Annual Engagements by Members of the Royal Family 2011-2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was aiming to do March this week.

I tried it in a spreadsheet but on top of the spreadsheet I now do that is at over 100 columns it would be very unweildy. To do the above would take about 150 - 200 columns so I am doing it in a word document. I find it easier to read as well as it is then on three pages rather than about 10 across a spreadsheet.

For anyone interested in Princess Alexandra and her lack of engagements so far this year I have checked the FE and her engagements for May have been cancelled, except for the one on the 31st May - but given that all the others have been it is probable that that one will be as well.

On another forum there is a poster who has looked at Facebook and Majesty Magazine and found at that she is suffering from polymyalgia rheumatica.

I thought I would add a link to wikipedia on this disease as well Polymyalgia rheumatica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have some elderly friends with this disease and they say that it is very painful, although they do go about their normal lives with it.

The sad announcement is being discussed in the Alexandra thread. The Kents are strong though.

This is my breakdown for March by type of engagement.

Visits - 100 (HM - 1, DoE - 4, PoW - 23, DuoCor - 19, DoCa - 1, DuoCa - 5, DoY - 13, EoW - 4, CoW - 10, PR - 2, DoG - 5, DuoG - 1, DoK - 12)
Reception or Received - 83 (HM - 10, DoE - 9, PoW - 12, DuoCor - 5, DoY - 13, EoW - 4, CoW - 10, PR - 2, DoG - 5, DuoG - 1, DoK - 12)
Viewed - 11 (HM - 2, DoE - 2, PoW - 2, DuoCor - 3, DuoCa - 2)
Meals - 34 (HM - 1, DoE - 4, PoW - 1, DuoCor - 1, DoCa - 2, DoY - 3, EoW - 7, CoW - 7, PR - 5, TL - 1, DoK - 2)
Toured - 6 (PR - 6)
Opened or Launched - 16 (DoE - 2, DuoCa - 2, DoY - 1, EoW - 1, CoW - 2, DoG - 7, DoK - 1)
Concerts or Films - 2 (EoW - 1, CoW - 1)
Sporting Event - 5 (PR - 3, TL - 2)
Investitures - 5 (HM - 3, PR - 2)
Audiences or Council - 10 (HM - 10)
Conference - 10 (DoE - 1, PoW - 3, DoY - 1, PR - 4, DoG - 1)
Meetings - 19 (DoE - 1, PoW - 3, DoY - 2, EoW - 3, CoW - 4, PR - 3, DoG - 1, DuoG - 1, DoK - 1)
Present Prizes etc - 10 (PoW - 1, DoY - 1, PR - 4, DoG - 4)
Parades or Salutes - 2 (DoCa - 1, DuoCa - 1)
Church Services - 12 (HM - 1, DoE - 3, PoW - 2, DuoCor - 2, DoG - 2, DuoG - 2)
Others - 27 (HM - 1, PoW - 10, DuoCor - 4, DoY - 1, EoW - 3, CoW - 1, PR - 4, DoG - 2, DuoG - 1)

Year to end of March Total - 793

Weekly update to 25th April

The more senior royals weren't out and about as much as the so-called 'minor' royals this week.

HM The Queen - 90 (90 - no change)
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 57 (52 - up 5)
HRH The Prince of Wales - 164 (160 - up 4)
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 78 (72 - up 6)
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 10 (10 - no change)
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 20 (17 - up 3)
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 10 (5 - up 5)
HRH The Duke of York - 90 (84 - up 6)
HRH Princess Beatrice of York - 1 (1 - no change)
HRH Princess Eugenie of York - 0 (0 - no change)
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 70 (65 - up 5)
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 60 (53 - up 7)
HRH The Princess Royal - 149 (132 - up 17)
Vice-Admiral Tim Lawrence - 11 (11 - up 1)
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 61 (56 - up 5)
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 31 (27 - up 4)
HRH The Duke of Kent - 66 (61 - up 5)
HRH The Duchess of Kent - 0 (0 - no change)
HRH Prince Michael of Kent – 1 (1 - no change)
HRH Princess Michael of Kent - 1 (1 - no change)
HRH Princess Alexandra - 0 (0 - no change)

Order from most downwards - the 'league table' if you like. I refuse to calculate how people are moving up or down that list. I do move people around who have moved up or down but I am not putting in how many places they are moving - although usually it is only one place in either direction.

HRH The Prince of Wales - 164
HRH The Princess Royal - 149
HM The Queen – 90
HRH The Duke of York - 90
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 78
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 70
HRH The Duke of Kent - 66
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 61
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 60
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh – 57
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 31
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 20
Vice-Admiral Tim Lawrence - 11
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 10
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 10
HRH Princess Beatrice of York – 1
HRH Prince Michael of Kent – 1
HRH Princess Michael of Kent -1
HRH Princess Eugenie of York - 0
HRH The Duchess of Kent - 0
HRH Princess Alexandra - 0

Year to date total - 970 (up 72)

Days on which official engagements were undertaken to 25th April:

HM The Queen - 34
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 32
HRH The Prince of Wales - 52
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 33
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 6
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 13
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 5
HRH The Duke of York - 31
HRH Princess Beatrice of York - 1
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 32
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 28
HRH The Princess Royal - 59
Commander Tim Lawrence - 10
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 38
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 21
HRH The Duke of Kent - 30
HRH Prince Michael of Kent - 1
HRH Princess Michael of Kent - 1

Eugenie, Katherine and Alexandra are still to do anything official this year

Weekly update to 2nd May

A lot busier this week for many of the royals. The Duke of Kent was out and about again and in Ireland for most of his engagements. This week includes The Duke of Edinburgh's visit to Canada as well.

HM The Queen - 95 (90 - up 5)
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 65 (57 - up 8)
HRH The Prince of Wales - 179 (164 - up 15)
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 85 (78 - up 7)
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 13 (10 - up 3)
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 24 (20 - up 4)
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 13 (10 - up 3)
HRH The Duke of York - 96 (90 - up 6)
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 81 (70 - up 11)
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 65 (60 - up 5)
HRH The Princess Royal - 163 (149 - up 14)
Vice-Admiral Tim Lawrence - 11 (11 - up 1)
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 63 (61 - up 2)
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 31 (31 - no change)
HRH The Duke of Kent - 76 (66 - up 10)

Order from most downwards - the 'league table' if you like. I refuse to calculate how people are moving up or down that list. I do move people around who have moved up or down but I am not putting in how many places they are moving - although usually it is only one place in either direction.

HRH The Prince of Wales - 179
HRH The Princess Royal - 163
HRH The Duke of York - 96
HM The Queen – 95
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 85
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 81
HRH The Duke of Kent - 76
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh – 65
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 65
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 63
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 24
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 13
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 13

Year to date total - 1063 (970 - up 93)

79.0% of those engagements being carried out by The Queen, her children and their spouses.
The main line (The Queen, Duke of Edinburgh, Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall, Duke of Cambridge, Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Harry) has done 44.5%.
15.0% of all engagements are being done by those over 85.
22.2% done by those 70 and above
71.4% are being done by those over 60.
49.0% were done by those in their 60s.
8.9% have been done by The Queen.
16.8% were done by Charles.
8.0% were done by Camilla

Days on which official engagements were undertaken to 25th April:

HM The Queen - 36
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 38
HRH The Prince of Wales - 55
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 36
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 7
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 15
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 6
HRH The Duke of York - 34
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 36
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 32
HRH The Princess Royal - 64
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 40
HRH The Duke of Kent - 33

Weekly update to 9th May

A bit quieter this week although most of them did something. RWHS doesn't count as it is the royals 'at play' just as Badminton last weekend only counted for Camilla and not Anne or Tim who were there to relax while Camilla was there to offiically present the awards.

HM The Queen - 98 (95 - up 3)
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 72 (65 - up 7)
HRH The Prince of Wales - 191 (179 - up 12)
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 89 (85 - up 4)
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 13 (13 - no change)
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 24 (24 - no change)
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 16 (13 - up 3)
HRH The Duke of York - 99 (96 - up 3)
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 84 (81 - up 3)
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 73 (65 - up 8)
HRH The Princess Royal - 172 (163 - up 9)
Vice-Admiral Tim Lawrence - 11 (11 - no change)
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 66 (63 - up 3)
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 31 (31 - no change)
HRH The Duke of Kent - 81 (76 - up 5)

RH The Prince of Wales - 191
HRH The Princess Royal - 172
HRH The Duke of York - 99
HM The Queen – 98
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 89
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 84
HRH The Duke of Kent - 81
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 73
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh – 72
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 66
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 24
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 16
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 13

Year to date total - 1123 (1063 - up 60)

79.0% of those engagements being carried out by The Queen, her children and their spouses.
The main line (The Queen, Duke of Edinburgh, Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall, Duke of Cambridge, Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Harry) has done 44.7%.
15.1% of all engagements are being done by those over 85.
22.4% done by those 70 and above
71.4% are being done by those over 60.
48.8% were done by those in their 60s.

Days on which official engagements were undertaken to 9th May

HM The Queen - 38
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 40
HRH The Prince of Wales - 60
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 40
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 7
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 15
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 7
HRH The Duke of York - 36
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 38
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 35
HRH The Princess Royal - 67
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 42
HRH The Duke of Kent - 36

This is my breakdown for April by type of engagement.

Visits - 56 (HM - 4, DoE - 7, PoW - 2, DoCa - 4, DuoCa - 5, PH - 2, DoY - 1, EoW - 7, CoW - 5, PR - 6, DoG - 5, DuoG - 4, DoK - 4)
Reception or Received - 52 (HM - 2, DoE - 2, PoW - 9, DuoCor - 1, DoCa - 1, DuoCa - 2, PH - 2, DoY - 9, PB - 1, EoW - 3, CoW - 2, PR - 6, TL - 1, DoG - 4, DuoG - 2, DoK - 3, PM - 1, PrM - 1)
Viewed - 2 (PoW - 1, DuoCa - 1)
Meals - 26 (HM - 3, DoE - 4, PoW - 1, DuoCor - 2, DoY - 2, EoW - 2, PR - 7, TL - 1, DoG - 3, DoK - 1)
Toured - 0
Opened or Launched - 35 (DoE - 3, PoW - 2, DuoCo -2, DoCa - 1, DuoCa - 2, PH - 2, EoW - 3, CoW - 4, PR - 12, DuoG - 3, DoK - 1)
Concerts or Films - 3 (DoY - 1,DuoG - 1, DoK - 1) - Andrew's was to the ballet
Sporting Event - 0
Investitures - 4 (HM - 1, PoW - 1, DuoCo - 1, DoK - 1)
Audiences or Council - 3 (HM - 3)
Conference - 5 (CoW - 1, PR - 3, DoK - 1)
Meetings - 14 (DoY - 1, EoW - 9, CoW - 1, PR - 1, DoG - 1, DoK - 1)
Present Prizes etc - 2 (DoE - 1, DuoCo - 1)
Parades or Salutes - 3 (PH - 1, PR - 2)
Church Services - 4 (HM - 1, DoE - 1, DoK - 2)
Others - 16 (HM - 1, DoE - 1, DuoCor - 2, DoCa - 2, DuoCa - 2, PH - 1, DoY - 2, PR - 2, TL - 1, DoG - 2)

Year to end of April Total - 1018

Last edited:
How many engagements are the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge expected/likely to carry out each year once they become full time working royals? Would the Wessexes be a good comparison as they also have young children? Is the increased number of engagements likely to offset the reduction by HM, DofE and Princess Alexandra?

William is 2nd in line to the throne so I would expect him to be closer to Anne and Charles with Kate around 300 - 400.

The Wessexes have the advantage of being a long way from the throne and dropping so they could take a lot of time off to raise their kids that isn't available to William and Kate (and it The Queen passes away that will be even less for them).

"15 full time working Royals"

Time and again we read and hear that there are 15 full time working Royals in the British Royal Family. In actual fact, William, Kate and Harry are not yet full time working Royals (certainly not William or Harry) and it seems that Princess Alexandra seems to have virtually retired - she has carried out no official engagements so far this year. Should the official number of working Royals be reduced to 11?

If a member of the BRF was to officially retire - give up official duties altogether - would they remain on the Court Circular? Not sure if there are any previous examples of Royals fully retiring though!

Time and again we read and hear that there are 15 full time working Royals in the British Royal Family. In actual fact, William, Kate and Harry are not yet full time working Royals (certainly not William or Harry) and it seems that Princess Alexandra seems to have virtually retired - she has carried out no official engagements so far this year. Should the official number of working Royals be reduced to 11?

Princess Alexandra hasn't retired, she is ill and has had to cancel engage memento this year. There will be a announcement if she ceases to carry out royal engagements.

As for the full time royal stuff, that is journalese. It doesn't matter what the facts are the papers write what they want. The Countess of Wessexisnt supposed to be full time and she isn't.

Further journalese is they write about 15 full time royals and only tend to publicise HMQ, PoW , the Cambridge's and Harry.

So Lumutqueen iSight. It doesn't matter.

Personally, I've never heard anyone say that there are 15 full time royals before, but perhaps I'm just not reading enough.

I don't think the actual number is important, really. To me debating over it almost seems like another way to take a shot against how productive the royals are.

If a member of the BRF was to officially retire - give up official duties altogether - would they remain on the Court Circular? Not sure if there are any previous examples of Royals fully retiring though!

Surely the only reason they would be in the Court Circular was because they had done an engagement and wouldn't be retired? For instance The Duchess of Kent is often represented at events by other people therefore it is mentioned in the CC. However Katherine Kent hasn't done a royal engagement for a rather long time I believe.

Whilst there is no official "full time working royals" rule where it's written down in stone therefore would need to be reduced or downgraded to 11, IMO there are 11 full time working royals;

The Queen
The Duke of Edinburgh
POW
Duchess of Cornwall
Princess Anne
Prince Andrew
Prince Edward
Countess of Wessex
The Duke of Gloucester
The Duchess of Gloucester
The Duke of Kent

You add
Prince Michael of Kent
Princess Michael of Kent
Princess Alexandra
Vice-Admiral Timothy Laurence
The Duke of Cambridge
The Duchess of Cambridge
Prince Henry
Princess Beatrice
Princess Eugenie

The number goes up to 20.

She has been mentioned when attending group events, such as the Bomber Memorial event last year or the Queens Jubilee service. But she doesn't carry out events on an individual basis as she has "retired from public life"

Alexandra is still in the list of working royals, she is still receiving funds from HMQ. add William,Catherine and Harry and that's the 15. none of the others undertake any engagements on behalf of the Queen.

I would add Alexandra to the official list because she has been a full time royal until now, and we can't say how much this year has been reduced because she is trying to cut back and how much it's been reduced because of her health problems.

I don't believe the Michaels perform many official duties, while the Princesses of Yorks definitely don't perform official duties. The Cambridges and Harry are all part-time royals, although I think we're going to see a change in regards to the Cambridges in the near future.

Timothy isn't technically speaking a royal at all, although I agree he should be credited more for what he does with Anne (I don't believe he does any royal-esque duties independently).

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright full time working royal IMO would be someone who does more then 300 engagements a year, therefore my list would be;

The Queen
The Duke of Edinburgh
The Prince Of Wales
The Duchess of Cornwall
The Duke of York
The Earl of Wessex
The Countess of Wessex
The Princess Royal
The Duke of Gloucester.

No Alexandra, William, Henry or Catherine or anyone else for that matter.

none of the others undertake any engagements on behalf of the Queen.

So that counts them out as being full time royals? I didn't know that was a criteria.

Last edited:
William and Catherine don't yet count as full time royals. Neither does Harry. They're always called part time royals, and often criticized as such. William and Harry both have full time jobs within the armed services, and Catherine is being eased into things (although she had undertaken enough engagements to be considered pretty close to full time in recent months).

I think we're going to see William and Catherine both become full time royals at some point in the near future. I personally don't see William juggling the military, royal duties, and fatherhood, and I think once he reduces his military role he'll increase his royal one. Catherine is already showing an increase in duties, and while we can't expect her to keep the pace when the baby's born, I think after a bit she'll be returning to this pace and go full time.

I think that from a public/newspaper perspective, it is those royals allegedly get paid to do the job.
I know that the Duchy pay for William Catherine And. array but most of the public and the press consider that public money.

I also know that the grant has gone - this isn't about what is really happening it is about how the press manipulate public information.

William and Catherine don't yet count as full time royals. Neither does Harry. They're always called part time royals, and often criticized as such. William and Harry both have full time jobs within the armed services, and Catherine is being eased into things (although she had undertaken enough engagements to be considered pretty close to full time in recent months).

I know that.
But if you look at the comment cepe made it says "add alexandra, william, harry and catherine" and you have 15. Meaning 15 full time working royals. They are not full time working royals so there aren't 15 at the minute.

Catherine did 111 engagements last year, the POW did 592. I wouldn't say that was anywhere near pretty close to full time working royal amounts.

I don't think they are full time, the media write that they are.

I don't think they are full time, the media write that they are.

You mean that they write there are 15 full time working royals? or that Catherine, William and Henry are part of the 15 full time working royals?

I think it's the media thinks they're full time royals, or should be, and use their smaller numbers of engagements to justify the complaint that they're not doing enough.

I think it's the media thinks they're full time royals, or should be, and use their smaller numbers of engagements to justify the complaint that they're not doing enough.

Yes. I have always known that W, C and H are not full time but the press include them. and I think they reason they are included is that they are perceived as receiving funds to do their work.

Main conclusion: there aren't 15 full time working royals, at most there are 12. However this isn't noted anyway, is not set in stone and in the grand scheme of life doesn't matter. :)

Main conclusion: there aren't 15 full time working royals, at most there are 12. However this isn't noted anyway, is not set in stone and in the grand scheme of life doesn't matter. :)

Well said!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom