British Royal Family Current Events 10: July 2018 - Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Duke of Gloucester as Grand Prior of the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem and Princess Anne as Commandant-in-Chief (Youth) of St. John Ambulance with husband Tim attended the St. John's Day Service of Commemoration and Rededication at St. Paul's Cathedral today, June 25:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Last edited:
Wonderful to se the Queen at Holyroodhouse this year!

As part of the Royal Week Queen Elizabeth attended an Armed Forces Act of Loyalty Parade at the Palace of Holyroodhouse today, June 28:

** gettyimages gallery ** rex gallery ** dailymail article **

Afterwards she presented Her Majesty's Medal for Music for the year 2021 to John Wallace CBE at the Palace of Holyroodhouse:

** rex gallery **

And Princess Anne held an Investiture Ceremony at the Palace of Holyroodhouse:

** pa images gallery **

Last edited:
Today, June 29, at the Palace of Holyroodhouse, Queen Elizabeth received First Minister of Scotland Nicola Sturgeon and the Presiding Officer of the Scottish Parliament Alison Johnstone for audiences:

** Pic ** gettyimages gallery ** gettyimages gallery 2 **

Last edited:
The Prince of Wales during a visit to Edinburgh's Royal College of Surgeons in his new role as patron today 29 June

https://www.gettyimages.com/search/2/image?events=775830670

https://www.paimages.co.uk/headline/1885709

Prince Charles, Princess Anne, Sir Timothy Laurence, Earl and Countess of Wessex during a garden party at the Palace of Holyroodhouse today

https://media.gettyimages.com/photo...ince-charles-picture-id1241609318?s=2048x2048

https://www.gettyimages.com/search/2/image?events=775830673

Last edited:
The Prince of Wales/Duke of Rothesay and Princess Anne attended the Thistle Service at St Giles' Cathedral in Edinburgh today, June 30:

** rex gallery **

Queen Elizabeth and the Prince of Wales attended the Queen's Body Guard for Scotland Reddendo Parade in the gardens of the Palace of Holyroodhouse:

** rex gallery **

Last edited:
Queen Elizabeth and the Prince of Wales attended the Queen's Body Guard for Scotland Reddendo Parade in the gardens of the Palace of Holyroodhouse:

** rex gallery **

Video from today

" The Earl of Wessex and Forfar meets @DofE participants from across North Lanarkshire as they prepare for their expeditions. Great to meet so many of you and hear all about the skills you've learnt!"

Short video

Last edited by a moderator:
On the final day of the Royal Week at the Palace of Holyroodhouse, today, July 1, the Earl of Wessex hosted a Gold Award Celebration in the gardens of the Palace:

** gettyimages gallery **

Isnt morning dress standard for garden parties?

Either lounge suits or morning dress is OK, but most men go for morning dress.

Queen Elizabeth accompanied by the Prince of Wales presented the George Cross to representatives of the National Health Service at Windsor Castle today, July 12:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** rex gallery **

In the evening the Prince of Wales, on behalf of Queen Elizabeth gave a reception at Buckingham Palace for winners of The Queen’s Awards for Enterprise.

Princess Anne , the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester and Princess Alexandra were present as well:

** gettyimages gallery: GBR: The Prince Of Wales Hosts The Queen's Awards For Enterprise Reception **

Last edited:
Queen Elizabeth accompanied by the Prince of Wales presented the George Cross to representatives of the National Health Service at Windsor Castle today, July 12:

Here's a video of today's ceremony at Windsor Castle

A video from the Queen and Princess Anne today

Nice to see the queen and Princess Royal at this event today.

I would expect Charles to open the games and Edward to close them as has happened at most games in the 21st century (The Queen opened the games in person in 2002, 2006 and 2014). Since she has stopped travelling Charles went to Delhi and the Gold Coast to open the games there and Edward has been closing them for a long time - taking over that job from his father.

I do wonder how many more Commonwealth Games there will be. The reports are that they had to go begging to Victoria to host the games in 2026 and they were supposed to announce the 2030 host at the same time as the 2026 ones but there are no cities/countries who have put their hands up. Canada hasn't hosted the Comm Games in the 20th century (other than India only Australia and the UK have hosted which points to a massive issue with the games).

Admittedly the Olympics only had one taker for 2032 and two for 2024 and 2028 so Paris got 2024 and LA 2028 as they were the only two who had their hats in the ring for those two games.

I would expect Charles to open the games and Edward to close them as has happened at most games in the 21st century (The Queen opened the games in person in 2002, 2006 and 2014). Since she has stopped travelling Charles went to Delhi and the Gold Coast to open the games there and Edward has been closing them for a long time - taking over that job from his father.

I do wonder how many more Commonwealth Games there will be. The reports are that they had to go begging to Victoria to host the games in 2026 and they were supposed to announce the 2030 host at the same time as the 2026 ones but there are no cities/countries who have put their hands up. Canada hasn't hosted the Comm Games in the 20th century (other than India only Australia and the UK have hosted which points to a massive issue with the games).

Admittedly the Olympics only had one taker for 2032 and two for 2024 and 2028 so Paris got 2024 and LA 2028 as they were the only two who had their hats in the ring for those two games.

There must be a huge cost to any city/ country that takes it on. Do they really see a return for the money, i.e. future tourism.

The last games in Australia were on the Gold Coast. I doubt that having the Comm Games there did anything to boost and area where tourism is already the major industry and which is one of the world's major tourist destinations anyway.

As for Victoria (note it is a state and not a city that will host in 2026) the games will largely be in rural cities. I can see an increase in Aussies wanting to visit but not really overseas. These rural areas have their own charms but I can't really see foreign tourists wanting to spend the limited time they usually have to visit Australia taking the time to get from Melbourne to one of these places and back again.

Most Olympic cities end up with a series of white elephant venues that aren't used much after the games, if at all. Sydney and London got it right by either using existing stadia or having temporary ones. Even the Olympic stadium in Sydney was always planned to be reconfigured from an athletic venue to a football venue, which it now is.

The last games in Australia were on the Gold Coast. I doubt that having the Comm Games there did anything to boost and area where tourism is already the major industry and which is one of the world's major tourist destinations anyway.

As for Victoria (note it is a state and not a city that will host in 2026) the games will largely be in rural cities. I can see an increase in Aussies wanting to visit but not really overseas. These rural areas have their own charms but I can't really see foreign tourists wanting to spend the limited time they usually have to visit Australia taking the time to get from Melbourne to one of these places and back again.

Most Olympic cities end up with a series of white elephant venues that aren't used much after the games, if at all. Sydney and London got it right by either using existing stadia or having temporary ones. Even the Olympic stadium in Sydney was always planned to be reconfigured from an athletic venue to a football venue, which it now is.

Queensland and Channel 7 made a loss big time. The lack of overseas tourists coming for the Games, as well as viewership down, it was a disaster. Like Sydney, Queensland didn't fork out a lot on infrastructure. I think Metricon stadium was upgraded from when the Queensland Bears moved to the Gabba, used for the Games and is now the home of Gold Coast Suns.

British Royal Family Current Events 10: July 2018

It's time for a new thread, which you can find here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom