British Royal Christmas 1: 2008-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they all get on very well with Tom and Laura and their families, but why would they invite them for Christmas dinner? If Charles and Camilla were hosting Christmas dinner at Highgrove, maybe, but not to Windsor or Sandringham. It's not as if Charles married Camilla when they were young and brought them up. Pre-Covid, Camilla used to leave Sandringham early and spend time with them then: I don't know what she's doing this year, but I'm sure she'll see them some time over the festive period.

An armed intruder was arrested in grounds of Windsor Castle earlier today.

https://news.sky.com/story/armed-in...castle-as-queen-celebrates-christmas-12503764

And therein lies the proof that the world continues to spin with it's balance of bad intentions still alive and kicking no matter what day it is.

I can't begin to fathom a mind that would do something like this on Christmas Day or any day of the year. I'm glad he was caught.

:previous:

The dailymail article posted above also has some of the photos.

The Queen's speech today:

** royaluk: Christmas Broadcast 2021 **

This has got to be the most personal and the most touching Christmas speech that HM has ever given and one of my first thoughts was that she really *is* a master speech spokesperson to be able to get through that whole thing and not overly express the emotions that must have been racing through her.

As much as really hitting home on how such a big hole Philip's passing has left in the hearts and minds of the entire family, it also drew the picture of just how much Philip is still alive and well with us in heart and mind as his many legacies are so very much alive today and creating positive actions in our world.

Last edited by a moderator:
And therein lies the proof that the world continues to spin with it's balance of bad intentions still alive and kicking no matter what day it is.

I can't begin to fathom a mind that would do something like this on Christmas Day or any day of the year. I'm glad he was caught.

Its shocking!

So far all we know is that the man arrested was 19-year-old from Southampton and was carrying an offensive weapon.

What a poignant, lovely, personal message from HM.

So the Queen's broadcast showed Charles and Camilla, William and Kate, Edward and Sophie, and Anne. The slimmed-down working Royal Family is already taking shape in the current reign.

Last edited:
So the Queen's broadcast showed Charles and Camilla, William and Kate, Edward and Sophie, and Anne. The slimmed-down working Royal Family is already taking shape in the current reign.

Yes, almost the handing over of the baton. A very personal message plus did you notice she used his first name, normally it would be the Duke of Edinburgh or my husband. She also referred to her first born son, and his son, then she spoke about Camilla and Catherine.

I found it very emotional.

They also did that last year with the Royal Train Tour ending with the eight of them with the Salvation Army. Reporters all said this was to underscore the new core of the senior family although obviously not *all* the working royals.

I think it was also a by product of how personal her message was this year as well. Normally she will give the year a wider over view but this year was very tightly focused on her husband and family legacy.

That is correct. It was interesting that the Queen has chosen to so publicly support not just Charles and William, but also recognise the roles of Camilla and Catherine.

Yes, indeed. It makes sense since she highlighted the importance of her spouse, so, that also applies to her heir and heir's heir.

The entire speech hit a marvelous balance in that the Queen allowed herself to be more on the personal side about her loss of her husband and recognizing what a wonderful job her family is doing but kept the line intact that she was addressing the nation as their Queen, talked how the effects on her as Queen and kept the focus on the monarchy and the "Firm" and the service to the nation and not seeming to be speaking as "Mama" or "Granny". She definitely was talking directly to her people and relating and communicating to them.

Someone really should take notes and compile these little "tricks of the trade" that HM has amassed over her very long reign and publish them in a book called Diplomacy At It's Best. :D

Last edited:
As others have said this was poignant & very personal. As well as lots of entrails for royal kremlinologists to examine.;)

The Queen and Prince Philip, George VI and Queen Elizabeth, and George V and Queen Mary were all very much teams. Going forward, Charles and Camilla and William and Catherine will be the same.

Very moving Christmas message this year. I'm really looking forward to the jubilee.

Lovely speech, but I wondered about something: The Queen was commenting on the importance of traditions during these stressful times, and mentioned, "Be it the singing of carols – as long as the tune is well known..." A few lines later in the speech, she names the carol she's thinking of, quoting a line from "O Little Town of Bethlehem." As the speech ended, they cut to a choir singing "O Little Town of Bethlehem," but to a tune that is not used or well-known in the United States. (Same words, different tune.0

[.....]

Last edited by a moderator:
An armed intruder was arrested in grounds of Windsor Castle earlier today.

https://news.sky.com/story/armed-in...castle-as-queen-celebrates-christmas-12503764

What sick and disgusting individual armed with crossbow would trespass and threaten The Royal Family and staff during Christmas! He is rightfully arrested by the police and should be criminally charged in court! ? :furious:

The Sun has obtained a video, emerged from social media of the 19 year old man fully covered in black with mask vowing to assassinate The Queen. He was doing this as a revenge for the Jallianwala Bagh massacre in 1919, before The Queen was born. The Scotland Yard is now examining this video

Windsor Castle: Video emerges of masked man threatening to 'assassinate the Queen'
Scotland Yard are assessing a video following the arrest of a man who has been sectioned under the Mental Health Act
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...med-intruder-arrested-christmas-day-detained/
Archived link: https://archive.ph/LlaYR

Police investigate video after Windsor Castle security breach
Footage appears to show masked figure saying they wanted to ‘assassinate the Queen’
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/dec/26/man-19-mental-health-act-windsor-castle-arrest

CROSSBOW CHILLER Chilling moment masked man with crossbow threatens to kill Queen in vid sent to pals minutes before cops arrest man, 19
A MASKED man with a crossbow poses in a chilling video in which he threatened to “assassinate the Queen”.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17149...harebar_app&utm_campaign=sharebar_app_article

Back to something more positive, It was a very moving and personal Christmas speech from The Queen, especially the tribute to The late Duke of Edinburgh, who has dutifully served the country and supported her all these year. It was emotionally hearing the audio of the Golden Anniversary, where The Queen said "He is someone who doesn't take easily to compliments but he has, quite simply, been my strength and stay all these years, and I, and his whole family, and this and many other countries, owe him a debt greater than he would ever claim, or we shall ever know", even after hearing it multiple times before. I also loved her mentioning of the Commonwealth Games and Platinum Jubilee which are anticipated in 2022.

I'm not surprised that The Queen's Christmas message topped the Christmas Day 2021 rating with almost nine million tuned in

Christmas Day TV: Nine million tune in for Queen's message
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-59794242

Last edited:
This year there has been a marked increase of possible threats to all members of the royal family as well as intrusion at royal households. The newspapers have requested the exact statistics but they are been withheld for security reasons. I suspect that they will have to release something as there has been an increase of the budget for security and that usually has to be transparently discussed.
In general - corona, lockdown, Meghan and Harry's claims, claims against Andrew, the climate change activists as well as the Black Rights activists have made a lot of security of the royals a headache for their security teams. And although most of these protesters have reasonable claims for protest - the sensationalism of any cause, story or indeed dispute - causes the screws to come of the woodwork. And that essentially was 2021.

I know that I will be shouted at for saying this - but I think the Queen's Christmas speech was written partially written with Sophie. There are a least 8 phrases and things there that are very Sophie's and one related memory that was from Edward.

Lovely speech, but I wondered about something: The Queen was commenting on the importance of traditions during these stressful times, and mentioned, "Be it the singing of carols – as long as the tune is well known..." A few lines later in the speech, she names the carol she's thinking of, quoting a line from "O Little Town of Bethlehem." As the speech ended, they cut to a choir singing "O Little Town of Bethlehem," but to a tune that is not used or well-known in the United States. (Same words, different tune.0

[.....]

I saw a discussion of this on another board - the UK and the US use different tunes with the same words to "O Little Town of Bethlehem." Very similar to "Away in a Manger" having more than one tune.

[.....]

It's apparently quite common that the US and UK have different go-to tunes to various hymns. That tune to O Little Town of Bethlehem is instantly recognisable in the UK and has one of the great Christmas Descants which many look forward to.

It Came Upon a Midnight Clear is another that has a completely different but equally lovely tune that's the big favourite in the US.

This years Christmas message was filmed in Windsor but I assume the majority of previous ones were filmed at Buckingham Palace?

I'm hoping that HM will soon sneak off to Sandringham, she is usually always there on accession day and it would be a shame for her not to be this year (if she wants to). Now Christmas it out the way she could head up and spend some time there.

I think HM is likely to stay put in Windsor Castle if the question is about her health and the closeness of her medical assistance. On the other hand, if she is healthy as a horse (for a 95-year-old) then it will be off to Sandringham even if only for a short time to mark the anniversary of her father's death.

It's hard to take his environmental stands seriously when he uses private jets to go on vacation.

Each of us have to draw own own conclusions, but not many know that since events of 9/11, the government advice has been for Charles to not fly on commercial flights, but fly privately only.

IMO whilst private jets certainly aren't great, Charles walks the walk more than many. He converted and encouraged his tenants to convert to organic farming and most of his vehicles, including farm equipment run on bio fuel.

Each of us have to draw own own conclusions, but not many know that since events of 9/11, the government advice has been for Charles to not fly on commercial flights, but fly privately only.

They could have got a train or driven and up over a couple of days, you don't always have to fly everywhere.

They could have got a train or driven and up over a couple of days, you don't always have to fly everywhere.

That is certainly a possibility.

That said, the drive from Windsor up to Birkhall, without stopping, takes over 9 hours, so perhaps not the most comfortable way to travel or the best use of ones time. That of course does not factor in the time it will take to stop along the motorway to charge ones electric car, or stops for meals and loo breaks.

I'm hoping that HM will soon sneak off to Sandringham, she is usually always there on accession day and it would be a shame for her not to be this year (if she wants to). Now Christmas it out the way she could head up and spend some time there.

Yes I hope too that the queen will get to spend some time at Sandringham for accession day.

Thanks for sharing this information as I had not known this before. I can understand why he has been advised to fly privately since 9/11.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom