La Zarzuela Palace, Madrid

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not sure why its called a Palace as its the private residence of King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia and looks more like a Manor House. I really dislike the interior far too much wood paneling .

The Office used by queen Letizia is almost clinical and without any sentiment ,no photos or personal effects .

I was wondering if this is queen Letizia's actual office or is it a meeting room

https://images.app.goo.gl/V4KuoFk3RFL8SzWs6

I can't ever recall seeing the office of Queen Sofia?

The Office used by queen Letizia is almost clinical and without any sentiment ,no photos or personal effects .

I was wondering if this is queen Letizia's actual office or is it a meeting room

https://images.app.goo.gl/V4KuoFk3RFL8SzWs6

I can't ever recall seeing the office of Queen Sofia?

I don't think this is Letizia's office, but a conference room.
I don't think any pictures of Letizia and Sofia's offices ever appeared.
This is just my opinion, I may be wrong.

I'm not sure why its called a Palace as its the private residence of King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia and looks more like a Manor House. I really dislike the interior far too much wood paneling .

It is not just a private residence. As it was mentioned in the clip, the offices of the Royal Household are located there, so it is also a working building.

I believe Zarzuela would be better described as a "Palacete" rather than a "Palacio" in Spanish. Juan Carlos had the choice of living in El Pardo, which is a proper palace, but he declined it, which I think was a correct decision at the time. Besides, the King can always use the Royal Palace of Madrid for more solemn events like state dinners, investitures and receiving the credentials of foreign diplomats.

Spain is not short of royal palaces, but, understandbly, it is in the interest of the SRF to look frugal.

Last edited:
In this photo, taken today at the Zarzuela Palace when King Felipe VI received the President of Ghana, we can see in the background the house of Felipe and Letizia.
https://c9.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/G5c18697c/22053748_PzHSh.jpeg

I don't understand why King Felipe and Queen Letizia don't move into the Zarzuela Palace. King Juan Carlos is living in Abu Dhabi and I don't think he will ever return permanently to Spain. Queen Sofia is also frequently traveling and even if she stayed at the Palace, she could share it with the King and his family.

I don't understand why King Felipe and Queen Letizia don't move into the Zarzuela Palace. King Juan Carlos is living in Abu Dhabi and I don't think he will ever return permanently to Spain. Queen Sofia is also frequently traveling and even if she stayed at the Palace, she could share it with the King and his family.

Probably because in their current home they have more privacy and they can make a more normal family life.

Zarzuela is small, more a large house than a palace. The private area is now occupied by Sofía and Irene, but it is not such a large space, and in the building and the annexes there are offices and lounges where there are many workers, visitors and press when there are official events.

I don't think they have considered changing their residence, I think they like having the family space and the work space a little separated. In addition, to move to Zarzuela permanently they would have to make renovations, and neither the political nor the economic situation has been in recent years for large investments.

I think Felipe and Letizia will move when their daughters are older.
I believe that in the future Leonor will stay in the pavilion where they currently live and Felipe and Letizia will move to the main building of the Zarzuela Palace. Infanta Sofia is also due to move at that time to a wing of the Zarzuela Palace.
But currently a move of Felipe and Letizia and daughters to the main building is not urgent and they prefer to stay that way.

From what I read in Spanish newspapers years ago when I was a teen, Juan Carlos was offered the Royal Palace. Too big, is the largest palace in the world. Also was offered El Pardo Palace but this building was touched by the Franco curse.

The Francos used it as their home since it would be offensive to move the family to the Royal Palace. Franco's wife, a horrible and cruel person whom I recall stories from when I was a kid in the 1960s, said her family would occupy El Pardo for a thousand years. When King Juan Carlos took over, he evicted all of them and recovered the property to be used as the stay for foreign dignitaries.

He got stuck with the small Zarzuela palace Franco placed him in, and that actually saved his life years later. King Juan Carlos had installed his very own TV station to broadcast emergency messages. When the Franco army officers invaded the Courts and held elected officials' hostage, they forgot about capturing the King. He turned on his Zarzuela TV station on and ordered them to put their weapons down. And they did.

So that little palace entered history for saving Spain from a coup, or possibly a micro civil war. I left Spain permanently for the USA a few years after, but it was quite an event with democracy saved from the Zarzuela Palace

Last edited:
I'm sure that the gardens of Zarzuela are fantastic but sadly the Spanish Royal House is about 20 years behind the times and does not post photos of the gardens or grounds like others do.

Its a shame as I'm sure a lot of hard works goes into maintaining the lawns and gardens but so few get to actually see them.

I believe there's a complex of buildings on the Zarzuela estate ,as its a private residence we may never know the use of these buildings.
I believes there's also a chapel on the estate,though not sure if its used much.

Re the palace extension, I remember being here at the Royal forums, or maybe Netty's old forum? over 20 years ago or so when the house for the prince of Asturias was announced to be built in the grounds of the property and the floor plans were posted online.

Main reason for the extended property for Felipe was to stay within the grounds for security reasons. La Zarzuela palace location was a major player during the military takeover attempt we had back in the 80s. The military not just forgot the king and his family not just resided far away from the city, but Juan Carlos had his own mini-TV station installed to speak to the nation for any emergency. Had they captured the family in Madrid history would have changed completely in Spain and, my opinion, the post-coup nation without the king would have split in many separate parts by now.

I would have preferred Felipe to move back in the Palacio de Oriente or maybe to the La Granja Aranjuez palace and leave Zarzuela for other uses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom