British Royal Christmas 1: 2008-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love to see the various interactions during events like this, speak volumes about the real family dynamics. Today Camilla and Anne comparing theirs coats and joking like "purple sisters" juste made my day.

That was great. They were my favourite looks today.
I loved Anne's ensemble and thought she wore it with style, then HM and Camilla arrived and I loved that Camilla was wearing purple too. Both ladies had the best hats and HM looked terrific in red. Even the dress below was plain red and made her pearls look fabulous. This ensemble combined with her Christmas Message one spoke of a new decade and reminded us that we would/were be watching a family go to church to celebrate the birth of the Christ Child.

Last edited:
Posts making overtly religious comments in the hope of inciting a religious debate have been deleted and will continue to be deleted as The Royal Forums is NOT a platform for holding such debates.

Further, if members have an issue about the way in which threads are moderated, please contact one of the Administrators or Moderators by PM rather than in-thread.

Well HM has only hosted Christmas at Sandringham since the late 80s/early 90s, before then they were at Windsor for Christmas day (I believe the Queen and her immediate family then went to Sandringham as now). Even at Windsor HM led the Royal Family (which then included Kents, Gloucesters and co) to church on Christmas Day, although they arrived and left by car as seen in the video below

I guess the family have probably always walked to church at Sandringham given its so close and HM and her predecessors have mainly always been religious enough to want to attend Church on Christmas Day. I'm not sure at what point it became more officially organised having lots of police, barriers, a queuing system etc.

Thank you For this information and clip Tommy 100

The Queen's Christmas Message was the second most watched programme on TV on Christmas Day, beaten only by the Gavin & Stacey Christmas Special.

The next most-watched programme was the Queen's Christmas Broadcast, which was screened on BBC One, ITV and Sky and seen by 7.85 million people.

In recent years, The Queen's annual broadcast has become the most-watched TV show, based on the overnight figures which do not include viewers who watch Christmas specials on catch-up services during the rest of the festive period.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50915905

Too sweet for words. I bet that Charlotte will remember those flowers for the rest of her life. Her first flowers from a boy. I wouldn't have wanted to turn them over to someone else either!

The Cambridge children showed at Sandringham yesterday just how they're being raised. The story of George and then Charlotte being comfortable enough to hug a person in a wheelchair shows that they're being raised to be kind and compassionate little people.

About Christmas at Sandringham vs Windsor, the BRF website says Sandringham was used for Christmas for decades but when the Queen's children were younger in the 1960s it was mostly at Windsor. Then in 1988, Windsor was being re-wired and it was moved back to Sandringham where it has been ever since. I remember reading somewhere that part of the reason for the move to Windsor had to do with the increase in the size of the family - the Queen, Margaret, the Ogilvies, Kents, Gloucesters were all beginning to have their children and Sandringham just wasn't big enough. It appears that the 1988 re-wiring may have been the start of the extended families not all gathering at one time for Christmas once it moved back to Sandringham.

About Christmas at Sandringham vs Windsor, the BRF website says Sandringham was used for Christmas for decades but when the Queen's children were younger in the 1960s it was mostly at Windsor. Then in 1988, Windsor was being re-wired and it was moved back to Sandringham where it has been ever since. I remember reading somewhere that part of the reason for the move to Windsor had to do with the increase in the size of the family - the Queen, Margaret, the Ogilvies, Kents, Gloucesters were all beginning to have their children and Sandringham just wasn't big enough. It appears that the 1988 re-wiring may have been the start of the extended families not all gathering at one time for Christmas once it moved back to Sandringham.

I recall reading somewhere that the Queen liked having it at Sandringham rather than Windsor because that way the younger people couldn’t go into
London in the evenings to carouse!

Thank you Ladymalbro. I do think the way they so it now is good, Windsor is used most weeks so i guess going to Sandringham also feels like a treat for the Queen and family and really is getting away from it all. There are many many photos from even when the current Queen was little of the family heading to Sandringham by train. The Queen still ensures to invite all the wider family to the BP lunch and in many says I bet they like being able to do as they wish with their own immediate families.

To me the question is, in time will the family once again outgrow Sandringham and Windsor may have to be used again?

Its clear HM likes being able to go to Sandringham for the whole festive period and not having to wait around until after Christmas Day.

Perhaps someone that knows can answer a question. When was the Queen's Christmas lunch started at BP for extended family? It would make sense to me that it started after the Queen returned family Christmas to the Sandringham estate instead of Windsor Castle.

I think the Queen values Christmases at Sandringham mostly because its what she grew up with and holds so many precious memories of the intimacy of family fondly remembered as "us four". Its also telling that the Queen remains at Sandringham to observe the anniversary of her father's death on Feb 6th before returning to London.

The Queen also remembers so very well how possible it was that both Balmoral and Sandringham could have passed out of the family with the abdication of Edward VIII. Her father, luckily, was able to finance and retain the estates and keep the traditions alive and I think that meant the world to Elizabeth both then and now.

I can’t say for sure (and bearing in mind the fact its almost impossible for the royals to go in and out of BP unnoticed now as was not so much the case in the 80s/90s- camera phones, social media to note observations on etc) so we will probably never know an exact date just the date it was first made public, But I would say the same as you Osipi, its probably been since Christmas moved to Sandringham as a way to have a whole RF get together at some point.

I meant to say before its nice that HM still invites the Chattos and Linleys every other year. Very touching she still makes sure to include them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please note that an argumentative conversation about the Duchess of Cambridge not being on holiday has been deleted. It is a fact that the Duchess is currently in the UK and rather pointless bickering about alternatives.

It was fantastic that George and Charlotte made their Sandringham debut - Charlotte stole the show, as usual! I loved the photo of her hugging the woman in the wheelchair - it seems that the Cambridges are teaching their children to be caring and mindful of those in difficult situations and it was clearly seen here. I think she looks a lot like the Middletons here, whereas George is definitely a Windsor.

It was also nice that there was a big turn out this year in spite of the Sussexes and Phillips/Tindalls not being there. It's lovely that the Chattos and Snowdons are still regulars even now the family has expanded (I think they alternate between their non-royal families each year, as they weren't at last year's walk up). Not surprised that Philip missed the service but I hope he still managed to enjoy his Christmas with the family. And it was a sensible call for Andrew to attend the early service separately given all that has gone on.

The Queen also remembers so very well how possible it was that both Balmoral and Sandringham could have passed out of the family with the abdication of Edward VIII. Her father, luckily, was able to finance and retain the estates and keep the traditions alive and I think that meant the world to Elizabeth both then and now.
I have read from several sources re: the financial settlement involved in the abdication that George V bequeathed Edward VIII a life estate in Sandringham & Balmoral rather than a fee simple, thus even if George VI had not bought that life estate interest out, the RF would have ultimately had the two properties returned to the main line, but not until after @ least the Duke of Windsor’s death & possibly not until the Duchess’es death if, as Lascelles reported, she stood to inherit the life estates.
Christmas traditions aside, I agree that the Queen seems to value her time spent at Sandringham. The fact that Phillip is now based at Wood farm on the Sandringham estate and that she gave William and Catherine Anmer on the estate tells us how important Sandringham is to the family.

To me the question is, in time will the family once again outgrow Sandringham and Windsor may have to be used again?

I don't think it will return to Windsor. I think it is more likely that the entire family won't go to Sandringham. Look how many were this year - The Queen, Philip, Charles, Camilla, the Cambridges, the Yorks, The Wessexes, Anne, Tim, Chattos and Linleys.

Missing - Sussexes, Tindalls and Philip's.

Even now the entire family doesn't go to Sandringham and going forwards there is no reason for that to not continue being the case with only some branches going each year.

When Charles is King, his siblings probably won't be invited en masse - maybe one each year rather than all every year.

I don't think it will return to Windsor. I think it is more likely that the entire family won't go to Sandringham. Look how many were this year - The Queen, Philip, Charles, Camilla, the Cambridges, the Yorks, The Wessexes, Anne, Tim, Chattos and Linleys.

Missing - Sussexes, Tindalls and Philip's.

Even now the entire family doesn't go to Sandringham and going forwards there is no reason for that to not continue being the case with only some branches going each year.

When Charles is King, his siblings probably won't be invited en masse - maybe one each year rather than all every year.

Also when Charles is King, we might stop seeing the Snowdons and Chattos invited. Inviting a parentless niece and nephew to Christmas is different from inviting a cousin. Though Camilla's children and grandchildren might get occasional invites during his reign. Charles seems quite close to his wife's family.

Whatever happens, it will continue to show that the Christmas celebrations with the family is a totally different kettle of fish than the monarchy, itself. Charles will base his celebrations where he most feels comfortable having them and invite whom he pleases within his family. There are no set rules and guidelines that he has to follow.

We are just so used to the way the Queen has done things over her long reign that anything different will seem to be breaking with "tradition" when in actuality, its really just the a change up of family dynamics. When I was small, we all congregated at Grandma's house. Everyone and the uncles and aunts and the cousins by the dozens. 50 years later, I don't see any of them at all and my family has its own dynamics celebrating holidays.

The grown up (as in in their 50-70s) cousins on my mother's side of the family all try and get together over Christmas *somehow* although it waxes and wanes about who exactly that comprises because that involves over 70+ people. It's never anywhere close to that number that actually gather but the intent is there.

I don't think we can say anything about how Charles is likely to have it when he's king but that doesn't automatically mean excluding his cousins, siblings or nieces and nephews. Most likely it will happen naturally as more people get married and have babies and commitments elsewhere and Sandringham doesn't fit in the way it did when HM was there.

Most interesting this year apart from the adorable little Cambridges was the Edo was invited, despite having relatives in the country. The new yardstick is an Engagement maybe, though still at HM discretion.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...ifferent-room-Queens-pre-Christmas-lunch.html

Mike Tindall reveals the royal children ate in a different room at the Queen's pre-Christmas lunch at Buckingham Palace - while he dined on a table with Prince Charles
Former England rugby ace reveals which table he sat on at royal Christmas lunch
Revealed their were around 70 people at family event and he didn't drink alcohol
There are seven tables and the 'kiddies' have their own table in a different room
Described the event as 'lovely, really good' and said he sat with Prince Charles

Mike Tindall has shared some rare insights into the Queen's pre-Christmas lunch - revealing that the royal children, including Prince George and Princess Charlotte, are given their own table in a separate room.

The former England rugby player, 41, from Otley, who is married to the monarch's granddaughter Zara Phillips, 38, made the revelations on JOE UK's House of Rugby podcast.

He told how he sat with his uncle-in-law Prince Charles, 71, at Buckingham Palace and described the annual event as 'lovely'.

'This is the other one, the family lunch, there must be about 70 of us there – there are seven tables and then the kiddies have their own little one in a different room,' he said while being quizzed by fellow ex-rugby star James Haskell and host Alex Payne.

Last edited by a moderator:
Queen Elizabeth , the Prince of Wales, the Earl and Countess of Wessex, Lady Louise , the Princess Royal and Sir Timothy Laurence attend at a morning church service at St Mary Magdalene Church in Sandringham, Norfolk.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EM9aFCzWoAA68Dc?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EM9aFDhXUAAcqp7?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EM9aFFzWkAEsTOj?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...embers-family-church-service-Sandringham.html

Last edited:
And stop referring to her as Kate Middleton. After 8 years I think she has earned the right to be referred to as Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge for God’s sake! These reporters annoy the hell out of me. :lol:

Well that is her name. And she is just referred to as the Duchess of Cambridge and he as Prince William, Duke of Cambridge.

I think in this day and age, where many people people keep their names I don't see a problem calling her Kate Middleton myself. Not in an official capacity of course. Diana was often called Lady Di by everyone on the street. In fact I remember that changing post divorce and everyone just called her Diana...given the change in title. I can't see how it matters really. Jl

Well that is her name. And she is just referred to as the Duchess of Cambridge and he as Prince William, Duke of Cambridge.

Nope.

To be pedantic her maiden name was Catherine Middleton. She is now married to The Duke of Cambridge, making her The Duchess. Legally Catherine/Kate Middleton doesn’t exist in reference to HRH, evidence is her children’s birth certificates and other legal documents. Her passport won’t say Catherine Middleton. They are not “referred” as, they are.

Nope.

To be pedantic her maiden name was Catherine Middleton. She is now married to The Duke of Cambridge, making her The Duchess. Legally Catherine/Kate Middleton doesn’t exist in reference to HRH, evidence is her children’s birth certificates and other legal documents. Her passport won’t say Catherine Middleton. They are not “referred” as, they are.

Of course I meant her birth name. I do not see any problem referring to her like that. That is all I meant. Like I said. In the 80's and early 90's Diana was always Lady Di. Which was her family name.

I still call the Duchess of Sussex Meghan Markle too. In fact a lot women in public are referred to by their maiden names (if that is how they first came to prominence). People used Grace Kelly and Princess Grace interchangeably, depending how they most knew her.

Officially of course they should rightfully be referred to by their titles.

It is days like this when you worry about James and Louise not having cousins - second cousins around them at these family events. Where did everyone go ? Then again maybe they just decided not to go to Church :)

It is days like this when you worry about James and Louise not having cousins - second cousins around them at these family events. Where did everyone go ? Then again maybe they just decided not to go to Church :)

Their older cousins are grown people who have other families to spend the holidays with too. They do what most folks do — bounce around from house to house during the holidays.

Outside of the Cambridge's there were no other children at church on Christmas Day because the others didn't go to Sandringham.

I believe Zara and Mike left on Boxing Day to come to Australia for the Magic Millions Race Meeting. Whether they have brought the children with them I have no idea ... but they haven't always done so in the past. As Mia has now started school and the actual race meeting would be after school resumes in the UK I wouldn't be surprised if the girls are with Mark, Peter and Autumn. I read somewhere that the Tindalls and Philip's were spending Christmas Day with Mark and not with Anne.

I would expect the Cambridge's to still be at Anmer Hall, on the Sandringham Estate, unless they have flown to Mustique to be with Catherine's family who are out there already.

The Yorks normally leave on Christmas Day or Boxing Day to go to Sarah. The surprise for me, at yesterday's church service was that Charles was still there as he normally heads to Scotland as soon as possible after Christmas (if not on Christmas Day itself) to spend New Year and January up there. Camilla, of course has gone to spend some of the holidays with her own children and grandchildren before joining Charles in Scotland.

A lot is made of the royals spending Christmas at Sandringham when the reality is that most of them are there for about 48 hours - from late Christmas Eve until sometime on Boxing Day.

The Queen and Philip are there throughout December, January and into early February. The Wesses's will leave when the kids have to go back to school. Anne returns to work in early January (as does Sophie - 7th for her).

It appears to be confirmed that Meghan & Harry spent Christmas holidays on Vancouver Island with Archie (along with friends and Meghan's Mom, Doria, dropping by). I wonder whether M&H brought their dogs with them too since they may have been away from Frogmore for a long time. It was nice to hear the Queen mention the happy highlight of Archie's birth during her Christmas speech:

https://www.marieclaire.com/celebrity/a30334670/meghan-markle-prince-harry-archie-canada/

https://happylifestyleinc.com/lifes...d-prince-harrys-14-million-vancouver-mansion/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom