British Royal Christmas 1: 2008-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

If it's true--which is always a very big "if"--it's an interesting data point. Is it significant? Who knows? It might mean nothing more than, like a lot of families, the Sussexes will alternate where they spend the holidays between his family and her family. What will be interesting, and potentially more meaningful, will be if the Sussexes don't show up for Christmas at Sandringham next year, and don't visit Balmoral this next summer. Then there's a distinct pattern. Until then, all there is is piles of speculation and no facts.

You may have a point there, lets see how things develop over the next year or so.

Last edited by a moderator:

As for Christmas....Meghan has already spent two away from her mother for the royals. She, Archie & Harry should be able to spend time with her family as well if they chose to do so.

William and Kate have been alternating Christmases between the Royal family and the Middletons on several occasions.
Meghan has spent two consecutive Christmases away from her mother, and so spending Christmas this time with her mother would be good; if it's true.

Last edited:
[...]

As to the Sussex Christmas arrangements, I am sure it will all come out later. I find myself quite happy to wait and not be jerked around by the fertile imagination of media outlets with dubious track records supposedly supplied by the ubiquitous 'unnamed inside source's.

If it's true--which is always a very big "if"--it's an interesting data point. Is it significant? Who knows? It might mean nothing more than, like a lot of families, the Sussexes will alternate where they spend the holidays between his family and her family. What will be interesting, and potentially more meaningful, will be if the Sussexes don't show up for Christmas at Sandringham next year, and don't visit Balmoral this next summer. Then there's a distinct pattern. Until then, all there is is piles of speculation and no facts.

Excellent points. Most of the BRF have, at one time or another, spent Christmas away from Sandringham. It really shouldn't be that big a deal if the Sussexes choose not to be there this year. However, this decision if true, plays right into the string of ill-judged comments and actions and poor optics. It shouldn't be a big deal at all if they choose to spend Christmas with her mother in the States but it's very true that optics matter and in this particular case the Sussexes have had some pretty bad optics happening for quite some time. It might behoove them to take that sort of thing into consideration. I think the idea of them spending Thanksgiving in the States is lovely and very, very appropriate. And it really wouldn't be surprising if they choose to spend Christmas away from Sandringham. But I, for one, am very curious about whether or not they'll be at the Queen's Christmas luncheon for the family. This particular event is always of interest to me and I'm curious to see if they show up or not and if not, what kind of speculation will quickly make the rounds.

Do you think that both Princess Beatrice of York and Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi will come to Sandringham?

To be honest, I doubt it. Not this year. I think next year we'll see them both there but for now they're not yet married and I suspect Edo might be spending at least part of Christmas with his son. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Beatrice (and Edo after their marriage) adopt a practice of spending Christmas morning at Sandringham and leaving soon after services for London. Unless, of course, Edo and his son's mother work out an arrangement to allow his son to be at Sandringham with them some years.

Do you think that both Princess Beatrice of York and Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi will come to Sandringham?

I would be surprised if Edo were to be invited to Sandringham before he and Beatrice were married. I think an exception was made for Meghan as she did not have much family that she was in regular contact with, other than her mother.

It's official the Sussexes are spending time with Meghan's mother this Christmas, so happy for the family that they to get to enjoy some quiet more relaxed holiday time with each other. Doria finally (after 2 years) gets to spend holiday time with her only daughter (grandchild & SIL).

The message did say this was with the Queen's approval and in alignment with what others in the Royal have done...so no broken protocol stories.

Last edited:
Interesting they feel the need to say that these plans are in line with the precedent set by other members of the royal family.

Is it though? I saw members of the press already acting like it never had been doing before. It has and not surprised they reminded people.

Hope they enjoy their time away and glad Doria will get some holiday time with her daughter and grandson.

Interesting they feel the need to say that these plans are in line with the precedent set by other members of the royal family.

It's because they know that the media will try to claim they are breaking protocol and ignore the fact that William (a future king) has forgone Christmases at Sandringham to spend time with his in-laws.

Good for Meghan and Harry. I am sure Doria is thrilled to have her babies with her for the holidays (or her with them).

Yeah. It was wise for the couple’s officials point that out. Get ahead of the narrative that the outside forces would try to spin on their absence from Sandringham this Christmas.

Yeah. It was wise for the couple’s officials point that out. Get ahead of the narrative that the outside forces would try to spin on their absence from Sandringham this Christmas. is already being

To me, it just seems like an unnecessarily defensive point to make.

It's a completely normal thing to rotate between different families for Christmas.

They had to make that point. Listen, people have short term memories. Believe it or not, people have forgotten that the Cambridge’s would spend Christmas with the royal family one year and then with the Middleton’s the next year.

It is obviously not unnecessary as so many people had been and would have continue speculating and trying to fit an exile/feud/ breaking protocol narrative to their abscence.

A defense is not needed when there is no attack but can you in all honesty say that people would have not attacked them? That the media that are writing daily articles on them would have not try to spin this story.
The Sussex knew that they were going to be criticised and so they were upfront about it.

Now, no hater on twitter can retweet this post and add ridiculous comment on it because the truth is out there.

IMO-While there would have still been some negativity regarding Harry, Meghan & Archie missing Christmas at Sandringham, it wouldn’t been as big a deal without the feud rumors, them not visiting Balmoral this year while jetting off to Europe, and their documentary comments.

William & Kate spent Christmas 2012 and Christmas 2016 with the Middletons.

Last edited:
If Harry and Meghan were going to Sandringham then of course they'd go to the Xmas lunch with the family, to Church and be present for the meal on Christmas Eve and the gift giving then that the Royal Family always have. As they would probably be staying with the rest of the royals at the big house then it would be odd if the Sussex adults didn't turn up for meals downstairs.

However, the announcement today makes it clear that, like other members of the Royal Family they'll be spending Xmas with other family members, away from Sandringham. With Doria. Just as Kate and William spent a couple of Christmases with the Middletons at their home, just as the Tindalls almost always spend it in Australia nowadays, just as the Phillips have done in the past. It's a good move imo and I applaud them for it!

I'm glad that the couple will be spending Xmas with Doria. I think it's terrific. It's not as if Meghan has missed out on Sandringham before.

I think for visa reasons Meghan couldn't return to the US for Xmas in 2018, and it wouldn't have been appropriate for Doria to have been invited then. (And didn't Sophie spend Christmas with the royals before she was married? I think it was held at Windsor in those days.)

Zara is a grandchild of the Queen. She and her family spend Xmas/New Year in Australia nowadays. The Phillips have spent the time with other family members, so have Kate and William. So it's not extraordinary that the Sussexes have followed suit, and it's good IMO that was pointed out in the announcement.

Archie's first Christmas should be a special time for the Sussexes and they will be with a family member that has been supportive.

Have a wonderful time Sussexes. You deserve it.

If Harry and Meghan were going to Sandringham then of course they'd go to the Xmas lunch with the family, to Church and be present for the meal on Christmas Eve and the gift giving then that the Royal Family always have. As they would probably be staying with the rest of the royals at the big house then it would be odd if the Sussex adults didn't turn up for meals downstairs.

However, the announcement today makes it clear that, like other members of the Royal Family they'll be spending Xmas with other family members, away from Sandringham. With Doria. Just as Kate and William spent a couple of Christmases with the Middletons at their home, just as the Tindalls almost always spend it in Australia nowadays, just as the Phillips have done in the past. It's a good move imo and I applaud them for it!

There are two different Christmases in the royal family

-there is Sandringham with the queen, her children and their families
-and there is the Christmas event in London with the extended family

Yes, if they attended Christmas at Sandringham, since they would likely be at the main house, they would eat the meals with the family.

The question was more about the other event, the London luncheon that the queen hosts before she leaves for Sandringham. That the large extended family is invited to, and we see the arrivals of those who don't live at Buckingham palace, come to.

I doubt Harry and Meghan will miss the London one. Certainly not if they are not going to Sandringham.

But we will have to wait and see. There are always rumors about Christmas for a month or two before. Remember when Harry and Meghan were engaged and all the rumors about where she would be? Or last Christmas all the rumors about Doria joining. Nothing new with the speculation.

Will just have to wait and see who arrives at church on Christmas.

I actually meant the lunch that the Queen hosts at BP before Christmas. I agree that they would certainly be at meals if they were going to Sandringham but I’m always interested in seeing those who turn up to the BP lunch and with the Sussex plans up in the air I was simply curious as to whether they’d be there or not.

TBF there is no confirmation they will go to the US for Christmas, just that they will not go to Sandringham and will be spending it with Doria.

All the younger royals rotate Christmas with the RF and the in-laws(or going away elsewhere) so its nothing new.But equally after all the talk of feuds it was going to causes traction (hence IMO why they have confirmed it now to get it over and done with before Christmas itself is here)

They may not be spending Christmas in the US. It simply says they will spend it with Doria. Not everyone goes away for Christmas. I don't know why people find it odd that they may stay at FC and not go some where.

I could see them enjoying their first Christmas in their own home. They are both home bodies. Meghan would likely love to decorate. They can combine some of each of their Christmas traditions. Grandma can come stay with them and they have plenty of room for her. And all the privacy they could want without worry about the security.

They also have friends in the area. I could see them hosting a dinner or something with some of their friends around the holiday.

As nice as some of Sandringham Christmas might be, its not that relaxing. There are a lot of scheduled events, and clothing changes, and formality. Yes still the happy family side but still. Unlike the Cambridges, they don't have their own house on the property to escape to for some private time. They would be surrounded by the family all the time.

It makes sense that they would want, even without Doria in the picture, they may want a quieter less formal Christmas for Archie's first.

Wonderful news that the Sussexes will be spending quality time with Meghan’s Mum! I’m sure Doria is delighted that she can finally spend Christmas with her only child, only grandchild & son-in-law. Harry has previously described Doria with such fondness and they all looked very loving & comfortable together when we saw them at Toronto Invictus Games & the launch of the Together Cookbook.

I’m guessing we’ll be getting some holiday pics from the Cambridge and Sussex family.

Excellent points. Most of the BRF have, at one time or another, spent Christmas away from Sandringham. It really shouldn't be that big a deal if the Sussexes choose not to be there this year. However, this decision if true, plays right into the string of ill-judged comments and actions and poor optics. It shouldn't be a big deal at all if they choose to spend Christmas with her mother in the States but it's very true that optics matter and in this particular case the Sussexes have had some pretty bad optics happening for quite some time. It might behoove them to take that sort of thing into consideration. I think the idea of them spending Thanksgiving in the States is lovely and very, very appropriate. And it really wouldn't be surprising if they choose to spend Christmas away from Sandringham. But I, for one, am very curious about whether or not they'll be at the Queen's Christmas luncheon for the family. This particular event is always of interest to me and I'm curious to see if they show up or not and if not, what kind of speculation will quickly make the rounds.

This is only bad optics for those who prefer to focus on the negative. I find it perfectly normal to alternate between families and since they were in the UK last year, I would expect them to go to the States this year. And since LA isn't exactly next door it's perfectly reasonable to go for 1 or 2 weeks. It would be unreasonable to expect them to never spend Christmas with Doria just to appease the trolls and gossip media who only find fault anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom