The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-25-2013, 01:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
Gosh Harry, please put a coat on! Everybody else is wrapped up to the nines and he has just his suit jacket on.

Nice that Zara has come and she hitched a ride with the Queen for the early service.
Since he just got back from the Antarctic, this temperature may feel warm to Harry.

Old 12-25-2013, 02:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Video:
The Queen and members of the Royal family attended the Morning Service on Christmas Day at Sandringham Church-
Home - ITNSource News

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-25-2013, 02:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Does anyone know the times of the two services the RF attended? It must be a jolly nuisance to have to go to church twice in the one morning, wearing different outfits.

I think it's interesting that none of the ladies seems to be wearing a hat to the earlier service.

ETA I see that the hat issue has already been addressed, but I remain surprised. I was born into an Anglican family and was dragged to many a Christmas Day service before I got old enough to put my foot down and refuse to go, and there was no way that my mother or any of her friends or relatives would have gone to the service without a hat. This requirement seems to have relaxed over the years but I am still very surprised to see the Queen and the other royal women going to church without hats, especially since this is the service at which it seems they take communion. I would have thought it's a question of the propriety of wearing a hat into a church not the presence or absence of the public that was important. Clearly I am wrong and the Royals don't think it's important to wear a hat to church unless there are going to be other people in there to see them. But they've already been seen. Another one of life's little mysteries. We live and learn.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Who is she?

The Queen, Kate Middleton and Prince William attend Royal church service at Sandringham | Mail Online

In the 4th picture from the bottom, and in another furthur up, there is a woman or girl I can't identify. The caption reads: Princesses Beatrice (far left) and Eugenie (second right) walk to church with other members of the Royal Family

I think the guys may be Daniel and Sam Chatto, but I'm not sure of that. I think that Lady Sarah can be seen dimly in the background in front of the church- the picture with Zara front and center.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:21 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
The Queen, Kate Middleton and Prince William attend Royal church service at Sandringham | Mail Online

In the 4th picture from the bottom, and in another furthur up, there is a woman or girl I can't identify. The caption reads: Princesses Beatrice (far left) and Eugenie (second right) walk to church with other members of the Royal Family
Viscountess Linley
Old 12-25-2013, 03:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
Viscountess Linley
Well, I thought of her, but gosh! She looks so young! Thanks.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:39 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Yes, this picture does make her look younger than she is and that skirt helps.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/...01_964x486.jpg
Old 12-25-2013, 03:55 PM
Royal Highness

All the ladies look lovely. The Queen looks stunning!
Old 12-25-2013, 04:14 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Yes, this picture does make her look younger than she is and that skirt helps.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/...01_964x486.jpg
What - no screaming from the bushes that a 40+ woman should never wear a short skirt - need to lie down to recover.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-25-2013, 04:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Does anyone know the times of the two services the RF attended? It must be a jolly nuisance to have to go to church twice in the one morning, wearing different outfits.
9 am service is in a private part of estate, so ladies are in less formal attire.
11 am service is in the public part, where wellwishers can greet them, take pics etc, so they are in formal outfits including hats and jewellery.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Prince Harry Once Gave The Queen A Racy Shower Cap For Christmas, Apparently

Thought this was pretty interesting and gives a bit of insight into the Windsor's gift giving.
Old 12-25-2013, 05:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaelfka View Post
9 am service is in a private part of estate, so ladies are in less formal attire.
11 am service is in the public part, where wellwishers can greet them, take pics etc, so they are in formal outfits including hats and jewellery.
Thank you, annaelfka.

Only two hours apart? I suppose when you have servants doing all the cooking and laying out your outfits you can spend all Christmas day going to church and eating and changing into different outfits between each activity.

I find the hat business interesting because I have always thought there was some element of propriety involved, i.e. Anglican women were supposed to cover their heads in church like Catholics do (or at least did), but if the Queen herself doesn't see the need to wear a hat then the hat-wearing for Anglicans seems to only be about dressing up. Where's Bertie? She'll know.

Old 12-25-2013, 05:19 PM
Majesty

Still no James!

Old 12-25-2013, 05:38 PM
Majesty

From Twitter - o/s picture of Camilla.

http://t.co/uTo9j95Bja

Old 12-25-2013, 05:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Still no James!
I know! I really hoped he would be there. Louise was adorable though as she and Margarita helped William and Kate gather their flowers.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:17 PM
Majesty

No idea if this is the right place but the Monarchy website has put up highlights of 2013.

I've already found a pic of the Glos. which I've posted on their thread - never seen it before.

Here is the direct link

The British Monarchy in 2013: a Review (with images, tweets) · BritishMonarchy · Storify

this is the link to the entire website

http://www.royal.gov.uk/

Old 12-25-2013, 08:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Thank you, annaelfka.

Only two hours apart? I suppose when you have servants doing all the cooking and laying out your outfits you can spend all Christmas day going to church and eating and changing into different outfits between each activity.

I find the hat business interesting because I have always thought there was some element of propriety involved, i.e. Anglican women were supposed to cover their heads in church like Catholics do (or at least did), but if the Queen herself doesn't see the need to wear a hat then the hat-wearing for Anglicans seems to only be about dressing up. Where's Bertie? She'll know.

I'm baffled to see that the Royal ladies have attended church with heads uncovered - I had always assumed their hat-wearing was done for propriety's sake, not as a fashion-statement. (former Anglican, now RC here)
Old 12-26-2013, 12:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
What - no screaming from the bushes that a 40+ woman should never wear a short skirt - need to lie down to recover.
Not a peep.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:06 AM
Aristocracy

Why isn't James a part of the royal parade? I know he's young, but he's getting to an age where he should be a part of such gatherings, even if only for a short time. What's the youngest age a royal kid has done the walk to Christmas church services? Or is it decided more by the child's attention span and ability to behave? Some kids manage to grasp this faster than others.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Why isn't James a part of the royal parade?
Perhaps *Gasp* he's a Athiest !

Tags
christmas