It was built in 1830 in the territory of Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat. It was acquired by David-Désiré Pollonais in 1850. It received many different famous personalities at that time until Pollanais heirs sold the villa and its fourteen hectares of garden to the second King of Belgium, King Leopold II in 1904.
Series of expansions were made including a winter garden, stables and garden landscaping. 5 years later, the King died and after the war it was purchased by Alexandre Marnier-Lapostolle, owner of the liqueur Grand Marnier in 1922. It stayed in the family for almost 100 years and in 2016, Grand Marnier group fell under the ownership of Italian distiller Campari, the villa went with it too.
The villa is now going to be with its new owner by October as it reportedly sold for 200 million euros.