The Royal Palace of Stockholm, Stockholm

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
acid_rain3075 said:
Oh wow! How depressing! This is possibly the ugliest Palace I have ever seen! Just my opinion of course!:D

have you seen the Royal Palace in Amsterdam?...that is the ugliest palace ever (in my opinion):eek:

I do however like the Royal Palace in Stockholm:eek:

Huddo said:
Oh wow! How depressing! This is possibly the ugliest Palace I have ever seen! Just my opinion of course!:D

It's not that ugly for some administrative building but it is ugly for Royal building!

acid_rain3075 said:
Many Swedes think it's depressing too.

From original pictures of the castle it was yellow. Sometime in the late 19th century it was painted brown.

There is a movement to try and restore the yellow colour, but it costs a lot of money, plus many people think the brown colour fits in better with the parliament, opera house and other nearby brown buildings.

Unfortunately I can't find any pix of the castle in yellow here on the Internet. Maybe someone else knows a link ??

Daneborn said:
Many Swedes think it's depressing too.

From original pictures of the castle it was yellow. Sometime in the late 19th century it was painted brown.

There is a movement to try and restore the yellow colour, but it costs a lot of money, plus many people think the brown colour fits in better with the parliament, opera house and other nearby brown buildings.

Unfortunately I can't find any pix of the castle in yellow here on the Internet. Maybe someone else knows a link ??
So, why did they paint it brown? I think it would look better in Yellow! Brown is just not the color for a palace in my opinion!

Here´s Stockholm castle from above

photo from eniro

acid_rain3075 said:
So, why did they paint it brown? I think it would look better in Yellow! Brown is just not the color for a palace in my opinion!
I believe it was because those in charge of decisions thought it would look better with a straight brown line at the seaside, with the castle, the parliament and the opera lined up next to each other.

If you look at the above satellite pic from Yennie, in the lower right corner you can find the Tessinska Palatset. (Tessin's palace). It was built at the same time and by the same architect / constructor, and with the same colour.

http://www.ab.lst.se/templates/InformationPage____2124.asp

Tessinska Palatset still holds the yellow colour. (Since it's behind the castle it doesn't ''destroy'' the brown view, that's probably why it could keep the yellow colour).

Interiors from Tessinska: http://www.ab.lst.se/upload/dokument/lansstyrelsen_och_lanet/tessinska/TP_bilder.pdf

Today the County Governor lives at the Tessinska Palatset.

Throne Room?

I was just wondering if the royal palace in Stockholm had an official "Throne Room" still. And if it does is it used anymore? And if not which room was it or is it now?

Rikssalen (the state hall) is the official throne room at the royal palace whith the silver throne which history goes back to Queen Kristina.
The King sat in the silver throne every time at the succesion ceremony and the opening of the parliment until 1975. It is no longer used since then and the opening of the parliment has since then been hosted in the Parliment House (riksdagen).

I dont think the silver throne will be used ever more even if I really hope we will se Victoria in the throne in some state ceremony when the time of the next succesion are here.

The name of The royal familys earlier Prince Bertils villa in France is Villa Mirage. St Maxime is the village Villa Mirage belongs to.

The kings uncle Carl Johan Bernadotte living in skåne(southest part of sweden). The name of his villa is Kungsberga.

Talking about Throne Room I've heard in Stockholm Royal Palace guide that in 20th century the kings aren't crowned and this room haven't been used for a long time. I hope that I heard right :)

The last King who was crowned in sweden was Oscar II and that was 1872.
Remember that the coronation was in Storkyrkan (stockholm cathedral) and not in the thronehall. In the thronehall the king sitting on the throne did some speaches and the speaker of the parliment sworned the parliments loyalty to the new monarch.

That ceremony in the thronehall has been used also when Gustaf V, Gustaf VI Adolf and the current Carl XVI Gustaf started their period as the monarch.

I don´t know if the ceremony will be used when Victoria step up on the throne. I think it is the government who have "the last word".

The thronehall is still in use for other events than this.

Where is the sandbox located? I've seen arieal views but I've never actually seen it, if they still have it, if so, why? It seems to publically located to play in it in the 1980s

there will be renoavation on stockholm castle outer wall for many years to come

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks

Thanks for the postings about the Royal Palace and Drottingsholm! They always were on my must see list when we go, now even more so. Also want to see Gripsholm and tour the Royal Mews (strange dream about that place)

I'm loving The Royal Chapel.

Amazing views of the beautiful Royal Chapel,I wonder if the RF will use it over the Christmas period?

The silver throne in the Hall of State was made in the German city of Augsburg. :throne:

King Gustav III's State Bedchamber contains three elaborately decorated cabinets in ebony, which were made in Paris, France in 1784 by the cabinetmaker Adam Weisweiler.

From the court Facebook:
Today, some of the Royal Palace's 964 windows which consists of a total of 31 600 windowpanes, are washed.
https://scontent-b-fra.xx.fbcdn.net...307_700212960037619_7078885019230449899_n.jpg

LadyFinn, This picture reminds me of Mother's occupation. She is a housecleaner.
One of her favorite duties is to clean windows.
Could she get employed at the Royal Palace?

Svensk Damtidning told a few weeks ago about a "secret" room at the Royal Palace. It is crown princess Margareta's garden room. The reporter of Svensk Damtidning was allowed to visit the room. It is like the time has stopped there. There are still Margareta's shoes she used there, and some flowerpots and a waterjug. Margareta loved flowers and missed her homeland's gardens. And so she made a garden room to the attic of the Palace. There she could spend some time in her own. There was already a winter garden in the Palace with exotic flowers but Margareta wanted a room where she could work with soil, water and plants without needing to be bothered about how the room looked like. So it was decorated very practically. After Margareta's death the room has been left like it was when she spend time there.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

LadyFinn, This is an absolutely lovely photograph.
It may have not been everyday a Crown Princess had a garden room. Margareta definitely did! :rose2::rose2::rose2:

The Audience Chamber of the State Apartments contains a canopy embroidered in Milan around 1500 at the request of the Sforza family.

Svensk Damtidning told a few weeks ago about a "secret" room at the Royal Palace. It is crown princess Margareta's garden room. The reporter of Svensk Damtidning was allowed to visit the room. It is like the time has stopped there. There are still Margareta's shoes she used there, and some flowerpots and a waterjug. Margareta loved flowers and missed her homeland's gardens. And so she made a garden room to the attic of the Palace. There she could spend some time in her own. There was already a winter garden in the Palace with exotic flowers but Margareta wanted a room where she could work with soil, water and plants without needing to be bothered about how the room looked like. So it was decorated very practically. After Margareta's death the room has been left like it was when she spend time there.
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010070011Q14021474341982319

Last edited:
The Royal Palace is currently undergoing one of the most extensive restoration work in the modern era (from 2011 to 2036) - to replace and restore the stone on the castle facade.
The new colour can be seen now.
Kungliga slottets nya färg - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

Fasadrestaureringen av Stockholms slott - Putsen på Stockholms slott får en varmrosa kulör — Statens fastighetsverk
Translation

Video of the restoration work
http://streamio.com/api/v1/videos/5...?link=true&player_id=4c9b6854b35ea807b5000001

Last edited:
Sorry for my stupid question but is the restoration happening also on the external walls? )I mean those that can be seen from the city streets...

Back
Top Bottom