The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #2541  
Old 12-25-2019, 12:51 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 14,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I think part of the reason may well be because we knew in advance H&M were not going to be there so it gave people time to moan. In a few days the fuss around Zara and Peter not being there may be as much.
Its also worth noting that Peter and Zara actually not only probably try and please their mothersí side of the family and their partners families but also their father. Harry and Meghan have Harryís family and Meghanís mum. I say this to point out the two situations (number of people involved, timing of announcement, the fact an announcement was even made) mean we are comparing apples and oranges so letís not light a fire just yet.

Personally I feel they did what most families do and split their time. Could they have included Doria somehow and still done Sandringham, probably. But that is up to them and people should do as they see fit over Christmas.

I thought this was a lovely Christmas for the RF and hopefully it brought some festive cheer to HM and Philip. Anne and Camilla made my day and even the Queen seemed a bit cheerier and happy to wave to the crowds more than some years IMO.
Anne and Camilla go way back and were even rivals, I believe, at one time for the affections of Andrew Parker-Bowles. How things have changed over the years eh?

Its a wonderful time of the year for families and when it comes to splitting time between different sides of a family, they're all treated equally as it should be.
__________________

__________________
"All things are connected. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons of the earth. Man did not weave the web of life : he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself." - Chief Seattle 1854
Reply With Quote
  #2542  
Old 12-25-2019, 12:58 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,937
They do seem very chatty every time they meet tbh, e.g. the NATO reception, Ascot and so on. Whatever happened in the past they seem to get on now.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #2543  
Old 12-25-2019, 12:59 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,912
I don't believe they were ever rivals for APB ...I think Anne was wise to him early on and moved on.


LaRae
Reply With Quote
  #2544  
Old 12-25-2019, 01:25 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 11,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I think part of the reason may well be because we knew in advance H&M were not going to be there so it gave people time to moan. In a few days the fuss around Zara and Peter not being there may be as much.
Its also worth noting that Peter and Zara actually not only probably try and please their mothersí side of the family and their partners families but also their father. Harry and Meghan have Harryís family and Meghanís mum. I say this to point out the two situations (number of people involved, timing of announcement, the fact an announcement was even made) mean we are comparing apples and oranges so letís not light a fire just yet.

Personally I feel they did what most families do and split their time. Could they have included Doria somehow and still done Sandringham, probably. But that is up to them and people should do as they see fit over Christmas.

I thought this was a lovely Christmas for the RF and hopefully it brought some festive cheer to HM and Philip. Anne and Camilla made my day and even the Queen seemed a bit cheerier and happy to wave to the crowds more than some years IMO.
The Sussexes donít have a home like Amner. What do you suggest they leave Doria at Frogmore alone and spend the holidays at Sandringham??? Yeah thatís including her in the holidays.

Really Meghan and Autumn are apples and apples. Unlike Zara and Peter whose father is in the UK and the Tindalls, Meghan and Autumns family is on another continent. Doria and Autumns family donít have year around access to the grandkids like Anne, mark and the Tindalls do.

The reality is that Philip is in the Uk and they can take Archie to see him any time. Doria, and Meghanís chosen family, donít have that luxury.

As for Balmoral that isnít a strike. Balmoral is not an event or invitation. They visit if they choose or not.

Families have to split holidays thatís reality. The Windsorís got them two years in a row. Why is the queen more entitled to Archie first Christmas then his grandmother is?
Reply With Quote
  #2545  
Old 12-25-2019, 01:43 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An IarmhŪ, Ireland
Posts: 26,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
Gosh, I was surprised to see the grumpiness of some recent posts on this thread - itís Christmas Day when we share the message of goodwill to all men (and women).
Its been much worse in previous years,this year has been so far more peaceful thank the Lord.
Reply With Quote
  #2546  
Old 12-25-2019, 02:04 PM
Madame Verseau's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Louisville, United States
Posts: 1,629
I saw the queen's Christmas speech on YouTube. HM gave a shout out of sorts to Archie.
Reply With Quote
  #2547  
Old 12-25-2019, 02:06 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 4,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
I saw the queen's Christmas speech on YouTube. HM gave a shout out of sorts to Archie.
Haven't seen it yet; what did she say that would be a shout out to Archie?
Reply With Quote
  #2548  
Old 12-25-2019, 02:09 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 5,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Its also worth noting that Peter and Zara actually not only probably try and please their mothers’ side of the family and their partners families but also their father. Harry and Meghan have Harry’s family and Meghan’s mum. I say this to point out the two situations (number of people involved, timing of announcement, the fact an announcement was even made) mean we are comparing apples and oranges so let’s not light a fire just yet.



Is it confirmed that Meghan's mother joined the Sussexes for Christmas ? It would have been reasonable if Harry and Meghan had traveled to Los Angeles to spend the holidays with Meghan's family (who reduces in this case to Doria only, as Meghan doesn't seem to have a relationship with any other relative). However, they showed up instead in Canada where, as far as we know, Meghan has no family. It is odd that they would ditch the Windsors' Christmas gathering to spend the holidays alone with Archie.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Haven't seen it yet; what did she say that would be a shout out to Archie?

There was a clip of Archie being presented to the Queen and she mentioned that she welcomed a new great-grandson in 2019.


The speech properly was excellent. Subtle, yet clear. And grounded in Christian teaching unlike other monarchs who now deliver Christmas messages that are purely secular or political and have no reference to Christmas properly.
Reply With Quote
  #2549  
Old 12-25-2019, 02:13 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 14,807
From what I understand, Meghan has a lot of "family of the heart" in Canada so its not surprising to me that they spent Christmas there at all. They most certainly weren't alone. Heart trumps blood every time in my book.
__________________
"All things are connected. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons of the earth. Man did not weave the web of life : he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself." - Chief Seattle 1854
Reply With Quote
  #2550  
Old 12-25-2019, 02:22 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 9,820
Every tabloid and paper I have read stated that Beatrice and Edoardo would be spending Christmas apart, and would reunite for the New Year at the Mozzi property on Lamu, Kenya.

And then, hark! There was Edo taking his place at the side of his Royal fiancee at Sandringham...

I was also glad to see Andrew was not discouraged away from attending church altogether, even if he very wisely chose not to appear with the entire family at the later service.
__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Reply With Quote
  #2551  
Old 12-25-2019, 02:23 PM
sm1939's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: london, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,599
What year did the Royal Family first start walking to the church on Christmas morning .
Reply With Quote
  #2552  
Old 12-25-2019, 02:30 PM
Nico's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 2,635
I foud HM particularly exhausted during a speech.
logically The Wales and the Cambridges took centre stage.
Reply With Quote
  #2553  
Old 12-25-2019, 02:30 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 4,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
There was a clip of Archie being presented to the Queen and she mentioned that she welcomed a new great-grandson in 2019.
Nice. It makes sense to include a reference to an addition to the family into her yearly most personal speech. And welcoming a newborn amidst all the other issues going on was surely a highlight for the queen.
Reply With Quote
  #2554  
Old 12-25-2019, 02:41 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm1939 View Post
What year did the Royal Family first start walking to the church on Christmas morning .
Well HM has only hosted Christmas at Sandringham since the late 80s/early 90s, before then they were at Windsor for Christmas day (I believe the Queen and her immediate family then went to Sandringham as now). Even at Windsor HM led the Royal Family (which then included Kents, Gloucesters and co) to church on Christmas Day, although they arrived and left by car as seen in the video below


I guess the family have probably always walked to church at Sandringham given its so close and HM and her predecessors have mainly always been religious enough to want to attend Church on Christmas Day. I'm not sure at what point it became more officially organised having lots of police, barriers, a queuing system etc.
Reply With Quote
  #2555  
Old 12-25-2019, 02:49 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
The Sussexes donít have a home like Amner. What do you suggest they leave Doria at Frogmore alone and spend the holidays at Sandringham??? Yeah thatís including her in the holidays.

Really Meghan and Autumn are apples and apples. Unlike Zara and Peter whose father is in the UK and the Tindalls, Meghan and Autumns family is on another continent. Doria and Autumns family donít have year around access to the grandkids like Anne, mark and the Tindalls do.

The reality is that Philip is in the Uk and they can take Archie to see him any time. Doria, and Meghanís chosen family, donít have that luxury.

As for Balmoral that isnít a strike. Balmoral is not an event or invitation. They visit if they choose or not.

Families have to split holidays thatís reality. The Windsorís got them two years in a row. Why is the queen more entitled to Archie first Christmas then his grandmother is?
I didn't say they should leave Doria, I merely suggested the only other alternative to what they have done would be to split Christmas Day in two, being with Harry's family in the morning and Doria in the afternoon (unless HM would break with her own convention and invite Doria to Sandringham). This is what Camilla does, probably what W&K do (I suspect Kate's familywill be visiting this afternoon or tomorrow) and what most families in the UK do. I also simply pointed out that many people overlook that Zara and Peter come from a split family and potentially have to accommodate three lots of parents (Anne, Mark and then their inlaws). I ended by post saying everyone should do what they like at Christmas and I am happy H&M did just that. I never criticised them for their plans.

Let's not forget even on here it is the season of goodwill and peace to all
Reply With Quote
  #2556  
Old 12-25-2019, 02:49 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Waterford, United States
Posts: 2,721


Looks like the Queen Mother has banana peels on her hat!
__________________
"If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will.Ē

Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #2557  
Old 12-25-2019, 02:49 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: st. paul, United States
Posts: 1,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Every tabloid and paper I have read stated that Beatrice snd and Edoardo would be spending Christmas apart, and would reunite for the New Year at the Mozzi property on Lamu, Kenya.

And then, hark! There was Edo taking his place at the side of his Royal fiancee at Sandringham...
In almost all the pictures I saw, Beatrice and Edo were in the background smiling at each other. It was cute. I guess Edo is having a great time at his first Sandringham Christmas.

It was nice that they spent the holiday together since Beatrice has had a difficult last few months. She could focus on showing her fiancť the ropes instead of other things, like the media monitoring Andrew presence at Sandringham.
Reply With Quote
  #2558  
Old 12-25-2019, 02:58 PM
soapstar's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach, United States
Posts: 5,496
I think everyone has said their piece about the Sussexes and their decision to be with Meghan’s family for Christmas. Let’s move on from that topic. Thanks!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2559  
Old 12-25-2019, 03:06 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post


Looks like the Queen Mother has banana peels on her hat!
I did have to do a double take when I first saw the video
Reply With Quote
  #2560  
Old 12-25-2019, 06:23 PM
Zaira's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: A, United States
Posts: 1,203
The Cambrige children are dears...but I felt a bit uncomfortable watching some of the video. There were times the kids seemed a bit overwhelmed or stressed--even Charlotte who is usually pretty outgoing from what we have seen. Perhaps its just because its the first time.

I hope everyone had a lovely Christmas!
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
christmas


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
anastasia 2020 armstrong-jones belgian royal belgian royal family bridal gown canada chittagong coronavirus countess of snowdon cover-up current events dna duke & duchess of cambridge; duke of cambridge dutch history dutch royal family dutch royals family tree fantasy movie future genealogy hill house of bernadotte house of grimaldi house of orange-nassau introduction jumma kent king philippe list of rulers lithuania lithuanian palaces mail marriage mbs nobel prize northern ireland norwegian royal family official visit palestine popularity prince charles prince daniel princely family of monaco prince of wales queen mathilde queen maud queen paola romanov family royal events royal family royal spouse royal tour royalty royal wedding royal wedding gown settings shakespeare spanish royal startling new evidence state visit stuart sweden swedish history thailand tips tracts united kingdom usa von hofmannsthal


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:05 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises
×