Crown Princess Mary's Working Visit to Malaysia: May 27-30, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the pics. :flowers:

I see Mary is protected by PET as well as Malaysian security.

Thanks fairytale :flowers:

Love this! Mary is a charmer :D I don't understand a word in Malay, but judging by the applause they understood what she said (or tried to said) :p

Video of her speaking: BILLED-BLADET med kronprinsesse Mary i Malaysia - YouTube

Picture from the galla dinner
http://www.billedbladet.dk/sites/bi...media/large/20130529_jsu6433.jpg?itok=cuLwxn3-

Last edited:
good for Mary in trying to say a few words in Malay :flowers:
I remember she also tried to say a few words in Spanish during her and Frederik's trip to Chile

Denmark's Crown Princess Mary addresses the Women Deliver conference in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Thursday, May 30, 2013. The three-day conference will focus on the health and empowerment of girls and women and ensuring their rights remain top priorities now, and for decades to come.

Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3

although mary is very well covered in our danish media i have learned so much about mary and her work after i became a member here. many thanks :) i am proud and happy for my crown princess :wub: she is definitely a clever woman

Summary of articles in Billed Bladet #22, 2013.
All written by our South-East Asia correspondent Ulrik Ulriksen.

Mary arrived in Kuala Lumpur the middle of a tropical rainstorm to take part in the Women Deliver conference, where she had been invited to give a speach. Several thousand people from 150 countries take part in the conference.
Mary wasn't the only royal around. Mette-Marit was there as well. she deals mainly with the global HIV problem affecting young women. Princess Mabel, who was there as well, deals mainly in the problem of forced marriages, while Mary focuses on reproductive health in Third World countries. Which means that the trio can work together, share information and feedback while at the same time cover a wide area.

After checking in at her hotel, Mary went to the opening ceremony of the conference and after a number of speeches and debates the Malayan Prime Minister Najib Razak and his wife Rosmah Mansor, invited Mary, Mette-Marit and Mabel for a cup of tea in private.

After the opening ceremony with tea, Mary went to visit the maternity ward of the Putrajaya Hospital. The women here all suffer from diabetis and here she met Mrs. Lee who has just given birth to a baby boy, whom Mary fell in love with: "Ooh, how sweet he is, how old is he"? After some baby-chat and admiring of the newborn, Mary went to see three other women, one of them, very appropriatly, pregnant with twins.

Then it was off to the Marriott Hotel, where there was signing ceremony between the Malaysian government and the company Novo Nordisk, which is THE leading developer and manufacturer of insulin in the world.
Because there are Danish businessmen quietly following Mary to Malaysia. Malaysia is a growing economy and as such very attractive to Danish commerce, and it's here Mary steps in to help open doors and bring some added glamour and prestige, which has time and again proven very helpful for Danish commerce.

Thanks fairytale :flowers:

Love this! Mary is a charmer :D I don't understand a word in Malay, but judging by the applause they understood what she said (or tried to said) :p

Video of her speaking: BILLED-BLADET med kronprinsesse Mary i Malaysia - YouTube

Picture from the galla dinner
http://www.billedbladet.dk/sites/bi...edia/large/20130529_jsu6433.jpg?itok=cuLwxn3-

The Malay proverb - "Asam di gunung, garam di laut, bertemu dalam satu belanga" (Tamarind from a mountain and salt from a sea, finally met in a cooking pot - or the English translation which she mentioned in the speech).

She said it peerfectly:)

I'm glad is more perfect in Malay than in spanish, when she was in chile.

Summary of a number of articles in Billed Bladet #23, 2013.
All written by our man in Kuala Lumpur Ulrik Ulriksen.

This cover the last couple of days of the conference.

The Women Deliver reception took place one evening in the Petronas Tower. On the 42nd floor to be exact. Apparantly next to the skybridge that connects the two buildings constituting the tower, because at some point Mette-Marit and Mary joined up with Chelsea Clinton and went out to the bridge to have a look.
But it was a fairly shot attendance at the reception. Mary and Mette-Marit left the reception at the same time and Mary hitched a ride with MM. Presumably they wanted a chance to chat a bit.

But it wasn't all sightseeing. Mary also visited refugees from Myanmar (*) at the UN registration center. Here she was taken for a tour of the centre and she met some of the families. Most of which didn't know who she was. A pregnant woman and a little boy named Ram Thad Din recieved particular attention.
The reporter noticed that Mary was visibly moved when she left the centre.
Mary also visited the Karen Organisation School, which is for refugee children also predominantly from Myanmar. Apparantly many among them are from the Karen tribe in the north of Myanmar and they showed up in their colorful traditional costumes.
Actually Mary's visit was on one of the days off, but the children showed up nevertheless to greet their new and very temporary substitute, Mary. She cruised around the children and helped them a little in their homework. As thanks she got a basket made from recycled weeklies.

But this visit is also about promoting Danish commerce and in that capacity Mary attended a gala dinner for Danish and Malaysian business representatives. Here she presented a diploma on behalf of the Danish Export Association and she gave a speech, including the Malaysian proverb mentioned earlier in this thread.
The audience applauded and Mary smiled. "Did you really understand it"?

All this took place at Grand Hyatt Hotel, at the same time on the floor below Mette-Marit was busy presenting the Impact Award. Present there was also Barbara Bush.

Ulrik Ulriksen also interviewed Mette-Marit about her work for women's rights. In the interview relevant to this thread, she had this to say about Mary: "First of all I'll like to say that I have a tremendous respect for Denmarks Crown Princess Mary. I'd like to start with that because it means a lot to me to emphasize that. She's an incredible competent and nice representative for Denmark. You can be proud of the Crown Princess in a lot of ways".

Q: You work for preventing HIV and AIDS in spreading and Crown Princess Mary work on putting focus on reproductive health and to improve conditions in general for young women. These are areas that are interconnected. Could one imagine a Norwegian-Danish co-operation between you and Crown Princess Mary in regards to the subjects in question? (Yes, that's a big mouthful, but that's what he said)!
MM: "I have a lot of respect for the work Crown Princess Mary is doing in that area. I'm confident we will work together in the future in our respective fields. Just as we have in other ways".

(*) I'm a little surprised about the refugees from Myanmar. I had thought that with the political changes presently going on in Myanmar the number of refugees would be dropping. But these are perhaps mainly economic refugees?

Last edited:
Nice video of Mary holding such a good speech,we should also congratulate her on her ability of saying something in Malay that was understood by the people who speak the language!
She seems very committed to all the charities that she supports and she also gets them some much-needed publicity! The charity organisations need a face,a voice,someone who speaks up for them and talks about the cause so that even people who do not care for that organisation know about it because a famous person has talked about it and supports their efforts.
Also, it is interesting to read what Mette-Marit had said about Mary´s charity work, it is lovely that she wants to say "thank you,well done" to CP Mary in such a nice way. It is always good to receive some credit for your work and I am sure that Mary was happy to read/hear what CP Mette-Marit has said about her work in Billed Bladet #23!

(*) I'm a little surprised about the refugees from Myanmar. I had thought that with the political changes presently going on in Myanmar the number of refugees would be dropping. But these are perhaps mainly economic refugees?

Yes, the economy of Burma/Myanmar is very bad, they have very little tourism and the people are rather poor! The military government has ruled the country in a bad way,not only because of restricting human rights but also because they did not allow free trade and tourism that could create a lot of jobs & sources of income for many. My sister has visited the country twice and she liked the country & people a lot,but the poverty and political situation are depressing.

Thanks for the background info, Blauerengel. :flowers:

thank you a lot muhler for this interesting resume of marys (and mettemarits) days in malaysia :)

mary is definitely an incredible competent and lovely representative for our country! she has given a large interview to her og nu magazine about her trip. i will buy it and give a little resume :)

Yes, the economy of Burma/Myanmar is very bad, they have very little tourism and the people are rather poor! The military government has ruled the country in a bad way,not only because of restricting human rights but also because they did not allow free trade and tourism that could create a lot of jobs & sources of income for many. My sister has visited the country twice and she liked the country & people a lot,but the poverty and political situation are depressing.
I visited the country several times and from my - I admit egoistical - point of view the lack of tourism was part of the country's charm. And the poverty I saw seemed less drastic than in other more industrialized Asian countries I visited (e.g. India, Malaysia, Bangkok). People in general had little but there were no beggars, no people living on the street (probably because the military arrested anyone who did).
Since 2010 the country has changed dramatically, I could hardly believe it when I visited in 2011. But they have still a long way to go.

Muhler
Does the article say since when the refugees are in Malaysia, Muhler? Karen and Chin are discriminated ethnic minority groups and probably did not leave the country for economic reasons alone.

Last edited:
I visited the country several times and from my - I admit egoistical - point of view the lack of tourism was part of the country's charm. And the poverty I saw seemed less drastic than in other more industrialized Asian countries I visited (e.g. India, Malaysia, Bangkok). People in general had little but there were no beggars, no people living on the street (probably because the military arrested anyone who did).
Since 2010 the country has changed dramatically, I could hardly believe it when I visited in 2011. But they have still a long way to go.

Does the article say since when the refugees are in Malaysia, Muhler?Karen and Chin are discriminated minority groups in this multi-ethnic state and probably did not leave the country for economic reasons alone.

Thanks for your background info, Ricarda.

The article doesn't state for how long the refugees have been there. Some must be very recent, since they are being registered. Others must have been there for at least some time, since they have a school. - And a school that on top of that appears to be aimed at a specific minority, the Karen.

new pictures from May 28, she was holding a speech
Picture 1 - Picture 2 - Picture 3 - Picture 4 - Picture 5 - Picture 6 -
Picture 7 - Picture 8 - Picture 9 - Picture 10 - Picture 11

following pictures are (I think) from the VIP reception for Leaders in Global Development at Petronas Towers (unfortunately very watermarked)
Picture 1 - Picture 2 - Picture 3

She met CP Mette-Marit there and they were leaving together :flowers:
Picture 1 - Picture 2 - Picture 3 - Picture 4 - Picture 5
Great to see them together!

Last edited:
thanks fairy tale for the latest news and pics.

Back
Top Bottom