The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-25-2020, 03:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

I just watched the Queen's Christmas message (shown in Oz at 7.25 p.m. on Christmas Day).

She mentioned the ways we have risen to the challenges of the year. That was clearly the focus of the entire speech.

The photo on her desk was one of Philip.

I didn't see any other pictures of her family but lots of pictures of ordinary Brits celebrated their different religious traditions in 2020.

She included video of some of the work her family did in support of the NHS, nurses etc - Charles, Camilla, William, Catherine, Edward, Sophie. I didn't see any others but may have missed them.

She again honoured the Unknown Warrior - including images of her visit to WA to honour him.

She also included the video of her knighting Sir Tom Moore. Anne was shown as part of the gathering for the Carol Concert held at Windsor a week or so ago.

No mention of any family by name at all.

No mention of Brexit despite reports that she was delaying filming the message to comment on that issue ... but as the deal wasn't agreed until Christmas Eve that probably isn't a surprise.

Old 12-25-2020, 04:09 AM
Serene Highness

Thank you for the summary of the Queen's Christmas Message, Iluvbertie!!!

I was thinking of watching it, but I missed it due to family dinner. I saw a post on instagram released by the Royal Family account. It has a video recording of the St George’s Chapel singing ‘We wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year’
@theroyalfamily Verified
🎄 🎶 Wishing all our followers a very Merry Christmas!
🎥 St George’s Chapel choir sing ‘We wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year’.
The Chapel, situated in the grounds of Windsor Castle, has a unique Royal history. Follow our link in bio to find out more.
This footage was filmed before the most recent Covid restrictions were in place, and Government guidelines were followed at all times.
6m
https://www.instagram.com/p/CJNv8EHnI7Y/

Old 12-25-2020, 04:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you for the summary, Bertie ! I’m sure the message was beautifully spoken and much needed...
Old 12-25-2020, 04:31 AM
Serene Highness

I'm doing the traditional thing and watching it at 3pm :-) . It's strange not having all the Christmas morning pictures of the Royals going to church.
Old 12-25-2020, 04:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

In Oz if someone watches it, it will be at the end of the ABC news, at 7.25 p.m. Some families I know use it as the sign that it is time for the kids to go to bed (my sister-in-law and her siblings have always used that as the 'end of Christmas Day' for the kids ... that way none of them watch it). When my nieces were little I always missed it to help put them to bed ... they loved their aunt reading them a bedtime story.
Old 12-25-2020, 06:01 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
In Oz if someone watches it, it will be at the end of the ABC news, at 7.25 p.m. Some families I know use it as the sign that it is time for the kids to go to bed (my sister-in-law and her siblings have always used that as the 'end of Christmas Day' for the kids ... that way none of them watch it). When my nieces were little I always missed it to help put them to bed ... they loved their aunt reading them a bedtime story.
Dang, I missed the time slot!!

I will just wait until some broadcast upload it on Youtube. It's not iview either
Old 12-25-2020, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Recorded earlier this month but released yesterday The Choir of St George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle

Old 12-25-2020, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Here's this year's Christmas Broadcast:

Old 12-25-2020, 10:28 AM
Royal Highness

It was good, as usual.

I liked the use of the Hold Still pictures sprinkled in and the zoom calls the family made all year.

As always I like when HM is able to a certain extent to share her ideas on faith and that she mentioned other faiths and communities being apart this year for their celebrations and Diwali fireworks also being a light of hope in the darkness.

A reminder that the Unknown Warrior is unknown and unexceptional for a reason and he represents everyone.

Enjoyed Joy to the World by the NHS Choir. Bit surreal for them in their scrubs at Windsor or wherever they filmed it I imagine.
Old 12-25-2020, 10:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Who's cutting onions?
That was such a beautiful message, I teared up. I actually listened to it 2x. I tried the Amazon Alexa feature. How cool was that?!?!

The message was beautiful, inspiring, and very focused on the hard work that people of the Commonwealth and the UK . I loved the analogy of the kindness of people- strangers even during these and the account of the Good Samaritan in the Bible. That's when the tears started flowing.

Imo, it was her best speech ever!
Old 12-25-2020, 10:52 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I just watched the Queen's Christmas message
The Queen’s Christmas broadcast brought tears to my eyes. One of her finest in my opinion.
Old 12-25-2020, 11:28 AM
Nobility

We don’t usually watch but it did seem a very relevant speech. I think the Queen is hampered by subjects that can be very political so she ends up being oblique as she can’t express her opinion. Whereas covid is such a universal terrible issue, she can really express her sincere feelings as she is being affected too and expressed that everyone just wants to hug again!
Old 12-25-2020, 12:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

I’m going to watch the speech later, but I did see a clip - and what I can say is that HM is always so comforting, even to those of us who live across the ocean.
Old 12-25-2020, 12:37 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I just watched the Queen's Christmas message (shown in Oz at 7.25 p.m. on Christmas Day).

She mentioned the ways we have risen to the challenges of the year. That was clearly the focus of the entire speech.

The photo on her desk was one of Philip.

I didn't see any other pictures of her family but lots of pictures of ordinary Brits celebrated their different religious traditions in 2020.

She included video of some of the work her family did in support of the NHS, nurses etc - Charles, Camilla, William, Catherine, Edward, Sophie. I didn't see any others but may have missed them.

She again honoured the Unknown Warrior - including images of her visit to WA to honour him.

She also included the video of her knighting Sir Tom Moore. Anne was shown as part of the gathering for the Carol Concert held at Windsor a week or so ago.

No mention of any family by name at all.

No mention of Brexit despite reports that she was delaying filming the message to comment on that issue ... but as the deal wasn't agreed until Christmas Eve that probably isn't a surprise.
Anne was also in the second video call shown at 1.58 (together with the queen).
Old 12-25-2020, 12:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
What a beautiful Christmas message from the heart. It really was excellently put together and encompassed thoughts that everyone near and far could identify with.

I loved how HM brought in the subject of the Christmas star. It made me think it pertinent that it was this year, 2020, when the same "star" appeared in our skies after 800 some years. We needed it this year.
Old 12-25-2020, 01:32 PM
Heir Apparent

I enjoy the videos of the videocalls. To see The Queen giggling is such a pleasure. She has such a cute smile! I would love to hear her giggling. Must be an amazing experience!
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 12-25-2020, 02:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Queen usually has photos of all her family around her, doesn’t she? So the fact that she only had a photo of Philip - I take it then thats almost to represent how she and everyone else are separated from most of their loved ones? If so, how poignant...
Old 12-25-2020, 03:48 PM
Serene Highness

Very moving speech by The Queen, not just on the meaning of Christmas, but also thanking the frontline workers throughout the pandemic. I also like how the video included pictures/video of Hold Still, charities and hospital workers and royal engagements (physical and virtual)

Princess Eugenie has posted on Instagram on how The Queen's message means to the world and shared some moments that touched her.
@princesseugenie Verified
Your Majesty, Granny, your words meant so much today and at the end of a year that has tested the world in so many ways. ⁣
Some moments that touched me: ⁣
"In the United Kingdom and around the world, people have risen magnificently to the challenges of the year, and I am so proud and moved by this quiet, indomitable spirit"⁣
"Of course for many, this time of year will be tinged with sadness - some mourning the loss of those dear to them and others missing friends and family members distanced for safety, when all they really want for Christmas is a simple hug or a squeeze of the hand"⁣
"If you are among them, you are not alone, and let me assure you of my thoughts and prayers"⁣
⁣"We continue to be inspired by the kindness of strangers and draw comfort that even on the darkest nights there is hope in the new dawn"⁣
Thank you for inspiring and leading us as always ⁣
Happy Christmas everyone 🎄🎄⁣
2h
https://www.instagram.com/p/CJOz5VBFO07/
Old 12-25-2020, 03:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
The Queen usually has photos of all her family around her, doesn’t she? So the fact that she only had a photo of Philip - I take it then thats almost to represent how she and everyone else are separated from most of their loved ones? If so, how poignant...

I believe that it varies from year to year but I agree that it may because she and Phillip are separated from the rest of their family like so many across the nation and the globe.

A lovely speech this year that paid homage to those on the frontline and acknowledging the losses that so many of us are feeling in 2020.
Old 12-25-2020, 06:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I believe that it varies from year to year but I agree that it may because she and Phillip are separated from the rest of their family like so many across the nation and the globe.

A lovely speech this year that paid homage to those on the frontline and acknowledging the losses that so many of us are feeling in 2020.
HM always seems to know what to say...it always comes straight from the heart, no pretense at all

Tags
christmas