The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-25-2018, 12:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think they will have stayed with the Queen because otherwise it would look like they are not welcome in her house. Yes it is busy and full but no more so than in other years before the Cambridge's had Anmer. So far all indicators have been they stayed at the main house not Anmer.

I assume the family all meet in the morning before heading to church - certainly even the Cambridge's arrive on foot and can't have walked from Anmer! I guess they all go to lunch at the Big House after church anyway so I don't think the bowing or curtseying tells us anything about who is staying where.

Old 12-25-2018, 12:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post

How do we all know who stayed with whom? Was it announced somewhere and if so please let us know. I haven't seen any announcement from KP or BP as to where the Susses's were staying nor did the Cambridge's announce it.....or are we all guessing here all because of last year maybe......times change and people do move on to other things!
Because last year (which is part of what we are talking about) it was announced they stayed with The Cambridges.

LaRae

Old 12-25-2018, 12:30 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Because last year (which is part of what we are talking about) it was announced they stayed with The Cambridges.

LaRae
No wonder I am confused, I am in Christmas 2018 not 2017.........why are we going on about last year when it is done and over with? I was talking about the present not the past which is moot...gone and not to return I sure hope. So nobody knows for darn sure who is staying where, heck, tell HM to give us a guest list so we don't guess anymore who is going where or doing what...that is the least she could do, right..........
Old 12-25-2018, 12:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well in that case we'd then have to see a list of who stays in what room so the media can know for sure who gets relegated to the servants quarters
Old 12-25-2018, 12:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post
No wonder I am confused, I am in Christmas 2018 not 2017.........why are we going on about last year when it is done and over with? I was talking about the present not the past which is moot...gone and not to return I sure hope. So nobody knows for darn sure who is staying where, heck, tell HM to give us a guest list so we don't guess anymore who is going where or doing what...that is the least she could do, right..........

Both are being talked about ....the last year got brought up a few posts up if you scroll up you will understand why it's being talked about.

LaRae
Old 12-25-2018, 12:40 PM
Royal Highness

Did that and guess I will stay in this year for it makes more sense to me, love living in the present as that is all we have is now....all I know for sure is that no one knows for sure who is staying where as HM has yet to tell us......

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Well in that case we'd then have to see a list of who stays in what room so the media can know for sure who gets relegated to the servants quarters
Heck Tommy100, we could then tell the media so they could get their act together and inform the public of the *real facts* instead of their assumptions and lies.
Old 12-25-2018, 12:45 PM
Heir Apparent

I still don't see why the RF wants to crowd everyone in at Sandringham, when there's lots more room at Windsor.
Old 12-25-2018, 12:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I still don't see why the RF wants to crowd everyone in at Sandringham, when there's lots more room at Windsor.
I think its because Sandringham at Christmastime is something that the Queen holds dear to her heart. She spent Christmas there with her parents and family and to her, it seems like "home for the holidays".

One tidbit that reinforces this opinion for me is that the Queen stays at Sandringham until February 6th, the anniversary of her father's death.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 12-25-2018, 12:56 PM
Royal Highness

I didn't know that. It's quite an interesting tidbit. Did you find it out in the book you mentioned you are reading?
Old 12-25-2018, 01:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

I've read it in several books and articles printed. Most people see it as the Queen staying at Sandringham until her Accession day.

Sandringham has always held a special place in the hearts of the British royal family and the Queen has spent every Christmas there since she succeeded her father in 1952.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/12/25/insid...-1952-8274425/
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

Old 12-25-2018, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I was trying to figure out who left with the queen in the car,but I guess it was Princess Beatrice.

Hope the Duchess of Cornwall gets better soon missed her there today.

31st of March 1547,Death of FranÁois I
Old 12-25-2018, 02:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think its because Sandringham at Christmastime is something that the Queen holds dear to her heart. She spent Christmas there with her parents and family and to her, it seems like "home for the holidays".

One tidbit that reinforces this opinion for me is that the Queen stays at Sandringham until February 6th, the anniversary of her father's death.
I wonder if it is also in part because they use Windsor most weekends so it would just feel like every other weekend. Or maybe the Queen would feel obliged to invite the wider family for Christmas as she use to.
Old 12-25-2018, 02:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think the difference may be that the Queen may feel that when she's at Windsor (which she loves), she's living in the residence of the monarch. When she's in residence at either Sandringham or Balmoral, she is truly in her own home bought and paid for by her father from the abdicating Edward VIII.

Philip has also been said to really love Sandringham and has spent many, many happy hours on projects and managing the estate.

The privacy at Sandringham is also a big draw, I believe. Especially at Christmastime. Its a place where the family can just be a family without any outside interference from the public. This is why the traditional walk to church on Christmas morning has so much appeal. Other than that, we have absolutely no clue what is going on.

Old 12-25-2018, 02:35 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Apparently not. Most of Windsor is made up of housing for officials and their families and the Royal Collection (ie the whole of the Round Tower plus elsewhere). They moved from Windsor to Sandringham because Windsor wasn't big enough ( source various biographies and media reports)

I don't make the connection with Accession day because she did used to stay at Windsor.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-25-2018, 02:48 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
I was trying to figure out who left with the queen in the car,but I guess it was Princess Beatrice.

Hope the Duchess of Cornwall gets better soon missed her there today.
In the video upthread you can see the Queen leaving church followed by Charles and the rest of the family. Her car glides up and Andrew makes his way through the family and then Beatrice gets in the back seat next to her grandmother and Andrew gets in the front next to the driver.
I havenít seen a video or photo of the Queenís arrival, but itís reported that Andrew rode to church with the Queen. We saw both York princesses walking to the church but did not see their father.
Cute that we saw Peterís daughters collecting flowers this year. And Lady Louise has grown quite a bit in the last year!
Old 12-25-2018, 02:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
Tim Laurence bows his head (I think Jack does was well), so Iím not sure the bowing/curtseying tells us anything at all about where Meghan and Harry are staying.
It doesnít. The curtsies and bows are just common courtesy to the Monarch upon arrival and departure.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-25-2018, 03:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Apparently not. Most of Windsor is made up of housing for officials and their families and the Royal Collection (ie the whole of the Round Tower plus elsewhere). They moved from Windsor to Sandringham because Windsor wasn't big enough ( source various biographies and media reports)

I don't make the connection with Accession day because she did used to stay at Windsor.
I'm going from memory here rather than evidence so I could be wrong but when they had their Christmas at Windsor, I think they used to go to Sandringham for New Year & stay there for a month or so.
Old 12-25-2018, 03:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
I'm going from memory here rather than evidence so I could be wrong but when they had their Christmas at Windsor, I think they used to go to Sandringham for New Year & stay there for a month or so.
Winter hunting was quite popular with the British royals. In fact, in order to extend the daylight hours for this past time, King Edward VII declared the estate to be on Sandringham Time which corresponds to UTC+0:30, and was used from 1901 to 1936. Its not the only quirky thing I've read about Sandringham.

To this day, if you're driving on the estate, you'll see the speed limit posted as 38. Why? Philip figures that its a number that's so unexpected that people pay attention to it.

Sandringham has been a huge favorite of monarchs for generations so it doesn't surprise me that the Queen made it *the* place for Christmas celebrations. Just as Windsor is for Easter and her summer sojourn is to Balmoral in the highlands of Scotland.

Old 12-25-2018, 04:05 PM
Serene Highness

My! Autumn Philips looks so very chic!

Everyone seemed in festive spirits for the BRF. Lovely to take a breather from the family to check in here lol.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2018, 04:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
Tim Laurence bows his head (I think Jack does was well), so Iím not sure the bowing/curtseying tells us anything at all about where Meghan and Harry are staying.
I donít think itís a bow from Jack. It looked like Eugenie said something after the Queen left and he leaned down. If that was a bow, he was way late.

Tags
christmas