Villa Eikenhorst & Estate 'De Horsten', Wassenaar

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thank you

how many family lives at the estate?

Besides the "civilians" of which their are a lot,there's the Prince of Orange and his family,Princess Margarita and Tjalling and theirs,Prince P-C and his,Prince Floris and his and I'm sure a few more will be added in due time.

Do they live close to eachother?Some do,some don't,depends...
Do they pop-in and out at regular intervals?Yes,they do..:)

Besides Jo,there already is more then enough info on anything anywhere in this Forum,you just have to look it up....;)

Last edited:
There was a public hearing of the Cuypersgenootschap & the counsil of Wassenaar yesterday:

Stichting slijpt messen over boerderijen op De Horsten - Achtergronden ROYALBLOG.NL

The secretary of the association, Leo Dubbelaar, was the only speaker and he accused the city of Wassenaar to be too impressed by the 'high owner' of the estate (the Queen) etc. etc. And he stuck to his plea that the asbestos-filled farms from the 50-ties have an historic value. Even the local press didn't seem too interested according to the article.

There was a public hearing of the Cuypersgenootschap & the counsil of Wassenaar yesterday:

Stichting slijpt messen over boerderijen op De Horsten - Achtergronden ROYALBLOG.NL

The secretary of the association, Leo Dubbelaar, was the only speaker and he accused the city of Wassenaar to be too impressed by the 'high owner' of the estate (the Queen) etc. etc. And he stuck to his plea that the asbestos-filled farms from the 50-ties have an historic value. Even the local press didn't seem too interested according to the article.

It is not as much of historical value as it is of histerical value to that man,Dubbelaar...babbelaar...No-one is interested really...

Whats the historical interest/value besides the location? I was under the impression the buildings are not exactly ancient and are in rather bad repair besides having asbestos problems.

Google Vertaling
thank you Fanvanmaxima1:flowers:
here we can see some photos of the entrance inside! lovely!
I noticed 2 things one that the main door does not look to have very secure locks, like normal handle and that 's it! and in 2 wals it is like 2 paints the same? may be somebody can have better eyes than me?

Whats the historical interest/value besides the location? I was under the impression the buildings are not exactly ancient and are in rather bad repair besides having asbestos problems.

They are derelict,yes.There is no historical interest to the said buildings at all,just a hysterical interest by the village fools..that's all.:)

The buildings will be torn down and something new will be build to make the estate profitable again,that's the aim.

Good!The Cuypers Society ceased their opposition to demolishing the two derelict farms at the Horsten estate.They've acknowledged that the farms hold no monumental value.......(just mental.....to them...:whistling:...)

So the demolishing of the buildings can go ahead and new houses will be build on the site.

Google Vertaling
thank you Fanvanmaxima1:flowers:
here we can see some photos of the entrance inside! lovely!
I noticed 2 things one that the main door does not look to have very secure locks, like normal handle and that 's it! and in 2 wals it is like 2 paints the same? may be somebody can have better eyes than me?

One more photos for this meeting:
Officieel bezoek president Mali, 29 november - december 2011 - Het Koninklijk Huis

In this article there is a photo, if I understand correct, that it was made also in the villa:
http://www.trouw.nl/tr/nl/4492/Nede...ing-blijft-met-gezin-in-Wassenaar-wonen.dhtml

Other picture made in the villa:
http://vorstenvroegerennu.nl/?p=570

And an other meetings in the villa, here you can see very good the living-room:
http://www.newmyroyals.com/2013/03/princess-maxima-met-with-ellen-johnson.html

http://members3.boardhost.com/Beneluxroyal/msg/1378094594.html

http://www.newmyroyals.com/2013/05/king-willem-alexander-and-queen-maxima_23.html

Last edited:
The article is a bit tendentious if you ask me. "The empty palace in Amsterdam". I think the author will know that the Royal Palace in Amsterdam is in fact in use as a museum and totally unfit for living or as office.

When the Prince of Orange and Princess Máxima moved into Villa de Eikenhorst, it looked like this and like this but now, some 12-13 years later, the building seems eaten by green plants.... Look at the situation now...

I can see that the greenkeepers are carefully cutting the ivy away from the roof and the woodwork, but I associate ivy with decay. It is hell of a work to prevent the ivy eating your woodwork and I think it is not exactly good for the house...

:ermm:

When the Prince of Orange and Princess Máxima moved into Villa de Eikenhorst, it looked like this and like this but now, some 12-13 years later, the building seems eaten by green plants.... Look at the situation now...

I can see that the greenkeepers are carefully cutting the ivy away from the roof and the woodwork, but I associate ivy with decay. It is hell of a work to prevent the ivy eating your woodwork and I think it is not exactly good for the house...

:ermm:

According to this article Can Ivy Damage Brick or Wood on Your Home? | Today's Homeowner
ivy can be beneficial to brick houses as it keeps the house cool and walls dry (Holland is VERY wet!). In that the Dutch know something about gardens, I would think that the decision to grow ivy on Eikenhorst's walls is well considered.:flowers::whistling:

We may assume that the King has plenty of gardeners to control the ivy. My parents had ivy as well and it was a never-ending fight to control the green getting hold of the woodwork and the rooftop...

When the King moves out of Eikenhorst, I hope he has a decent maintenance plan because it lasts only one year of neglect to get the house completely over-coverd...

Prince Pieter-Christiaan & family will also be moving to the estate. He told this to magazine 'Prive'.

I have this idea that if you have any plant on the walls of your house, you will have a lot of insects inside the house, really not my cup of tea!
Whe they will move out of the estate?

I have this idea that if you have any plant on the walls of your house, you will have a lot of insects inside the house, really not my cup of tea!
Whe they will move out of the estate?

It is actually a very environment-friendly solution to isolate your house: warm in winter and cool in summer, to give birds ample of possibilities to build nests and ach ja... insects... just place insect screens...

:lol:

A sustainable house with green walls and roof

Appartments in Mannheim (Germany)

Indoor green walls in an office in The Hague (Netherlands)

To fight graffitti: make green walls, a railway station in Amsterdam

An office in Monte-Carlo, principality of Monaco

Villa Eikenhorst in 2001

Villa Eikenhorst in 2015

The King will move to Huis ten Bosch in 2018/2019, so is the expectation. On Friday 12 November 2015 the Rijksvastgoedbedrijf (Government Real Estate Agency) has decided to grant the renovation of the palace to the construction company J.P. van Eesteren / TBI.

This company was one of the inscriptors into the public tender for the renovation of the palace. Now it has been announced that this company will remove all old plumbings, floorcovers, ceilings and sanitary. When this is done to the satisfaction of the Rijksvastgoedbesdrijf and with respect for the monumental surroundings, the company may 'win' the rest of the renovation project.

The costs of the renovation of Huis ten Bosch will be around 60 million Euro (65 million US Dollars). In this amount the stunning Oranjesael is not included: that has been separately renovated an few years ago, for an equally staggering amount of money.

It is actually a very environment-friendly solution to isolate your house: warm in winter and cool in summer, to give birds ample of possibilities to build nests and ach ja... insects... just place insect screens...

:lol:

A sustainable house with green walls and roof

Appartments in Mannheim (Germany)

Indoor green walls in an office in The Hague (Netherlands)

To fight graffitti: make green walls, a railway station in Amsterdam

An office in Monte-Carlo, principality of Monaco

Villa Eikenhorst in 2001

Villa Eikenhorst in 2015

The King will move to Huis ten Bosch in 2018/2019, so is the expectation. On Friday 12 November 2015 the Rijksvastgoedbedrijf (Government Real Estate Agency) has decided to grant the renovation of the palace to the construction company J.P. van Eesteren / TBI.

This company was one of the inscriptors into the public tender for the renovation of the palace. Now it has been announced that this company will remove all old plumbings, floorcovers, ceilings and sanitary. When this is done to the satisfaction of the Rijksvastgoedbesdrijf and with respect for the monumental surroundings, the company may 'win' the rest of the renovation project.

The costs of the renovation of Huis ten Bosch will be around 60 million Euro (65 million US Dollars). In this amount the stunning Oranjesael is not included: that has been separately renovated an few years ago, for an equally staggering amount of money.

Thank you for all the info , pity some links to the potos they do not work anymore!:sad:
I can imagine all this cost , it is incredible how much money it takes!
But would love to see at least in photos the inside of Huis ten Bosh and Villa Eikenhorst, I mean the private rooms, kitchen bedrroms, dressing rooms, must be stunning!

What will happen to the Villa when the RF move into Huis ten Bosch? Is somebody else going to move in or will it just be left? If so I hope they learn from the apparent neglect of other royal residences (well assumed neglect given the large amounts of money now being spent on palaces) and keep Eikenhorst in a good condition to be used again.

What will happen to the Villa when the RF move into Huis ten Bosch? Is somebody else going to move in or will it just be left? If so I hope they learn from the apparent neglect of other royal residences (well assumed neglect given the large amounts of money now being spent on palaces) and keep Eikenhorst in a good condition to be used again.

There was never a neglect of Noordeinde, Huis ten Bosch, Het Loo or the Royal Palace in Amsterdam. It are simply 16th C or 17th C monuments in the highest category which require restoration, renovation, modernization in every 30 or 40 years. Even when it is for the technical installations alone (climate control, wiring, security measures, asbestose removal, making the building more energy neutral) it already costs unbelievable sums.

In 30 years time the gilding of doorknobs have gone, the silk curtains here and there fade out, there are damages to carpets, some chairs crack or look worn out, the thousands lightbulbs maybe can better be replaced by modern OLED lighting, etc.) And there are personal wishes. The current royal couple has become accustomed to a direct access to the garden. At Huis ten Bosch it seems the King wants to construct private appartments in a side wing with a direct access to the garden. In a monumental 17th C building this needs a costly renovation to construct it according the King's wishes without damaging the exterior of the palace. The current royal couple also has requested a landscape architect to change the park around the palace. Also that will be a costly affair.

The Estate De Horsten has recently been given to the King. His mother Princess Beatrix owned the estate until recently. We may assume that his daughters will live on the estate. A few years ago some farmhouses, no longer in use as such, have been demolished and exclusive villas (in a countryside style befitting the estate) have been build.

Last edited:
During the Christmass Address of the King there were tweets on Twitter about "the white painting". Varying from "that is for the beamer on which WA watches sports" to other funny remarks.

It seems to be a scuplture by Ad Dekkers (1938-1974). During the Christmas Address the viewers saw it from the side, as an empty white painting. But when one is standing in front, a relief is visible: it seems to be a kerf in the empty white object which gives different results when seen from different sides.

Apparently it was a present of Queen Beatrix to Prince Willem-Alexander and Princess Máxima. The same work hangs in the Stedelijk Museum in Amsterdam. It seems Princess Beatrix is a lifelong admirer of the art of Ad Dekkers and has collected various of his artworks in her residences.

The work in the Stedelijk Museum

The work in Villa Eikenhorst

Last edited:
A story that will probably raise some eye-brows in the Netherlands:

The king is said to have plans to rent-out Villa Eikenhorst to Abdul Rahman Al-Otaibi, ambassador of Kuweit.

https://www.telegraaf.nl/financieel...utm_content=/Beneluxroyal/msg/1561964464.html

The rent will be 10.000 euros per month, which can be used for the upkeep of the house and estate.

--
I am sure there will be some questions on how the king can fill his pockets by renting out a house which was renovated at the cost of the Dutch tax payer. But IMHO there is no point of letting he vila stand empty for the next decades.

Note that the king offered the house for rent on the website Funda on April 1st of this year, which was an April Fools joke. So we will have to wait and see if the present information is actually correct.

Last edited:
A story that will probably raise some eye-brows in the Netherlands:

The king is said to have plans to rent-out Villa Eikenhorst to Abdul Rahman Al-Otaibi, ambassador of Kuweit.

https://www.telegraaf.nl/financieel...utm_content=/Beneluxroyal/msg/1561964464.html

The rent will be 10.000 euros per month, which can be used for the upkeep of the house and estate.

--
I am sure there will be some questions on how the king can fill his pockets by renting out a house which was renovated at the cost of the Dutch tax payer. But IMHO there is no point of letting he vila stand empty for the next decades.

Note that the king offered the house for rent on the website Funda on April 1st of this year, which was an April Fools joke. So we will have to wait and see if the present information is actually correct.

120.000 annual revenue on an empty house is a lot. The villa is new build in the 1980's and has no any historic or monumental status. The house was refurbished by the Prince's own money. Unlike heirs in other countries he had to purchase a property.

Absolutely E120,000 is quite a lot and I'm sure we will be reading and hearing more on this!

Imagine that in 10 years the Princess of Orange will live at Eikenhorst. Then she will move into a well-maintained former residence of the Ambassador of Kuwait and the royal family has received 1,2 million in rent for it.

Big deal.

The alternative: an empty house, with all costs, no revenue and possibly a big renovation needed when the Princess of Orange want to use it.

B.t.w. I do not rule out that the Princess of Orange will move into the completely renovated romantic Drakensteyn estate (where Princess Beatrix lives) leaving Eikenhorst in rented state until the abdication of King Willem-Alexander (to become his private villa again after the kingship).

Drakensteyn Estate: https://www.hartvannederland.nl/wp-...nses-beatrix-met-kleinkinderen-1-1000x562.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom