The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-18-2019, 05:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
My guess is between the protection officers and nannies they are going to be using 2 cars (or more!) from now on.

LaRae

I agree. Also the protection officers probably want a vehicle that can have everyone evacuated as quickly as possible or for the RPOs to enter/exit in a speedy fashion. A mini van with third row seats might not be the vehicle of choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
The point I was trying to make is that when you have children in a Christian household, their attendance and instruction and worship as a family is important no matter what "importance" the service is on the liturgical calendar.

My parents started me going to Mass on Sunday mornings before I started kindergarten. Not to say I was always the perfect angel but I was there.

And if you take them early, most people are pretty understanding that children make noise and get squirmy.

Old 12-18-2019, 06:14 PM
Heir Apparent

I think the Queen probably quite likes having these two Christmas, this one for her extended family including those family members who still work for her as such, a nice way to thank them for their service and wish them festive greetings, then a slightly smaller more core family Christmas for her more immediate family.

I wonder if the Queen buys everyone there a present, just imagine all that wrapping lol.

Old 12-18-2019, 06:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Entirely different circumstances considering Edo has family in the UK and Meghan does not.
For Christmas day I would agree, for the Christmas luncheon on a normal weekday not so much.

And I loved Charlotte's cheeky face upon arrival. She seemed it little tired when they left; so I assume they had a great Christmas party inside.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:33 PM
Courtier

Lady Margarita Armstrong-Jones is lovely looking! Very pretty.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:06 PM
Royal Highness

Charlotte really does transform completely into The Queen whenever she looks serious. Especially in the photo that catches her in profile in the back of the car. All she needs is the iconic purse and a couple of corgis.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
Beatrice came to the lunch without Edo. The claim is the fiancé status. How does that hold up when Meghan attended as Harry's fiancée two years ago?
Has there been a statement from a royal source that Edo will not be allowed at this event until he is married, or is it speculation from the general public?
Old 12-18-2019, 07:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Its still a normal working day in the UK so maybe he couldn't leave work or maybe he had prior commitments. I doubt he was unwelcome and there is more than certainly a good reason why he couldn't be there.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Its still a normal working day in the UK so maybe he couldn't leave work or maybe he had prior commitments. I doubt he was unwelcome and there is more than certainly a good reason why he couldn't be there.
Nonetheless, if this is the first time the queen/your grandmother-to-be invites you to the Christmas luncheon at the Palace it seems most other commitments would be deemed less important; so if he had been invited I would have expected him to attend... Somehow all the others (that are present; and that includes lots of family members with normal day jobs - many at a management level) seem to be able to prioritize this event.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:32 AM
Courtier

We didn't see Peter and Autumn Phillips and family.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fijiro View Post
We didn't see Peter and Autumn Phillips and family.
No and I think they would have been photographed if they had been as there were loads of pics of everyone else.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:08 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Nonetheless, if this is the first time the queen/your grandmother-to-be invites you to the Christmas luncheon at the Palace it seems most other commitments would be deemed less important; so if he had been invited I would have expected him to attend... Somehow all the others (that are present; and that includes lots of family members with normal day jobs - many at a management level) seem to be able to prioritize this event.
Maybe he wasn't invited. It made sense for someone like Meghan to go because she didn't know most of Harry's family, having just a short-term long-distance courtship. So this would of been a means of introduction. But Edo has been in the York family circle for decades so he probably already knows most of the family.

Or he was invited but didn't go. Maybe this happened for a few reasons. Edo and Beatrice had their engagement party the same day so maybe he was left overseeing the last minute details while Beatrice went to the lunch. Or he decided that the first time he wants to go the lunch he should have his son with him, but with the Yorks under the microscope right now he probably wants to keep Wolfie away until the media had settled down.
Old 12-19-2019, 12:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes the Queen has invited him, but maybe she has invited him to Sandringham as well in which case there is perhaps less need to attend. No offence I’m sure no one was crying because he wasn’t there, Beatrice and the more immediate family will see him soon and the Gloucesters and Kents aren't exactly close family. William and Harry both missed Christmas’ at Sandringham due to work commitments and no one thought there was a snub on either theirs or the Queen's part. Yes the Queen is important but she is also said to be kind and understanding so as long as he has politely declined I bet HM is fine with it.
Old 12-19-2019, 12:17 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Yes the Queen has invited him, but maybe she has invited him to Sandringham as well in which case there is perhaps less need to attend. No offence I’m sure no one was crying because he wasn’t there, Beatrice and the more immediate family will see him soon and the Gloucesters and Kents aren't exactly close family. William and Harry both missed Christmas’ at Sandringham due to work commitments and no one thought there was a snub on either theirs or the Queen's part. Yes the Queen is important but she is also said to be kind and understanding so as long as he has politely declined I bet HM is fine with it.
Well, some of the Kents saw him really soon. Since Lady Gabriella and Tom were at their engagement party the same night.
Old 12-19-2019, 01:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Maybe, just maybe, HM, The Queen views her Christmas lunch for the extended family and her Christmas celebrations and get together at Sandringham more along the lines of what most people deem their celebrations to be. Personal invitations to attend with the option of declining the invitation via a RSVP and does not view it as a "command to attend" where to refuse an invitation would be a definite snub to the Queen. When the Queen hosts her family events, she's not hosting as the Queen but rather as Aunt Lilibet, Granny, Gan-Gan, Mother and Mama and Mum.

I think those of us that watch the royal goings on put too much into who goes and who doesn't and what the implications are behind it. Rumors start and gossip floats and relationships that we know absolutely nothing about really are put under a microscope and dissected and analyzed and put back together like a jigsaw puzzle with a whole lot of missing pieces.

There's a little bit of the Daily Mail in all of us from time to time. Its sometimes fun in a discussion to come up with our own thoughts of why things are the way they are. Like with Edo's non attendance at the lunch. Was he invited or not? Did he decline the invitation because of something else he needed to do? Did he get upset that Wolfie wasn't invited? Who knows? We sure don't. Only the family members really know and they're not talking.
Old 12-19-2019, 03:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Completely agree about bit of DM being in all of us. Just from this one lunch we've had all sorts of suggestions about why the Cambridges came in two cars and why Edo wasn't there. I'm sure in both cases the reasons given here are 100% more interesting than the real reasons.
Old 12-19-2019, 03:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
Well, some of the Kents saw him really soon. Since Lady Gabriella and Tom were at their engagement party the same night.
Yes, and he and Beatrice attended Gabriella's wedding and her evening reception.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
The point I was trying to make is that when you have children in a Christian household, their attendance and instruction and worship as a family is important no matter what "importance" the service is on the liturgical calendar.

My parents started me going to Mass on Sunday mornings before I started kindergarten. Not to say I was always the perfect angel but I was there.
Kids go to our church all ages. But that doesn't mean they are at mass. Babies usually are in the nursery from the start. Older kids join their parents for the first few minutes then the priest sends them off with the Sunday school teacher. I wish my grandmother had allowed us to when we went to church as little kids. We would have learned more. Kids get bored and don't understand the adult mass. Sunday school is geared more towards little kids and teaches them the bible ways they can understand. And parents can focus on adult mass. Me and my sister got so bored we played hangman behind my grandmas back.

George is old enough. Might still be bit bored but likely can handle it. Six weeks a general age for the royals. Charlotte might be a bit young.

Attending Christmas with the Middletons is very different. It's more private and they are just normal kids there. With the queen and church they will be expected to be on best behaviour. The walk might be a lot for them as well. George has in the past shown he is not very comfortable with attention and there will be a lot for the walk. Charlotte is less shy.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:22 PM
Majesty

Even if he had shown up the lunch party I would have been very surprised if Edo had brought along his toddler son. He and Beatrice are not even married yet!

And even though the little boy will obviously be part of Edo and Beatrice's family along with any children that they have on their own, I don't think it is likely that Wolfie will be seen regularly at BRF events like Trooping, the Christmas church appearance, etc.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 12-20-2019, 01:04 AM
Nobility

I'm kind of glad the sussexes aren't there this year. Nothing against them but they probably need the break and they do tend to dominate when they are there. All the pictures are of them and no one else.
Old 12-20-2019, 06:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Christmas card from The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall. This year they chose a picture from their visit in Cuba.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6SrhJmgAZb/

Tags
christmas