British Royal Christmas 1: 2008-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry was the most outgoing royal child.

Agree to disagree. Little William was quite the riot, pulling faces. Chasing after a horse and carriage which sent HMQ on a mad dash to save him. Chasing Zara in circles at Harry's christening. 1987 Trooping the Colour where he got so excited that Anne needed to calm him down. As he grew older he became more restrained.

Last edited:
I love to see the various interactions during events like this, speak volumes about the real family dynamics. Today Camilla and Anne comparing theirs coats and joking like "purple sisters" juste made my day.

My point exactly. I was pointing out,might you missed the fuss comment, the double standards. All the whining that Archie isn't there and denying the queen him at Christmas. When in reality five out if nine of the great grandchildren are not there. It seems people choose to ignore Zara or Peters kids. Do people think the queen only cares about the grandkids closest to the throne??

I am sure the Cambridge kids will miss them more then the queen. I don't know how close they really are. But they have fun playing. Not having little cousins their age or close yo play at the queen's Christmas will not be as exciting.

Charlotte actually seemed more shy today. Her mother tried to get her to shake hands and she drew back. The hug was for the lady who gave her a big pink flamingo, which helped conquer her nerves.

Eight great grandchildren. Well it isn't even double standards it is just indicative of the particular drama.and toxicity that surrounds one couple. All of the oldest grandchdren have spent Christmas elsewhere. It is just the younger four who are always there. The Queens neice and nephew alternate Christmas too and as their children grow and develop families and spaces of their own they will disappear too.

I love to see the various interactions during events like this, speak volumes about the real family dynamics. Today Camilla and Anne comparing theirs coats and joking like "purple sisters" juste made my day.
It was great moment ?

Extended aside, the queen's immediate family slimmed down a bit. I suspect the Sussexes are not the only ones enjoying a Canadian Christmas. If true, I am sure after all these years of Windsor Christmas, nice for autumn to take her husband and daughters home to her family holidays. So all the fuss about Archie, and of the queen's eight great grandchildren, only three were there.

That’s because anything and everything Sussex is made into something silly and dramatic. Of course now it’s no big deal that the only little ones there were the Cambridges after all the faux rage that Archie would not be.

I thought George and Charlotte did well. Very cute. Nice they are at the age where their parents are comfortable showing them more.

Nice seeing Edo included.

Last edited by a moderator:
My point exactly. I was pointing out,might you missed the fuss comment, the double standards. All the whining that Archie isn't there and denying the queen him at Christmas. When in reality five out if nine of the great grandchildren are not there. It seems people choose to ignore Zara or Peters kids. Do people think the queen only cares about the grandkids closest to the throne??

I am sure the Cambridge kids will miss them more then the queen. I don't know how close they really are. But they have fun playing. Not having little cousins their age or close yo play at the queen's Christmas will not be as exciting.

Charlotte actually seemed more shy today. Her mother tried to get her to shake hands and she drew back. The hug was for the lady who gave her a big pink flamingo, which helped conquer her nerves.

I personally don't care that the Sussexes were absent, it probably was for the best actually. But I think other people's gripes are that it's Archie's 1st Christmas. Giving Philip's age, Philip might not be there for his 2nd so Philip would never have a Christmas with Archie. Also I think some people are frustrated that the Sussexes missed Balmoral and the Christmas lunch at BP, so this is seen as a "third strike" for absences. Again it doesn't bother me, and I'm sure all the royals are where they want to be.

That was great. They were my favorite looks today.

I think part of the reason may well be because we knew in advance H&M were not going to be there so it gave people time to moan. In a few days the fuss around Zara and Peter not being there may be as much.
Its also worth noting that Peter and Zara actually not only probably try and please their mothers’ side of the family and their partners families but also their father. Harry and Meghan have Harry’s family and Meghan’s mum. I say this to point out the two situations (number of people involved, timing of announcement, the fact an announcement was even made) mean we are comparing apples and oranges so let’s not light a fire just yet.

Personally I feel they did what most families do and split their time. Could they have included Doria somehow and still done Sandringham, probably. But that is up to them and people should do as they see fit over Christmas.

I thought this was a lovely Christmas for the RF and hopefully it brought some festive cheer to HM and Philip. Anne and Camilla made my day and even the Queen seemed a bit cheerier and happy to wave to the crowds more than some years IMO.

Last edited:
Gosh, I was surprised to see the grumpiness of some recent posts on this thread - it’s Christmas Day when we share the message of goodwill to all men (and women).

An important year for Royal watchers with the first appearance of George and Charlotte who were on their best behaviour. I think the decisions regarding Andrew’s attendance at the earlier service was well judged and agree that the simple act of Charles walking alongside Andrew was to me symbolic of family coming together in troubled times.
Lovely to see the two York couples, and with Louise fast growing into a young woman, we are witnessing the start of a new era.

I also think it is the beginning of a new era in the royal family and the British monarchy.
I understand that Andrew had participated in the previous service, and the fact that Charles appeared beside him shows that the family did not move away from Andrew.
I enjoyed seeing Charlotte and George for the first time at this event.

I think part of the reason may well be because we knew in advance H&M were not going to be there so it gave people time to moan. In a few days the fuss around Zara and Peter not being there may be as much.
Its also worth noting that Peter and Zara actually not only probably try and please their mothers’ side of the family and their partners families but also their father. Harry and Meghan have Harry’s family and Meghan’s mum. I say this to point out the two situations (number of people involved, timing of announcement, the fact an announcement was even made) mean we are comparing apples and oranges so let’s not light a fire just yet.

Personally I feel they did what most families do and split their time. Could they have included Doria somehow and still done Sandringham, probably. But that is up to them and people should do as they see fit over Christmas.

I thought this was a lovely Christmas for the RF and hopefully it brought some festive cheer to HM and Philip. Anne and Camilla made my day and even the Queen seemed a bit cheerier and happy to wave to the crowds more than some years IMO.

Anne and Camilla go way back and were even rivals, I believe, at one time for the affections of Andrew Parker-Bowles. How things have changed over the years eh?

Its a wonderful time of the year for families and when it comes to splitting time between different sides of a family, they're all treated equally as it should be. ?

They do seem very chatty every time they meet tbh, e.g. the NATO reception, Ascot and so on. Whatever happened in the past they seem to get on now.

I don't believe they were ever rivals for APB ...I think Anne was wise to him early on and moved on.

LaRae

The Sussexes don’t have a home like Amner. What do you suggest they leave Doria at Frogmore alone and spend the holidays at Sandringham??? Yeah that’s including her in the holidays.

Really Meghan and Autumn are apples and apples. Unlike Zara and Peter whose father is in the UK and the Tindalls, Meghan and Autumns family is on another continent. Doria and Autumns family don’t have year around access to the grandkids like Anne, mark and the Tindalls do.

The reality is that Philip is in the Uk and they can take Archie to see him any time. Doria, and Meghan’s chosen family, don’t have that luxury.

As for Balmoral that isn’t a strike. Balmoral is not an event or invitation. They visit if they choose or not.

Families have to split holidays that’s reality. The Windsor’s got them two years in a row. Why is the queen more entitled to Archie first Christmas then his grandmother is?

Gosh, I was surprised to see the grumpiness of some recent posts on this thread - it’s Christmas Day when we share the message of goodwill to all men (and women).

Its been much worse in previous years,this year has been so far more peaceful thank the Lord.

I saw the queen's Christmas speech on YouTube. HM gave a shout out of sorts to Archie.

Is it confirmed that Meghan's mother joined the Sussexes for Christmas ? It would have been reasonable if Harry and Meghan had traveled to Los Angeles to spend the holidays with Meghan's family (who reduces in this case to Doria only, as Meghan doesn't seem to have a relationship with any other relative). However, they showed up instead in Canada where, as far as we know, Meghan has no family. It is odd that they would ditch the Windsors' Christmas gathering to spend the holidays alone with Archie.

Haven't seen it yet; what did she say that would be a shout out to Archie?

There was a clip of Archie being presented to the Queen and she mentioned that she welcomed a new great-grandson in 2019.

The speech properly was excellent. Subtle, yet clear. And grounded in Christian teaching unlike other monarchs who now deliver Christmas messages that are purely secular or political and have no reference to Christmas properly.

Last edited:
From what I understand, Meghan has a lot of "family of the heart" in Canada so its not surprising to me that they spent Christmas there at all. They most certainly weren't alone. Heart trumps blood every time in my book. ?

Every tabloid and paper I have read stated that Beatrice and Edoardo would be spending Christmas apart, and would reunite for the New Year at the Mozzi property on Lamu, Kenya.

And then, hark! There was Edo taking his place at the side of his Royal fiancee at Sandringham...:cool:

I was also glad to see Andrew was not discouraged away from attending church altogether, even if he very wisely chose not to appear with the entire family at the later service.

Last edited:
What year did the Royal Family first start walking to the church on Christmas morning .

I foud HM particularly exhausted during a speech.
logically The Wales and the Cambridges took centre stage.

There was a clip of Archie being presented to the Queen and she mentioned that she welcomed a new great-grandson in 2019.

Nice. It makes sense to include a reference to an addition to the family into her yearly most personal speech. And welcoming a newborn amidst all the other issues going on was surely a highlight for the queen.

Last edited:
What year did the Royal Family first start walking to the church on Christmas morning .

Well HM has only hosted Christmas at Sandringham since the late 80s/early 90s, before then they were at Windsor for Christmas day (I believe the Queen and her immediate family then went to Sandringham as now). Even at Windsor HM led the Royal Family (which then included Kents, Gloucesters and co) to church on Christmas Day, although they arrived and left by car as seen in the video below

I guess the family have probably always walked to church at Sandringham given its so close and HM and her predecessors have mainly always been religious enough to want to attend Church on Christmas Day. I'm not sure at what point it became more officially organised having lots of police, barriers, a queuing system etc.

Last edited:
The Sussexes don’t have a home like Amner. What do you suggest they leave Doria at Frogmore alone and spend the holidays at Sandringham??? Yeah that’s including her in the holidays.

Really Meghan and Autumn are apples and apples. Unlike Zara and Peter whose father is in the UK and the Tindalls, Meghan and Autumns family is on another continent. Doria and Autumns family don’t have year around access to the grandkids like Anne, mark and the Tindalls do.

The reality is that Philip is in the Uk and they can take Archie to see him any time. Doria, and Meghan’s chosen family, don’t have that luxury.

As for Balmoral that isn’t a strike. Balmoral is not an event or invitation. They visit if they choose or not.

Families have to split holidays that’s reality. The Windsor’s got them two years in a row. Why is the queen more entitled to Archie first Christmas then his grandmother is?

I didn't say they should leave Doria, I merely suggested the only other alternative to what they have done would be to split Christmas Day in two, being with Harry's family in the morning and Doria in the afternoon (unless HM would break with her own convention and invite Doria to Sandringham). This is what Camilla does, probably what W&K do (I suspect Kate's familywill be visiting this afternoon or tomorrow) and what most families in the UK do. I also simply pointed out that many people overlook that Zara and Peter come from a split family and potentially have to accommodate three lots of parents (Anne, Mark and then their inlaws). I ended by post saying everyone should do what they like at Christmas and I am happy H&M did just that. I never criticised them for their plans.

Let's not forget even on here it is the season of goodwill and peace to all:flowers::merryxmas:

:previous:

Looks like the Queen Mother has banana peels on her hat!

Every tabloid and paper I have read stated that Beatrice snd and Edoardo would be spending Christmas apart, and would reunite for the New Year at the Mozzi property on Lamu, Kenya.

And then, hark! There was Edo taking his place at the side of his Royal fiancee at Sandringham...:cool:

In almost all the pictures I saw, Beatrice and Edo were in the background smiling at each other. It was cute. I guess Edo is having a great time at his first Sandringham Christmas.

It was nice that they spent the holiday together since Beatrice has had a difficult last few months. She could focus on showing her fiancé the ropes instead of other things, like the media monitoring Andrew presence at Sandringham.

I think everyone has said their piece about the Sussexes and their decision to be with Meghan’s family for Christmas. Let’s move on from that topic. Thanks!

The Cambrige children are dears...but I felt a bit uncomfortable watching some of the video. There were times the kids seemed a bit overwhelmed or stressed--even Charlotte who is usually pretty outgoing from what we have seen. Perhaps its just because its the first time.

I hope everyone had a lovely Christmas!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom