The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-24-2018, 12:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think we can be pretty well assured that as long as the Queen lives, Margaret's children will be very much in attendance for holidays. From all accounts that I've read, they are quite close.

Oh this just makes me so sad to think how hard it was to lose her little sister. I don't know why that just hit me.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:11 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
The "Us Four" was a happy and close family. What made it doubly hard on the Queen is that she lost her sister and then her mother in a matter of weeks.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
That's my recollection too - that Christmas was spent at Windsor and then the Queen would go to Sandringham for New Year. She started spending Christmas at Sandringham after the fire at Windsor in 1992 and as it's smaller than Windsor had to restrict the number of people she could invite.
Actually a few years earlier, in 1988, it seems. According to this.

https://www.royal.uk/royal-family-christmas-0

Even before 1988 it wasn't every year. Sandringham was the traditional place for Christmases, even before Elizabeth was queen. In the 60's when her kids were small she started spending them at Windsor. But not always.

But yes, the pictures I posted were it turns out from Windsor (poor posting on site I took them from).
Old 01-24-2018, 01:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
The "Us Four" was a happy and close family. What made it doubly hard on the Queen is that she lost her sister and then her mother in a matter of weeks.
To make it even worse - the last of Philip's sisters died only about six weeks before Margaret so they both lost their sister within six weeks of each other. No matter how much Philip was English and his sisters Germans they were still quite close in many ways with one or more sisters visiting every year.

It really was the 'end of the generation' for them both within such a short period of time.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
To make it even worse - the last of Philip's sisters died only about six weeks before Margaret so they both lost their sister within six weeks of each other. No matter how much Philip was English and his sisters Germans they were still quite close in many ways with one or more sisters visiting every year.

It really was the 'end of the generation' for them both within such a short period of time.
Yes Sophie died in 2001 (his last sister before that had died in 1981). Sophie visited her brother quite often, and was Edward's godmother. She was often seen at events like the Windsor horse show. Sophie died in November 2001, Margaret in February 2002 and the queen mum March 2002 so less then 5 months between the three losses.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:49 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Actually a few years earlier, in 1988, it seems. According to this.

https://www.royal.uk/royal-family-christmas-0

Even before 1988 it wasn't every year. Sandringham was the traditional place for Christmases, even before Elizabeth was queen. In the 60's when her kids were small she started spending them at Windsor. But not always.

But yes, the pictures I posted were it turns out from Windsor (poor posting on site I took them from).
Thanks for the correction
Old 12-14-2018, 06:25 AM
Royal Highness

Lovely picture of the two of them, yet not very much a holiday picture imo. Wrap a red bow around them with mistletoe hanging above.....
Old 12-14-2018, 06:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

I love the family picture. Not too stiff and formal but just a happy, ordinary family together. All three kids look so cute with their parents. Great picture.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:32 AM
Royal Highness

Oh WOW what a gorgeous family picture, this is a keeper for sure. George is getting so tall and full of antics I see while Charlotte is the quiet one today. Louis the wee one, he is soooo beautiful, and so big. I must say, Catherine is in her element, she loves being a mother and wife it seems. Papa Will, well is he sitting back and enjoying his family with a big smile. Just a perfect picture of a cute family out enjoying nature.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

Oh I love it!! The effects of the black and white photo are outstanding and it really does seem to encapsulate the happiness and joy of the couple on their wedding night.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:02 AM
Majesty

What a beautiful family picture!
Old 12-14-2018, 07:35 AM
Courtier

It is a very lovely picture to show us this Christmas.
The children look content in the tree. The light on Catherine's hair makes baby Louis appear to have pixie hair!
Old 12-14-2018, 07:40 AM
Royal Highness

Best family photo ever!
Old 12-14-2018, 07:51 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
"The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are delighted to share a new photograph from their Wedding Reception at Frogmore House on 19th May. The photograph, which features on Their Royal Highnesses’ Christmas card, was taken by photographer Chris Allerton."

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DuX0t9LWoAARoEn.jpg
That is a beautiful photo of a newly married couple. I was wondering what atmosphere they would choose, and I'm glad that it's something from a very special and happy day. I especially love the fireworks going off over Windsor.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:59 AM
Courtier

Such a nice photo! They all look relaxed and natural.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:01 AM
Majesty

Such personalities coming out in this one. Love it.

Those are wonderful climbing trees! And it looks like someone is collecting walking sticks. How many of us have children who collect sticks? My neighborhood is FULL of them. LOL
Old 12-14-2018, 08:01 AM
Courtier

Beautiful photo!
Old 12-14-2018, 08:02 AM
Courtier

It's pretty spectacular and we've seen a lot of their faces this year.
Good job by the photographer.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

What a wonderful photo! Everyone looks happy, and we are getting to see a tiny glimpse of the real family in one of their favorite settings.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:03 AM
Majesty

You can read Harry by his feet sometimes. This is one of those times. And I am just so happy he has found his someone.

Tags
christmas