The Palace, Greenhouses and Park on the Royal Domain of Laeken, Brussels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
some more pics of Laken castle, home of Filip & Mathilde and their children

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 394
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 365
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 382
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 327
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 352
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 319
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 400
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 359
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 393
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 550
more pics from laken (rtbf)

Attachments

• 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 572
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 691
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 406
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 509
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 395
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 545
Hannelore said:
more pics from laken (rtbf)
The palace never ceases to amaze me with its beauty!!!!! do you know how many room there is in this castle??? ^___^

hillary_nugent said:
The palace never ceases to amaze me with its beauty!!!!! do you know how many room there is in this castle??? ^___^
I have no idea but a lot anyway :)

I think Filip & Mathilde live in the left wing.

hillary_nugent said:
And what happens to the rest of the palace? ^__^
It's used for official occasions. Just a part of the palace, and sometimes the greenhouses too.

The park is private.

a glimpse of the interior of Philippe & Mathilde's home. Looks tastefull and cozy IMO

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 725
Laken, Home Of Filip And Mathilde

1.2. castle of Laken, seen from the road.

3.4.5. the royal stables. The carriage you see here is the one used at the wedding of Leopold III and Astrid of Sweden. During a few weeks every year the greenhouses of Laken are open to the public, the stabels can be visited as well then.

6.7. more of the castle

8. the orangerie

9. connexion between the castle and the greenhouses

Attachments

• 00.jpg
    00.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 1,338
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 341
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 487
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 389
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 449
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,000
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 405
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 388
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 443
Laken : The Home Of Filip And Mathilde

1.2.3.4. The park and greenhouses

5. Inside the wintergarden

6.7. On the grounds of Laken is a cute little house that queen Elisabeth (Filip's greatgranmother) used to sculpt and paint in. When she died in 1965 it was kept the way it was as a memory of her.

Attachments

• 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 430
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 334
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 307
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 303
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 317
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 384
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 436
  • 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 423
Now is this the playhouse that one of the Queen's had built for her children? Is it where we saw Elisabeth celebrate her first birthday? What a charming house in a beautiful setting!

Emily said:
Now is this the playhouse that one of the Queen's had built for her children? Is it where we saw Elisabeth celebrate her first birthday? What a charming house in a beautiful setting!

yes, it is, Emily. i believe it is called 'les chalet des princes' ;)

Yes, It's le Chalet des Princes. Queen Astrid had it built for her children Joséphine-Charlotte, Baudouin and Albert, after a playhouse she had herself in Sweden.

Elisabeth celebrated her 1st birthday there and it's actually quite big (there are little bedrooms where the children can sleep etc.)

BelgaPhoto publishes some aerial photos of the Belgian Royal Palaces taken on 23rd April, 2006

Illustration picture shows an aerial view on the greenhouse ( Serres ) of the Royal Castle in Laeken / Laken , near Brussels
Sunday 23 April 2006.

the Royal Palace of Brussels

on the 3rd photo of the castle in Laeken, there is another building in the upper right corner. I wonder if that's Belvedere, where the King and Queen lives. Or is their castle further away?

kristinvu said:
on the 3rd photo of the castle in Laeken, there is another building in the upper right corner. I wonder if that's Belvedere, where the King and Queen lives. Or is their castle further away?

Yep, that's Belvédère.

Does anybody know who built the Palace of Laeken? I assume it was an Austrian archduke? The royal serres were ordered by King Leopold II I suppose? Is the chinese pavillion still used by the royal family? It would be a nice location for a photoshoot (the late Queen Marie of Roumania would know what to to: pose in a kimono ;))

Last edited:
the castle of Laeken was built in 1772 by Albert von Sachsen-Teschen, the Governor of the Austrian Netherlands as his residence. After the French take-over of power in the south it was purchased by Napoleon in 1804. After the battle of Waterloo in 1815 it became the property of King William I, king of the united Netherlands. Another change of owner occurred 15 years later in 1830 when Belgium became independent. King Leopold I received it as a gift from the Belgian state. After a fire in 1890 it was rebuilt and enlarged. It became the permanent residence of the royal family during the reign of King Leopold III.

more info: Royal Palace of Laeken - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by a moderator:
I've visited the greenhouse and the royal palace when I was little, It's really beautiful especially the greenhouse is gorgeous and unic in the world

I didn' t know that Laeken is also opened to the public. What months would that be? I think it should be even more impressive then the royal palace.

Marengo said:
I didn' t know that Laeken is also opened to the public. What months would that be? I think it should be even more impressive then the royal palace.

Ther greenhouses of Laeken are always open for a number of days in the spring (i believe in late April/May) but it are only the greenhouses and not the Castle.

Monarchie - Greenhouses in Laeken

Here Information about the Opening times this year

Tourism Wallonia - Brussels (Belgium) : VISIT THE ROYAL GREENHOUSES IN LAEKEN

The greenhouse is open from this week

Go visit if you can I've been there years ago and its beautiful

recommendation

isabelle16 said:
The greenhouse is open from this week

Go visit if you can I've been there years ago and its beautiful

I recommend everybody to go. I have been there last saturday. What amazing beautifull azalea's they have. Whow! I am glad I could do this, this year.

Here is a video of the greenhouse
First there are parts of Prince Filip visiting Libanon and Princess Astrid
But the part from the greenhouse starts at 05.40
It's beautiful
Here it is:

bekijk deel 1

I once saw pictures in a Belgian magazine (I think it was Story) of the swimming pool that is located in the greenhouse.
It looked really nice, like a subtropical swimming pool. I couldn't find them on the internet.
Does someone have them?

I saw photos of the interior of the Greenhouses and I was stunned. It looked like an enchanted storybook.

The grounds of Laeken were idyllic as well. You'd have to drag me out of there if I ever went in person, I'd never want to leave!!

Not a royal residence, but related to that:

Het Laatste Nieuws has an article on the state of the railway station at Laken Palace. Apparently it looks rather desolate. Windows are thrown in and people put grafiti on the walls. Every time they put in new windows they are thrown in again. They can't put a fence around it or camera's since the building is an official monument.

Article in Dutch here.

You can see all Laeken residences with Google Earth (I haven't tried the others yet). I thought the image would be more blurred, like military zones or something (since nobody is allowed to fly over Laeken at all), but the satellite gives a nice enough image.

Back
Top Bottom