A.W. TOZER
Old 12-26-2019, 12:48 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Picture Clip:
Don’t y’all mess with Charlotte’s flowers-
https://duchessofostergotlands.tumbl...otes-container
Now that made me chuckle, I don’t blame Charlotte for wanting to hold on to them, they were lovely.

Old 12-26-2019, 04:22 AM
Administrator

Posts making overtly religious comments in the hope of inciting a religious debate have been deleted and will continue to be deleted as The Royal Forums is NOT a platform for holding such debates.

Further, if members have an issue about the way in which threads are moderated, please contact one of the Administrators or Moderators by PM rather than in-thread.
Old 12-26-2019, 07:42 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Well HM has only hosted Christmas at Sandringham since the late 80s/early 90s, before then they were at Windsor for Christmas day (I believe the Queen and her immediate family then went to Sandringham as now). Even at Windsor HM led the Royal Family (which then included Kents, Gloucesters and co) to church on Christmas Day, although they arrived and left by car as seen in the video below

I guess the family have probably always walked to church at Sandringham given its so close and HM and her predecessors have mainly always been religious enough to want to attend Church on Christmas Day. I'm not sure at what point it became more officially organised having lots of police, barriers, a queuing system etc.

Thank you For this information and clip Tommy 100
Old 12-26-2019, 08:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Queen's Christmas Message was the second most watched programme on TV on Christmas Day, beaten only by the Gavin & Stacey Christmas Special.

The next most-watched programme was the Queen's Christmas Broadcast, which was screened on BBC One, ITV and Sky and seen by 7.85 million people.

In recent years, The Queen's annual broadcast has become the most-watched TV show, based on the overnight figures which do not include viewers who watch Christmas specials on catch-up services during the rest of the festive period.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50915905
Old 12-26-2019, 01:09 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Picture Clip:
Don’t y’all mess with Charlotte’s flowers-
https://duchessofostergotlands.tumbl...otes-container
More details and video on Charlotte’s roses, they were given to her by a 6 yr. old boy :)
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...l-fan-six.html
Old 12-26-2019, 01:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Too sweet for words. I bet that Charlotte will remember those flowers for the rest of her life. Her first flowers from a boy. I wouldn't have wanted to turn them over to someone else either!

The Cambridge children showed at Sandringham yesterday just how they're being raised. The story of George and then Charlotte being comfortable enough to hug a person in a wheelchair shows that they're being raised to be kind and compassionate little people.
Old 12-26-2019, 02:21 PM
Courtier

About Christmas at Sandringham vs Windsor, the BRF website says Sandringham was used for Christmas for decades but when the Queen's children were younger in the 1960s it was mostly at Windsor. Then in 1988, Windsor was being re-wired and it was moved back to Sandringham where it has been ever since. I remember reading somewhere that part of the reason for the move to Windsor had to do with the increase in the size of the family - the Queen, Margaret, the Ogilvies, Kents, Gloucesters were all beginning to have their children and Sandringham just wasn't big enough. It appears that the 1988 re-wiring may have been the start of the extended families not all gathering at one time for Christmas once it moved back to Sandringham.
Old 12-26-2019, 02:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marlboro View Post
About Christmas at Sandringham vs Windsor, the BRF website says Sandringham was used for Christmas for decades but when the Queen's children were younger in the 1960s it was mostly at Windsor. Then in 1988, Windsor was being re-wired and it was moved back to Sandringham where it has been ever since. I remember reading somewhere that part of the reason for the move to Windsor had to do with the increase in the size of the family - the Queen, Margaret, the Ogilvies, Kents, Gloucesters were all beginning to have their children and Sandringham just wasn't big enough. It appears that the 1988 re-wiring may have been the start of the extended families not all gathering at one time for Christmas once it moved back to Sandringham.
I recall reading somewhere that the Queen liked having it at Sandringham rather than Windsor because that way the younger people couldn’t go into
London in the evenings to carouse!

Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-26-2019, 03:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you Ladymalbro. I do think the way they so it now is good, Windsor is used most weeks so i guess going to Sandringham also feels like a treat for the Queen and family and really is getting away from it all. There are many many photos from even when the current Queen was little of the family heading to Sandringham by train. The Queen still ensures to invite all the wider family to the BP lunch and in many says I bet they like being able to do as they wish with their own immediate families.

To me the question is, in time will the family once again outgrow Sandringham and Windsor may have to be used again?

Its clear HM likes being able to go to Sandringham for the whole festive period and not having to wait around until after Christmas Day.
Old 12-26-2019, 03:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Perhaps someone that knows can answer a question. When was the Queen's Christmas lunch started at BP for extended family? It would make sense to me that it started after the Queen returned family Christmas to the Sandringham estate instead of Windsor Castle.

I think the Queen values Christmases at Sandringham mostly because its what she grew up with and holds so many precious memories of the intimacy of family fondly remembered as "us four". Its also telling that the Queen remains at Sandringham to observe the anniversary of her father's death on Feb 6th before returning to London.

The Queen also remembers so very well how possible it was that both Balmoral and Sandringham could have passed out of the family with the abdication of Edward VIII. Her father, luckily, was able to finance and retain the estates and keep the traditions alive and I think that meant the world to Elizabeth both then and now.
Old 12-26-2019, 03:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

I can’t say for sure (and bearing in mind the fact its almost impossible for the royals to go in and out of BP unnoticed now as was not so much the case in the 80s/90s- camera phones, social media to note observations on etc) so we will probably never know an exact date just the date it was first made public, But I would say the same as you Osipi, its probably been since Christmas moved to Sandringham as a way to have a whole RF get together at some point.
Old 12-26-2019, 05:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

I meant to say before its nice that HM still invites the Chattos and Linleys every other year. Very touching she still makes sure to include them.
Old 12-26-2019, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Please note that an argumentative conversation about the Duchess of Cambridge not being on holiday has been deleted. It is a fact that the Duchess is currently in the UK and rather pointless bickering about alternatives.
Old 12-26-2019, 06:03 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

It was fantastic that George and Charlotte made their Sandringham debut - Charlotte stole the show, as usual! I loved the photo of her hugging the woman in the wheelchair - it seems that the Cambridges are teaching their children to be caring and mindful of those in difficult situations and it was clearly seen here. I think she looks a lot like the Middletons here, whereas George is definitely a Windsor.

It was also nice that there was a big turn out this year in spite of the Sussexes and Phillips/Tindalls not being there. It's lovely that the Chattos and Snowdons are still regulars even now the family has expanded (I think they alternate between their non-royal families each year, as they weren't at last year's walk up). Not surprised that Philip missed the service but I hope he still managed to enjoy his Christmas with the family. And it was a sensible call for Andrew to attend the early service separately given all that has gone on.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 12-26-2019, 06:26 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
The Queen also remembers so very well how possible it was that both Balmoral and Sandringham could have passed out of the family with the abdication of Edward VIII. Her father, luckily, was able to finance and retain the estates and keep the traditions alive and I think that meant the world to Elizabeth both then and now.
I have read from several sources re: the financial settlement involved in the abdication that George V bequeathed Edward VIII a life estate in Sandringham & Balmoral rather than a fee simple, thus even if George VI had not bought that life estate interest out, the RF would have ultimately had the two properties returned to the main line, but not until after @ least the Duke of Windsor’s death & possibly not until the Duchess’es death if, as Lascelles reported, she stood to inherit the life estates.
Christmas traditions aside, I agree that the Queen seems to value her time spent at Sandringham. The fact that Phillip is now based at Wood farm on the Sandringham estate and that she gave William and Catherine Anmer on the estate tells us how important Sandringham is to the family.
Old 12-26-2019, 06:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
To me the question is, in time will the family once again outgrow Sandringham and Windsor may have to be used again?
I don't think it will return to Windsor. I think it is more likely that the entire family won't go to Sandringham. Look how many were this year - The Queen, Philip, Charles, Camilla, the Cambridges, the Yorks, The Wessexes, Anne, Tim, Chattos and Linleys.

Missing - Sussexes, Tindalls and Philip's.

Even now the entire family doesn't go to Sandringham and going forwards there is no reason for that to not continue being the case with only some branches going each year.

When Charles is King, his siblings probably won't be invited en masse - maybe one each year rather than all every year.
Old 12-26-2019, 06:44 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I don't think it will return to Windsor. I think it is more likely that the entire family won't go to Sandringham. Look how many were this year - The Queen, Philip, Charles, Camilla, the Cambridges, the Yorks, The Wessexes, Anne, Tim, Chattos and Linleys.

Missing - Sussexes, Tindalls and Philip's.

Even now the entire family doesn't go to Sandringham and going forwards there is no reason for that to not continue being the case with only some branches going each year.

When Charles is King, his siblings probably won't be invited en masse - maybe one each year rather than all every year.
Also when Charles is King, we might stop seeing the Snowdons and Chattos invited. Inviting a parentless niece and nephew to Christmas is different from inviting a cousin. Though Camilla's children and grandchildren might get occasional invites during his reign. Charles seems quite close to his wife's family.
Old 12-26-2019, 07:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

Whatever happens, it will continue to show that the Christmas celebrations with the family is a totally different kettle of fish than the monarchy, itself. Charles will base his celebrations where he most feels comfortable having them and invite whom he pleases within his family. There are no set rules and guidelines that he has to follow.

We are just so used to the way the Queen has done things over her long reign that anything different will seem to be breaking with "tradition" when in actuality, its really just the a change up of family dynamics. When I was small, we all congregated at Grandma's house. Everyone and the uncles and aunts and the cousins by the dozens. 50 years later, I don't see any of them at all and my family has its own dynamics celebrating holidays.
Old 12-26-2019, 07:55 PM
Nobility

The grown up (as in in their 50-70s) cousins on my mother's side of the family all try and get together over Christmas *somehow* although it waxes and wanes about who exactly that comprises because that involves over 70+ people. It's never anywhere close to that number that actually gather but the intent is there.

I don't think we can say anything about how Charles is likely to have it when he's king but that doesn't automatically mean excluding his cousins, siblings or nieces and nephews. Most likely it will happen naturally as more people get married and have babies and commitments elsewhere and Sandringham doesn't fit in the way it did when HM was there.

Most interesting this year apart from the adorable little Cambridges was the Edo was invited, despite having relatives in the country. The new yardstick is an Engagement maybe, though still at HM discretion.

Tags
christmas