British Royal Christmas 1: 2008-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
British Royal Christmas 2008-2020

[.....]

I frankly don’t find what [.....] the Cambridges/Wessexes did particularly notable. Or worth getting upset about.

For the C/W, they were outside, they looked pretty far apart to me, and I believe them when they say it wasn’t planned. I don’t expect people to ignore each other. From what I heard about this event it would be hard for anyone to be perfect regardless of intentions, especially with kids involved and people walking at different speeds. If you want perfection- make it drive- thru. Or cancel it. Otherwise, these things can and will happen.

[.....]
What I consider a good deal more egregious are people traveling when they’re not supposed to/have told people not to or having large group gatherings (indoors in particular). Especially if you set the rules. Or are loudly telling people to follow them. Things that don’t look like a little mistake that can happen to anyone so much as deciding the rules aren’t applicable to you.

[.....]

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted this earlier, but it got lost in the argument.

Well, this was last year, but it’s kind of about this year...and it’s such a wonderful thing...

https://etcanada.com/news/727730/the...-ready-to-eat/

Aww thank you for sharing. The Christmas pudding video was so cute especially when George was enthusiastically stirring the pudding and his great-grandmother was trying to stay out of the splash zone.:lol: I was unaware that the puddings would be aged for a year and then distributed around the world. Congratulations to Ethel on her 100th birthday!

Last edited:
A number of off topic and/or bickering posts have been deleted. They added nothing to the discussion, and are unpleasant for the majority of forum members to wade through. Any further posts along those lines will be deleted without notice.

It's time to move on.

:sad: Unfortunately for those who had reserved times after Christmas Eve, they won't be able to view the display. Even though public and heritage gardens are allowed to be open in Tier 4, the display will be closing. Norfolk will be moving into Tier 4 restrictions starting at midnight on Christmas.

The Luminate site had this message on their page.
Following the latest update by the Government and with Norfolk moving into Tier 4 from Midnight on Christmas Day, it is with deep regret that we have to announce that Luminate Sandringham will not proceed after our final night on Christmas Eve. (Christmas Eve will take place as planned).
We have consulted with all of our stakeholders partners and feel that, whilst public gardens and outdoor heritage sites can remain open within Tier 4, it is not in the spirit of what is trying to be achieved throughout the Country for Luminate Sandringham to remain open. We are incredibly disappointed that we are not able to complete our run at Luminate Sandringham.
https://luminate.live/sandringham-estate

I believe that this might be the first time that Queen Elizabeth, Charles, Anne, Andrew, and Edward will be celebrating Christmas in the manner that their spouses have done so for many years before marrying into the BRF. This year they can stay in their casual clothes, indulge in endless puzzles, games of Monopoly or Mario Kart, and have the cozy holiday that so many in the UK enjoy year after year.

Last edited:
Royal Christmas Card send from and signed by the then Duke and Duchess of York (future George VI and Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother). Three year old Princess Elizabeth (now Elizabeth II) was also in the picture, standing between the future King and Queen.

Last week, The Prince of Wales thanked to postal workers, as they delivered (potentially) the "biggest festive mailbag" in Royal Mail history.

The Royal Family @RoyalFamily
This Royal Christmas card from the #RoyalArchives dates from 1929 and shows The Duke and Duchess of York (the future King George VI and Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother) and their three-year-old daughter, Princess Elizabeth of York (now The Queen).
4:01 AM · Dec 24, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Replying to @RoyalFamily
[Postbox] Last week The Prince of Wales @ClarenceHouse paid thanks to the country’s postal workers, as they worked hard to deliver what is likely to be the biggest festive mailbag in @RoyalMail’s 504 year history.

Aww thank you for sharing. The Christmas pudding video was so cute especially when George was enthusiastically stirring the pudding and his great-grandmother was trying to stay out of the splash zone.:lol: I was unaware that the puddings would be aged for a year and then distributed around the world. Congratulations to Ethel on her 100th birthday!

You’re welcome ! I adored that video - it was a wonderful family scene !

:sad: Unfortunately for those who had reserved times after Christmas Eve, they won't be able to view the display. Even though public and heritage gardens are allowed to be open in Tier 4, the display will be closing. Norfolk will be moving into Tier 4 restrictions starting at midnight on Christmas.

The Luminate site had this message on their page.
https://luminate.live/sandringham-estate

I believe that this might be the first time that Queen Elizabeth, Charles, Anne, Andrew, and Edward will be celebrating Christmas in the manner that their spouses have done so for many years before marrying into the BRF. This year they can stay in their casual clothes, indulge in endless puzzles, games of Monopoly or Mario Kart, and have the cozy holiday that so many in the UK enjoy year after year.

Then they can all read each other later about their ugly sweaters and pajamas, lol

What a beautiful photo of the Yorks...and what a lovely gesture by Charles to a group of people who are working incredibly hard to deliver Christmas to so many...

Last edited by a moderator:
Royal Christmas Card send from and signed by the then Duke and Duchess of York (future George VI and Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother). Three year old Princess Elizabeth (now Elizabeth II) was also in the picture, standing between the future King and Queen.

Last week, The Prince of Wales thanked to postal workers, as they delivered (potentially) the "biggest festive mailbag" in Royal Mail history.

This Royal Christmas card from the #RoyalArchives dates from 1929 and shows The Duke and Duchess of York (the future King George VI and Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother) and their three-year-old daughter, Princess Elizabeth of York (now The Queen).

Replying to @RoyalFamily
[Postbox] Last week The Prince of Wales @ClarenceHouse paid thanks to the country’s postal workers, as they worked hard to deliver what is likely to be the biggest festive mailbag in @RoyalMail’s 504 year history.

What a charming photo of the Yorks with their darling daughter.

Not surprised that Charles is honoring the nation's hardworking postal workers.

Also the PoW and Duchess of Cornwall will be participating in a reading of "Twas the Night Before Christmas."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...oin-host-list-stars-read-night-Christmas.html

Last edited:
Not sure if this should be on Charles/Camilla thread or here, but its Christmas so I put it here.

The couple were involved in a recording of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas' for the Actors Benevolent fund. It will be on their social media account tomorrow in full.

The information from majesty

THE PRINCE OF WALES AND THE DUCHESS OF CORNWALL RECORD READING OF 'TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS
The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall have recorded a very special reading of the poem ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas. After an approach by the Actors’ Benevolent Fund, and hearing first-hand about the difficulties the theatre and film industries have faced this year, the Prince conceived the idea of an ensemble reading.
The Prince and the Duchess recorded the poem at their London home, Clarence House, and extended an invitation for a small number of actors to come to the residence to record the poem individually and in accordance with COVID-19 regulations over the past couple of weeks.
The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall were joined in the recording of ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas by:
Dame Judi Dench
Dame Maggie Smith
Daniel Craig
Ncuti Gatwa
Joanna Lumley OBE
Tom Hardy CBE
Dame Penelope Keith (President of the Actors Benevolent Fund)
Actor’s Benevolent Fund
The ABF has received more applications for help in 2020 than ever before. And, prior to the pandemic the largest group of beneficiaries that the ABF supported were over retirement age, but in the last year the majority is now the 18-49 age group.
In April the ABF launched an Emergency Grant Fund to support actors, actresses and stage managers experiencing immediate financial hardship owning to coronavirus. The grants have helped people with things like rent arrears, urgent bill payments, and also the costs of everyday essentials - particularly where people are living in areas that Universal Credit does not meet someone’s full financial needs (e.g. renters living in big cities).
In addition to its Emergency Grant Fund, the ABF continues to support people who are ill or injured. This type of support is based on the needs of the individual, with the aim of helping people maintain their independence - we’ve made grants for mobility aids, mental health support, and help with household bills in recent weeks.
The full version of the film will be available on Clarence House social media channels from 1000 GMT tomorrow, 24th December.

https://www.facebook.com/majestymagazine/photos/pcb.3941195139246460/3941188415913799/

A little out take on their social media

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJJ47v8DvPD/

I just watched the Queen's Christmas message (shown in Oz at 7.25 p.m. on Christmas Day).

She mentioned the ways we have risen to the challenges of the year. That was clearly the focus of the entire speech.

The photo on her desk was one of Philip.

I didn't see any other pictures of her family but lots of pictures of ordinary Brits celebrated their different religious traditions in 2020.

She included video of some of the work her family did in support of the NHS, nurses etc - Charles, Camilla, William, Catherine, Edward, Sophie. I didn't see any others but may have missed them.

She again honoured the Unknown Warrior - including images of her visit to WA to honour him.

She also included the video of her knighting Sir Tom Moore. Anne was shown as part of the gathering for the Carol Concert held at Windsor a week or so ago.

No mention of any family by name at all.

No mention of Brexit despite reports that she was delaying filming the message to comment on that issue ... but as the deal wasn't agreed until Christmas Eve that probably isn't a surprise.

Last edited:
:previous:
Thank you for the summary of the Queen's Christmas Message, Iluvbertie!!! :flowers:

I was thinking of watching it, but I missed it due to family dinner. I saw a post on instagram released by the Royal Family account. It has a video recording of the St George’s Chapel singing ‘We wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year’

@theroyalfamily Verified
? ? Wishing all our followers a very Merry Christmas!
? St George’s Chapel choir sing ‘We wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year’.
The Chapel, situated in the grounds of Windsor Castle, has a unique Royal history. Follow our link in bio to find out more.
This footage was filmed before the most recent Covid restrictions were in place, and Government guidelines were followed at all times.
6m​
https://www.instagram.com/p/CJNv8EHnI7Y/

Last edited:
Thank you for the summary, Bertie ! I’m sure the message was beautifully spoken and much needed...

I'm doing the traditional thing and watching it at 3pm :) . It's strange not having all the Christmas morning pictures of the Royals going to church.

In Oz if someone watches it, it will be at the end of the ABC news, at 7.25 p.m. Some families I know use it as the sign that it is time for the kids to go to bed (my sister-in-law and her siblings have always used that as the 'end of Christmas Day' for the kids ... that way none of them watch it). When my nieces were little I always missed it to help put them to bed ... they loved their aunt reading them a bedtime story.

In Oz if someone watches it, it will be at the end of the ABC news, at 7.25 p.m. Some families I know use it as the sign that it is time for the kids to go to bed (my sister-in-law and her siblings have always used that as the 'end of Christmas Day' for the kids ... that way none of them watch it). When my nieces were little I always missed it to help put them to bed ... they loved their aunt reading them a bedtime story.

Dang, I missed the time slot!! :lol:

I will just wait until some broadcast upload it on Youtube. It's not iview either

Recorded earlier this month but released yesterday The Choir of St George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle

It was good, as usual.

I liked the use of the Hold Still pictures sprinkled in and the zoom calls the family made all year.

As always I like when HM is able to a certain extent to share her ideas on faith and that she mentioned other faiths and communities being apart this year for their celebrations and Diwali fireworks also being a light of hope in the darkness.

A reminder that the Unknown Warrior is unknown and unexceptional for a reason and he represents everyone.

Enjoyed Joy to the World by the NHS Choir. Bit surreal for them in their scrubs at Windsor or wherever they filmed it I imagine.

Who's cutting onions?[emoji22]
That was such a beautiful message, I teared up. I actually listened to it 2x. I tried the Amazon Alexa feature. How cool was that?!?!

The message was beautiful, inspiring, and very focused on the hard work that people of the Commonwealth and the UK . I loved the analogy of the kindness of people- strangers even during these and the account of the Good Samaritan in the Bible. That's when the tears started flowing.

Imo, it was her best speech ever!

We don’t usually watch but it did seem a very relevant speech. I think the Queen is hampered by subjects that can be very political so she ends up being oblique as she can’t express her opinion. Whereas covid is such a universal terrible issue, she can really express her sincere feelings as she is being affected too and expressed that everyone just wants to hug again!

I’m going to watch the speech later, but I did see a clip - and what I can say is that HM is always so comforting, even to those of us who live across the ocean.

I just watched the Queen's Christmas message (shown in Oz at 7.25 p.m. on Christmas Day).

She mentioned the ways we have risen to the challenges of the year. That was clearly the focus of the entire speech.

The photo on her desk was one of Philip.

I didn't see any other pictures of her family but lots of pictures of ordinary Brits celebrated their different religious traditions in 2020.

She included video of some of the work her family did in support of the NHS, nurses etc - Charles, Camilla, William, Catherine, Edward, Sophie. I didn't see any others but may have missed them.

She again honoured the Unknown Warrior - including images of her visit to WA to honour him.

She also included the video of her knighting Sir Tom Moore. Anne was shown as part of the gathering for the Carol Concert held at Windsor a week or so ago.

No mention of any family by name at all.

No mention of Brexit despite reports that she was delaying filming the message to comment on that issue ... but as the deal wasn't agreed until Christmas Eve that probably isn't a surprise.

Anne was also in the second video call shown at 1.58 (together with the queen).

What a beautiful Christmas message from the heart. It really was excellently put together and encompassed thoughts that everyone near and far could identify with.

I loved how HM brought in the subject of the Christmas star. It made me think it pertinent that it was this year, 2020, when the same "star" appeared in our skies after 800 some years. We needed it this year. ?

I enjoy the videos of the videocalls. To see The Queen giggling is such a pleasure. She has such a cute smile! I would love to hear her giggling. Must be an amazing experience!

The Queen usually has photos of all her family around her, doesn’t she? So the fact that she only had a photo of Philip - I take it then thats almost to represent how she and everyone else are separated from most of their loved ones? If so, how poignant...

Very moving speech by The Queen, not just on the meaning of Christmas, but also thanking the frontline workers throughout the pandemic. I also like how the video included pictures/video of Hold Still, charities and hospital workers and royal engagements (physical and virtual)

Princess Eugenie has posted on Instagram on how The Queen's message means to the world and shared some moments that touched her.
@princesseugenie Verified
Your Majesty, Granny, your words meant so much today and at the end of a year that has tested the world in so many ways. ⁣
Some moments that touched me: ⁣
"In the United Kingdom and around the world, people have risen magnificently to the challenges of the year, and I am so proud and moved by this quiet, indomitable spirit"⁣
"Of course for many, this time of year will be tinged with sadness - some mourning the loss of those dear to them and others missing friends and family members distanced for safety, when all they really want for Christmas is a simple hug or a squeeze of the hand"⁣
"If you are among them, you are not alone, and let me assure you of my thoughts and prayers"⁣
⁣"We continue to be inspired by the kindness of strangers and draw comfort that even on the darkest nights there is hope in the new dawn"⁣
Thank you for inspiring and leading us as always ⁣
Happy Christmas everyone ??⁣
2h​
https://www.instagram.com/p/CJOz5VBFO07/

Last edited:
The Queen usually has photos of all her family around her, doesn’t she? So the fact that she only had a photo of Philip - I take it then thats almost to represent how she and everyone else are separated from most of their loved ones? If so, how poignant...

I believe that it varies from year to year but I agree that it may because she and Phillip are separated from the rest of their family like so many across the nation and the globe.

A lovely speech this year that paid homage to those on the frontline and acknowledging the losses that so many of us are feeling in 2020.

I believe that it varies from year to year but I agree that it may because she and Phillip are separated from the rest of their family like so many across the nation and the globe.

A lovely speech this year that paid homage to those on the frontline and acknowledging the losses that so many of us are feeling in 2020.

HM always seems to know what to say...it always comes straight from the heart, no pretense at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom