British Royal Christmas 1: 2008-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Crown will have no impact wahtsoever, IMO, on any public reaction that C&C may face, should they attend a service at a local Gloucestershire church for a Christmas service. Thankfully, life on the ground is still not akin to that on social media!

Yes, I'm not really sure I can see the locals lining up to boo them as they go to church on Christmas Day and are many people going to travel to rural Gloucestershire to yell insults and picket them on the off chance they're going to an in person service at one of the churches?

I don't think Republic protest the walk in normal years do they?

That said, taking a look at St Mary's Tetbury website, they're still doing Zoom services and haven't yet finalised anything for Christmas publicly. It's likely places will be extremely limited for in person worship if it goes ahead and you have to book in advance. So I don't know if we'll see them walk to anywhere on Christmas Day, although Charles might participate in the online versions of Canterbury's services again.

I can't decide which one looks more idyllic St Mary The Virgin or St Saviour's Church!

I doubt anyone's sad enough to travel to Highgrove on Christmas Day to boo Charles and Camilla because of their portrayal in a TV programme. I doubt crowds'd gather to cheer them either - it's not like Sandringham where the entire Royal Family's going to be there, rather than two people, and where it's become a tradition for people to go to watch. I'm not sure Charles is that fussed anyway - the Queen is genuinely into churchgoing, but I suspect that a lot of the others go because it's expected rather than because it's that much of a big thing for them.

I agree he may not be fussed about being a regular church goer like his mother but he does seem to know what he's talking about whenever he talks about his faith and it is clearly meaningful to him.

He also wrote a powerful obituary for Lord Sacks recently and credited him with being a personal religious instructor.

That said I do think it's unlikely we'll see either of them on their way to Church on Christmas morning for a number of reasons and even less that we'll see protestors or well wishers gathered. As I said upthread I don't rule out him appearing in an online service (pre recorded) for a reading or something.

I doubt anyone's sad enough to travel to Highgrove on Christmas Day to boo Charles and Camilla because of their portrayal in a TV programme. I doubt crowds'd gather to cheer them either - it's not like Sandringham where the entire Royal Family's going to be there, rather than two people, and where it's become a tradition for people to go to watch. I'm not sure Charles is that fussed anyway - the Queen is genuinely into churchgoing, but I suspect that a lot of the others go because it's expected rather than because it's that much of a big thing for them.

Charles is a churchgoer....

Victoria Arbiter has written an article on Honey (9 News Australia), focusing on how the British Royal Family celebrates Christmas throughout history and present time

Victoria Arbiter: The beautiful ways the royals have kept an old Christmas ritual alive
https://honey.nine.com.au/royals/ro...radition/16df0d33-ca5c-407b-93eb-378083969a14

I love Victoria, and this was an absolutely brilliant, wonderful article....what a fantastic idea, allowing any of us to contribute to the best of our abilities.

A lookback at the British Royal Family's Christmas Traditions in the past.

At 0.58 The Queen is referred to as Her Royal Highness.!?!

You would have thought this channel would at least have got that right.

Last edited:
At 0.58 The Queen is referred to as Her Royal Highness.!?!

You would have thought this channel would at least have got that right.

Yes I when I heard that I rolled my eyes up to heaven ;)

Aww, I'm happy about this - it really sounds wonderful, and a lot of fun!

The royal family is keeping in touch the way most of us are this holiday season! With new restrictions in the United Kingdom and Prince Harry and Meghan Markleliving in their Montecito, California, home, ET has learned that the royals will be conducting Zoom calls to check in with one another.

"The family is planning Zoom calls and games online because they can’t all spend Christmas at Sandringham together like they normally do," a source tells ET. It was previously announced that Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip will be breaking from tradition and spending the holidays at Windsor Castle.

"Everyone is on better terms and have been for quite some time," the source says of the family. "The relationship has improved and COVID has brought everyone closer together."

Both Prince Charles and Prince William contracted the coronavirus this year, and the source shares that the health struggles helped reconnect Prince Harry with his family after he and Meghan stepped down as senior royals in March.

"Harry was very concerned for his brother and father when they both contracted the disease," the source explains. "While there have been disagreements, like there are in every family, the brotherly bond remains intact despite tabloid reports."

https://www.etonline.com/how-prince...ch-over-holidays-as-relationship-has-improved

The royal family is keeping in touch the way most of us are this holiday season! With new restrictions in the United Kingdom and Prince Harry and Meghan Markleliving in their Montecito, California, home, ET has learned that the royals will be conducting Zoom calls to check in with one another.
That is sooo interesting! I wonder who would leak such an information to an American media outlet! To sound like a big, happy family!

That said, I really do hope that at least some of the families will be able to see each other (outside, socially distancing, of course) during the Christmas period.

That is sooo interesting! I wonder who would leak such an information to an American media outlet! To sound like a big, happy family!

That said, I really do hope that at least some of the families will be able to see each other (outside, socially distancing, of course) during the Christmas period.

Usually Katie Nicholls gets scoop for ET, but I suppose that’s not the case here...

Charles is almost certain to visit HM and Philip, even briefly, per reports from a couple of weeks ago. I imagine others might follow - they just won’t all be able to see each other...

I believe that it is true because even if their fathers' relationship might be a bit strained, I can't picture either of them refusing to share gifts with each other's family. Let's just hope that the gifts went out on time to ensure a delivery before Christmas Eve. ;)

The headline is misleading as the article mentions everyone in the family exchanging gifts, but I suppose that’s the bigger deal since William and Harry were feuding. Based on what I’ve recently posted, I certainly believe this is true...it seems in general that the BRF are in much better terms, and that’s a wonderful way to begin a new year.

Berkshire's just been put under the new Tier 4 restrictions, so no-one will be visiting Windsor over Christmas :-( - household visiting is completely banned in those areas. I would think that the Queen, like everyone else affected, is thoroughly fed up!

Berkshire's just been put under the new Tier 4 restrictions, so no-one will be visiting Windsor over Christmas :-( - household visiting is completely banned in those areas. I would think that the Queen, like everyone else affected, is thoroughly fed up!
Just saw that on the news and it will be a very different Royal Christmas.

I suspect the royals will be having a Zoom Christmas like most of us! The pandemic doesn't discriminate.

Oh no, that’s a shame; I was so happy that Charles was going to visit his parents......It feels like there’s no end in sight to this blasted virus.

Last edited:
There's a new strain of the virus in South East England, and the idea is to try to stop it spreading. Seeing as there were so many people at London railway stations last night, heading off to other parts of the country before the new rules came into force this morning - despite having been told not to - I'm afraid that the chances of containing it may be low :-(. Just as the vaccine brought hope, this has happened! The Queen probably feels like starting her speech with "Look, folks, Philip and I are as P.O.d as the rest of you"! But I'm sure she'll have something inspirational to say. We need it!

There's a new strain of the virus in South East England, and the idea is to try to stop it spreading. Seeing as there were so many people at London railway stations last night, heading off to other parts of the country before the new rules came into force this morning - despite having been told not to - I'm afraid that the chances of containing it may be low :-(. Just as the vaccine brought hope, this has happened! The Queen probably feels like starting her speech with "Look, folks, Philip and I are as P.O.d as the rest of you"! But I'm sure she'll have something inspirational to say. We need it!

Oh, I think it’s the right thing to do ...it’s just so sad. People have sacrificed so much to this virus - lives, of course, and also precious family time, especially with their elderly loved ones. That’s why I was so happy that Charles was going to visit Windsor even for just a brief time.

I saw photos of those train stations....absolutely mobbed. I, too, fear that this is going to spread....and if it is a new strain, then the new vaccines won’t be effective.

He's probably quite into it! He's always been a fan of new technology.

He's probably quite into it! He's always been a fan of new technology.

And I'm sure he loves being able to mute people at the touch of a button :whistling:?

I read somewhere that HM was trying to wait as long as possible to record the speech to be able to include any Brexit developments so I wouldn't be at all surprised if she mentions the latest development. Either way I'm sure she will find the right words

Last edited:
I haven't read anything about it but I assume no walk to church in Christmas clothes. Sad I always look at the DM's pictures they usually have the best and the earliest.

Just like for everyone else who celebrates Christmas, this new, but necessary lockdown, is devastating for the BRF

But both the Prince and the Duchess of Cornwall had hoped to visit at some point, as had the Earl and Countess of Wessex, potentially just outside.

Instead, the Prince and Duchess are likely to remain at Highgrove, Glos, which is in Tier 2, although they will be hoping for a visit from the Duchess’s two children and grandchildren on Christmas Day.

A Clarence House source said: “Obviously, they will adhere to all the guidelines.”

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will spend Christmas with their children as a family-of-five at their Norfolk home, Anmer Hall, having decamped from Kensington Palace when Prince George, seven, and Princess Charlotte, five, finished school two weeks ago.

They had originally planned to travel to Bucklebury, Berks, to spend time with the Middletons, along with the Duchess’s sister, Pippa Matthews, her husband James and son Arthur.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...it-prince-charles-dashed-windsor-enters-tier/

I am guessing lots of folks will be using zoomthis Christmas.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom