Villa Mirage, St Maxime (France)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
Villa Mirage

Villa Mirage is the Royal Family's villa in St Maxime, France.
The Royal Family inherited the Villa upon the death of Prince Bertil.

Are there any pictures of the villa St Maxime in France? I could not find any in this thread. The villa is owned by the King, right? Didn't Prince Bertil also have a house somewhere in the south of France? What happened to that?

Another question, where did Prince Carl-Johan, uncle of the King, live, or Prince Carl Bernadotte? What about Prince Carl sr. and Princess Ingeborg? Or prince Sigvard and his son Lennart?

Last edited by a moderator:
Marengo said:
Are there any pictures of the villa St Maxime in France? I could not find any in this thread. The villa is owned by the King, right? Didn't Prince Bertil also have a house somewhere in the south of France? What happened to that?
Its the same villa. The royal family inherited it after prince Bertil died. maybe princess Lilian still formally owns it, but she has given the rf right to use it

Last edited:
Svensk Damtidning has an article about Villa Mirage. During the last years it has been written that the king wants to sell Villa Mirage, because it is so easily photographed by the paparazzis. But the king said to Svensk Damtidning in December 2014:
- We are there now and then, but not as often as we would hope to. We take care of it as well as we can and are very proud to keep it alive. There is very much nostalgia and memories there and it would be very difficult to move away from there. We are not selling it.
Svensk Damtidning writes that prince Bertil bought the villa in 1946 and it was the free zone to Bertil and Lilian for so many years. They spent there some months a year and it was as much home to them as Villa Solbacken in Stockholm.
From Villa Mirage is ten minutes walk to the boule square and to the banana tree, which bears Bertil's name. Villa Mirage has seven rooms. The open fireplace is used in the spring and autumn, Bertil and Lilian had it built to the Villa. The big living room is the heart of the Villa. You go there through beautiful folding doors. The dining room has high windows to the Mediterranean. When you go upstairs, there are three bedrooms, they all have beautiful view to the Mediterranean.
The king and queen appreciate what Bertil and Lilian did with Villa Mirage, but during the last years the Villa has been renovated a little. Lilian loved to decorate with pastel colors, and they are still there, queen Silvia is also taken with pastel colors, she has told to her friends that they make the Villa cozy. Queen Silvia goes a few times a year with her female friends to Villa Mirage, for a girl-weekend.
And Svensk Damtidning writes also that because Carl Philip and Sofia have spent so much time at the Villa during the last years, maybe they will take over the Villa after the king.

I believe currently Silvia's family is there. They royal couple seems to be very good at sharing it with the entire family. I have seen photos of Sommerlaths and Dincklages there.

It is a nice looking place on the outside except for the back in the beach area, it looks a bit dangerous to me with lack of a real beach to walk on and for children to play in. Seeing how careful Prince Carl is with his son made me wonder just how safe this part of the home really is.

It maybe doesn’t look as polished as we are use to royal residences looking but then again its a private residence not an official one. I hope its left to either Vic as Queen or the family as a whole rather than just to CP.

IDK it seems dirty looking when you get to the beach

Svensk Damtidning's article about Villa Mirage at its latest issue.
Villa Mirage has a very special place in the hearts of the members of the royal family. The villa was bought by prince Bertil in 1946. Princess Lilian told often how happy she and Bertil were there, they lived there many months during the year. Nowadays the villa belongs to king Carl Gustaf and queen Silvia. The queen arranges there meetings for her friends every year. The king likes to sit at the private beach and read a detective story. Prince Carl Philip and princess Sofia like Villa Mirage also very much. The fact is that the quartet - the king, the queen, Carl Philip and Sofia - usually travel down to Villa Mirage to spend Easter there. But this year has been different and the royal family has not travelled to Villa Mirage due to the corona virus.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Last edited:
Wouldn't be surprised if this ends up with CP, the King seems determine to give CP as much as he still can that would have been due to him as heir.

Svensk Damtidning writes that Villa Mirage has been now empty for a year and a half. And there are not going to be any trips abroad for a long time.
According to Svensk Damtidning the king has had for several years the help of a local couple who have looked after the house and the garden, and who at least previously lived in the "gatehouse". People have prepared the house and filled the fridge with food for the arrival of the royal family.
Villa Mirage has seven rooms. Inside the glazed sliding doors is the living room, which is both a living room and a dining room. An arch separates the dining area from the rest of the room. A large bedroom with balcony and two smaller guest bedrooms are upstairs, all face the water.
Kungaparets huskris – mitt i pandemin _*Svensk Dam

Princess Birgitta has said to Expressen (paywall article), that the King perhaps is going to sell Villa Mirage.

The king is considering selling his holiday paradise on the French Riviera.
Villa Mirage was Prince Bertil and Princess Lilian's sanctuary when they were forced to keep their love a secret.
The neighboring house was recently sold for SEK 103 million.
- They don't really benefit from it that much, says Princess Birgitta.
Kungen planerar att sälja prins Bertils hus på Franska rivieran _ Nyheter _ Expressen

Svensk Damtidning quotes Expressen's article:
Birgitta tells Expressen:
- I know my brother might want to sell it. They don't really have much use for the house. But it's a shame. If it's done, I think it's a shame. But okay.
What was the perfect retreat for Bertil and Lilian in the 1940s and 1950s doesn't work so well for the Swedish royal family of 2023. Photographers come more and more close, and can now take their pictures from very far away. And only the low stone wall separates Villa Mirage from the popular beach next door.
It is well known that the royal family finds it difficult to feel undisturbed, and the king and queen always take the boat out into the bay when they go swimming.
The heavily trafficked location, with sometimes almost standing traffic queues, has also become a growing problem. Birgitta tells Expressen that the king is disturbed by the number of cars and by the fact that the road to Saint-Tropez runs so close to the front of the house.
- It's now almost on the main road. There is so much traffic.
Svensk Damtidning contacted Margareta Thorgren regarding Birgitta's words in Expressen. Thorgren cannot confirm the information, but has asked to return to it.
Prinsessan Birgitta avslöjar_ ”Kungen vill sälja Villa Mirage” _*Svensk Dam

It would be a shame bu equally as GC and Silvia get older I guess it makes some sense they may consider selling. None of the children seem to be particularly attached to the house, I can't recall seeing Victoria or Madeline and their families going there very much. I can also see the sense in Birgitta's comments about how the area has changed the traffic, the lack of privacy etc.

Back
Top Bottom