La Almudaina Palace

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blog Real

Imperial Majesty
City
Lisboa
Country
Portugal
History:
The Royal Castle of the Almudaina is located at the point of the city of Mallorca where consist settlements from Roman times and which has been the seat of power on the island possibly ever since.
Remains of the Arab Citadel, on which there are references of the 12th and 13th centuries, could be traced even in the form of the present Castle.

The castle was built in the early 14th century between 1305 and 1314 for Jaime II and flourished as a seat of the Court of the Kings of Mallorca in the first half of that century.
Headquarters of the audience from Felipe II, residence of the viceroy and Captain General and administrative centre of the Royal heritage on the island, the Almudaina is currently the official residence of H.M. the King during his visits to Mallorca.

In the set is the Royal Chapel of Santa Ana, the great Hall or Tinell (divided into two levels from the 16th century to accommodate the audience) and the Palau del Rei. It was the subject of major reforms by the architect Bennazar principles of the 20th century and restorations in the decades of 1960, 70s and 80s.

More info and photos: Palacio de La Almudaina - Monarquia Espanhola

I've been to the Almudaina Palace and would recommend a visit if anyone is ever in Palma. I enjoyed looking around the palace, it's still rather medieval inside. You can also see part of the private quarters of the royal family in the palace, but you're not allowed to go inside them as they're bordered off (for understandable reasons though).

When I went there I remember seeing a few black, important looking cars in the palace courtyard, and I got excited because I thought it could be the SRF, though nobody came out of the cars and I think they were just parked there.

Documentary about the palace:

Back
Top Bottom