The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-10-2020, 05:15 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I actually think it is a generational thing - and he stood for a lady rather than for William.
Perhaps. But he made eye contact with William when he stood, so I'll stick to my interpretation.

Old 03-10-2020, 05:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
the Wessexes were very charming.
l agree.. it was lovely to see them 'pouring Balm' in what looked to be 'troubled waters' - their sheer kindness shines out of them.

Old 03-10-2020, 06:06 AM
Courtier

I do not think there is anything in the seating arrangements other than the number of royals that were there.
If the Sussexs had sat in the front row that would have left the Wessex's sitting themselves, it might have been different if Andrew or Anne had been there to fill out the pews.
Did anybody else notice the two men walking down the aisle with the Queen, they were following at the back, I found that strange, Am I right in saying they were security,
Old 03-10-2020, 06:16 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
Perhaps. But he made eye contact with William when he stood, so I'll stick to my interpretation.
Making eye contact with one person while simultaneously standing for a lady isn't that hard. If acknowledging William as a future King was the issue why didn't Sophie also stand? She would follow her husband's lead if that was the reason for her husband standing.

Being the same generation as Edward I would expect him to stand for a lady at all times - and also to allow them to enter before him, except in really formal situations.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:18 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
l agree.. it was lovely to see them 'pouring Balm' in what looked to be 'troubled waters' - their sheer kindness shines out of them.

Like how you phrased how they where, pouring Balm in what looked to be troubled waters.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:50 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
Yes, the Wessexes were very charming. I liked when Edward stood for William. A respectful acknowledgment of William's position. Catherine and Sophie always get on so well, so it's nice when they are seated near each other.
I completely agree. Regardless of why Edward stood, whether it was in acknowledgement of William's position or in acknowledgement of Catherine's presence, it was nice to see. I agree that the Cambridges and the Wessexes always appear to very much enjoy each other's company and the Cambridges are always so kind to the Wessex children on those occasions when they happen to appear to appear together. I think it's safe to say that Catherine has lovely relationships with both Sophie and Louise and might even act as a bit of an "aunt" for Louise at times. These two really are two of my absolute favorite royal couples and it was lovely to see them interact yesterday, as always.
Old 03-10-2020, 11:56 AM
Courtier

Does anyone here know of a link to an image of the Order of Service for the Commonwealth Day service?
Old 03-10-2020, 12:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post
Does anyone here know of a link to an image of the Order of Service for the Commonwealth Day service?
Here it is in PDF format:

https://www.westminster-abbey.org/me...rvice-2020.pdf
Old 03-10-2020, 12:46 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post

The OOS is available online on the Westminster Abbey webpage;

https://www.westminster-abbey.org/me...rvice-2020.pdf
Old 03-10-2020, 12:46 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
l watched it too.. and Sussex looked incredibly uncomfortable, and 'ill at ease', in an environment he's been familiar with his whole life.
Whether itís stress, jet lag, feeling under the weather, who knows, but Harry hasnít looked especially well since he arrived back in the UK.

I can understand both brothers and their wives being uncomfortable at the Abbey event, especially, as they must have known how their every little movement and interaction would be under the microscope. The snippets I saw of them at the service did look stiff. But forced joviality has no place at a religious service.

As a general observation, I find it hard to believe, but itís only been a couple of months since Harry and Meghan made their announcement. In a way Iím glad that the family didnít try to rush things back to business as usual when theyíre really only at the very beginning of what must be a painful and awkward process.

Edward and Sophie did a wonderful job of injecting a little bit of normality into the situation.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Court Circular 9th March:
Buckingham Palace

The Queen this afternoon attended the Commonwealth Day Observance Service in Westminster Abbey and was received by the Dean of Westminster (the Very Reverend Dr David Hoyle) and the Chairman of the Council of Commonwealth Societies (the Lord Howell of Guildford).

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and The Earl and Countess of Wessex were also present.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Today, March 11, is the Cheltenham Festival's Ladies Day. The Duchess of Cornwall, Princess Anne, Zara and Mike have been pictured:

** pa gallery ** dailymail article ** rex gallery **

** gettyimages: GBR: The Cheltenham Festival 2020 - Day Two **
Old 03-11-2020, 08:58 AM
Majesty

Following the frosty disaster that was the Commonwealth Service I am beginning to think they are well shot of the BRF. The meddling of so-called Courtiers has been an underlying poison for over forty years.

Ommitting the Sussexes from the Royal Procession was a petty and mean action since the Sussexes do not cease being working Royals until the end of the month. It was a petty slap in the face intended to cause division and humiliation and I for one do not believe was instigated by HM or Charles.

Had it been sanctioned, nothing would have changed and the Cambridge's would have been at the head of the procession. They were not and instead we were treated to a shocking public display is bad manners.

HM and Charles knew that all eyes would be on the BRF before and during the televised service as the popularity of the Sussexes notwithstanding, this was an historic moment which is probably why the Cambridge's ended up not joining the procession.

However, the frosty 'cut direct' delivered to Harry and Meghan by his elder brother and his wife was in no way subtle and discreet and just for kicks and grins, while they all ignore the so-called body language experts they would do well to recognise that the wonders of technology now produce clear, crisp, sharp pictures. Lip readers now have a very high degree of accuracy in their translation.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:08 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Follo before and during the televised service as the popularity of the Sussexes notwithstanding, this was an historic moment which is probably why the Cambridge's ended up not joining the procession.

However, the frosty 'cut direct' delivered to Harry and Meghan by his elder brother and his wife was in no way subtle and discreet and just for kicks and grins, while they all ignore the so-called body language experts they would do well to recognise that the wonders of technology now produce clear, crisp, sharp pictures. Lip readers now have a very high degree of accuracy in their translation.
what was said? Harry and Meghan? Did Will and Kate say something chilly?
Old 03-11-2020, 12:00 PM
Serene Highness

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Following the frosty disaster that was the Commonwealth Service I am beginning to think they are well shot of the BRF. The meddling of so-called Courtiers has been an underlying poison for over forty years.

Ommitting the Sussexes from the Royal Procession was a petty and mean action since the Sussexes do not cease being working Royals until the end of the month. It was a petty slap in the face intended to cause division and humiliation and I for one do not believe was instigated by HM or Charles.

Had it been sanctioned, nothing would have changed and the Cambridge's would have been at the head of the procession. They were not and instead we were treated to a shocking public display is bad manners.

HM and Charles knew that all eyes would be on the BRF before and during the televised service as the popularity of the Sussexes notwithstanding, this was an historic moment which is probably why the Cambridge's ended up not joining the procession.

I guess Iím confused as to why itís a big deal as, earlier in the thread (recently, though), it was stated that not all the working Royals did a procession... Should the Sussexes have been treated differently? Iím asking honestly....I canít imagine this was meant to be a slap in the face to them, especially if HM and Charles signed off on it.

As to the brothers, I guess maybe the Mail might have been right about the dust up between the Cambridges and Sussexes about the latter not being in the procession.

Sigh, this is all so sad.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:05 PM
Serene Highness

Am I missing something? I thought nobody processed except HM, Charles and Camilla? How is it a slight to the Sussexes?

Also- if William and/or Kate are perceived as frosty....well, Harry is the one who chose to reveal that he and William werenít getting along. Why bother pretending everything is great if the catís out of the bag. I certainly wasnít expecting animated chit chat between them like we saw with the Wessexes.

And- Harryís acknowledgement was made before Harry and Meghan made a total PR mess out of this exit from the announcement to their website updates. Wouldnít stun me if they still have a few more issues to work out now.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:17 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
Am I missing something? I thought nobody processed except HM, Charles and Camilla? How is it a slight to the Sussexes?

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were due to process, but this was changed at the eleventh hour so they would go straight to their seats.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:22 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were due to process, but this was changed at the eleventh hour so they would go straight to their seats.

So if neither processed, I guess I donít see how itís a slight. Regardless of when the change was made.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:49 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
So if neither processed, I guess I donít see how itís a slight. Regardless of when the change was made.

It can be viewed as a slight that current senior royals, which they are up until the 31st March. Werenít asked/consulted on whether they would like to have ďprocessedĒ, as they did last year.

It is rumoured that the Cambridgeís chose not to process at the eleventh hour to make it look better. This arrangement was done in 2018, in 2019 they all processed.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:58 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
It can be viewed as a slight that current senior royals, which they are up until the 31st March. Werenít asked/consulted on whether they would like to have ďprocessedĒ, as they did last year.

It is rumoured that the Cambridgeís chose not to process at the eleventh hour to make it look better. This arrangement was done in 2018, in 2019 they all processed.

Okay. I see your point.

Still- wasnít Harry and Meghanís first announcement that they are no longer senior royals anyway? That was what they said they wanted. Youíd think it wouldnít be a massive issue to them since that part was their idea anyway.

In the end, neither did. So it seems like an attempt was made to smooth things over.

Tags
british royal family, current events