British Royal Christmas 1: 2008-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Wessex's are there already, I suspect others will have arrived tonight and tomorrow before Charles arrives Christmas Eve.

Love the photo of the four generations together. HM, Charles and William looked so proud of George here!

As we know the queen is very good on signals, the original photograph with her and the three heirs with the Royal british legion IMHO is to signify the continuing support of that organisation by the royal family. Like the photograph taken for the stamps that were then released because they were so endearing, I wonder if the additional photographs of the pudding mixing is the same situation. If it is true the film is to be included in the queens speech is it possible these stills were issued as an unplanned extra. I only say that as it is an historical photograph.
Just another view on the scenario. To be honest they can never win. According to the posters , Anything they issue is either too staged or too formal or all for PR or to distract from something else.
Why don't we just take it for what it is , a great grandmother with three generations of her family who all happen to be royal.

I am also thinking of the birthday photograph when Mia lifted the handbag, they could have re done that but it was a natural situation.
Merry Christmas fellow posters,

The Wessex's are there already, I suspect others will have arrived tonight and tomorrow before Charles arrives Christmas Eve.

Generally speaking everyone arrives on Christmas Eve but I've noticed over the years that the Wessex's tend to arrive a few days earlier than the rest.

Generally speaking everyone arrives on Christmas Eve but I've noticed over the years that the Wessex's tend to arrive a few days earlier than the rest.

Likewise Anne always seems to stay on as well after Christmas. I’m sure the Queen will be quite glad to have some quieter festive time with her family.

Likewise Anne always seems to stay on as well after Christmas. I’m sure the Queen will be quite glad to have some quieter festive time with her family.

So do Edward and Sophie, they always seem to be first to arrive and last to leave.

What I found even more touching than the Cambridge picture is the one of the Queen's father, George VI, taken (I'm presuming) during one of his own Christmas messages.

There is a strong message of continuity of the monarchy in the photos the Queen has on display for this year's message. The fact that there is a picture of Philip, although not in the line of succession, shows the Queen's appreciation of how much Philip has been instrumental in assuring that the monarchy does go forward.

As always, my opinion. I could be wrong. :D

What I found even more touching than the Cambridge picture is the one of the Queen's father, George VI, taken (I'm presuming) during one of his own Christmas messages.

There is a strong message of continuity of the monarchy in the photos the Queen has on display for this year's message. The fact that there is a picture of Philip, although not in the line of succession, shows the Queen's appreciation of how much Philip has been instrumental in assuring that the monarchy does go forward.

As always, my opinion. I could be wrong. :D

I agree, that is clearly the message this year, and I suspect it has to do with some of the drama that has been attached to the BRF in the last 12 months. It's a reminder that the core of the monarchy is secure, and that stable continuity is assured, from father to daughter, from mother to son, from father to son, etc. No need to question if the monarchy is still "fit for purpose."

I also think it's a notice about intention: nothing that destabilizes or sheds a negative light on the institution and the family will be tolerated going forward.

I like the setting for this year’s broadcast.It looks cosy despite the opulence.

Has Queen Elizabeth II ever had a tree that the little children can decorate with handmade decorations and ornaments?
:merryxmas::merryxmas::merryxmas:

Odd perspective, and not especially flattering.

Last edited:
The photo brings back memories for me. My youngest would always go zooming towards the camera and try to pull the picture out (it was a Polaroid).

Very unique and simple card and I like it. ?

He doesn't look like a ginger. It appears those claims have been greatly exaggerated. I'm not sure black-and-white photos scream holiday cheer. But this couple seems to be partial to black-and-white.

He doesn't look like a ginger. It appears those claims have been greatly exaggerated. I'm not sure black-and-white photos scream holiday cheer. But this couple seems to be partial to black-and-white.

Red hair is not identifiable in B&W photography.
Archie’s hair seemed reddish in the photos visiting Archbishop Tutu.

I personally love the pic! Its a different one for BRF cards and is focused on their joy: Archie.

Very sweet.

Now, that’s a beautiful Christmas card from the Sussexes. That Archie is quite a character.

A very sweet photo, although I'd have loved to have seen it in color. Archie is at a wonderful age, what fun!

Cute picture from the Sussexes. Archie so big. It was taken by Meghan’s close friend Janina Gavankar. I would guess all the close pals gathered together. It seems many of them were traveling around the same tine and went radio silent. Now back to celebrate with their own families.

Also nice selection from the Queen for the telegraph. Very direct message about the future of the monarchy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50895486

The Queen will acknowledge the "bumpy" path the nation has taken over the past year in her Christmas Day message.

She will say the path is never "smooth" but "small steps" can heal divisions.

It comes after a year of intense political debate over Brexit, as well as a number of personal events affecting the Royal Family.

Last month, the Duke of York withdrew from public life after a BBC interview about his ties to sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, who killed himself in August.

Meanwhile in January, the Duke of Edinburgh was involved in a car crash while driving near the Queen's Sandringham estate in Norfolk. He escaped uninjured, but two women required hospital treatment.

Prince Philip, 98, is spending a fourth night in a London hospital after being admitted last Friday in relation to a "pre-existing condition".

In September, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex publicly revealed their struggles under the media spotlight during their tour of southern Africa.

Referring to the life of Jesus and the importance of reconciliation, the Queen, 93, said "small steps taken in faith and in hope can overcome long-held differences and deep-seated divisions to bring harmony and understanding."

"The path, of course, is not always smooth, and may at times this year have felt quite bumpy, but small steps can make a world of difference."

The broadcast was produced by the BBC and recorded in the green drawing room of Windsor Castle after the general election, but before Prince Philip was admitted to hospital.

The Queen wore a royal blue cashmere dress by Angela Kelly, and the sapphire and diamond Prince Albert brooch, a present from Albert to Queen Victoria on the eve of their wedding in 1840.

She is filmed sitting at a desk featuring photographs of her family, including one of the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall, and a black-and-white image of the Queen's father, King George VI.

There is also a photograph of of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and their children - Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis - perched on and around a motorbike and sidecar - an image used for the couple's Christmas card.

Analysis: A coded message? (by Nicholas Witchell BBC Royal Correspondent)
It has been a year which, at times, may have felt "quite bumpy", so the Queen will say in her Christmas broadcast.

It is a choice of words which will inevitably prompt speculation about what it is that she's referring to.

She does not offer any clarification herself, though the remark is made in the context of overcoming what she calls "long-held differences" and how "small steps taken in faith and in hope can overcome deep-seated divisions".

The obvious interpretation is that this is the Queen's - as ever - coded message to the country to try to move on from the divisions of the Brexit debate, but the reference to a "bumpy" year may also be taken to refer to events within her own family after a year which has seen the Duke of Edinburgh's car accident, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex complaining about the difficulties of being in the public eye and the controversies around Prince Andrew.

The Queen will be hoping that for Christmas she will at least be reunited with her husband, and his family will be hoping he's well enough today to join them at Sandringham.

He was definately a ginger last time he was seen in public (Africa)

LaRae

It is a black & white photo so of course we cannot tell if Archie is a ginger or not - from this same photo IMO Prince Harry doesn't look ginger to me either, but I know he is because I know.

Last edited:
What a great card. Fun.

Has Queen Elizabeth II ever had a tree that the little children can decorate with handmade decorations and ornaments?
:merryxmas::merryxmas::merryxmas:

The Queen's nursery Christmas tree was done as such - in the 60's. They used to make paper chains and the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom