The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-25-2019, 02:23 PM
Royal Highness

What year did the Royal Family first start walking to the church on Christmas morning .

Old 12-25-2019, 02:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

I foud HM particularly exhausted during a speech.
logically The Wales and the Cambridges took centre stage.

Old 12-25-2019, 02:30 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
There was a clip of Archie being presented to the Queen and she mentioned that she welcomed a new great-grandson in 2019.
Nice. It makes sense to include a reference to an addition to the family into her yearly most personal speech. And welcoming a newborn amidst all the other issues going on was surely a highlight for the queen.
Old 12-25-2019, 02:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm1939 View Post
What year did the Royal Family first start walking to the church on Christmas morning .
Well HM has only hosted Christmas at Sandringham since the late 80s/early 90s, before then they were at Windsor for Christmas day (I believe the Queen and her immediate family then went to Sandringham as now). Even at Windsor HM led the Royal Family (which then included Kents, Gloucesters and co) to church on Christmas Day, although they arrived and left by car as seen in the video below

I guess the family have probably always walked to church at Sandringham given its so close and HM and her predecessors have mainly always been religious enough to want to attend Church on Christmas Day. I'm not sure at what point it became more officially organised having lots of police, barriers, a queuing system etc.
Old 12-25-2019, 02:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
The Sussexes don’t have a home like Amner. What do you suggest they leave Doria at Frogmore alone and spend the holidays at Sandringham??? Yeah that’s including her in the holidays.

Really Meghan and Autumn are apples and apples. Unlike Zara and Peter whose father is in the UK and the Tindalls, Meghan and Autumns family is on another continent. Doria and Autumns family don’t have year around access to the grandkids like Anne, mark and the Tindalls do.

The reality is that Philip is in the Uk and they can take Archie to see him any time. Doria, and Meghan’s chosen family, don’t have that luxury.

As for Balmoral that isn’t a strike. Balmoral is not an event or invitation. They visit if they choose or not.

Families have to split holidays that’s reality. The Windsor’s got them two years in a row. Why is the queen more entitled to Archie first Christmas then his grandmother is?
I didn't say they should leave Doria, I merely suggested the only other alternative to what they have done would be to split Christmas Day in two, being with Harry's family in the morning and Doria in the afternoon (unless HM would break with her own convention and invite Doria to Sandringham). This is what Camilla does, probably what W&K do (I suspect Kate's familywill be visiting this afternoon or tomorrow) and what most families in the UK do. I also simply pointed out that many people overlook that Zara and Peter come from a split family and potentially have to accommodate three lots of parents (Anne, Mark and then their inlaws). I ended by post saying everyone should do what they like at Christmas and I am happy H&M did just that. I never criticised them for their plans.

Let's not forget even on here it is the season of goodwill and peace to all
Heir Presumptive

Looks like the Queen Mother has banana peels on her hat!

Abraham Lincoln
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Every tabloid and paper I have read stated that Beatrice snd and Edoardo would be spending Christmas apart, and would reunite for the New Year at the Mozzi property on Lamu, Kenya.

And then, hark! There was Edo taking his place at the side of his Royal fiancee at Sandringham...
In almost all the pictures I saw, Beatrice and Edo were in the background smiling at each other. It was cute. I guess Edo is having a great time at his first Sandringham Christmas.

It was nice that they spent the holiday together since Beatrice has had a difficult last few months. She could focus on showing her fiancé the ropes instead of other things, like the media monitoring Andrew presence at Sandringham.
Old 12-25-2019, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I think everyone has said their piece about the Sussexes and their decision to be with Meghan’s family for Christmas. Let’s move on from that topic. Thanks!
Old 12-25-2019, 03:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post

Looks like the Queen Mother has banana peels on her hat!
I did have to do a double take when I first saw the video
Old 12-25-2019, 06:23 PM
Serene Highness

The Cambrige children are dears...but I felt a bit uncomfortable watching some of the video. There were times the kids seemed a bit overwhelmed or stressed--even Charlotte who is usually pretty outgoing from what we have seen. Perhaps its just because its the first time.

I hope everyone had a lovely Christmas!
Old 12-25-2019, 09:04 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
I love to see the various interactions during events like this, speak volumes about the real family dynamics. Today Camilla and Anne comparing theirs coats and joking like "purple sisters" juste made my day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
That was great. They were my favourite looks today.
I loved Anne's ensemble and thought she wore it with style, then HM and Camilla arrived and I loved that Camilla was wearing purple too. Both ladies had the best hats and HM looked terrific in red. Even the dress below was plain red and made her pearls look fabulous. This ensemble combined with her Christmas Message one spoke of a new decade and reminded us that we would/were be watching a family go to church to celebrate the birth of the Christ Child.
Old 12-25-2019, 11:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Picture Clip:
Don’t y’all mess with Charlotte’s flowers-
https://duchessofostergotlands.tumbl...otes-container

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-26-2019, 12:48 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Picture Clip:
Now that made me chuckle, I don’t blame Charlotte for wanting to hold on to them, they were lovely.
Old 12-26-2019, 04:22 AM
Administrator

Posts making overtly religious comments in the hope of inciting a religious debate have been deleted and will continue to be deleted as The Royal Forums is NOT a platform for holding such debates.

Further, if members have an issue about the way in which threads are moderated, please contact one of the Administrators or Moderators by PM rather than in-thread.
Old 12-26-2019, 07:42 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Well HM has only hosted Christmas at Sandringham since the late 80s/early 90s, before then they were at Windsor for Christmas day (I believe the Queen and her immediate family then went to Sandringham as now). Even at Windsor HM led the Royal Family (which then included Kents, Gloucesters and co) to church on Christmas Day, although they arrived and left by car as seen in the video below

I guess the family have probably always walked to church at Sandringham given its so close and HM and her predecessors have mainly always been religious enough to want to attend Church on Christmas Day. I'm not sure at what point it became more officially organised having lots of police, barriers, a queuing system etc.

Thank you For this information and clip Tommy 100
Old 12-26-2019, 08:24 AM
Heir Apparent

The Queen's Christmas Message was the second most watched programme on TV on Christmas Day, beaten only by the Gavin & Stacey Christmas Special.

The next most-watched programme was the Queen's Christmas Broadcast, which was screened on BBC One, ITV and Sky and seen by 7.85 million people.

In recent years, The Queen's annual broadcast has become the most-watched TV show, based on the overnight figures which do not include viewers who watch Christmas specials on catch-up services during the rest of the festive period.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50915905
Old 12-26-2019, 01:09 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Picture Clip:
More details and video on Charlotte’s roses, they were given to her by a 6 yr. old boy :)
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...l-fan-six.html
Old 12-26-2019, 01:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Too sweet for words. I bet that Charlotte will remember those flowers for the rest of her life. Her first flowers from a boy. I wouldn't have wanted to turn them over to someone else either!

The Cambridge children showed at Sandringham yesterday just how they're being raised. The story of George and then Charlotte being comfortable enough to hug a person in a wheelchair shows that they're being raised to be kind and compassionate little people.
Old 12-26-2019, 02:21 PM
Courtier

About Christmas at Sandringham vs Windsor, the BRF website says Sandringham was used for Christmas for decades but when the Queen's children were younger in the 1960s it was mostly at Windsor. Then in 1988, Windsor was being re-wired and it was moved back to Sandringham where it has been ever since. I remember reading somewhere that part of the reason for the move to Windsor had to do with the increase in the size of the family - the Queen, Margaret, the Ogilvies, Kents, Gloucesters were all beginning to have their children and Sandringham just wasn't big enough. It appears that the 1988 re-wiring may have been the start of the extended families not all gathering at one time for Christmas once it moved back to Sandringham.
Old 12-26-2019, 02:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marlboro View Post
About Christmas at Sandringham vs Windsor, the BRF website says Sandringham was used for Christmas for decades but when the Queen's children were younger in the 1960s it was mostly at Windsor. Then in 1988, Windsor was being re-wired and it was moved back to Sandringham where it has been ever since. I remember reading somewhere that part of the reason for the move to Windsor had to do with the increase in the size of the family - the Queen, Margaret, the Ogilvies, Kents, Gloucesters were all beginning to have their children and Sandringham just wasn't big enough. It appears that the 1988 re-wiring may have been the start of the extended families not all gathering at one time for Christmas once it moved back to Sandringham.
I recall reading somewhere that the Queen liked having it at Sandringham rather than Windsor because that way the younger people couldn’t go into
London in the evenings to carouse!

Abraham Lincoln

Tags
christmas