The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-25-2019, 12:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

They do seem very chatty every time they meet tbh, e.g. the NATO reception, Ascot and so on. Whatever happened in the past they seem to get on now.

Old 12-25-2019, 12:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

I don't believe they were ever rivals for APB ...I think Anne was wise to him early on and moved on.

LaRae

Old 12-25-2019, 01:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I think part of the reason may well be because we knew in advance H&M were not going to be there so it gave people time to moan. In a few days the fuss around Zara and Peter not being there may be as much.
Its also worth noting that Peter and Zara actually not only probably try and please their mothers’ side of the family and their partners families but also their father. Harry and Meghan have Harry’s family and Meghan’s mum. I say this to point out the two situations (number of people involved, timing of announcement, the fact an announcement was even made) mean we are comparing apples and oranges so let’s not light a fire just yet.

Personally I feel they did what most families do and split their time. Could they have included Doria somehow and still done Sandringham, probably. But that is up to them and people should do as they see fit over Christmas.

I thought this was a lovely Christmas for the RF and hopefully it brought some festive cheer to HM and Philip. Anne and Camilla made my day and even the Queen seemed a bit cheerier and happy to wave to the crowds more than some years IMO.
The Sussexes don’t have a home like Amner. What do you suggest they leave Doria at Frogmore alone and spend the holidays at Sandringham??? Yeah that’s including her in the holidays.

Really Meghan and Autumn are apples and apples. Unlike Zara and Peter whose father is in the UK and the Tindalls, Meghan and Autumns family is on another continent. Doria and Autumns family don’t have year around access to the grandkids like Anne, mark and the Tindalls do.

The reality is that Philip is in the Uk and they can take Archie to see him any time. Doria, and Meghan’s chosen family, don’t have that luxury.

As for Balmoral that isn’t a strike. Balmoral is not an event or invitation. They visit if they choose or not.

Families have to split holidays that’s reality. The Windsor’s got them two years in a row. Why is the queen more entitled to Archie first Christmas then his grandmother is?
Old 12-25-2019, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
Gosh, I was surprised to see the grumpiness of some recent posts on this thread - it’s Christmas Day when we share the message of goodwill to all men (and women).
Its been much worse in previous years,this year has been so far more peaceful thank the Lord.
Old 12-25-2019, 02:04 PM
Royal Highness

I saw the queen's Christmas speech on YouTube. HM gave a shout out of sorts to Archie.
Old 12-25-2019, 02:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
I saw the queen's Christmas speech on YouTube. HM gave a shout out of sorts to Archie.
Haven't seen it yet; what did she say that would be a shout out to Archie?
Old 12-25-2019, 02:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Its also worth noting that Peter and Zara actually not only probably try and please their mothers’ side of the family and their partners families but also their father. Harry and Meghan have Harry’s family and Meghan’s mum. I say this to point out the two situations (number of people involved, timing of announcement, the fact an announcement was even made) mean we are comparing apples and oranges so let’s not light a fire just yet.

Is it confirmed that Meghan's mother joined the Sussexes for Christmas ? It would have been reasonable if Harry and Meghan had traveled to Los Angeles to spend the holidays with Meghan's family (who reduces in this case to Doria only, as Meghan doesn't seem to have a relationship with any other relative). However, they showed up instead in Canada where, as far as we know, Meghan has no family. It is odd that they would ditch the Windsors' Christmas gathering to spend the holidays alone with Archie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Haven't seen it yet; what did she say that would be a shout out to Archie?

There was a clip of Archie being presented to the Queen and she mentioned that she welcomed a new great-grandson in 2019.

The speech properly was excellent. Subtle, yet clear. And grounded in Christian teaching unlike other monarchs who now deliver Christmas messages that are purely secular or political and have no reference to Christmas properly.
Old 12-25-2019, 02:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
From what I understand, Meghan has a lot of "family of the heart" in Canada so its not surprising to me that they spent Christmas there at all. They most certainly weren't alone. Heart trumps blood every time in my book.
Old 12-25-2019, 02:22 PM
Majesty

Every tabloid and paper I have read stated that Beatrice and Edoardo would be spending Christmas apart, and would reunite for the New Year at the Mozzi property on Lamu, Kenya.

And then, hark! There was Edo taking his place at the side of his Royal fiancee at Sandringham...

I was also glad to see Andrew was not discouraged away from attending church altogether, even if he very wisely chose not to appear with the entire family at the later service.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 12-25-2019, 02:23 PM
Royal Highness

What year did the Royal Family first start walking to the church on Christmas morning .
Old 12-25-2019, 02:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

I foud HM particularly exhausted during a speech.
logically The Wales and the Cambridges took centre stage.
Old 12-25-2019, 02:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
There was a clip of Archie being presented to the Queen and she mentioned that she welcomed a new great-grandson in 2019.
Nice. It makes sense to include a reference to an addition to the family into her yearly most personal speech. And welcoming a newborn amidst all the other issues going on was surely a highlight for the queen.
Old 12-25-2019, 02:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm1939 View Post
What year did the Royal Family first start walking to the church on Christmas morning .
Well HM has only hosted Christmas at Sandringham since the late 80s/early 90s, before then they were at Windsor for Christmas day (I believe the Queen and her immediate family then went to Sandringham as now). Even at Windsor HM led the Royal Family (which then included Kents, Gloucesters and co) to church on Christmas Day, although they arrived and left by car as seen in the video below

I guess the family have probably always walked to church at Sandringham given its so close and HM and her predecessors have mainly always been religious enough to want to attend Church on Christmas Day. I'm not sure at what point it became more officially organised having lots of police, barriers, a queuing system etc.
Old 12-25-2019, 02:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
The Sussexes don’t have a home like Amner. What do you suggest they leave Doria at Frogmore alone and spend the holidays at Sandringham??? Yeah that’s including her in the holidays.

Really Meghan and Autumn are apples and apples. Unlike Zara and Peter whose father is in the UK and the Tindalls, Meghan and Autumns family is on another continent. Doria and Autumns family don’t have year around access to the grandkids like Anne, mark and the Tindalls do.

The reality is that Philip is in the Uk and they can take Archie to see him any time. Doria, and Meghan’s chosen family, don’t have that luxury.

As for Balmoral that isn’t a strike. Balmoral is not an event or invitation. They visit if they choose or not.

Families have to split holidays that’s reality. The Windsor’s got them two years in a row. Why is the queen more entitled to Archie first Christmas then his grandmother is?
I didn't say they should leave Doria, I merely suggested the only other alternative to what they have done would be to split Christmas Day in two, being with Harry's family in the morning and Doria in the afternoon (unless HM would break with her own convention and invite Doria to Sandringham). This is what Camilla does, probably what W&K do (I suspect Kate's familywill be visiting this afternoon or tomorrow) and what most families in the UK do. I also simply pointed out that many people overlook that Zara and Peter come from a split family and potentially have to accommodate three lots of parents (Anne, Mark and then their inlaws). I ended by post saying everyone should do what they like at Christmas and I am happy H&M did just that. I never criticised them for their plans.

Let's not forget even on here it is the season of goodwill and peace to all
Heir Presumptive

Looks like the Queen Mother has banana peels on her hat!

Abraham Lincoln
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Every tabloid and paper I have read stated that Beatrice snd and Edoardo would be spending Christmas apart, and would reunite for the New Year at the Mozzi property on Lamu, Kenya.

And then, hark! There was Edo taking his place at the side of his Royal fiancee at Sandringham...
In almost all the pictures I saw, Beatrice and Edo were in the background smiling at each other. It was cute. I guess Edo is having a great time at his first Sandringham Christmas.

It was nice that they spent the holiday together since Beatrice has had a difficult last few months. She could focus on showing her fiancé the ropes instead of other things, like the media monitoring Andrew presence at Sandringham.
Old 12-25-2019, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I think everyone has said their piece about the Sussexes and their decision to be with Meghan’s family for Christmas. Let’s move on from that topic. Thanks!
Old 12-25-2019, 03:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post

Looks like the Queen Mother has banana peels on her hat!
I did have to do a double take when I first saw the video
Old 12-25-2019, 06:23 PM
Serene Highness

The Cambrige children are dears...but I felt a bit uncomfortable watching some of the video. There were times the kids seemed a bit overwhelmed or stressed--even Charlotte who is usually pretty outgoing from what we have seen. Perhaps its just because its the first time.

I hope everyone had a lovely Christmas!
Old 12-25-2019, 09:04 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
I love to see the various interactions during events like this, speak volumes about the real family dynamics. Today Camilla and Anne comparing theirs coats and joking like "purple sisters" juste made my day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
That was great. They were my favourite looks today.
I loved Anne's ensemble and thought she wore it with style, then HM and Camilla arrived and I loved that Camilla was wearing purple too. Both ladies had the best hats and HM looked terrific in red. Even the dress below was plain red and made her pearls look fabulous. This ensemble combined with her Christmas Message one spoke of a new decade and reminded us that we would/were be watching a family go to church to celebrate the birth of the Christ Child.

Tags
christmas