The Royal Palace, Brussels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you for posting those pictures LadyLeana.:) It's a nice home, but smaller than what I thought it would be. I guess when I think of royalty, I automatically think of huge palaces as being their homes.

Is the palace this year also open to the public? I am going to travel to Brussels in August, and I want to visit the palace!

Is the palace this year also open to the public? I am going to travel to Brussels in August, and I want to visit the palace!

Monday 26th July 2010 - Sunday 5th September 2010. :)

Is the admission free?

Yes the admisson is free. But unfortunately there are also no audio gudies or guided tours probably because it's free entrance. You can however buy guide books and postcards in the Entrance Hall of the Palace.
Also worth a Visit is the Bellevue Museum next to the Palace.

Less than 2 weeks left for a visit to the royal palace. If one of you is at close quarters, I can only recommend it. ;) The renovated rooms look superb and the newly acquired art by Michaël Borremans suits the palace well. Great idea to portrait the lackeys.

Picture details
Picture details

Video clip of the opening back in July.
Videozone

Yesterday a massive hole appeared out of nowhere in front of the royal palace in Brussels.
http://i43.tinypic.com/2z8aq1e.jpg
Thankfully nobody was injured, the waterpipeline to the palace is damaged tough. It's the street where the parade on national day takes place and during receptions the place is used as car park. A spokesperson of Brussels' administration admitted that the street was in very bad condition and they will fix it now.
Weg zakt in aan koninklijk paleis (Brussel) - Het Nieuwsblad

Is it known what did cause the hole?

What an amazing and highly interesting documentary on the Royal Palace of Brussels!

On their first day on the job, Philippe and Mathilde received their guests in the Palace in Brussels.

The weekly meeting between the King and Prime Minister will also take place there. (The PM can walk from his office to the Palace)
And Minister of Pensions, Alexander De Croo, said that Philippe will be working from the Palace in Brussels. Like his uncle did. Albert used to receive a lot of guests in Laeken.
Philippe and Mathilde seem to want to keep the Castle in Laeken really as their home and go to Brussels to work.

From the 1st of August until the 8th of September, you can visit the Palace.
http://www.brussels.be/artdet.cfm?id=4843&agendaid=742

Last edited:
good choice. you need a place to get away from work.

I visited Brussels last weekend for some Christmas shopping and saw the Royal Palace at night just as it is in *Mara*'s photos! It's such a magnificent building and the Christmas tree is enormous - the whole scene is stunning! It was very quiet outside the palace, not many people about so the whole experience was quite surreal.

I visited Brussels last weekend for some Christmas shopping and saw the Royal Palace at night just as it is in *Mara*'s photos! It's such a magnificent building and the Christmas tree is enormous - the whole scene is stunning! It was very quiet outside the palace, not many people about so the whole experience was quite surreal.

The first time I "saw" it was in a light fog. We'd got lost and a kind person redirected us. In minutes we were in the crowded Grand Place area (and in a lovely restaurant recommended by same kind person).

It is so close to the hub-bub but is never overwhelmed. I love Brussels and this area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, but sadly rather empty and unfurnished !

I quite agree, it looks definitely empty and unfurnished. One just hopes that the many other rooms instead are furnished.

Yes I too was struck at how bare it looked,and also I didn't realise there was a throne room at the palace,which seems to have been set up for a conference.

I'm not sure if there is an actual throne there, but anyway that's the way the room is called.
IIRC it is used as the location for the concerts hosted by the Royal Family, especially the annual Christmas concert. And of course it was there that King Albert II signed his abdication in 2013.
In the past, it was also used as the location for the civil wedding of Queen Baudouin and Queen Fabiola and also, if I don't mistake, for Queen Albert II and Queen Paola's civil wedding.

I
In the past, it was also used as the location for the civil wedding of Queen Baudouin and Queen Fabiola and also, if I don't mistake, for Queen Albert II and Queen Paola's civil wedding.

No the Wedding of King Albert and Queen Paola took place in another smaller room. Sometimes also State Banquets are held in the Throne Room.

Last edited:
Thanks for the correction, I had a vague remembrance about the exact room where it took place and wasn't sure about it.
Instead, did Princess Astrid's civil wedding take place at the Royal Palace as well?

Thanks for the correction, I had a vague remembrance about the exact room where it took place and wasn't sure about it.
Instead, did Princess Astrid's civil wedding take place at the Royal Palace as well?
No. Princess Astrid's civil Wedding took place in the Town Hall at the Grand Place ike for her brothers.

I went into the Royal Palace two weeks ago at 6 pm for a Reception.
If you are in Brussels please go , it is a must , entrance free , and high Security. The Palace is open to the Public until 11 ? of September , closed on Monday and attention last entrance at about 16 pm.
You can buy a lot of postcards , books etc...

Last edited:
Prince Albert and Princess Paola Civil Wedding in the Empire Room of the Royal Palace.

King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola Civil Weddding in the Salle du Trone of the RP

Philippe, Astrid and Laurent 's Civil Wedding at the City Hall of Brussels.

King Leopold III and King Albert Ii's Abdication in the Salle du Trône.

Back
Top Bottom