Villa Schonenberg, Brussels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cathérine Bergeyck

Heir Presumptive
the home of Astrid and Lorenz: Schonenberg

Attachments

• 00.jpg
    00.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 8,971
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 6,523
where the prince and princess live?

The newly constructed Villa Schonbrunn in Brussels.

Actually I think that the name of their home is villa Schonenberg (and I think that calling it villa Schonbrunn as the great imperial summer palace in Vienna would be sign of bad taste.. I think Lalla Meriem got confused with all this similar names, eheh).
The villa is inside the royal domain of Laeken, isn't it?

great find MAfan, I had never seen that Villa. I confess I expected it very much more understated.

Actually I think that the name of their home is villa Schonenberg (and I think that calling it villa Schonbrunn as the great imperial summer palace in Vienna would be sign of bad taste.. I think Lalla Meriem got confused with all this similar names, eheh).
The villa is inside the royal domain of Laeken, isn't it?

Shonenberg, indeed. Thank you for correcting me. Yes, it is in the royal domain.

I think for a Princess and an Archduchess that it's a pretty normal place. I wonder if it was paid for by the state or if it was paid for by Lorenz with his salary from his various jobs.

I assume it was paid for by the dotation royale, like the villa of Laurent was too (and all residences of the royals in Belgium I might add).
I however don't think that most Austrian cousins of Lorenz live in villa's of this size, the Habsburg family is not rich, it lost most after WWI and since there are so many of them the money and possessions that were still owned by them, had to be divided between the many children of emperor Karl and empress Zita. Most of these children have large families too, as do the grand children.

Shonenberg, indeed. Thank you for correcting me. Yes, it is in the royal domain.

I think for a Princess and an Archduchess that it's a pretty normal place. I wonder if it was paid for by the state or if it was paid for by Lorenz with his salary from his various jobs.

Would you sleep better if you knew?

Actually,it was a bit of both worlds.
Astrid and Lorenz get a dotation from the State plus his work,it could have done nicely.

But since the Villa is in the Royal Domain I would say it is normal that the Royal Dotation paid it and owns it. If not, that would mean that they can sell it whenever and to whoever they want. And if they couldn't sell, that would mean that Archduke Lorenz has done a present to the belgian state..

Would you sleep better if you knew?

Actually,it was a bit of both worlds.
Astrid and Lorenz get a dotation from the State plus his work,it could have done nicely.

I am fully aware that Astrid receives funds from the state and that Lorenz also works full time. I find Lorenz's commitment to earning a living and providing for the education, support and future of his children to be commendable.

No, I would not sleep easier knowing. You misunderstand the nature of my question. I really don't have a problem with the state paying for the accommodation of Astrid and her family because Astrid is always working for Belgium. I was merely curious because I wonder who will be able to reside in the residence when Astrid and Lorenz no longer live there. If Lorenz paid for it I would assume the lease/ownership would pass to their children if not then someone else. That was the only reason I asked.

FYI: Schonenberg is the old name of the castle of Laken

If you go on google maps you can see how close Villa Schonenberg is to the main Palace and Belvedere Castle, I'm quite surprised how close they all live to each other. If you put google maps on street view you can see the road the Villa is on and a tiny bit of the Villa itself through the hedge, there seems to be another building with the villa that we haven't seen on the pics. I'd post a pic of what google maps shows but am not sure how to.

how many of the children live at home?
Not the right topic, but there's only one, the youngest, Laetitia-Maria.

Prince Amedeo is working in New York,
Princess Maria-Laura is working in China
Prince Joachim is studying in Milan
and Princess Luisa-Maria is studying at Sevenoaks School, in England

But I immagine they come back often to Belgium.

On February 16, 2014, His Royal Highness Prince Amedeo of Belgium, Archduke of Austria-Este and his fiancée Elisabetta posed for the press at Villa Schonenberg.

Back
Top Bottom