The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-09-2020, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Members of the Royal Family attend the Commonwealth Service at Westminster Abbey.

Old 03-09-2020, 01:34 PM
Serene Highness

I think the powers that be successfully managed to keep this event about the Commenwealth and not Meghan and Harry.

Old 03-09-2020, 01:59 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Members of the Royal Family attend the Commonwealth Service at Westminster Abbey.

Thanks for the link - interesting that Charles out of habit reached out to shake the churchman’s hand, then quickly w/drew his hand - the new normal I suppose~
ETA article https://www.bustle.com/p/prince-char...ously-22603674
Old 03-09-2020, 03:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
So when the royals arrive, they wait for The Queen who arrives last, and process (walk) up the main aisle as a group to their seats. It’s now been decided that the Sussexes, Cambridge’s and Wessexes will not process. They will go straight to their seats and not wait for The Queen. As ACO says this happened in 2018, it’s not good bad or indifferent really.
Thanks ! Hmm, I want to read something into it (not necessarily bad), but I won’t ...though it’s interesting in any case.

Loving Camilla in blue ! Everyone looks gorgeous ...
Old 03-09-2020, 03:29 PM
Heir Apparent

No visible [cosmetic, or otherwise] interaction betwixt the Brothers and their respective wives, then ?

Each couple departed the Abbey at distinctly separate intervals, not 'mingling' whilst waiting for their respective Cars, as they often have in the past.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:35 PM
Gentry

Well, they're leaving and who knows what next. Brothers didn't want to pretend.. Now we can see..
Old 03-09-2020, 03:38 PM
Courtier

I really wish I had better lip reading skills. I'd love to know what Sophie and Catherine were discussing. I saw Sophie's eyebrows go up as she said "really?" and then made a little "hm" type of face but I'd love to know what was really said. They really did look like two old friends chatting but I can't tell if it was girl gossip, kid stories, or what.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:44 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
I really wish I had better lip reading skills. I'd love to know what Sophie and Catherine were discussing. I saw Sophie's eyebrows go up as she said "really?" and then made a little "hm" type of face but I'd love to know what was really said. They really did look like two old friends chatting but I can't tell if it was girl gossip, kid stories, or what.

I am right there with you.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:11 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Thanks ! Hmm, I want to read something into it (not necessarily bad), but I won’t ...though it’s interesting in any case.
It was to stop the gossip and making the event about Meghan and Harry. And I love people saying oh the family decided it over dinner. The advisors decided it. End off. If you are going to survive as a family business like this you need your 'agents' ie your advisors to speak for you and to stay out of it yourself. Michelle Obama made it clear that if she didn't agree with something her husband was doing. She would get her secretary to talk to his. It may sound cold but its essential.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:22 PM
Serene Highness

The original plan had been for the Cambridges to walk with the Queen and Charles and Camilla, The Sussex's were to go straight to their seats. For whatever reason the plans were changed, and the Cambridges went straight to their seats. We can only guess as to why.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:27 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
It was to stop the gossip and making the event about Meghan and Harry. And I love people saying oh the family decided it over dinner. The advisors decided it. End off.
I completely disagree. It clearly wasn't about gossip or making this event about Meghan and Henry, as this choice for the non procession has happened before in 2018. The non-procession had absolutely no effect on the headlines, we still have the last engagement nonsense, the final send off and the over analysing of their body language, movement and lip reading.

If it had just been Meghan and Henry taking their seats, then perhaps the analogy might have worked but it was Cambridges, Sussexes and Wessexes. Now they had the same amount of time to talk to each other, seated as they would have had if they were stood waiting for The Queen.

I think this was very much decided last minute, either to stop the gathering of people at the entrance, or to speed the process along.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:50 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I completely disagree. It clearly wasn't about gossip or making this event about Meghan and Henry, as this choice for the non procession has happened before in 2018. The non-procession had absolutely no effect on the headlines, we still have the last engagement nonsense, the final send off and the over analysing of their body language, movement and lip reading.

If it had just been Meghan and Henry taking their seats, then perhaps the analogy might have worked but it was Cambridges, Sussexes and Wessexes. Now they had the same amount of time to talk to each other, seated as they would have had if they were stood waiting for The Queen.

I think this was very much decided last minute, either to stop the gathering of people at the entrance, or to speed the process along.
It was to stop gossip that the Cambridges were not processing.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:55 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
It was to stop gossip that the Cambridges were not processing.

I’m confused, what do you mean?

I haven’t seen a copy of the Order of Service, but up until this morning my understanding had been that everyone would process like usual. This morning it was confirmed that Henry and Meghan wouldn’t, whether they were in the original OOS hasn’t been mentioned. It was then rumoured, then confirmed that the Cambridge’s and Wessexes would now also not be processing. Cambridge’s were confirmed as should have been processing as per the OOS.

Where does the gossip occur?
Old 03-09-2020, 05:11 PM
Serene Highness

I saw a copy of the order of service online this morning but I cannot find it now, the Cambridges were to walk with the queen and Charles and Camilla, that then changed and they went directly to their seats. From what I recall the Wessex and Sussex were always to go straight to their seats.
Old 03-09-2020, 05:12 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
I saw a copy of the order of service online this morning but I cannot find it now, the Cambridges were to walk with the queen and Charles and Camilla, that then changed and they went directly to their seats. From what I recall the Wessex and Sussex were always to go straight to their seats.
In 2018 only Charles and Camilla walked with HM and everyone else went straight to their seats. Last year Harry and Meghan along with William and Catherine all walked with Charles and Camilla and HM.
Old 03-09-2020, 05:14 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I’m confused, what do you mean?

I haven’t seen a copy of the Order of Service, but up until this morning my understanding had been that everyone would process like usual. This morning it was confirmed that Henry and Meghan wouldn’t, whether they were in the original OOS hasn’t been mentioned. It was then rumoured, then confirmed that the Cambridge’s and Wessexes would now also not be processing. Cambridge’s were confirmed as should have been processing as per the OOS.

Where does the gossip occur?
To stop the Cambridges. The press would have a field day with that. Harry and Meghan ousted by the family etc, etc. Instead they made the very wise call to send them all to their seats and let Charles and Camilla walk with her. It stopped the whole.event from being taken over by the media with a Meghan and Harry spin.
Old 03-09-2020, 05:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
To stop the Cambridges. The press would have a field day with that. Harry and Meghan ousted by the family etc, etc. Instead they made the very wise call to send them all to their seats and let Charles and Camilla walk with her. It stopped the whole.event from being taken over by the media with a Meghan and Harry spin.

Exactly, even though the scenario that played out today has happened before the press will ignore that fact!
The order of service online this morning stated that the Cambridge’s would walk with the Queen, Charles and Camilla. Obviously that was changed at some point before the event.

I watched parts of the service, I feel like Meghan was much more at ease than Harry. She smiled brightly at everyone and seemed happy to be there. I could be reading him wrong, I am no body language expert, I felt Harry was tense and the weight of today being his last day as a senior royal was really weighing him. He has been attending special events in Westminster Abbey since childhood, it must have been so sad in a way for him to be there today.
Old 03-09-2020, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Another video of the Commonwealth Service at the Abbey from the BBC

Old 03-09-2020, 05:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I felt Harry was tense and the weight of today being his last day as a senior royal was really weighing him.
l watched it too.. and Sussex looked incredibly uncomfortable, and 'ill at ease', in an environment he's been familiar with his whole life.
Old 03-09-2020, 05:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
It was to stop the gossip and making the event about Meghan and Harry. And I love people saying oh the family decided it over dinner. The advisors decided it. End off. If you are going to survive as a family business like this you need your 'agents' ie your advisors to speak for you and to stay out of it yourself. Michelle Obama made it clear that if she didn't agree with something her husband was doing. She would get her secretary to talk to his. It may sound cold but its essential.
Why would they want to make this about M and H? This isn't their day......and also, I don't see how this actually does make it about them. Maybe it's more about Charles - and Camilla - as he is the heir.

Tags
british royal family, current events