British Royal Family Current Events 10: July 2018 - Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, theoratically Catherine could have been "appointed" principle hostess at this event, too. This has nothing to do with "Prince of the Blood". If that would play any role, Edward and Alexandra would have lead this invitation to BP (Pcss Alexandra was in fact so "invisible", I haven´t seen any footage of her at this event so far....The reason for that is of course by the media who decide who´ll be covered and who is not. And obviously elderly cousins of HM in the back rows of the monarchy are not of particular interest these days...).
In fact, they didn´t, but obviously, as someone claimed, it was Prince Edward and the Countess of Wessex.

Before I read this thread, I thought it was an "equal rights" host/ess occasion, just doing this engagement together. Well, now we have what we so often see on royal forums in the net: the usual discussion about who is "more important" than the other one... I think this says much more about us, the "royal watchers" than the Royals themselves...!
You can say what you want, but as Pr. William´s wife, after Camilla, Cath. Cambridge will be the next Queen after her and by that will always play a prominent part in and for the royal family. And yes, the Jubilee will be about the Queen and her family - which also the Dchss of Cambridge, Sophie Wessex or Sir Timothy Lawrence are part of - and I´m very certain The Queen also regards them as such!

Whatever the spin may have made in this, the host was Prince Edward on behalf of the Queen. Catherine was subordinate to Edward, just as she was subordinate to Anne at a previous engagement.

Whatever the spin may have made in this, the host was Prince Edward on behalf of the Queen. Catherine was subordinate to Edward, just as she was subordinate to Anne at a previous engagement.

I agree, when William isn't present I would say that Edward and Alexandra take precedence.

According to a newspaper report, the British royal family is stepping up its aid for refugees from Ukraine. The Daily Express reports that members of the royal family have taken in Ukrainians. The paper does not write who it is. The royals would be "working behind the scenes on a number of projects and wanted to keep their contribution private". A palace spokesman told the "Express": "We support in various ways, but will not comment further." It wouldn't be the first time the palace has taken in refugees. During World War II, Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands and King Haakon VII of Norway and his son Prince Olav, who had fled the Nazis, found refuge there.

I agree, when William isn't present I would say that Edward and Alexandra take precedence.

I don't think Alexandra as only a cousin takes precedence over a grandson's wife. William is normally being given precedence over his uncles and aunts which he officially doesn't have, so 'demoting' Catherine to her rightful place (which is after the queen's children) makes sense but demoting her to behind the queen's female cousins (who are lowest of ALL among the (listed) women in the royal family) would be quite a stretch:

The full order (for women):
  1. The Sovereign --> Queen Elizabeth
  2. The Queen --> N/A
  3. Queens dowager --> N/A.
  4. The Princess of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall and Rothesay i.e. the wife of the Sovereign's eldest son. --> The Duchess of Cornwall
  5. Wives of the Sovereign's younger sons --> The Countess of Wessex
  6. The Sovereign's daughters --> The Princess Royal
  7. Wives of the Sovereign's grandsons --> The Duchess of Cambridge, The Duchess of Sussex
  8. The Sovereign's granddaughters --> Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie, Lady Louise, Zara Tindall
  9. Wives of the sovereign's brothers --> N/A
  10. The Sovereign's sisters --> N/A
  11. Wives of the Sovereign's uncles --> N/A
  12. The Sovereign's aunts --> N/A
  13. Wives of the Sovereign's nephews --> N/A
  14. The Sovereign's nieces --> Lady Sarah Chatto
  15. Wives of the sovereign's cousins --> The Duchess of Gloucester, The Duchess of Kent, Princess Michael of Kent
  16. The Sovereign's cousins --> Princess Alexandra

I don't think Alexandra as only a cousin takes precedence over a grandson's wife. William is normally being given precedence over his uncles and aunts which he officially doesn't have, so 'demoting' Catherine to her rightful place (which is after the queen's children) makes sense but demoting her to behind the queen's female cousins (who are lowest of ALL among the (listed) women in the royal family) would be quite a stretch:

The full order (for women):
  1. The Sovereign --> Queen Elizabeth
  2. The Queen --> N/A
  3. Queens dowager --> N/A.
  4. The Princess of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall and Rothesay i.e. the wife of the Sovereign's eldest son. --> The Duchess of Cornwall
  5. Wives of the Sovereign's younger sons --> The Countess of Wessex
  6. The Sovereign's daughters --> The Princess Royal
  7. Wives of the Sovereign's grandsons --> The Duchess of Cambridge, The Duchess of Sussex
  8. The Sovereign's granddaughters --> Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie, Lady Louise, Zara Tindall
  9. Wives of the sovereign's brothers --> N/A
  10. The Sovereign's sisters --> N/A
  11. Wives of the Sovereign's uncles --> N/A
  12. The Sovereign's aunts --> N/A
  13. Wives of the Sovereign's nephews --> N/A
  14. The Sovereign's nieces --> Lady Sarah Chatto
  15. Wives of the sovereign's cousins --> The Duchess of Gloucester, The Duchess of Kent, Princess Michael of Kent
  16. The Sovereign's cousins --> Princess Alexandra

It's not all about the order of succession, I recall that when Charles married Camilla the Queen altered the order of precedence so that Anne and Alexandra would outrank her on occasions where Charles wasn't present. These are born royal princesses the daughter and granddaughter of Sovereigns. Kate is only a girl from a small village in Berkshire who got a title purely from marrying a royal.

It's not all about the order of succession, I recall that when Charles married Camilla the Queen altered the order of precedence so that Anne and Alexandra would outrank her on occasions where Charles wasn't present. These are born royal princesses the daughter and granddaughter of Sovereigns. Kate is only a girl from a small village in Berkshire who got a title purely from marrying a royal.

True, I was not writing about the order of succession (which is quite clear as not all children go before all grandchildren in the order of succession) the above was about the official order of precedence. The instance you refer to was for private occasions, for those the queen indeed altered the order of precedence for women at some point elevating both Anne and Alexandra (not others such as her granddaughters; Diana also was always ahead of princess of the blood) but this was a mixed and public occasion, so there is no reason why Alexandra would be ahead of Catherine. If she had been, Alexandra would have stood next to Edward but the two 'married-ins' stood next to Edward.

And Catherine is not 'only a girl form a small village in Berkshire' (what is wrong with that?!) but the future queen. I am quite sure the queen wouldn't be pleased to see people not paying proper respect to the wife of one of her heirs. She fully accepted both Camilla and Catherine and clearly values them as was evidenced by her recent decision on Camilla and her mentioning of these ladies in her latest Christmas speech.

Last edited:
Yes I thought the Queen had it that when it is ladies only royal born females ranked higher than those who married in. It makes sense to me to be fair, especially when you are talking about the likes of Anne and Alexandra who have served the RF and Crown much longer than any of the current married ins (bar perhaps The Duchess of Gloucester)

Either way it was a lovely event and the media will always pick out their own "stars" despite whatever is actually going on

Well that could be said about anyone. "Oh, she's only a Teck of a morganatic marriage", "oh she's only an Earl's daughter". That would have been the equivalent of Kate Middleton back in the day.

This Jubilee Year is all about The Queen and her family and not Catherine and the also-rans. The media and royal reporters really need to get it right on such auspicious occasions and I find the elevation of Catherine to the star demeaning especially when HM is unable to host many of the scheduled previous engagements.

Why is it a bad thing if when HM is unable to host things that her popular granddaughter in law is the star? When HM opened Elizabeth Line the papers were over the moon with HM on every front page and for other events. And from my own talking anecdotally to colleagues and from many stories there is still a sense that she is the star.

However many of the "also rans" have been carrying out vital engagements all over the world on behalf of HM. Catherine is a part of her family. As is someone like Mike Tindall who whilst he doesn't carry out engagements and is not a "royal" certainly seems to have some blessing to share his version of events when appropriate.

My intent was only to point out that certain media outlets focus entirely on Catherine whenever she is present which, in this jubilee year, really grates. HM is using her entire family, even those who are not "working" royals to cover as many events in many different places and in some cases, countries to share the celebration.

This highlights yet another facet of our Queen and her reign, her family and, as a result of her longevity, their families, spouses and even their children and how they are working together to widen the scope of this celebration. To highlight any one member and ignore others also present is insulting. To ignore Prince Edward, HM's youngest son, the designated 'Host" is just plain rude.

Hmm - The palace and the Earl of Wessex's office are aware of the problem.
And this is going to be an issue going forward. Edward is reluctant to do high profile engagements and point blank resistant to do military engagements. He and his office know that they are more likely to get negative press if any press to the cause that he is there to highlight. His office pointed out that opening of the Elizabeth line was not going to be covered with Edward opening the line - and I think that that was a large reason why the Queen jumped in.
Currently the way they appear to be doing this is that high profile events - Edward will be accompanied by a royal with a larger media pull - the Cambridge's or Sophie. Not only will this bring the press in for the event to actually be covered.

Last edited:
Especially with women, the media will always focus on either relatively young, glamorous women, or on elderly "beloved grandmother of the nation" women. Until recently, and maybe arguably even now, it's the been the same with Hollywood. And women make for better front page photos than men because of the interest in what they're wearing: there isn't the same interest in men's clothes, because royal men tend to be wearing plain, ordinary suits, or dinner jackets for a formal evening occasion.

It's not very fair, but an attractive 40-year-old woman in a glamorous dress is always going to get more attention than a balding, ordinary-looking man in his late 50s, wearing a boring suit.

According to the court Circular (On the royal.uk site) The Earl of Wessex, on behalf of the Queen, and the Countess of Wessex, gave an afternoon party in the garden of Buckingham Palace, The Duchess of Cambridge and Princess Alexandra were also present.

Well, theoratically Catherine could have been "appointed" principle hostess at this event, too. [...]
In fact, they didn´t, but obviously, as someone claimed, it was Prince Edward and the Countess of Wessex.

The someone who claimed that the Earl of Wessex was the host (to be more exact, the Queen's representative) at the event was the official Court Circular, as VictoriaB mentioned. The entry can be verified by searching in the Court Circular section of the official website:

https://www.royal.uk/court-circular

18 May 2022
Windsor Castle

The Earl of Wessex, on behalf of The Queen, and The Countess of Wessex gave an Afternoon Party in the garden of Buckingham Palace.

The Duchess of Cambridge and Princess Alexandra, the Hon. Lady Ogilvy were present.​

Before I read this thread, I thought it was an "equal rights" host/ess occasion, just doing this engagement together. Well, now we have what we so often see on royal forums in the net: the usual discussion about who is "more important" than the other one... I think this says much more about us, the "royal watchers" than the Royals themselves...!

But the entries in the Court Circular were not written by royal watchers; they are submitted by the offices of the royals themselves.

Well, theoratically Catherine could have been "appointed" principle hostess at this event, too. This has nothing to do with "Prince of the Blood". If that would play any role, Edward and Alexandra would have lead this invitation to BP (Pcss Alexandra was in fact so "invisible", I haven´t seen any footage of her at this event so far....The reason for that is of course by the media who decide who´ll be covered and who is not. And obviously elderly cousins of HM in the back rows of the monarchy are not of particular interest these days...).

Are you suggesting that media coverage plays a role in determining the order of precedence? That fact that the Earl of Wessex was the official host of the party even though the Duchess of Cambridge received more media coverage would seem to contraindicate that.

I will respond further regarding the order of precedence in its own thread.

https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/order-of-precedence-6536-62.html#post2469828

ETA: See especially this report from 2005, which is not clear (in my opinion) on whether public and private events differ as relates to precedence.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-351948/Camilla-Britains-Fourth-Lady-.html

Last edited:
This might be the largest representation of the BRF attending the 2022 Garden Parties. :flowers:

And a video also of the Garden Party today

The someone who claimed that the Earl of Wessex was the host (to be more exact, the Queen's representative) at the event was the official Court Circular, as VictoriaB mentioned. The entry can be verified by searching in the Court Circular section of the official website:

https://www.royal.uk/court-circular
18 May 2022
Windsor Castle

The Earl of Wessex, on behalf of The Queen, and The Countess of Wessex gave an Afternoon Party in the garden of Buckingham Palace.

The Duchess of Cambridge and Princess Alexandra, the Hon. Lady Ogilvy were present.​
But the entries in the Court Circular were not written by royal watchers; they are submitted by the offices of the royals themselves.

Are you suggesting that media coverage plays a role in determining the order of precedence? That fact that the Earl of Wessex was the official host of the party even though the Duchess of Cambridge received more media coverage would seem to contraindicate that.

I will respond further regarding the order of precedence in its own thread.

https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/order-of-precedence-6536-62.html#post2469828QUOTE]

No I don´t. I just state it is no wonder why The Duchess of Cambridge is considered by some, especially the tabloids or digital media, as the hostess of this garden party while other members of the RF which are considered less popular or "interesting", are obviously considered as "supporting cast", which lead to this kind of misunderstandings.
I don´t say this is right or fair, I just say this is a phenomenon we witness at least since Diana arrived .From that moment on, family members like the Princess Royal, Margaret for instance - and even the Queen didn´t get the coverage anymore they had before. That only changed again since HM´s Golden Jubilee in 2002 and The Queen grew and grew in her popularity again.
Well, at today´s garden party obviously the Cambridges were principle hosts, standing in the middle during the national anthem where The Queen and the D o Edinburgh used to stand, flanked by the other Royals present, before walking down to the waiting crowd.

Last edited:
I guess in many ways people expect Catherine as a future Queen to outrank the youngest of the Queen's children. The order of precedence is really a bit of a mess in relation to modern practice within the RF.
As for media wise - they will always focus on the younger royals, that is universally acknowledged even by the family itself.

The Daily Mail is reporting that the Queen will not attend the Opening Ceremony of the Commonwealth Games.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...e-Charles-expected-replace-monarch-month.html

The Queen will miss this summer’s Commonwealth Games in Birmingham, with Prince Charles being lined up to represent her.
Senior figures around the sporting competition have told the Daily Mail that due to her increasing frailty the 96-year-old monarch, who is also Head of the Commonwealth, is not expected to attend.
The Prince of Wales is set to stand in for his mother at the opening ceremony next month, with an extensive turnout from other members of the Royal Family given that the competition is on home ground.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are likely to attend on several days, possibly along with their children.

The Daily Mail is reporting that the Queen will not attend the Opening Ceremony of the Commonwealth Games.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...e-Charles-expected-replace-monarch-month.html

That is too bad, although I am glad that she is not forcing herself to attend these events. I'm sure she will hold as many in person meetings as she can but leaving Windsor may be a very rare occasion in the future.

On the bright side, the Daily Mail reports that the Cambridge children will be there. I hope that includes Louis:D

The Duchess of Cornwall as Colonel-in-Chief of The Rifles and Royal Colonel of the 4th Battalion The Rifles attended the Rifles Sounding Retreat in London today, June 9. The Duke of Gloucester as Royal Colonel of the 6th Battalion The Rifles, The Duchess of Gloucester as Royal Colonel of 7th Battalion The Rifles attended as well.

** Pic ** gettyimages gallery **

Last edited:
She does seem to take great pride in her military patronages and enjoy them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buckingham Palace/Palace of Holyroodhouse announced today that

"Members of the royal family will visit Scotland for Royal Week between Monday 27th June and Friday 1st July":

** Announcement/Programme **

Last edited:
Buckingham Palace/Palace of Holyroodhouse announced today that

"Members of the royal family will visit Scotland for Royal Week between Monday 27th June and Friday 1st July":

** Announcement/Programme **

Interestingly, neither Camilla nor Sophie are listed as being part of Royal Week.

The announcement mentions The Earl and Countess of Wessex and Forfar e.g. Ed and Sophie explicitly on Wednesday 28th June events. It doesn't mention Sophie of the 1st July event. Worth noting - a number of private schools break up then - maybe it is the children's last day in school of the academic year and Sophie wants to be home with them/for them.

What I find interesting is that normally when the Queen is doing Holyrood Week Charles is in Wales for his Welsh week visit. I wonder whether he will be travelling to and from Wales for engagements in Scotland or whether he will do Welsh week another time or is it not happening this year.

Going on past years this looks like the fairly normal involvement of the royals in Scotland when the Queen is there other than for the presence of the Duke of Rothesay. The Wessex's, or at least Edward, and Anne usually are there for the Garden Party to support The Queen and accompany her on one or two of her engagements - certainly since Philip's retirement.

Last edited:
I'd love it if William and Catherine stood in and did the Wales week for Charles while he does Holyrood Week for HM. But who knows, part of me would say it seems odd having Charles and the Cambridges both doing high profile visits at the same time but then if Charles usually does it at the same time as HM maybe it won't faze them.

Countess of Wessex, Princess Beatrix of Netherlands, Princess Alexandra, Prince Michael of kent with his family , Duchess of Gloucester, Lady Sarah Chatto , Zenouska Mowatt and Duchess of York attends at the service of celebration for The Lady Elizabeth Shakerley CVO also known as Lady Elizabeth Anson today 23 June in London

https://www.gettyimages.com/search/2/image?events=775829890
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2022/06/23/16/59439489-10946539-image-a-42_1655998855578.jpg

Article

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...in-close-friend-Lady-Elizabeth-Shakerley.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom