British Royal Christmas 1: 2008-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^ He does indeed, and as usual he was smiling and greeting well wishers in not very good weather.

I too like Anne's coat (and hat.) I presume it's new, and not rejigged from 1976 or something! Just kidding! :p (snip)

I think Anne looks fabulous! Love the new green coat. I think it's new. I'm not so sure about that brown suede shoulder bag. I think it might have seen a few tours of duty. I had something very similar back in the 70s. I love the fact she uses shoulder bags. As long as you keep them small so you don't overload them and ruin your shoulders, they are so much more convenient than handbags.

I love HM’s red outfit. She even has a matching brolly! :D <strike>I am prepared to forgive her the dead animal trim. I will give her the benefit of the doubt and assume that whatever they were when they were alive was farmed, not wild caught, and that they were killed humanely.</strike> I've changed my mind. I'm pretty sure they were chinchillas. I do not condone farming animals in that way for the sole purpose of human vanity.

Philip looks very dapper.

Charles and Camilla are turned out well.

I love Kate’s outfit. The different greens are drawn together in the dress she’s wearing underneath. Love the black boots and gloves and purse, which she seems to have been practising carrying in positions other than across her crotch. Good move, Kate! William looks boring, as always, but at least he’s in grey, not blue, this time.

Nice to see Louise starting to dress her age.

Beatrice and Eugenie still need a lot of help. They both looked OK till I got to their feet.

Last edited:
Could someone be so kind and explain to me why there are two services attended by members of the Royal family on Christmas Day. One, earlier in the morning that seems to be private; and, one later which seems to be much more public.

Thank you.

Is the church at Sandringham on the Queen's private property or is it a community church? I'm asking because last year I read that the Middletons had to be invited to attend services on Christmas morning. Plus, you never see any one other than royals going into or exiting the church.

Every year since George was born I read speculation about whether he will attend church services. In seeing this is the first year James Viscount Severn attended, I wonder if there is family rule about what age the children are allowed to attend. I don't expect to see George until he is an age similar to James' this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they want the children to be able to sit through a service.

St Mary's at Sandringham is an entirely public church. It's just that, when royalty attend services there the public is excluded, except for invitees of course. This is almost certainly for security and privacy reasons.

The Queen is a deeply religious woman. On Christmas Day she and the Duke make a point of attending an early service and a later one. It's the later one that most of the other royals turn up to.

Every year since George was born I read speculation about whether he will attend church services. In seeing this is the first year James Viscount Severn attended, I wonder if there is family rule about what age the children are allowed to attend. I don't expect to see George until he is an age similar to James' this year.

Viscount Linley's daughter attended in 2007 when she was 5, so there doesn't seem to be a distinct age.

I think they want the children to be able to sit through a service.

Yep, I think it's less to do with a specific age, and more to do with having kids who are old enough to not cause a distraction. I mean, in a lot of churches, younger kids stay in a nursery or perhaps in Sunday school. Or sometimes when kids get too squirmy, their parents might take them out of the congregation to quiet down for a few minutes (at least, these are things I'm accustomed to at church). However, it's a bit of a different circumstance with the royals, so I assume it's just easier not to bring the little ones if they're not yet able to sit through a service, and I think that age differs from child to child.

Everyone looks just lovely. Nice to seemlouise with some very nice fitting c@othes and boots. Ah
None looks,fab with new green coat and nice gloves, wish some of the other ladies would wear glives

We'll have to agree to disagree about Beatrice's appearance in that photo. In my opinion she looks quite nice, but absolutely nowhere near "stunningly elegant".

For me Lady Violet, eh... I mean, Camilla, stole the show. What an elegant black-and-grey appearance. The perfect hat, the gloves, the umbrella, the eye-popping pearls and the diamond broche... Ten out of ten!

I think they all looked great dressed up in their best Christmas finery but, IMO, the person that really stole the show has to be HM, The Queen. That red outfit with the black fur trim were the perfect accessories to her beaming smile.

To me though, they could have been all wearing potato sacks as I think the most heartwarming part of the whole morning is to see generations of a family all gathered together to attend Christmas morning services together. You don't see that too much anymore.

Could someone be so kind and explain to me why there are two services attended by members of the Royal family on Christmas Day. One, earlier in the morning that seems to be private; and, one later which seems to be much more public.

Thank you.

I think the morning service is a Communion service and the later service a 'usual' service of prayer and carols. As far as I can remember before Philip was taken to hospital in 2013 we never really saw pictures of the early morning church service but now it seems to be the 'norm' that we get pictures from both.

The Queen's Christmas Day Speech was the country's most watched moment with 7.2 million viewers

The final episode of Downton Abbey was watched by 6.6 million viewers, beating EastEnders in a Christmas Day TV ratings battle, figures show.

But the Queen's speech, broadcast on BBC and ITV, was the most watched programme of the day, with a combined audience of 7.2 million.
Downton Abbey beats EastEnders in Christmas ratings battle - BBC News

Last edited:
Forgive me if this has been covered but where was Commander Tim Lawrence?

No Commander but Vice Admiral.
:flowers:

Here he is, with red scarf.

Last edited:
The royal ladies all looked very elegant on Christmas morning on their way to the church service.

I think they all looked great dressed up in their best Christmas finery but, IMO, the person that really stole the show has to be HM, The Queen. That red outfit with the black fur trim were the perfect accessories to her beaming smile.

To me though, they could have been all wearing potato sacks as I think the most heartwarming part of the whole morning is to see generations of a family all gathered together to attend Christmas morning services together. You don't see that too much anymore.

I Agree..HM was perfect and the other royal ladies rotated in her orbit. A collective stylish turnout, but HM was stunning.

The pictures do take you back to a time when the whole family went to church. Sadly, it's become a rare thing to see.

I wonder what made her decide to wear mink and chinchilla. She hasn't worn fur in years. It looked stunning.

I wonder what made her decide to wear mink and chinchilla. She hasn't worn fur in years. It looked stunning.

She wore the fur coat to the same early service a couple of years ago - this is 2013

Queen wears fur to Sandringham sparking fury from animal rights groups - Mirror Online

She also wore this fur coat in 2014 for the same event.

I think this is her 'normal' early morning Christmas Service coat.
She has probably been wearing this fur coat to this Christmas Service since the coat was purchased but she was never/rarely photographed in it.

Forgive me if this has been covered but where was Commander Tim Lawrence?

He was in the front. Normally he is in the back.

This year they arrived by the 'ages' of the Queen's children with their own children.

Prince Philip accompanied by his daughter Princess Anne
Prince Charles and Camilla
Tim (Filing in Princess Anne's spot.)
William Harry Catherine*
Andrew Beatrice & Eugenie
Edward Sophie Louise & James

IMO, W, H & C were walking too slow and Tim over took them.
(See videos RF page 65 post 1287 by Royal Norway.)

Don't know why anyone would get upset over The Queen wearing fur. She's been wearing the same furs for years. When the State Opening of Parliament took place in November, she wore white fur capes. Women and men wear fur, and it remains the most elegant attire one can wear. The Queen was the only one who beautifully stood out at Christmas service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom