The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-25-2018, 05:12 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
I'm going from memory here rather than evidence so I could be wrong but when they had their Christmas at Windsor, I think they used to go to Sandringham for New Year & stay there for a month or so.
Just did a google search and as a pre 1988 example, in 1985 they had Christmas at Windsor & by 29th Dec they were at Sandringham so I think my memory of the split holiday might be right.

Old 12-25-2018, 05:13 PM
Majesty

Anyone find pictures yet of the early morning Communion service? Last year we had some about 4 hours before this. I've checked Getty just now, again. And nothing added to the DM yet either.

Old 12-25-2018, 05:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Everywhere I have seen says they were staying at Sandringham with the Queen and its been suggested part of the reason they stayed at Anmer last year was because they were unmarried and the Queen doesn't usually have unmarried couples staying for Christmas so it would have created an unfair precedent.

It was nice to see Kate and Anne chatting away as they left church.
I think Anne looked particularly lovely this year. It looked like she had on brown boots with her blue. I love that color combo.
Old 12-25-2018, 05:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Anyone find pictures yet of the early morning Communion service? Last year we had some about 4 hours before this. I've checked Getty just now, again. And nothing added to the DM yet either.
I wondered about that after checking early this morning for the usual pics and bot seeing then anywhere. Maybe the RF and / or police clamped down and wouldn’t let anybody near.
Old 12-25-2018, 05:41 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I wondered about that after checking early this morning for the usual pics and bot seeing then anywhere. Maybe the RF and / or police clamped down and wouldn’t let anybody near.
I know we got them earlier last year. But I always believed that was because they were outing Bea/Eug (I forget which) in trainers for the early service. They led with a story about "athletic shoes for Christmas." If you look back at this thread - we got a bit confused by that in 2017.

But when I think about other years, there is a big lapse until the early morning snaps come out?

It is actually my more favorite set of photos. Because it is family rather than family on show. JMO, though. It's all nice to see.
Old 12-25-2018, 06:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I don’t think it’s a bow from Jack. It looked like Eugenie said something after the Queen left and he leaned down. If that was a bow, he was way late.

Jack was definitely bowing, but he was late. At his wedding, he bowed early. He is clearly still learning the ropes.
Old 12-25-2018, 06:07 PM
Royal Highness

All the family looked lovely. Meghan in navy, Catherine in red, and the Queens coat in some light looks like a very pale lilac.
I agree Sndral, Lady Louise has grown quite tall. Her little brother needs a warm coat he looks cold.
Only 29 bedrooms at Sandringham, so depending how many are staying, then I expect Harry and Meghan would stay at Anmer. Especially as I don't believe there is any problem between the couples.
I worry that Camilla is unwell again, hope she recovers soon. Nothing worse than a nasty head cold.
Old 12-25-2018, 06:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

We didn’t see Earl Snowdon nor Lady Sarah Chatto and their families so compared to usual there is more room
Old 12-25-2018, 06:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
The crowds were starting to assemble around 4.00 am and SkyNews was reporting from there before the first service but they didn't have any coverage - just a reporter who was asking people why they were there and how early they arrived etc. She did mention that they 'were expected for communion' and then an hour or so later 'they had left from the service' but still all they showed was the gathering crowd - and the crowd was right down to the church.

It is strange that no pictures have come out of that first service but there were certainly people there when it was happening, as well as TV crews.
Old 12-25-2018, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
We didn’t see Earl Snowdon nor Lady Sarah Chatto and their families so compared to usual there is more room
Yes I was wondering if Lady Sarah Chatto was there ,I forgot about the Earl and Countess of Snowdon.

21st of February 1575,Death of Claude de France,Duchess of Lorraine.
Old 12-25-2018, 06:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The crowds were starting to assemble around 4.00 am and SkyNews was reporting from there before the first service but they didn't have any coverage - just a reporter who was asking people why they were there and how early they arrived etc. She did mention that they 'were expected for communion' and then an hour or so later 'they had left from the service' but still all they showed was the gathering crowd - and the crowd was right down to the church.

It is strange that no pictures have come out of that first service but there were certainly people there when it was happening, as well as TV crews.
Were those people allowed outside the church then or being kept back behind the gates to the church? If they were being kept back and the photographers didnt get a good shot of HM in her car maybe they didn’t get any decent pics of the royals.
Old 12-25-2018, 07:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

They were as close to the church as they are allowed to get - same place they were for the later service.
Old 12-25-2018, 07:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Then I would be very surprised we didn't get photos if the public were allowed to line the route to the church.
Old 12-25-2018, 07:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Yes I was wondering if Lady Sarah Chatto was there ,I forgot about the Earl and Countess of Snowdon.
I think it has been awhile since either the Queen's niece or nephew and their families have actually been at Sandringham for Christmas. I know we've seen them visit the Queen later during her Sandringham residency.
Old 12-25-2018, 08:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Then I would be very surprised we didn't get photos if the public were allowed to line the route to the church.
It’s very strange indeed. I remember the pics from first service came out before the official walk to the second service last year. Was following it live since it was Meghan’s first Christmas at Sandringham.
Old 12-25-2018, 08:06 PM
Heir Apparent

It looks as if there wasn't much interaction between Harry and William….
Old 12-25-2018, 09:50 PM
Majesty

It's a lovely picture with the family walking down to the church on Christmas Day, but I always got the notion that those that went to early service virtually sneaked down for the Communion Service because to them it was private.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:10 AM
Nobility

Lady Sarah's son posted about going for a Christmas run in a national park in the south of the country this morning. I suppose they are with the other side of the family.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:18 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rominet09 View Post
It looks as if there wasn't much interaction between Harry and William….
Was unlikely to be, as they walked with the ladies in the middle, with a view to showing some interaction between the ladies. If the men had spoken to each other, it would have been over the ladies, which would have been rather rude.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:39 AM
Royal Highness

Scroll down to see a cute instagram video of William, Kate, Harry and Meghan arriving back at the Sandringham gates after church.

EDIT: scroll right down to the end and see another video of them and Prince Charles walking tnrough the gates to church.

https://whatmeghanwore.net/2018/12/2...hurch-service/

Tags
christmas