The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-22-2020, 03:51 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
I haven't read the background to all this. Why did Edward and Sophie travel 132 miles to Norfolk from a Tier 4 area?
I actually think that they are on the Sandringham estate. We have no way of knowing how long they have been there, maybe as long as William and Kate have been at Anmer. Made me wonder if the Duke of Edinburgh isn’t somewhere there too.

Old 12-22-2020, 03:57 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Yes, I did wonder about that myself, especially as Louise and James are beyond the wide eyed wondering at Xmas lights stage. Nor are the Queen and Prince Philip at Sandringham to visit. And once there the Wessexeswere given a slot near to the Cambridges who happened to be visiting the display at that particular day and time. A very large coincidence, surely?
Yep, this is why I think the Wessex’s are at Sandringham. The light show was due to be visited by all members of the royal family. So they had arrangements with The Princess Royals’s family and the York’s as well. But due to the lockdown only royals that could attend were those in the vicinity, so the Wessex’s must be at Sandringham.

Old 12-22-2020, 04:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
The royal chefs have been tempting viewers and expanding waistlines all year long with traditional recipes.
I think many people are doing more baking than ever as they are home now, so what a fine and delicious idea!
Old 12-22-2020, 04:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Yep, this is why I think the Wessex’s are at Sandringham. The light show was due to be visited by all members of the royal family. So they had arrangements with The Princess Royals’s family and the York’s as well. But due to the lockdown only royals that could attend were those in the vicinity, so the Wessex’s must be at Sandringham.
Thank you for this additional information Claire. It's a shame that the York and Princess Royal's families were unable to attend as it would have been a wonderful treat for the Phillips and Tindall girls to join in too.

I've read that the Wessex family had left prior to the Tier 4 announcement so it appears that they were fortunate to be able to travel to Sandringham.
Old 12-22-2020, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
The royal pastry chefs have shared their recipe and how to video for gingerbread houses. They're asking the public to create and share their edible creations too. Steady, practiced hands create the most delicate decorations with royal icing. (Click on the link to find the recipe.)

https://twitter.com/RoyalFamily/stat...7Ctwgr%5Etweet
They make it look so easy
Old 12-22-2020, 04:46 PM
Heir Apparent

The pastry chef who so effortlessly piped the decorations on the gingerbread pieces!!! Mad skills.
Old 12-22-2020, 04:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Here is a little more information on Luminate. The attraction is not themed for Christmas so there won't be holiday specific lights or a Father Christmas at the end of the trail. It's open through Jan. 17 2021.

Quote:
Daniel Maycock, director of Luminate, said "We have had to ‘re-imagine’ some of the interactive elements, so there are less touch points but we feel we have created a memorable trail, with something for all ages."
https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/luminat...ctures-6853838

They're offering refunds for those who have to cancel or will allow visitors to reschedule.

Quote:
The event has been modified due to coronavirus, with online pre booking of tickets required, strict time slot entry on the night to reduce any queuing and a reduction in the capacity on the event site, being just some of the measures in place.
Some of the profit raised will be going back to the Sandringham Estate according to Luminate Director Daniel Maylock.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...-christmas-evg
Old 12-22-2020, 04:58 PM
Majesty

That may be all very admirable in ordinary times, however a Luminate attraction drawing (hopefully) large crowds, is an odd thing to plan and promote in a year when the general theme has been, to beat a pandemic every person/family/ household should be very careful about social distancing and isolating from others.

Especially in the UK, which has had a very high level of active cases. Especially too, when held on a royal estate owned by the head of a family which is supposed to set an example to others.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:00 PM
Heir Apparent

I think its simply a case that the Wessex's were on a pre-Christmas trip to Sandringham asa break from their own home. They may well have been there for quite a while a Louise's school broke up for end of term on 10th Dec. I certainly don't believe they travelled on the Sunday after the Tier 4 lockdown. Sandringham is where they usually go for Christmas and unlike some of the families they do stay on quite long with HM and Philip usually so I can see them wanting to spend some time there, which would have been allowed before the latest announcements.
As for them having a slot at around the same time as the Cambridges, likely all and any tickets/slots for the RF were booked at the same time resulting in sequential time slots.

What I find ironic is that there wouldn't have been a single fuss if the same thing had happened with other families - e.g a 'regular' family running into the Cambridge's. Even the DM pointed out the families maintained social distancing and I'm sure they have picked the photos that best make it seem they were close together.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
That may be all very admirable in ordinary times, however a Luminate attraction drawing (hopefully) large crowds, is an odd thing to plan and promote in a year when the general theme has been, to beat a pandemic and so every person/family/ household should be very careful about social distancing and isolating from others.

Especially in the UK, which has had a very high level of active cases. Especially too, when held on a royal estate owned by the head of a family which is supposed to set an example to others.
If the attraction was not allowed it would not have happened, it is permitted so went ahead. Simple as. The estate is setting an example - of how other employers and businesses can adjust to be as Covid safe as is possible whilst accepting the only 100% safe thing is for us all to stay in hiding under the table and never leave the house again.

There is no winning here as I'm sure the same people would be causing merry hell when the Estate needed government bailing out to keep going or closed down and lost all the jobs and support to the local economy.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Perhaps even a better idea would have been to scratch the walk through totally for this holiday season? Scratch anything that would serve to draw crowds of any size.
I agree. It might seem harsh but so is spending your last moments on earth in an intensive care unit unable to breathe without assistance and unable to say any final words to your family and loved ones because they cannot visit you. This is a cruel disease and I think very harsh decisions need to be made in order to stem the spread to other people. There are plenty of ways to keep yourself and your children entertained without having to go out and mix with other groups of people. In my opinion, if even one life is saved because a Christmas walk is cancelled, it is more than worth it.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
If the attraction was not allowed it would not have happened, it is permitted so went ahead. Simple as. The estate is setting an example - of how other employers and businesses can adjust to be as Covid safe as is possible whilst accepting the only 100% safe thing is for us all to stay in hiding under the table and never leave the house again.
Agreed the attraction would have had to have been approved by local authorities months ago to be open to the public. As the director pointed out, they'd already revamped the displays to reduce touch points due to changing COVID restrictions.

I live in and close to Southern California's theme park central which includes Los Angeles, Orange and San Diego counties. We've lost billions in revenue just from the parks and thousands of park employees have been laid off. The ripple effect is continues through all of the industries that support the Six Flags Magic Mountain, Disneyland Parks, Knott's Berry Farm, Universal Studios, The San Diego Wild Animal Park, Sea World etc.. Some were able to make some adjustments and open for food related events but most have not seen a visitor since early March.

If Luminate can provide a safe opportunity and needed employment, I can understand why the attraction would have received approval.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:14 PM
Majesty

Tommy, you're speaking to a person from a State which for months had the harshest lockdown ever seen but which managed to eliminate Coronavirus from Victoria. And in spite of recent events in NSW, Australians have kept our numbers of active cases very low throughout this year. New Years Eve fireworks are still banned in 2021 in spite of that. Nothing like the Sandringham display which would definitely attract huge numbers of families would be allowed here, still.

And I can assure you that people here would be just as keen to go out as they apparently are at Sandringham. People just have to grasp the nettle and not mingle or this thing will just continue on for another six months.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Well we aren't talking about what rules apply to where you are Curryong but what rules apply to the area this attraction was in, thats all we can judge against. In the UK all 4 constituent countries have vastly different rules so adding rules in different states in Australia into the mix is making it unnecessarily complicated and does not really make any difference.

Was the attraction within the law of the area it was in? YES

Why make it any more complicated than that just to prove a point.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:29 PM
Majesty

I know Australia's record of attacking Covid is irrelevant to what happened in Norfolk, though perhaps it shouldn't be.

However, the point is that it's not Australia that is criticising the Cambridge/Wessex attendance at this event but the British media and some of the British public, who have pointed out that rules on mingling/social distancing were broken. It can't and shouldn't be swept under the carpet. This is not acceptable during a pandemic. That should be as clear as eggs!
Old 12-22-2020, 05:35 PM
Heir Apparent

We can't all be perfect all the time and accidents happen I guess. Some people seem to have such high standards of behaviour.

I wonder if the Wessexes are going to spend the whole of Christmas at Sandringham. Would be nice for them.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:44 PM
Serene Highness

I am sorry to tell you this, but you are the only ones making a fuss.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:57 PM
Majesty

Who's 'You'? The British media certainly made points about this in several articles, and trawled SM to show some more people who didn't approve either.
Old 12-22-2020, 06:03 PM
Serene Highness

I went to a similar light festival here last week, held in a public park which is vital for the local community and has already lost a vast amount of money this year due to summertime concerts being scrapped and the cafes having to close for 3 months. People were asked to try to keep 2 metres apart. But some people walk more quickly than others. Some people spend longer than others looking at particular displays. Some people stop to take photos, tie shoelaces, stop kids from whingeing, or whatever. People don't walk through in an orderly, military fashion, so groups do overlap sometimes.

I really don't see that it needs to be the headlines of a newspaper. But it was only one newspaper.
Old 12-22-2020, 06:07 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Who's 'You'? The British media certainly made points about this in several articles, and trawled SM to show some more people who didn't approve either.
I should have said this thread,
I was not directing the comment to an individual poster. SM, IMO does not represent a country and people will pick on whatever individual they do not like, from any walk of life.

The Daily Mail ran this first, but I know this is not usually a popular newspaper on this forum.
It was a one day story. The real point being that the rules are so confused everybody gets mixed up and inadvertently makes mistakes.
Each tier has different rules, sometimes youngsters do not count, sometimes they do.
As for social distancing try Morrison's or Sainsbury's.

Tags
christmas