The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-22-2020, 03:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
This is actually on the front page of the Mail. Infection rates across the country have gone up by 62% in a week, and have almost trebled in some areas. Transport links to other countries have been cut off. This is by the far the biggest crisis since 1945. But, hey, let's make the front page headline the news that 9 members of the Royal Family have been for a walk together! All right, it was breaking the rules, but does it really need to be front page news?!
It should be news. Many people are sheep, they lead by example. They see celebrities and political leaders and royals do something 'oh it must be okay'. Royals flaunting rules blatantly when the UK numbers are sky rocketing, its borders are closing and people are struggling with severe depression due to lockdown, IS news.

So yes, calling out even royals for their bad behavior, is more important then ever.

Its not like this is a story about them getting a speeding ticket during covid. This is directly linked to the rising pandemic. Most out breaks have been linked to private gatherings.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
It is an exclusive - with pics. So that alone will be the reason it is on the front page. And it is a very slow news week. Nothing but corona and brexit.

I went to one of these light parks last week and it is really difficult to keep the social distancing. I often stopped and waiting for the family ahead of us and the family behind us - we often walking next to us.

The Wessex were 15 min behind the Cambridge's - I can easily see them getting mingled.

You can avoid mingling. Sorry but it's not that hard to stay six feet apart when busy. They were walking side by side in photos all chummy. If commoners can manage to keep back 6 feet from others in front of them, I am sure they could as well.

Old 12-22-2020, 08:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
It is an exclusive - with pics. So that alone will be the reason it is on the front page. And it is a very slow news week. Nothing but corona and brexit.

I went to one of these light parks last week and it is really difficult to keep the social distancing. I often stopped and waiting for the family ahead of us and the family behind us - we often walking next to us.

The Wessex were 15 min behind the Cambridge's - I can easily see them getting mingled.
Yes and especially with older people, those with mobility issues or young children who will tend to stop, start, speed up, and slow down while walking. The description mentioned that the path for the event was a mile long. The parties ahead of the Cambridges were likely dealing with the same concerns with the groups ahead of them and so on.

Old 12-22-2020, 12:01 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
This is actually on the front page of the Mail. Infection rates across the country have gone up by 62% in a week, and have almost trebled in some areas. Transport links to other countries have been cut off. This is by the far the biggest crisis since 1945. But, hey, let's make the front page headline the news that 9 members of the Royal Family have been for a walk together! All right, it was breaking the rules, but does it really need to be front page news?!
None of the other papers have it on their front pages. Unsurprising really given what else is going on as you say. The Mail certainly loves its dramas! Yawn indeed.
Old 12-22-2020, 12:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Unlike other parts of the UK, England’s restrictions on outdoor gatherings include children:

“This limit of six includes children of any age”, it states on the government website.

Queen’s Christmas message to be made available through Amazon's Alexa
Queen's Sandringham estate accused of setting traps dangerous to wildlife
A source at Sandringham, responded on behalf of both families saying: “The two families were given separate consecutive slots to visit the trail just before it opened to the general public. They arrived, and departed in their own family groups.”

But in an apparent admission that the royals did break the Rule of Six, the source added: “As anyone with young children will know, there were moments on the 90 minute walk where it was difficult to keep the two family groups apart particularly at bottlenecks on the trail.”
https://www.itv.com/news/2020-12-22/...at-sandringham

I’m sorry, do a better job. I know this has been so hard on everyone, especially children, but until this virus is contained or there is a vaccine for everyone, we all just need to not let up.

I will say that perhaps there wasn’t enough time in between slots. The problem with things like this is that people linger, hence you get bottlenecks. That just can’t be allowed to happen....maybe there will need to be guards stationed at certain places to move people on.
Old 12-22-2020, 12:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes Betsypaige the only way to ensure that bottleneck traffic jams do not occur would be to station with stop signs and walkie talkies at various places on the route. Add to that some roaming staff to remind guests to remain at a social distancing. In CA drive through light events are popular this year at sites such as Six Flags Magic Mountain and Dodger Stadium. They're alternatives to the cancelled boat parades and traditional walk through attractions.
Old 12-22-2020, 12:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Yes Betsypaige the only way to ensure that bottleneck traffic jams do not occur would be to station with stop signs and walkie talkies at various places on the route. Add to that some roaming staff to remind guests to remain at a social distancing. In CA drive through light events are popular this year at sites such as Six Flags Magic Mountain and Dodger Stadium. They're alternatives to the cancelled boat parades and traditional walk through attractions.

I like the idea of roaming staff...but ultimately, I think making it a drive through - or creating a drive through elsewhere on the estate, where it is possible, is the best option. I imagine there were others who also broke protocol, which means we have to wonder about people getting sick. In retrospect, this was not a good idea.
Old 12-22-2020, 12:32 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
https://www.itv.com/news/2020-12-22/...at-sandringham

I’m sorry, do a better job. I know this has been so hard on everyone, especially children, but until this virus is contained or there is a vaccine for everyone, we all just need to not let up.

I will say that perhaps there wasn’t enough time in between slots. The problem with things like this is that people linger, hence you get bottlenecks. That just can’t be allowed to happen....maybe there will need to be guards stationed at certain places to move people on.
Clearly it was an issue on this trail because the person who took the pictures was just as close to the Wessexes as the Cambs were. So either increase the time between slots or disallow young children, because I think one of the problems was that the Cambs were up front with young children (short legs) who were walking much slower than the people in the later groups, so the Wessexes and the picture taker group got bottlenecked behind them.
Old 12-22-2020, 12:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Perhaps even a better idea would have been to scratch the walk through totally for this holiday season? Scratch anything that would serve to draw crowds of any size.
Old 12-22-2020, 12:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
Clearly it was an issue on this trail because the person who took the pictures was just as close to the Wessexes as the Cambs were. So either increase the time between slots or disallow young children, because I think one of the problems was that the Cambs were up front with young children (short legs) who were walking much slower than the people in the later groups, so the Wessexes and the picture taker group got bottlenecked behind them.
I wonder if the person who took the pictures reported themself for getting seemingly as close as the two families did to each other. Probably not...some people don't see their own actions just the wrong others do.

TBF I'm a teacher and yesterday walked with a fellow teacher in a park local to us....we saw so many of our children out with their friends all from different households mixing in the park, many over the 6 limit. We were told all summer how it was safer to be outdoors than in and that when outside the risk was minimal. Did they break the rules, yes seemingly so. Did they mean to? No. Do we all from time to time break the rules - I reckon 80% of people have at one point or another even if its forgetting to wear a mask for a quick shop etc. They weren't hosting a houseparty for 20 and the way the rules keep changing all the time I don't blame them not simply walking past each other super quick given it sounds increasingly likely no one will be seeing anybody else until Spring at this rate!
Old 12-22-2020, 12:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Perhaps even a better idea would have been to scratch the walk through totally for this holiday season? Scratch anything that would serve to draw crowds of any size.
Places need some income and people need some Christmas joy
Old 12-22-2020, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Where are the Cambridge's spending Christmas this year?
Old 12-22-2020, 01:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I wonder if the person who took the pictures reported themself for getting seemingly as close as the two families did to each other. Probably not...some people don't see their own actions just the wrong others do.

TBF I'm a teacher and yesterday walked with a fellow teacher in a park local to us....we saw so many of our children out with their friends all from different households mixing in the park, many over the 6 limit. We were told all summer how it was safer to be outdoors than in and that when outside the risk was minimal. Did they break the rules, yes seemingly so. Did they mean to? No. Do we all from time to time break the rules - I reckon 80% of people have at one point or another even if its forgetting to wear a mask for a quick shop etc. They weren't hosting a houseparty for 20 and the way the rules keep changing all the time I don't blame them not simply walking past each other super quick given it sounds increasingly likely no one will be seeing anybody else until Spring at this rate!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts tommy100 as I do appreciate hearing from others in my profession when it comes to COVID 19.
Old 12-22-2020, 01:49 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Where are the Cambridge's spending Christmas this year?
At Anmer. Apparently the idea was for them and Pippa, James and Arthur to go to the Middletons', but, as Bucklebury (where the Middletons live) is under Tier 4 restrictions, no visitors are allowed.

They could go to Highgrove, but I think Charles and Camilla had already arranged for both Camilla's children to visit, and it's a maximum of three households.
Old 12-22-2020, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
At Anmer. Apparently the idea was for them and Pippa, James and Arthur to go to the Middletons', but, as Bucklebury (where the Middletons live) is under Tier 4 restrictions, no visitors are allowed.

They could go to Highgrove, but I think Charles and Camilla had already arranged for both Camilla's children to visit, and it's a maximum of three households.
Thanks I was thinking it was Anmer Hall but thought that might have changed with the Tier 4 restrictions.
Old 12-22-2020, 02:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
Right, I’m not blaming only the Cambridges and Wessexes.....That’s a good point about children holding it up. One idea might be to have certain times for adults only and then certain times for adults with children. Perhaps split it into days (like, M/W/F/Su for adults with kids). This way, there will be fewer people overall at going through. Also, it might be a good idea to require reservations made on-line - this will automatically reduce the crowds.
Old 12-22-2020, 02:15 PM
Heir Apparent

The royal pastry chefs have shared their recipe and how to video for gingerbread houses. They're asking the public to create and share their edible creations too. Steady, practiced hands create the most delicate decorations with royal icing. (Click on the link to find the recipe.)

https://twitter.com/RoyalFamily/stat...7Ctwgr%5Etweet
Old 12-22-2020, 02:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post

I’m not thrilled with this person (who clearly was wanted to be close enough to get good photos) ratting out their Royals, either. Frankly, that ticks me off. I think the C’s and W’s should have done a better job, but I’m not angry with them or all “how dare they” - I have no doubt they didn’t have bad intentions. That said, I still think this wasn’t organized as well as it could have been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
The royal pastry chefs have shared their recipe and how to video for gingerbread houses. They're asking the public to create and share their edible creations too. Steady, practiced hands create the most delicate decorations with royal icing. (Click on the link to find the recipe.)

https://twitter.com/RoyalFamily/stat...7Ctwgr%5Etweet
How wonderful !!!
Old 12-22-2020, 03:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

I haven't read the background to all this. Why did Edward and Sophie travel 132 miles to Norfolk from a Tier 4 area?
Old 12-22-2020, 03:23 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
I haven't read the background to all this. Why did Edward and Sophie travel 132 miles to Norfolk from a Tier 4 area?
Yes, I did wonder about that myself, especially as Louise and James are beyond the wide eyed wondering at Xmas lights stage. Nor are the Queen and Prince Philip at Sandringham to visit. And once there the Wessexes were given a slot near to the Cambridges who happened to be visiting the display at that particular day and time. A very large coincidence, surely?
Old 12-22-2020, 03:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
How wonderful !!!
The royal chefs have been tempting viewers and expanding waistlines all year long with traditional recipes.

Tags
christmas