The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-21-2019, 06:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Here's an article that goes more in depth on the initiative, The Royal British Legion’s “Together at Christmas”. The puddings being mixed in the photos will be served next year at Christmas time.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/201...harles-pudding

Old 12-21-2019, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

We’ll get to see footage of the event during the Queen’s Christmas Speech.

Quote:
Royal fans will see more of the preparation of these royal puddings, as footage of the royals baking together was recorded for use in the Queen’s Christmas Broadcast, to air on Christmas Day at 3pm.

Source

Old 12-22-2019, 01:48 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I love those pictures, much better than a formal portrait. But I hope that Peter Pan collars will soon be history on George.
Old 12-22-2019, 01:52 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
They’re up on Social media now they were embargoed until 10pm.

https://twitter.com/royalfamily/stat...390172673?s=21

I really don’t like them.
Yep - it kind of reeks of a PR campaign that is kicking off. I just don't like people using children in PR campaigns - celebrities, politicians and royals alike.
Old 12-22-2019, 02:32 AM
Heir Apparent

I guess the logistics of getting all 4 together at Christmas time would have been nigh on impossible. Given the party which was to follow the phot shoot, limited time would have prevented change of clothes plus I think if some of the Royals had donned aprons or rolled up their sleeves it might have looked even more ridiculous in the environment of Buckingham Palace with the Queen dressed ready for the party. So, faced with this situation I think they did well. I would concede it might have been suggested to HM she lose the handbag - but that would have to have been one brave photographer.
I do love these four generations photos which will be pored over by generations to come.
Old 12-22-2019, 03:37 AM
Royal Highness

The pictures were for charity George being in them makes sense, as his life will be dedicated to charity when he get older. He might as well learn now. I do think the Queen
should have put the bag down , I have never understood why she totes a purse in he own house.
Old 12-22-2019, 04:48 AM
Serene Highness

George was the only one mixing the pudding, so I agree to have them all in aprons would have looked ridiculous plus would have lost the majesty of the photograph.

The queen was not going to put an apron on and mix the pudding, she observes, does not take part.

It is a charity event for the Royal British Legion but lets not forget the other story, the four generations of the throne. Nobody knows what will happen in the future but how many families have photographs of four generations. Rather than nit picking the photograph we should look at it's historical nature.

Also The Queen isn't the Queen without her handbag.
Old 12-22-2019, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The queen and 2 future monarchs mixing a pudding at Christmas there's a Christmas Card I'd like to see
Old 12-22-2019, 05:44 AM
Heir Apparent

I think it might be as simple as she probably has handkerchief in her handbag, she might not have pockets in her outfits

I think the photo's with 4 generations of monarchs are lovely, what a privilige to be able to have those...
Old 12-22-2019, 05:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Royal British Legion is one of the patronages that The Queen does support annually with the Festival of Remembrance. I have been trying to find out if their patron has always been the monarch but I can't get the information I am looking for but the royals have always been closely linked to this charity. I can see Charles taking this over and in time it passing to William and George and ...

The monarch and the next three kings is also a sign of the continuity of the monarchy and supporting a cause normally regarded as important in the life of the British nation although some of the comments on the DM and elsewhere are scathing of them doing this as purely PR. In the past it would have been seen as 'promoting a cause' but now every time the royals do anything it is for their personal PR it seems (according to some).
Old 12-22-2019, 06:06 AM
Royal Highness

Royal Family help launch new community initiative
https://www.britishlegion.org.uk/sto...e-royal-family
Old 12-22-2019, 08:16 AM
Imperial Majesty

Earl of Wessex with his famiy join the Queen Elizabeth today as attend a church service at St Mary Magdalene Church in Sandringham, Norfolk

https://www.paimages.co.uk/headline/1408861

Article

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ndringham.html

Queen Elizabeth records her annual Christmas broadcast in Windsor Castle, Berkshire

https://2.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:...f12&m=kabfcakh
Old 12-22-2019, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post

I think the photo's with 4 generations of monarchs are lovely, what a privilige to be able to have those...
It doesn't get more British or Festive than the queen and Christmas Pudding at Christmas.
Old 12-22-2019, 10:01 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The Royal British Legion is one of the patronages that The Queen does support annually with the Festival of Remembrance. I have been trying to find out if their patron has always been the monarch but I can't get the information I am looking for but the royals have always been closely linked to this charity. I can see Charles taking this over and in time it passing to William and George and ...

The monarch and the next three kings is also a sign of the continuity of the monarchy and supporting a cause normally regarded as important in the life of the British nation although some of the comments on the DM and elsewhere are scathing of them doing this as purely PR. In the past it would have been seen as 'promoting a cause' but now every time the royals do anything it is for their personal PR it seems (according to some).
The Prince of Wales became the Legion's first patron in 1921. George VI became patron after the abdication.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...6AEwD3oECAcQAQ
Old 12-22-2019, 10:16 AM
Majesty

Glad I wasn't the only one noticing the queen's handbag. She clearly did not intend at all to participate. Her role was just to see the younger generation do (a tiny little bit of) the work.

Nonetheless, it's really nice to get new 4-generation pictures!
Old 12-22-2019, 10:50 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Glad I wasn't the only one noticing the queen's handbag. She clearly did not intend at all to participate. Her role was just to see the younger generation do (a tiny little bit of) the work.
Agree. They all didn't intend to cook. It's like tree planting ceremonies. They were there to symbolically launch this "Christmas puddings" program.
Old 12-22-2019, 10:54 AM
Courtier

While it is great to see a 4 generation picture with more life to it than the last one, though I think that one was for a stamp, I lean towards the PR stunt idea. This is mainly for the reasons already mentioned - Charles and William in a suit and tie, George in his 1950s recreation balcony costume and the biggest tell is that they are "cooking" in the Music Room instead of a kitchen. I think think aprons would have been appropriate for William, Charles and George because after all, you have a six year old doing the mixing and accidents can happen. While this was done for a very good cause, I still think the manner in which it was done was not the best.
Old 12-22-2019, 11:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Most likely they were trying to fit it in within a short time frame (i.e. needs to be done before HM left for Sandringham), the only day to get the family all together was the day the Queen hosts lunch for them all, thus the kitchens were probably too busy to be used. It was really just a symbolic moment to advertise the charity / campaign so I'm not too fussed at the formal wear and lack of kitchen but would love to be a fly on the wall if they want to recreate this again in the kitchens of Sandringham or Anmer over the festive break
Old 12-22-2019, 11:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Most likely they were trying to fit it in within a short time frame (i.e. needs to be done before HM left for Sandringham), the only day to get the family all together was the day the Queen hosts lunch for them all, thus the kitchens were probably too busy to be used. It was really just a symbolic moment to advertise the charity / campaign so I'm not too fussed at the formal wear and lack of kitchen but would love to be a fly on the wall if they want to recreate this again in the kitchens of Sandringham or Anmer over the festive break
I agree with you. I've read that the family Christmas lunch is a full on affair ie a 3-4 course meal with turkey and all the trimmings for potentially between 60-70 people (children included). That is a lot of food so I can imagine the BP chefs would have flipped if the royals had tried to do that shoot in the kitchens
Old 12-22-2019, 11:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
Agree. They all didn't intend to cook. It's like tree planting ceremonies. They were there to symbolically launch this "Christmas puddings" program.
I thought the Queen and her three successors to the crown which also happens to be her family truly represented the theme of the initiative of "Together at Christmas". The program aims to reach out to those that serve and have served to ensure that Christmas is enjoyed by "family". What better photo for this then four monarchs (count 'em) who will most likely continue into the future to support this endeavor just as it started with the Prince of Wales being patron back in 1921.

Its not only a photo of continuity in the monarchy (all four of them in a photo truly is historic) but also seems, at least to me, to pledge continuity of support for this wonderful initiative.

Its fitting for me to see the Queen with her handbag. Its part of her iconic presence over the years. She not only carries what she needs in it (including a hook to hang it from a table she's sitting at) but also uses it to "signal" certain things. BP is a big place and she carries stuff with her rather than needing to go back to her apartment for a tissue or send someone to go fetch.

Tags
christmas