The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-15-2018, 10:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

I'd rather see this than some of the cheesy type of family Christmas photos.

LaRae

Old 12-15-2018, 11:00 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I personally like the use of this photo for their Christmas card - it was always going to be a photo from their wedding and the fireworks add a festive, celebratory touch to the idea. It seems back and white photography for their official photos is something they will continue to do and I like that consistency.
I agree - I really like the Sussex Christmas photo. Glad they didn't choose Arthur Edwards to take it!

Old 12-15-2018, 11:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I get that Arthur thinks he is an expert, but why did we need to hear this? He just sounds cranky and petty. GRINCH!

We all get to pick out our own photos for Christmas. And if people don't like them, they should just not look. Merry Christmas, Arthur.
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Interesting, Arthur sounds grouchy. Probably angry he’s not gotten good photos of H & M.

I thought it was a lovely, romantic photo from the couple’s wedding day-the most important day for them as a couple. I know we only see them from behind, but they seem relaxed and happy to me.
Is negativity towards Arthur necessary? He is a very experienced and well liked royal photographer. Not everybody has to like the picture of H&M. He is only voicing an opinion, its not personal.

Such negativity is really, IMO, unnecessary and unbecoming, and increasingly makes the Sussex threads quite an unpleasant place to be in. So not in the character of TRF!
Old 12-15-2018, 11:31 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I don't believe that the photos for any of the royal's Christmas cards were selected with the public in mind at all. These are the photos chosen for their personal Christmas cards to friends and family. They just happen to feel generous enough to share them with the public.

I still really like the photo Harry and Meghan chose. Then again, I'm not one that celebrates Christmas so what do I know?
Don't these cards also go out to members of the public who write to them etc? Not that that should make any difference.

I don't see a particular problem with Harry changing after marriage, his circumstances have drastically changed after all but I can see why a royal reporter/photographer might get put out about it.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:52 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't think many people are having a go at H&M, the majority of people have said they like the picture but a few don't feel its very Christmasy. There is always going to be a personal preference toward what type of picture should be on a Christmas card and of course most people accept H&M are free to make that choice themselves. Saying you don't feel its very Christmasy doesn't mean you don't like H&M or have an issue with them. Sometimes it feels very much as though anything but positively commenting on what H&M do is taken as being against them. I've always seen TRF as a place to talk about what the royals are doing, for good or bad but always within reason.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:57 AM
Royal Highness

None of those photos were Christmasy! Prince Charles' card was taken in the summer. The Cambridges were taken the autumn! The Sussexes chose one from their wedding.

Nothing in these cards say Christmas at all.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri Terri View Post
None of those photos were Christmasy! Prince Charles' card was taken in the summer. The Cambridges were taken the autumn! The Sussexes chose one from their wedding.

Agreed. None of the Christmas cards screams Christmas to me. If I had seen them any other time, I certainly wouldn’t have associated them with Christmas. To that point, I’m not sure why the Sussexes are getting picked at for not being Christmassy enough.

Personally, I’ve seen cards from both sides in real life. Some does photos with their families specifically with Christmas in mind, some with with photos from events during the year. I don’t really see anything wrong with either way. Nor do I see one and think oh that’s just not Christmas enough (unless I get one that’s just totally weird and depressing, but haven’t seen one yet). I just think they are nice photos and certainly appreciate the card.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

British Royal Christmas 2008-2018

Quote:

True. But that’s not unusual for Christmas cards. Some are Christmasy themed, some aren’t. I would say the Cambridge’s and Charles/Camilla are fairly typical expectation wise though. And they convey family, warmth and I think normalcy imo. The outdoor shots could be from anyone’s yard really. They look like anyone’s card. I suspect that was part of the point.

The Sussex one is more atypical imo. While a special, intimate photo from their wedding isn’t unusual, I do think one in which you can’t see their faces is unusual for a Christmas card.

It can be viewed in various ways imo- not seeing their faces can be seen as a way of distancing themselves. Impersonal. OTOH- showing a photo from their special day that the public didn’t see shows some intimacy. In one pic, you got to see what they saw. Fireworks at a wedding isn’t typical. So it’s a little reminder that they’re different than the rest of us. Not that we need that. We know. Lol But it was lovely to see them watching the fireworks imo.

But- it all depends on your POV. I like the pic, but it is rather artsy- and I’m not sure it was really Christmasy to me.

Somewhere I read that these Christmas cards are PR for the royals. Which is true. So it is interesting to play around with what message you think they’re sending.

I like all 3 pics in their ways.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:42 PM
Royal Highness

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ndringham.html

I don't see the need for Kensington Palace to confirm the Cambridges and the Sussexes will spend Christmas at Sandringham. It confirms there may be some truth to the headlines. First the Sussexes were staying at Amner Hall; then they were not staying at Amner Hall. Their moves are going to be scrutinized. Body language "experts " are going to be working Christmas.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
The tabloids can do what they want but seeing as what the tabloids put out are ignored as "noise" by the BRF, it won't have any impact at all. They'll go about their holiday exactly as they plan to go about their holiday.

The tabloids aren't aiming for the BRF anyways. They're aiming for the general public that eats this kind of crap up for lunch and come back for more. That's where the money is.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
I don't see the need for Kensington Palace to confirm the Cambridges and the Sussexes will spend Christmas at Sandringham. It confirms there may be some truth to the headlines. First the Sussexes were staying at Amner Hall; then they were not staying at Amner Hall. Their moves are going to be scrutinized. Body language "experts " are going to be working Christmas.
Well, that was stupid. (On KP part, but their PR has never been good.)

At least now we'll get the pleasure of watching it backfire completely and everyone who was yelling that KP should say something about these rumors will see why some didn't want that to happen.

Also, if the Cambridges really planned on spending Christmas with the Middletons this year and changed their plans to show "solidarity", that royally sucks.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:08 PM
Royal Highness

Agreed. But there were in a no win situation.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:15 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Agreed. But there were in a no win situation.
Ummm... No, they weren't? They could've stayed quiet and waited for it to calm down, Cambridges could've visited the Middletons and it would all be forgotten by New Year's Eve.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:24 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I loved the Christmas card from the Cambridges and Sussexes this year. It's great that we get to see Louis since we haven't seen a lot of him at all since he was born (although for him it's nice that he gets to live a more private life). I'm not sure who he looks like; he seems to be a real mixture of both families in terms of resemblance. George is going to be a heartbreaker when he's older, he's a very handsome little boy! I love Charlotte's cheeky expression.
It's lovely that Harry and Meghan chose a wedding photo for their card and I love the fireworks - great for the festive season, especially the New Year!

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 12-15-2018, 03:38 PM
Nobility

Exactly! None of them are "Christmas" photos. They are photos chosen that represent the families. My friends do it all the time. In fact, it's a game with one of them to figure out which photo she'll use during the year for their annual Christmas cards. The Cambridges have used tour photos for theirs in the past. None of the British royals are having Christmas specific photoshoots. I expect that from the other royal houses, like the Swedes, Danes and Norwegians.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:44 PM
Serene Highness

Of the 3 Christmas cards I personally liked the Sussex card best - for me it was strangely compelling, it felt both romantic and haunting to me. The Wales’ card was most traditionally ‘Christmasy’ to me - at least there was a green background - if Camilla had been wearing red or burgundy - viola. The Cambridge photo flattered Catherine and Louis but otherwise meh. Obviously a fall shot with a rather bland background, Charlotte’s buttoned up sweater looked odd as did George’s awkward side leg kick and must Catherine always clutch her babies by the crotch? But I did appreciate a chance to see the Cambridge children and Louis has certainly grown!

Regarding KP confirming that the Cambridges are spending Christmas at Sandringham & the no comment by KP re where anyone was spending the remainder of the holiday, as was pointed out by a PP, the Cambridges have not spent every other year at Bucklebury.
The Queen and Prince Phillip are in their 90s and may not have many Christmases left, hardly surprising that the Cambridges would choose to spend part of the holiday at nearby Anmer. However, by announcing where, KP spares the Church in Bucklebury from an onslaught of photographers lurking about hoping to get pix of the Cambridges, Middletons & Matthews walking to/from services.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:24 PM
Majesty

Ah Christmas is upon us, that season of good cheer. Unless, of course you are a Royal Reporter or Photographer. It seems they miss the memo to skip the Grinch!

Cambridges:
2015 - https://cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/asse...xlarge-169.jpg
2016 - https://media1.popsugar-assets.com/f...-611421638.jpg
2017 - https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017...3770918990.jpg
20180-0https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod...p&resize=980:*

Harry/Sussexs
2015 - https://www.instagram.com/p/_l3VT0qZ...ource=ig_embed
2018 - https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod...p&resize=980:*

Charles and Camilla
2013 - https://hips.hearstapps.com/ghk.h-cd...g?resize=980:*
2014 - https://hips.hearstapps.com/ghk.h-cd...g?resize=980:*
2015 - https://hips.hearstapps.com/ghk.h-cd...g?resize=980:*
2016 - https://akns-images.eonline.com/eol_...put-quality=90
2017 - https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod...h&resize=980:*
2018 - https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod...h&resize=980:*

Just looking at these it seems that the Cambridge's have found their preferred Christmas Card style. Bucolic: suggesting an idyllic rural life when they are at Anmer.

Charles and Camilla too, have found their style Christmas Card Style. Love is gentle, patient and kind . . . so long as you are with the one you love.

For all the RR sniping about Harry and Meghan's black and white theme, it seems that may very well be a Harry thing and not a Meghan/Hollywood thing as some reports have snootily stated. Harry stated that the 2015 photo showed one of his most memorable moments of 2015.

His first photo as a married man seems to be also one of the most memorable moments of the year, and perhaps the beginning of their style. To add my tuppence worth, I thought it depicted the glorious future that lies before them, crackers and all.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Did Arthur really equate the fireworks to war? LOL. Okay. Over the top much? He doesn't have to like it but I find that just to be a tad dramatic but then again people usually are when it comes to the Sussexes.

Anyways I liked all three photos. I am not sure what the fuss is about but it is what it is.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
Don't these cards also go out to members of the public who write to them etc?
Yes, this isn’t a private photo sent to family and friends. These are cards sent to everyone - charities, patronages and anyone who sends them a Christmas card.
If any of you are interested you can write to Clarence House and you’ll get these cards in response.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I personally like the use of this photo for their Christmas card - it was always going to be a photo from their wedding and the fireworks add a festive, celebratory touch to the idea. It seems back and white photography for their official photos is something they will continue to do and I like that consistency.
I feel like they have started their own little tradition -- black and white at Frogmore. So far their engagement, their wedding, and I am sure we will see one with Baby Sussex in the near future.

Tags
christmas