British Royal Christmas 1: 2008-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Catherine looks quite ill. Good thing she didn't try to go to Sandringham. Her face is dark, even with makeup, and pain is in her eyes. Her hair is not even done right. A time of struggle for her. Bless her.

The Wessex's are, as always, the best looking, best turned out family among the royals.
Someone asked, where is James? At Sandringham with the nanny--little boys can make noise in church, I presume?

Yes Catherine does not look well! I really pray everything goes well with her pregnancy! Heroic from her that she attended the service.

I thought Catherine looked okay. Probably cold but happy to be with her husband and family for Christmas and preparing herself for the baby. I really excited for them.

Duchess of Cambridge looks very nice elegant ,,, But yes Unfortunately I see that too That she looks tired .. But glad to see her again :)

Thank you for posting this video. I look forward to Her Majesty's Christmas Address every year, and she almost never disappoints. This year was no exception.

It was delightful to see the Family out, attending Christmas services. Everyone looks great, and I love Her Majesty in blue (the new brooch is exquisite). Louise looks so precious in her pink coat, with white tights and black Mary-Jane shoes. It's like looking back into the past, when children dressed in a manner that was appropriate for their age group. Poor Catherine looks rather exhausted, so I do hope that she feels better. It was nice to see her and William out as well.

The Queen looked very nice today. Looks like she was wearing another creation from Angela Kelly. She also wore the same dress she wore to her Jubilee Thanksgiving Service in the Christmas message.

Members of the royal family looked very nice as well. Really like Princess Beatrice's outfit.

I seriously believe it is not wise to spend the Christmas with the Middletons. Christmas at Sandringham gives a wonderful image of the Royal Family being together religiously, which is the ultimate projection a family can get. Also, it is a tradition, old or new, and it has to be followed. No one including Diana or Sophie made fuss about this. Once they are part of this family, they should be here. Imagine what if every royal spouse wants to take her husband and kids to her parents' home for Christmas..The Linleys, The Chattos, The Wessexes, everyone could have gone to their in-laws homes, but they remained devoted to the Queen and Sandringham.
Christmas at Sandringham is the informal, religious equivalent of Trooping the Colour/Remembrance. Many people look forward to seeing the whole family there. I am very disappointed by Will and Kate doing so.
But since the Queen already knows everything in advance, she must have approved. But still I hope this is the last time they spend Christmas awat from their family.I really dont buy this 'one year here one year there theory.

Traditions, like rules, are made to be broken. Good grief, its the first time. You'd swear by spending Christmas with Catherine's family William is neglecting a constitutional duty.

So lovely to see everyone looking so well and dressed in their finery. Louise's rose pink coat is adorable, though I do wish she had different shoes on. She does look cute as a button though, and her big smile just tops it off. A lot of people comment on other websites remark that Louise is dressed as a 5 year old, however Zara and the York sisters wore similar coats and tights/shoes until they were definitely 11/12ish for Christmas. It's age appropriate. Of course it would look cute if she rocked up in sparkled tights and bright gold shoes, but she is a Windsor - they are strict rules at Christmas.

Sophie looks lovely, but it's so odd to actually see her walk to Church. Wonder what happened there. The men look lovely in their overcoats, and the Phillips-Tindalls group all look wonderful.

There weren't that many photos this year; it just goes to show how much attention the "Trio" bring.

Traditions, like rules, are made to be broken.
Dude tradition is the sole pillar on which stands the edifice of monarchy. If you "can break" it, or not care for it, then there is no point in talking further.
What I am disappointed with is the parallel coverage of Sandringham and Middletons'. Hopefully this will not repeat often in future.

So lovely to see everyone looking so well and dressed in their finery. Louise's rose pink coat is adorable, though I do wish she had different shoes on. She does look cute as a button though, and her big smile just tops it off. A lot of people comment on other websites remark that Louise is dressed as a 5 year old, however Zara and the York sisters wore similar coats and tights/shoes until they were definitely 11/12ish for Christmas. It's age appropriate. Of course it would look cute if she rocked up in sparkled tights and bright gold shoes, but she is a Windsor - they are strict rules at Christmas.

Sophie looks lovely, but it's so odd to actually see her walk to Church. Wonder what happened there. The men look lovely in their overcoats, and the Phillips-Tindalls group all look wonderful.

There weren't that many photos this year; it just goes to show how much attention the "Trio" bring.

I think that Louise's old-fashioned style of dress is quite refreshing. I work with kids who are four, and let me tell you, some of the girls come to school wearing make-up and nail polish (one of the boys came in with blue nail polish in September, and his mom loves to tell us that he wants to wear sparkly shoes, because his big sister has them :ermm:...now, fashion statements are fine, but sparkly shoes for a little boy is going just a tad too far, especially for school), so Louise, dressed in age-appropriate attire is just what we need. I think white or beige shoes would have looked better, but, we also have to remember that if it's muddy, or wet, black shoes would hide any dirt that may accumulate during a walk (also, it's winter, so black footwear is perfectly doable). I'm glad Sophie encourages the more retro look for her daughter. It suits her perfectly.

I actually think Beatrice looks best this year.
I love that caped coat she is wearing.

But still I hope this is the last time they spend Christmas awat from their family.I really dont buy this 'one year here one year there theory.

They did not spend Christmas away with their family.

The Middletons are absolutely no less William and Catherine's family than the Royal Family. I think it is lovely that this is acknowledged on Christmas Day.

Also, how odd to criticize a choice that is almost certainly largely based on Catherine's severe illness and her resulting inability to fully partake in Christmas at Sandringham. By going to a more low-key location she can take part in everything instead of having to 'sit out' much of it. I feel certain that her health trumps people's desire to see her in public with the other half of her family.

Also, how odd to criticize a choice that is almost certainly largely based on Catherine's severe illness and her resulting inability to fully partake in Christmas at Sandringham. By going to a more low-key location she can take part in everything instead of having to 'sit out' much of it. I feel certain that her health trumps people's desire to see her in public with the other half of her family.

Considering she participated in exactly the same events with the Middletons as she would have with the royals, illness doesn't seemed to have made an effect on the day.

How does anyone know what the royals do on Christmas Day, let alone the Middleton Family?

One thing is for certain, Catherine is free to curl up in bed and sleep all day if she chooses or walk around in her pyjamas and not worry about bumping into Peter Philips

Last edited:
Duke-of-Earl said:
How does anyone know what the royals do on Christmas Day, let alone the Middleton Family?

One thing is for certain, Catherine is free to curl up in her bed and sleep all day if she chooses or walk around in her pyjamas and not worry about bumping into Peter Philips

Agreed. Christmas at her parents where we most likely saw the mot strenuous part of her day sounds much more relaxing than 3 days at any in-laws, let alone Royal ones. If she wants to get up and go lie down or just lounge around,no worries. At sandringham, there is a dress code and a timetable. Just the stress of wanting to attend or making choices of what to attend and apologies for this thing you do and don't attend. And william still be obligated to attend) and leaving Kate alone. With a house of 20+ family in attendance all giving their well intentioned advice and anecdotes about their pregnancies. Sometimes you just want to curl up and have your mom take care of you.

Unlike some posters, I don't see this as a break in tradition...I expect the Cambridges to be back at sandringham next year and for years to come.

The Cambridges are a traditional but yet modern couple. They decided to do something a little different this year and spent Christmas with the Middletons. The Queen and members of the royal family found nothing wrong with it. They will be back at Sandringham anyway and spend some time with the family.

Now, Camilla will split and join the Parker Bowleses and then her and Charles will probably go up to Birkhall or Highgrove. The Queen will be inviting guest to Sandringham and everybody will be doing their own thing.

I seriously believe it is not wise to spend the Christmas with the Middletons. Christmas at Sandringham gives a wonderful image of the Royal Family being together religiously, which is the ultimate projection a family can get. Also, it is a tradition, old or new, and it has to be followed. No one including Diana or Sophie made fuss about this. Once they are part of this family, they should be here. Imagine what if every royal spouse wants to take her husband and kids to her parents' home for Christmas..The Linleys, The Chattos, The Wessexes, everyone could have gone to their in-laws homes, but they remained devoted to the Queen and Sandringham.
Christmas at Sandringham is the informal, religious equivalent of Trooping the Colour/Remembrance. Many people look forward to seeing the whole family there. I am very disappointed by Will and Kate doing so.
But since the Queen already knows everything in advance, she must have approved. But still I hope this is the last time they spend Christmas awat from their family.I really dont buy this 'one year here one year there theory.

I honestly believe that HM, the DoE, and PoW would like Catherine to be as comfortable as possible. Considering that Christmas at Sandringham is a more formal affair, the senior royals were likely open to the suggestion that she spend a quieter Christmas at Buckleberry. The photos from today show a rather tired looking lady.

Regarding the reactions of other royal in-laws apparently Diana also wished that she could take her family to Althrop for Christmas but was unable to do so. If the senior British royals have come to the conclusion that permitting members of the BRF time with their own family to be fine then I'm all right with that.

^^^
I don't know if it's the Queen, th DoE and Charles coming to a different opinion than it was during Diana's times. It is only Kate spending Christmas with her family, all the other spouses - from Camilla to Sophie to Tim to Autumn and Mike - are with the Royal Family, which is there precisely because it perpetuates certain traditions of which William, as future king, should be particularly attentive. Beatrice and Eugenie are also with the Royal Family every year, and never spend Christmas days with their mother.
Also, Kate was feeling well enough to go to church, which I take as a sign of relatively good health. She might be more confortable staying with her family than with the royal family, but the whole point of being royal is dedication to the public work, isn't it?
I'm with the ones who think the Cambridges should have come to Sandrigham.

The Middleton could be very comfortable with Christmas thru Boxing Day at York Cottage in the future, and I think it will be easier on everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom