The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-14-2019, 06:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Royal photographer Arthur Edwards verdict on the Sussex Christmas photo:

“I HATE black and white Christmas cards. You can’t even tell they are watching fireworks. They remind me of war photos of a bombing.

“I don’t like they have their backs to camera. Nice try at doing something different but they are trying to be too clever and arty.”

Royal photographer Arthur Edwards verdict on Charles and Camilla’s Christmas card:

“A LOVELY card. Prince Charles wants to show how dearly he loves his wife and wants people to see that she will be by his side when he is monarch.

“There is a formality to this but it still manages to be very personal.”
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EG21pXNX4AIWtW2.jpg
When I saw this picture on Kensington Palace IG from the DDoS 2019 Pakistani Tour, it reminded me of DDoS Christmas 2018 picture and how much criticism was leveled against "their backs to the camera" photo.

Old 10-14-2019, 08:05 PM
Majesty

Do you think that both Princess Beatrice of York and Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi will come to Sandringham?

Old 11-13-2019, 01:46 AM
Nobility

Harry and Meghan 'will not be spending Christmas at Sandringham'
https://mol.im/a/7679223
Old 11-13-2019, 02:04 AM
Commoner

Gosh! How shocking! Noone else in the family has EVER done this...
Old 11-13-2019, 03:32 AM
Royal Highness

Didn't William and Kate do it one Christmas ?
Old 11-13-2019, 04:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalriada View Post

Harry and Meghan 'will not be spending Christmas at Sandringham'
https://mol.im/a/7679223
via
> It really is up to H&M to decide where they decide to spend Christmas, its hardly the end of the world.

> W&C have spent Christmas in Berkshire with the Middleton's on several occasions, and the Philips and Tindall families are also not always there.

> Personally, I would think it odd if they chose to spend it at FC. If they are away, that is a different matter.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
My own thinking is that when it comes to holidays and family gatherings, with the Queen and Philip being in their 90s, their family has grown immensely down through great grandchildren even. If anyone realizes that as kids and grandkids get older and marry and have families of their own, they're also gaining their own extended families in the process.

I don't see the family gatherings at Balmoral or Sandringham as being a "command appearance" nor a snub to the Queen if someone should decline to attend because of other plans or preferences for their own holiday. Its also private downtime for the members of the royal family and none of the public's concern with how they spend it.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:17 AM
Imperial Majesty

In the past few days reporters have said the Sussexes are spending Christmas in L.A., Sandringham and also Africa. They don't know. Why ppl are acting like it's some breech of protocol (to not be at Sandringham) is beyond me....as already pointed out, it's been done before by other royals.

LaRae
Old 11-13-2019, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

If it's true--which is always a very big "if"--it's an interesting data point. Is it significant? Who knows? It might mean nothing more than, like a lot of families, the Sussexes will alternate where they spend the holidays between his family and her family. What will be interesting, and potentially more meaningful, will be if the Sussexes don't show up for Christmas at Sandringham next year, and don't visit Balmoral this next summer. Then there's a distinct pattern. Until then, all there is is piles of speculation and no facts.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:50 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
In the past few days reporters have said the Sussexes are spending Christmas in L.A., Sandringham and also Africa. They don't know. Why ppl are acting like it's some breech of protocol (to not be at Sandringham) is beyond me....as already pointed out, it's been done before by other royals.

LaRae
The reporters want to gin another Sussex "scandal". Play off the interview, the Sussex vs Cambridge "feud", speculation they are leaving the the BRF you name it. A non Sandrngham Christmas may have been the works all the long for all we know. I hope the have a lovely Christmas and they may spend it with Doria- and meet the Raglands possibly. The Markles will throw a paid interview fit but expected if that happened
Old 11-13-2019, 08:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
If it's true--which is always a very big "if"--it's an interesting data point. Is it significant? Who knows? It might mean nothing more than, like a lot of families, the Sussexes will alternate where they spend the holidays between his family and her family. What will be interesting, and potentially more meaningful, will be if the Sussexes don't show up for Christmas at Sandringham next year, and don't visit Balmoral this next summer. Then there's a distinct pattern. Until then, all there is is piles of speculation and no facts.
You may have a point there, lets see how things develop over the next year or so.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:51 AM
Nobility

As for Christmas....Meghan has already spent two away from her mother for the royals. She, Archie & Harry should be able to spend time with her family as well if they chose to do so.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:17 AM
Courtier

William and Kate have been alternating Christmases between the Royal family and the Middletons on several occasions.
Meghan has spent two consecutive Christmases away from her mother, and so spending Christmas this time with her mother would be good; if it's true.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:35 AM
Majesty

[...]

As to the Sussex Christmas arrangements, I am sure it will all come out later. I find myself quite happy to wait and not be jerked around by the fertile imagination of media outlets with dubious track records supposedly supplied by the ubiquitous 'unnamed inside source's.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:53 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
Excellent points. Most of the BRF have, at one time or another, spent Christmas away from Sandringham. It really shouldn't be that big a deal if the Sussexes choose not to be there this year. However, this decision if true, plays right into the string of ill-judged comments and actions and poor optics. It shouldn't be a big deal at all if they choose to spend Christmas with her mother in the States but it's very true that optics matter and in this particular case the Sussexes have had some pretty bad optics happening for quite some time. It might behoove them to take that sort of thing into consideration. I think the idea of them spending Thanksgiving in the States is lovely and very, very appropriate. And it really wouldn't be surprising if they choose to spend Christmas away from Sandringham. But I, for one, am very curious about whether or not they'll be at the Queen's Christmas luncheon for the family. This particular event is always of interest to me and I'm curious to see if they show up or not and if not, what kind of speculation will quickly make the rounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Do you think that both Princess Beatrice of York and Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi will come to Sandringham?
To be honest, I doubt it. Not this year. I think next year we'll see them both there but for now they're not yet married and I suspect Edo might be spending at least part of Christmas with his son. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Beatrice (and Edo after their marriage) adopt a practice of spending Christmas morning at Sandringham and leaving soon after services for London. Unless, of course, Edo and his son's mother work out an arrangement to allow his son to be at Sandringham with them some years.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
I would be surprised if Edo were to be invited to Sandringham before he and Beatrice were married. I think an exception was made for Meghan as she did not have much family that she was in regular contact with, other than her mother.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:16 PM
Nobility

It's official the Sussexes are spending time with Meghan's mother this Christmas, so happy for the family that they to get to enjoy some quiet more relaxed holiday time with each other. Doria finally (after 2 years) gets to spend holiday time with her only daughter (grandchild & SIL).

The message did say this was with the Queen's approval and in alignment with what others in the Royal have done...so no broken protocol stories.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:03 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

British Royal Christmas 2008-2019

A spokesperson for The Duke and Duchess of Sussex confirms they won’t be at Sandringham.

https://twitter.com/byqueenvic/statu...192671233?s=21
Old 11-13-2019, 02:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
A spokesperson for The Duke and Duchess of Sussex confirms they won’t be at Sandringham.

Interesting they feel the need to say that these plans are in line with the precedent set by other members of the royal family.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post

It will be strange not to see them at Sandringham this year but not totally unexpected.

Tags
christmas