The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Old 12-30-2022, 02:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Unless he was a genius at painting is it really likely that he is going to paint something wonderful at 9 yrs of age? why would anyone expect it?
Old 12-30-2022, 06:43 PM
Courtier

TBF, even an art student in an art school at some point will be asked to "copy" a known work by their instructor either in the form of complete duplication or making their own interpretation of said work. It's the ability (to paint it) which is counted, not to object of said painting.

Rebecca English (if not done other RR) tweeted her son's similar deer picture when commenting on George', so it seems like it's a common theme for an art class around Christmas. Surely it's rather common in primary school, not just in England, where the art teachers give a theme to their pupils of what to draw while giving them example and the whole class ends up drawing the same picture (with varying result, of course). I've been through such experience and I must admit even tough I tried my best to replicate my teacher drawing, mine didn't really do it justice (which is not the case for George's. I mean, his reindeer's eyes is "alive").

Here the tweet I'm referring:
https://www.twitter.com/RE_DailyMail...36909300760578

*the real deal breaker would be if it's actually his mother's but they claimed it as his.
Old 12-30-2022, 07:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor1319 View Post
Ok, Prince George is still a kid, but this is a bit disappointing - that he simply copied an existing painting!

And I thought, Oh my, look, a little artist, like this mini-Monet boy...
If I had copied that existing painting even at my age it wouldn't look half as good. I appreciate art but my talent is just mediocre.

Where I live the civic building are currently filled with lots of Year 3-6 art work, many of them deer and very well done so it is clearly a current theme, many of the very good Year 5/6s look comparable to George's.

To be honest when it first appeared I assumed he had been working from a photo of a stag at Balmoral or something, so this isn't much different.

The only thing that would spoil it for me would be it if was discovered that Kate had "helped" with 85% of it or something but I doubt that's the case.
Old 12-30-2022, 07:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Ok, Prince George is still a kid, but this is a bit disappointing - that he simply copied an existing painting!

And I thought, Oh my, look, a little artist, like this mini-Monet boy...
Having taught art to students of this age group for over a decade, providing an example for students to
follow is a typical and age appropriate teaching technique.
Old 12-30-2022, 07:42 PM
Heir Apparent

George is a kid. And it takes skill, talent, and practice to even be able to copy something reasonably well, so I don't think there's any need to be disappointed he didn't simply imagine this one.

Aside from which it's nice to not only know about one of his interests but see the evidence of it.
Old 12-30-2022, 08:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Having taught art to students of this age group for over a decade, providing an example for students to
follow is a typical and age appropriate teaching technique.
Yeah, it is just like, that he was in the years before painting these pictures of exploding volcanos and all, dinosaurs. And now... I am just afraid he was 'nudged', to paint the reindeer... Poor little Prince!
Old 12-30-2022, 09:37 PM
Heir Apparent

I am bit surprised too.
Here I was thinking that George was quite the artist- and yes with parents who are very much into art. It wouldn't surprise me if George had developed quite well artistically.

I think the fault lies in the way his painting was portrayed on the IG page.
It simply said painting by George. This falsely gave the impression that George was the originator of the painting.
Old 12-30-2022, 09:44 PM
Royal Highness

George is a 9 year old who drew a Christmas themed picture, nothing to get too hung up about.

Lets not verge on bullying.
Old 12-30-2022, 10:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Yeah, it is just like, that he was in the years before painting these pictures of exploding volcanos and all, dinosaurs. And now... I am just afraid he was 'nudged', to paint the reindeer... Poor little Prince!
It was likely an art class project so students could create a gift for their families. Most teachers typically have their students create handmade gifts for their families before their winter holiday break begins.
Old 01-10-2023, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I would be surprised if she went to a Christmas mass. Mass is a very Roman Catholic term and not usually used in relation to the CoE. We just say 'church' or a 'church service' - regardless of whether it is communion or simply a prayer service.

Divine Service was the first service of the day and the one which they all attended with children was simply a Morning Prayer service - some readings, some carols and a short sermon but not communion.

There was possibly something just lost in translation and I understood that the poster just meant the church Service.
Old 01-12-2023, 06:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Yep, Solus Deus, but aren't the British Royals since 1000 years on their throne by a higher blessing?
Not a 1000 years. The British monarchy only came into being in 1707 when Queen Anne became the first British monarch.

Tags
christmas