St. Michael and St. Gudula Cathedral, Brussels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From this wikipedia page:

The St. Michael and St. Gudula Cathedral is located at the Treurenberg hill in Brussels, Belgium. In French, it is called Cathédrale Saints-Michel-et-Gudule and in Dutch Sint-Michiels- en Sint-Goedelekathedraal, usually shortened to "Sint-Goedele".
In 1047, Lambert II, Count of Leuven founded a chapter in this church and organized the transportation of the relics of Saint Gudula, before then housed in Saint Gaugericus Church on Saint Gaugericus Island. The church patron saints, archangel St. Michael and the martyr St. Gudula, are also the patron saints of the city of Brussels.
In the thirteenth century, the cathedral was renovated in the Gothic style. The choir was constructed between 1226 and 1276. The facade was completed in the mid-fifteenth century.
It is an archiepiscopal cathedral of the Archbishop of Mechlin-Brussels, the Primate of Belgium, currently Cardinal Godfried Danneels. It is located in the national capital and therefore often used for Catholic ceremonies of national interest, such as royal marriages and state funerals.
The south tower contains a 49-bell carillon by the Royal Eijsbouts bell foundry on which Sunday concerts are often given.

Could you imagine how it was difficult to organise King Baudouin's Funerals when the Choir was closed because of restauration.But it was the King's Will, such as Queen Fabiola's.

There are several royals also buried at the cathedral ,though not sure if their burials are still there.

Archduke Ernest of Austria,Governor of the Netherlands who died in 1595.
Albert VII, Archduke of Austria Governor of the Netherlands who died in 1621
Infanta Isabella Clara Eugenia of Spain, Archduchess of Austria who died in 1633

You are right , their 3 coffins are under the Choir.
I saw them when I was Official Guide of the City of Brussels. Now the place is closed.

It's lovely...magnificent in fact...but appeared somewhat less large when I watched the respective funerals for King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola, and also old video of their wedding.

The Cathedrals facade decorated in mourning for the funeral of Archduke Albert ,Regent of the Low Countries in 1621.

616px-Deuil_Archiduc_Albert_Sainte_Gudule.jpg

His wife Archduchess Isabella went very day at the Cathredral praying to have a Child She married late Prince Albert a before Cardinal and they never had Children.

His wife Archduchess Isabella went very day at the Cathredral praying to have a Child She married late Prince Albert a before Cardinal and they never had Children.

I found this picture depicting the Funeral procession for Archduke Albert VII.

640px-Funerals_Albert_VII%2C_Archduke_of_Austria_%281623%29_Funeral_procession_for_Albert_VII%2C_Archduke_of_Austria.jpg

The reign of Albert and Isabella was a great Moment in our History .

A tour of the Cathedral of St. Michael and St. Gudula

It only became a Co Cathedral in 1962 and the previous collegiate church was elevated to cathedral status.
It had also undergone major restoration in the 19th century as it had been looted and badly damaged by French Sans-culottes in the mid 1790's and was pillaged by Calvinists in 1579.

The baptism of Prince Louis-Philippe of Belgium, son of Leopold I took place in St. Gudula's Church in 1833.

625px-Doop_Louis_Philipp.jpg

Thank you for the picture , this little Prince will pass away et will be buried in the Collegiale because the Necropole of Laeken was not buit or are not ready.

Thank you for the picture , this little Prince will pass away et will be buried in the Collegiale because the Necropole of Laeken was not buit or are not ready.

Yes the coffin of the 1 year old Prince was buried firstly atthe vault of the Dukes of Brabant at the Collegiate but was later transferred to the Royal crypt of Notre-Dame de Laeken upon the completion of that church.

Back
Top Bottom