La Zarzuela Palace, Madrid

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looking at the aerial photo: the main part of the palace is the bit above the swimming pool, right? The part below the pool is also part of the palace: living areas? The part to the left looks like support buildings: garages, staff, etc? To the top left there appears to be helicopter landing areas and at the top there appears to be more support buildings. The Prince's Pavilion is not shown, correct?

Looking at the aerial photo: the main part of the palace is the bit above the swimming pool, right? The part below the pool is also part of the palace: living areas? The part to the left looks like support buildings: garages, staff, etc? To the top left there appears to be helicopter landing areas and at the top there appears to be more support buildings. The Prince's Pavilion is not shown, correct?

You are right Harold. The Prince and Princess of Asturias home is part of the Zarzuela's land, not shown here though.

Due to security issues it's difficult these days to obtain an aerial photograph of the whole Zarzuela complex.

Plus we must remember that the Zarzuela is the King's private residence and also due to security issues we won't be able to view the entire complex.

La Zarzuela is not really a palace but more a complex of buildings built on grounds originally belonging to the domains of El Pardo Palace. However the original hunting lodge is quite old (16th C), it has been (too) modernized in the 1960's. It almost looks like a brand new building and from the 17th C rococo interior little or nothing is left. That is a shame. For the rest it looks a very comfortable and private residence. It is understandable why King Juan Carlos preferred this one above other (much grander) royal residences.

Do we know if the King and Queen are moving to the main house, and if JC and Sofia are moving out?

Do we know if the King and Queen are moving to the main house, and if JC and Sofia are moving out?

No I believe King Juan Carlos/Queen Sofia and Princess Irene will continue to reside at Zarzuela and King Felipe,Queen Letizia and their daughters at their current modest dwelling.King Felipe VI has his office at Zarzuela and has use of all the official rooms.

No I believe King Juan Carlos/Queen Sofia and Princess Irene will continue to reside at Zarzuela and King Felipe,Queen Letizia and their daughters at their current modest dwelling.King Felipe VI has his office at Zarzuela and has use of all the official rooms.

Many thanks for the response. It probably makes sense, for now, for the domestic arrangements not to change. Depending on how things evolve re JC, these arrangements could be re-evaluated.

The paths look like they need to be repaired as soon as possible from the photos above.

The Zarzuela, a ghost palace?
Don Juan Carlos left his office in the Zarzuela palace a few months after he abdicated the Crown in his son Felipe, in June 2014. He never thought of what would happen, as he never thought abdicating would be an option and he was. In the life of the "Patron" - as Don Felipe affectionately calls it - nothing is as before. The separate lives of the marriage Bourbon and Greece, who spend a large part of the year traveling outside Spain each by their side, and the almost nonexistent family celebrations have turned the Palace of the Zarzuela into a mere shadow of what it was. Who really lives in Zarzuela?
https://okdiario.com/look/casa-real/2017/03/09/zarzuela-palacio-fantasma-27266

Does the palace have the portraits of the present king and queen somewhere?

The Kings moved into Zarzuela when they got married in 1962. They only became Kings in 1975. Franco used to live in El Pardo, when he died, they decided to stay in Zarzuela and use El Pardo as accommodation for State Guests.

The official residence for the Spanish Kings is the Royal Palace in Madrid, but it is too big and too expensive to stay there, hence it is only used for State Occasions.

All property is owned and administered by the Spanish State.

Did King Alfonso XIII and his predecessors live in the Royal Palace in Madrid ? It is indeed huge, probably one of the biggest in Europe.

Did King Alfonso XIII and his predecessors live in the Royal Palace in Madrid ? It is indeed huge, probably one of the biggest in Europe.

King Alfonso XIII and his predecessors lived in the Royal Palace of Madrid.

Does the palace have the portraits of the present king and queen somewhere?

I've never seen any but then again they don't reside at the main Zarzuela Palace ,personally I think the present King should have moved his residence elsewhere in 2014 and left Zarzuela as the private residence of Juan Carlos/Sofia and Irene.

I've never seen any but then again they don't reside at the main Zarzuela Palace ,personally I think the present King should have moved his residence elsewhere in 2014 and left Zarzuela as the private residence of Juan Carlos/Sofia and Irene.
It's not as if Felipe shares his house with his parents and aunt. He lives in a completely different house on the Zarzuela estate.

I was just hoping back in 2014 that the king would make a break from Zarzuela and leave it as his parents home.

I was just hoping back in 2014 that the king would make a break from Zarzuela and leave it as his parents home.

Where would he have moved to ? The Royal Famiily depends on the government to make any of the palaces available to them as residences. Besides, as other posters said, Felipe and his parents live in separate buildings within the Zarzuela domain.

Videos:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom