British Royal Christmas 1: 2008-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Andrew was reported as the favourite in the 1980s and early 1990s but since the mid-1990s Edward, the baby, has been referred to as the favourite of both parents.

Being there on Boxing Day is quite common but not on Christmas Day as that is family only.

Sophie didn't drive to church with the Queen on Christmas Day before her failed pregnancy - partly because the Queen walked until after Edward and Sophie were married. I am sure that the first time she drove was the Christmas after the failed pregnancy almost because Sophie had to drive so the Queen went with her, rather than the other way round but now it is traditional that Sophie accompanies the Queen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did Lady Louise not attend again? She's six now so surley she should be going to church on Christmas Day. All the other young children there attended.

Thank you so much for the photos posted esp thanks to Iceflower they were exactally the type of Pictures i was after , Again Thank you. Best Wishes for 2010

You are very welcome, Stejak! :flowers:

Today the family attended the Sunday Church service in Sandringham,
Norfolk, Britain - December 27, 2009.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **

** Pic 6 ** Pic 7 ** Pic 8 ** Pic 9 **

Did Lady Louise not attend again? She's six now so surley she should be going to church on Christmas Day. All the other young children there attended.

I think it is clear that the Earl and Countess are not going to be letting their kids be seen for their own reasons.

Just because she didn't walk doesn't mean she didn't go - she may have been taken down earlier and left after everyone else or with a nanny or something.

Edward and Sophie have been very protective and that, I suspect, is going to continue and Louise and James will have a far more normal upbringing and be able to go to places without people staring at them and the paparazzi taking photos of them and the general public feeling that somehow they have a right to see them than ever happened with their older cousins.

We didn't see photos of her starting school or any of the other 'rights of passage' that were shown to the public. Most people couldn't care less about seeing them anyway so why put them out their and remove the potential for a virtually total private life unlike the rest of the family.

I doubt if we will be subject to the photos of them falling out of nightclubs in 20 years time, or the continual discussion about their love lives etc, which seems to be what most people discuss about their cousins and they will get normal jobs and work without doing 'royal' stuff like Zara and Peter (remember that Zara is in the limelight as much for being an excellent sportswoman as for being the eldest granddaughter of the monarch whereas Peter hardly rates a mention and has a regular job). Louise and James will do even less as by the time that they are teenagers and in their early 20s the odds are far more that they will be the neice and nephew and even possibly the cousins of the reigning monarch rather than the grandchildren and by then Edward and Sophie mightn't even be a Sandringham for Christmas as I suspect that Charles, in his determination to make the royal family smaller, may only have his own children and grandchildren there rather than adding his siblings and their descendents.

So would I. :flowers:
I have heard that Sophie is the Queens favourite daughter in law, but I have never heard Edward as the favourite son.
I do realise that it is the Queens car and she is the queen, I just don't see why Sophie can't walk with the rest of the family, even Prince Phillip walks with the others.

The reason Sophie doesn't walk is that she drives with the Queen presumably because the Queen doesn't want to walk and wants someone to talk to and Sophie is the best one to do that with as far as she is concerned.

My goodness! In ** Pic 1 ** I thought that the tall man in the blue coat was Prince Philip, until I saw Harry's face!!! His posture is just like the Duke's!:)

I couldn't imagine ever wasting so much of such a special day for a glimpse of a passing family going to and from church.
Fortunately we all have free choice in the matter. Some of us would choose to see the Royal Family, while some wouldn't.

On another tack, if any emphasis was needed... ** Pic 9 ** :)

After reading the comments it is clear that they have been failed by the British education system. Most of those posters couldn't even read the article properly.

It was the police who decided to confiscate the cameras based on the signs that are up - saying no photos to be taken on the estate, which is private property but that that regulation is relaxed on Christmas Day.

This event didn't take place on Christmas Day (Friday) but yesterday (Sunday).

:previous: Well I'm confused. The article seems to be dated 26/12, referring to events the previous day, i.e. 25/12, Christmas Day. I think someone well and truly snafued. The public, who have already been frisked, were then treated like paps and had their cameras confiscated. Not very good PR, methinks. If I had been amongst them, I would have definitely been very POd.

:previous:
Confiscating cameras from well-wishers is a sad thing. My impression after reading the article is that it was the Norfolk police, who was zealous in taking the camera from well-wishers. Is there a legal basis for doing so? Anyway the whole situation might reinforce negatives views some UK citizens having about a monarchy in general and the British royal family in particular.

:previous: Well I'm confused. The article seems to be dated 26/12, referring to events the previous day, i.e. 25/12, Christmas Day. I think someone well and truly snafued. The public, who have already been frisked, were then treated like paps and had their cameras confiscated. Not very good PR, methinks. If I had been amongst them, I would have definitely been very POd.

I don't know where you saw the date but I saw it as the 28th and it is still saying 28th.

In addition there is a photo in the article which clearly shows the Queen in an outfit which isn't the red one she wore on Christmas Day and is captioned 'The Queen leaves the Sunday service with Princess Beatrice of York'. The Queen's outfit is a greyish one.

Another photo of Prince William also refers to is being the Sunday service with the caption 'The pictures they didn't want you to see... Prince William plays with a child in a pushchair at the end of the Sandringham Sunday Church service'.

There is even a couple of comments that make it clear that this didn't happen on Christmas Day as they were there that day and no cameras were confiscated and they used theirs to take photos but on another site there is a story from someone who went both days and he makes it clear that this happened at the Sunday service on the 27th not on the 25th, when the rules are relaxed.

Shouldn't the Queen have a say whether the public are treated like this on her land? :whistling:
The article is dated the 28th, and talks about the previous days service.

I must be going mad, and blind, too.:lol: Yep, the article in question is dated 28th, and they're wearing different clothes. I still don't think the public should be treated like paparazzi though and be prevented from taking photos at an event like this. It's not good PR.

Remember that it wasn't the Queen that made this decision but the police.
It is clear that the Queen doesn't want the photos taken otherwise why put up the signs.

Andrew is the Queen's favorite and Anne is the Duke's favorite. But both of them get along well with Edward. They are very fond of Sophie....
Yes this is always what has been reported.

That Andrew was the favourite was the reported story in the 1980s and early 1990s but since the mid to late 90s it is Edward that has been referred to as the favourite.

There is something wrong.
None of them were genuinely happy. There was put on smiles but something is up.
Didn't anyone notice that the Duke of Edinburgh walked alone, than Edward, Anne and Tim Lawrence and then the large group of younger royals with Sarah Chatto and Helen Taylor. I have no idea where Prince Andrew walked.

Zara walking arm in arm with William in and then out with Harry. Sophie taken Beatrice arm when they walked out. They were finding support for themselves emotionally not as they were wearing heels. Edward and Andrew appeared to have been absence from the event, even Sunday appearance. We saw Edward arrive, but he didn't leave with the others.
I have never seen the Duke of Edinburgh walk alone to church on Christmas. The whole walk looks staged, something is wrong.

They all look completely normal to me, even jovial. Are you trying to suggest that Sophie and Edward are having problems?

i wonder what they buy for xmas presents?

They all look completely normal to me, even jovial. Are you trying to suggest that Sophie and Edward are having problems?

I agree with you.
I've seen the DofE walk on his own before, and as for the leaning on each other it's probably due to the ice and high heels. :)

Didn't anyone notice that the Duke of Edinburgh walked alone I have no idea where Prince Andrew walked.

And also this picture shows that Prince Andrew walked with the DofE.
http://i50.tinypic.com/2v2a174.jpg

This one shows Andrew walking in front of Prince William and Princess Beatrice.
http://i45.tinypic.com/1479fn.jpg

Edward and Andrew appeared to have been absence from the event, even Sunday appearance. We saw Edward arrive, but he didn't leave with the others.

http://i45.tinypic.com/1479fn.jpg
As for Prince Edward & Andrew.
Royals Attend Christmas Day Service At Sandringham - Pictures - Zimbio

You can see them leaving here. :flowers:

I agree with you.
I've seen the DofE walk on his own before, and as for the leaning on each other it's probably due to the ice and high heels. :)
And also this picture shows that Prince Andrew walked with the DofE.
http://i50.tinypic.com/2v2a174.jpg
And this is the reason why I don't trust photos in the papers - crop this one and it would be easy to say that the Duke went on his own by simply cutting Andrew out of the picture.

I suspect we are unlikely to see Kate at Sandringham this year as it will be her last Christmas before the wedding.

It was reported that William wasn't going to attend Sandringham this year, so Kate on her own is very improbable.
William probably chose to stay in Wales so he could spend his christmas quietly with his fiancee.

I was under the impression that he had volunteered to serve on Christmas Day but I haven't seen any confirmation that he will be on duty that day yet.
If he is on duty he won't be with Kate anyway as he will be on base and she will be somewhere else - either waiting alone in the house in Wales, with her family or maybe at Sandringham with her future family.

Sounds like Kate will be spending her last christmas with her parents...

I think that will make sense. Next year it will be expected that she at least attends the Christmas service before joining her family for the holidays. I think with William and Kate you will see more of a general holiday spilt. You know, how most people spend Thanksgiving with her family, and Christmas with his? Before it always appeared that that wives (Diana, Sophie and Sarah) didn't appear to see their families for the holiday. At least, that what it looked like via the pictures.

Traditionally the entire British royal family gathers the evening before Christmas at Sandringham, opens there presents that evening, attends church together the next morning, have lunch together and then watches the Queen's Christmas message. Camilla has been reported as leaving Sandringham to go to her own family after that.

I suspect that William and Kate will follow that formula and spend Christmas evening with the Middletons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom