The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-25-2018, 10:10 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Where was the Duchess of Cornwall ? And who was in the car with the Queen ?
Duchess of Cornwall was not present. There was a rumor she's not feeling well and that's why she missed the Christmas Lunch last week.
I think Prince Andrew was in the car with the Queen.

Old 12-25-2018, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

A very nice curtsey from Meghan! Last year her curtsey was fine, but she looked a bit ill at ease, this year she's got it down perfectly.

Old 12-25-2018, 10:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Meghan curtsied last year, albeit less deep than this year, and was obviously at Sandringham.

I would expect William and Catherine to be at Anmer, but they would be spending today at Sandringham with the whole family.
The Sussexes were with the Cambridges last year. Looks like they were back this year. The press seemed to get it wrong... again. Shocker.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Maybe it's just become a bit of a custom to see the Queen off from Church at Xmas with a bow/curtsey? I think all the royals headed off in the direction of the big house for lunch last year, and didn't Eugenie also curtsey on the Church steps last year? The Yorks wouldn't have been going to Anmer for lunch.
No, they are curtsying and bowing because itís the first theyíve seen HMQ that day whereas the others wouldíve curtsied and bowed at the house earlier. The York Princesses did not curtsy on the steps last year. They were standing right behind the Cambridges and Sussexes last year and watched as HMQ left.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:38 AM
Royal Highness

Cue the tabloids! "Meghan forced to stay with Kate at Anmer by the Queen!"

Wait for it!

The tabloids have to come up with a new "drama" as to why they got it wrong that the Sussexes did in fact stay with the Cambridges this year!
Old 12-25-2018, 10:38 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
The Sussexes were with the Cambridges last year. Looks like they were back this year. The press seemed to get it wrong... again. Shocker.
There's not actually a great deal of comfortable space for everyone at Sandringham for overnight. At least, that's what I've heard discussed here previously.

But I didn't realize curtseying is any indication of not seeing the Queen again later.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:39 AM
Royal Highness

Of course Kate and Meghan weren't going to go Real Housewives at Sandringham. But look at the crowd reactions to both women. Smiles, hugs, flowers, pictures. The crowd didn't buy into the media noise and I don't think the public overall doesn't either. Meghan's curtsy was great. I wonder what gag gift Meghan was get - a box of Pampers (diapers, nappies)?
Old 12-25-2018, 10:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

Typically they curtesy the first time they see the Queen (or senior royal) then they don't for the rest of that gathering.

LaRae
Old 12-25-2018, 10:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
There's not actually a great deal of comfortable space for everyone at Sandringham for overnight. At least, that's what I've heard discussed here previously.

But I didn't realize curtseying is any indication of not seeing the Queen again later.
Itís an indication they havenít seen her earlier today. Curtsying bowing at hello and goodbye. They donít do it in church, so itís right after the service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Typically they curtesy the first time they see the Queen (or senior royal) then they don't for the rest of that gathering.

LaRae
I believe the curtsy and bow is only to HMQ and Prince Philip. They donít curtsy or bow to any other fellow royal.

Now the REAL question from that video. Who forgot they are supposed to ride back with the Queen? Andrew or Beatrice? It looked like they were both surprised.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:43 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I believe the curtsy and bow is only to HMQ and Prince Philip. They don’t curtsy or bow to any other fellow royal.

I've seen them (Cambridges for sure and Harry..can't remember about Meghan) bow/curtesy to Charles and Camilla.

LaRae
Old 12-25-2018, 10:43 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post

Lol, the curtsy is just a proper respect of seeing The Queen off. Right now they’re all gathering to watch the Christmas message. I’ll be tuning in.

The Queen’s Christmas Message can be viewed here- 3pm NOW

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-25-2018, 11:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think the curtsey / bow thing is being overblown. I think they did it last year for whatever reason and then felt they should do the same again. As much as we like to think its all spontaneous you can see Anne waiting to allow W&K go in front of her so its clear they know that the "scene" on the church steps in important. Equally there isn't enough room for all the family to bow curtsey probably unless we want them falling off the steps.
Old 12-25-2018, 11:17 AM
Heir Apparent

The Cambridge kids did not attend?
Old 12-25-2018, 11:30 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Meghan and Harry stayed with the Cambridges last year....

LaRae

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post

Did they? All articles Iíve just looked at said they came from Sandringham House to church.
Old 12-25-2018, 11:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

A nice moment between the duchesses

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DvRS4ECWkAAMacv.jpg
Old 12-25-2018, 11:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

Everywhere I have seen says they were staying at Sandringham with the Queen and its been suggested part of the reason they stayed at Anmer last year was because they were unmarried and the Queen doesn't usually have unmarried couples staying for Christmas so it would have created an unfair precedent.

It was nice to see Kate and Anne chatting away as they left church.
Old 12-25-2018, 11:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Did they? All articles I’ve just looked at said they came from Sandringham House to church.
This makes sense. As its tradition that they all walk to church en famille and then congregate back at the Big House for Christmas Lunch and the Queen's Speech, it makes sense that those that were staying at Amner Hall drove over to the Big House, parked there and joined the family. Their car would be there waiting for the return home after the activities for the day were done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Everywhere I have seen says they were staying at Sandringham with the Queen and its been suggested part of the reason they stayed at Anmer last year was because they were unmarried and the Queen doesn't usually have unmarried couples staying for Christmas so it would have created an unfair precedent.

Perhaps by stating that they stayed at Sandringham could mean that they stayed on the Sandringham Estate which Amner Hall is a part of. The Queen's residence is referred to as the "Big House".
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 12-25-2018, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Tim Laurence bows his head (I think Jack does was well), so I’m not sure the bowing/curtseying tells us anything at all about where Meghan and Harry are staying.
Old 12-25-2018, 12:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Did they? All articles Iíve just looked at said they came from Sandringham House to church.
They stayed with the Cambridges but they all head over to Sandringham and walk from there to the Church.

LaRae
Old 12-25-2018, 01:00 PM
Royal Highness

How do we all know who stayed with whom? Was it announced somewhere and if so please let us know. I haven't seen any announcement from KP or BP as to where the Susses's were staying nor did the Cambridge's announce it.....or are we all guessing here all because of last year maybe......times change and people do move on to other things!

Tags
christmas