The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-26-2020, 12:07 PM
Serene Highness

Accents and Mannerisms

Hello,

I have been watching a number of royal documentaries - youtube and my own during the lockdown.
And my husband and I - kids chipped quite a bit have noticed that the royals really don't sound like each other. yes - Nanny, private schools ect. However children tend to imitate their parents in these things.
Charles sounds like the BBC radio presenters of the 1970's. If anything the Princess Royal sounds the most like the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh. Prince Andrew's accent is very muted, and then Edward's accent changes with event from posh to well sounding Canadian.

Mannerisms gets even worst. All the royal men walk with their hands behind their back like the Duke of Edinburgh, is this a military thing. But occasionally those hands get out, Charles fiddles quiet a bit with his watch , ring, cuffs and waist. Edward appears to desperately want to use hand gestures and when he does you understand why he has been taught to hold his hand behind his back. With age this appears to have been taught out of him.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Old 04-26-2020, 12:26 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Hello,
have noticed that the royals really don't sound like each other.
I don't know about you, but I wouldn't expect them to at their age. I sound nothing like my parents, not just because i live on the other side of the country either but we all find our voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Mannerisms gets even worst. All the royal men walk with their hands behind their back like the Duke of Edinburgh, is this a military thing. But occasionally those hands get out, Charles fiddles quiet a bit with his watch , ring, cuffs and waist. Edward appears to desperately want to use hand gestures and when he does you understand why he has been taught to hold his hand behind his back. With age this appears to have been taught out of him.

Has anyone else noticed this?
The hands behind the back pose is often termed "The Military Man", the folded arms stance is often seen when military personnel stand to attention of simply stand in general.

I've never particularly noticed Charles fiddling or Edwards hand gestures, hand gestures are a form of expression and fiddling can denote nervousness I understand.

Old 04-26-2020, 12:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

I very often stand myself with the arms behind my back, with one hand holding the wrist of the other arm, in the "at ease stance". Never walk like that though.

Apart from having a place to put my hands (other than my pockets, which is not always desirable, like speaking to my boss or a guest from abroad) it's good for the back. I guess the stance straightens the back. - Whatever, it feels good.