The New Church & Royal Mausoleum, Delft

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
From this wikipedia page:

Nieuwe Kerk (English: New Church) is a landmark church in Delft, the Netherlands. The building is located on Delft Market Square (Markt), opposite to the Delft City Hall (Dutch: Stadhuis). In 1584, William the Silent was entombed here in a mausoleum designed by Hendrick and Pieter de Keyser. Since then members of the House of Orange-Nassau have been entombed in the royal crypt. The latest are Queen Juliana (Queen of the Netherlands from 1948-1980) and her husband Prince Bernhard in 2004. The private royal family crypt is not open to the public.

Last edited:
1) www.vvvdelft.nl
2) www.nieuwekerk-delft.nl

Nieuwe_kerk_20040311.jpg
DSC_00102007-04-30_17-59-39perspect.jpg

Last edited:
Pictures of the statue on the grave of Stadholder Willem I:

all pics from wikipedia.nl

Graf_Willem_van_Oranje_R0015051.jpg

Graf_Willem_van_Oranje_R0015050.jpg

zerk_in_koor.jpg
450px-Grafwillemvanoranje.jpg

Last edited:
The Royal Crypt at Delft will be expanded to twice the present size,as was planned for quiet some time already.It is nor exactly sure when the work will start,the church prefers to have it all done at the same time as the planned restauration of the church,which seems logical,but ah,logic is not the best point in "The Hague" (government),they haven't given the go ahead yet,but do plan to have the work on the crypt started sooner.

Courtesy dear HJA,

http://www.royalblog.nl/

Here the official website of the church.

And here you can see a map of the mausuleum and also who has been placed in which location...

Old images, copyrights expired:

Grafkelderdelft.jpg
grafmonument.jpg

As of next week the Nieuwe Kerk and the Royal Mausoleum in Delft will be under extensive renovation work for the next 3 years.It wasn't mentioned in as many words that the mausoleum will be extended but that is very likely also one of the major works.The coffins already had been "re-shuffled" a few years ago but it didn't really create more space for future generations to join the ancestors.

The Royal Crypt at Delft will be expanded to twice the present size,as was planned for quiet some time already.It is nor exactly sure when the work will start,the church prefers to have it all done at the same time as the planned restauration of the church,which seems logical,but ah,logic is not the best point in "The Hague" (government),they haven't given the go ahead yet,but do plan to have the work on the crypt started sooner.

Courtesy dear HJA,

http://www.royalblog.nl/

Well,finally.....5 years later and yesterday saw the presentation..or some of it...of the restauration works that will be under way for the next three years.

http://www.anpfoto.nl/search.pp?eventid=1532030

courtesy ANP

Will they atually enlarge the vault (add a 3rd vault perhaps) or just rearrange the coffins?

Will they atually enlarge the vault (add a 3rd vault perhaps) or just rearrange the coffins?

They will have to enlarge it,there's just one more space left next to Prince Claus...

PPE Agency

courtesy PPE

Where do the Dutch bury their non-monarch royals? Is there a Dutch version of Frogmore? I realize this probably has not happened for some time since Whilhemina and Juliana were only children, but it will come up for Beatrix's sisters and WA's brothers at some point.

Fascinating ! I went there often and I often wondered how was the vault.

Where do the Dutch bury their non-monarch royals? Is there a Dutch version of Frogmore? I realize this probably has not happened for some time since Whilhemina and Juliana were only children, but it will come up for Beatrix's sisters and WA's brothers at some point.

Yes, that's a good question. I would also like to know that if anyone has information.

Wilhelmina were not the only child. Her elder half brothers (all died before her) are buried in Delft as well.

There is no Duth version of Frogmore, but the Dutch RF only had one side branch, namely that of prince Frederik and Princess Louise of Prussia. Their two sons died very young. It is suspect however that Pieter and Margriet will be burried in Apeldoorn on the estate of palace het Loo.

The Nassau-Dietz branch was mainly burried in the Great or Jacobin church in Leeuwarden though some are in the Stiftskirche in Diez, the Dillenburgs are mainly in the Stadtskirche in Dillenburg and Siegens in the fürstengruft in the Unteres Schloss in Siegen. The Nassau-Hadamars are burried in the fürstengruft of the fransiscan church in Hadamar Earlier Nassau-Breda's in Great (or Our Lady) church of Breda. Nassau-Lalacq and Nassau-Woudenberg are burried in the 'ruin' church in Bergen and the Nassau-Ouwerkerk and some of the Nassau-Lalecq branch are in the vault of the reformed church of Ouderkerk aan de IJssel.

Last edited:

Only Beatrix and the present King and Queen and probably their eldest daughter,as she is the Heir and future Queen,will be buried at Delft.But the sisters of Princess Beatrix will not be interred in Delft.Princess Margriet and Pieter already have their vault ready on the Het Loo Palace grounds just beyond the Palace gardens,more or less in their own backyard.It is their wish,always was,to be interred in the nature.An underground mausoleum was build by them there and I posted pics of that at the time too....Princesses Irene and Christina have their own ideas on where to be buried.Irene's preference is on her estate in South Africa,Christina's is unknown but she doesn't fuss much either.

If W-A's brothers will be interred in Delft remains to be seen,Constantijn and Laurentien don't fuss either.But the present mausoleum will now be enlarged for the future generations of Monarchs...God willing...

And also,with the present works well on their way now they will have to see to it this time that a good solution will be found and implemented against the time and time again flooding of the place...with caskets floating so Anna Pavlowna floats past Queen Juliana in a sort of unwanted maritime party.

Last edited:
I had no idea that the Royal cryrpt at Delft still suffered from floods.

People buried in the royal crypt at the Nieuwe Kerk from Wiki

Eleven people are buried in the old vault
William the Silent (1584)
Louise de Coligny (1621)
Maurice of Nassau, Prince of Orange (1625)
Elisabeth, daughter of Frederick Henry, Prince of Orange (1630)
Isabella Charlotte, daughter of Frederick Henry, Prince of Orange (1642)
Frederick Henry, Prince of Orange (1647)
Countess Catharina Belgica of Nassau (1648)
Amalia of Solms-Braunfels (1675)
Three unidentified persons
35 people are buried in the new vault:[3][4]
William II, Prince of Orange (1651)
Eldest stillborn daughter of William IV, Prince of Orange (1736)
William IV, Prince of Orange (1751)
Anne, Princess Royal and Princess of Orange (1759)
George Willem Belgicus, son of Princess Carolina of Orange-Nassau (1762)
A stillborn child of Princess Carolina of Orange-Nassau (1767)
Eldest stillborn son of William V, Prince of Orange (1769)
Willem Georg Frederik, son of William V, Prince of Orange (1896)
Princess Pauline of Orange-Nassau (1806)
William V, Prince of Orange (1806)
Frederika Louise Wilhelmina, daughter of William V, Prince of Orange (1819)
Princess Wilhelmina of Prussia (1822)
Prince Ernest Casimir of the Netherlands (1860)
Willem Frederik Nicolaas Karel, son of Prince Frederick of the Netherlands (1834)
Wilhelmine of Prussia (1837)
William I of the Netherlands (1844)
Willem Frederik Nicolaas Albert, son of Prince Frederick of the Netherlands (1846)
Prince Alexander of the Netherlands (1848)
William II of the Netherlands (1849)
Prince Maurice of the Netherlands (1850)
Anna Pavlovna of Russia (1865)
Princess Louise of Prussia (1870)
Amalia of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach (1872)
Sophie of Württemberg (1877)
Prince Henry of the Netherlands (1879)
William, Prince of Orange (1879)
Prince Frederick of the Netherlands (1881)
Alexander, Prince of Orange (1884)
William III of the Netherlands (1890)
Emma of Waldeck and Pyrmont (1934)
Prince Hendrik of the Netherlands (1934)
Wilhelmina of the Netherlands (1962)
Prince Claus of the Netherlands (2002)
Juliana of the Netherlands (2004)
Prince Bernhard of Lippe-Biesterfeld (2004)

The New Church in Delft (1496) has been extensively restored. At first sight there is no difference with before the restoration, but all the rooftiles, the leadwork, the pipings, the cement joints, etc. are as new again. Under the floor special installations have been made for TV-broadcasts of future royal funerals.

The most major change is that the ceilings are quite more clear now and that all the copper chandeliers have been removed. The architect thought that the 15th C "line of sight" should be free to experience the space.

The nave before (dark ceilings and chandeliers)

The nave after (clean ceilings and a free sight)

The ceiling of the choir before

The ceiling of the choir after

A new portal has been constructed inside the tower

The reception in the tower

The visitor centre (no more cluttering of tourists inside the church itself)

An orange carpet leads a multimedia-tour alongsode the epitaphs for members of the House Orange-Nassau

The entrance to the burial vaults is not visible, apart from a marble deckstone. For funerals the floor is opened.

It is a quite spartan looking church. It seems that the beauty lies in the unchanged original 15th C floorplan. In all these centuries it has not been cluttered with additions, fences, chapels, etc. It remained clean and empty.

Last edited:
I take it that its no longer used for religious worship hence the reception desk and reception in the tower?

Translation from the previous post:

"On 22 October one of the coffins was moved out of the Royal Vaults, to store the remains in a new coffin. It concerns the remains of Queen Anna Paulovna. The new coffin will be placed at the original location of the old coffin in the Royal Vaults in the Nieuwe Kerk in Delft.

The re-encasing will take a few days and will take place in Rotterdam. The activities are carried out by the 'Special Funerals' team of Monuta. The members of the royal family adhere to the fact that the remains of their ancestors are kept in a dignified and sustainable way in the Royal Vaults."

Anna Paulovna Romanova, Grand-Princess of Russia (1795-1865) was a daughter of Tsar Paul I of Russia and his wife Sophia Dorothea Augusta Louisa of Württemberg, better known in Russia as Tsarina Maria Feodorovna. When Anna was six years old, the Tsar was murdered and succeeded by her eldest brother, Alexander. In 1816 the Grand-Princess married the Prince of Orange (the later King Willem II of the Netherlands, Grand-Duke of Luxembourg).

Last edited:
The New Church in Delft (1496) has been extensively restored. At first sight there is no difference with before the restoration, but all the rooftiles, the leadwork, the pipings, the cement joints, etc. are as new again. Under the floor special installations have been made for TV-broadcasts of future royal funerals.

The most major change is that the ceilings are quite more clear now and that all the copper chandeliers have been removed. The architect thought that the 15th C "line of sight" should be free to experience the space.

The nave before (dark ceilings and chandeliers)

The nave after (clean ceilings and a free sight)

The ceiling of the choir before

The ceiling of the choir after

A new portal has been constructed inside the tower

The reception in the tower

The visitor centre (no more cluttering of tourists inside the church itself)

An orange carpet leads a multimedia-tour alongsode the epitaphs for members of the House Orange-Nassau

The entrance to the burial vaults is not visible, apart from a marble deckstone. For funerals the floor is opened.

It is a quite spartan looking church. It seems that the beauty lies in the unchanged original 15th C floorplan. In all these centuries it has not been cluttered with additions, fences, chapels, etc. It remained clean and empty.

More importantly imo (as a former attender of church services in the Nieuwe Kerk), the pews have been removed and been replaced by chairs which changes the experience and feel of the church. I wonder how it will be heated now as that was done by heating tubes at your feet integrated in the pews.

Last edited:
More importantly imo (as a former attender of church services in the Nieuwe Kerk), the pews have been removed and been replaced by chairs which changes the experience and feel of the church. I wonder how it will be heated now as that was done by heating tubes at your feet integrated in the pews.

Maybe floor-heating under the tiles? The had to dig anyway to enlarge underground space and to provide connectivity for TV broadcasts, all invisibly reworked under the floor.

What is your opinion on the new look?

Last edited:
Imagine what the Nieuwe Kerk looked like before the fire of 1536 and the iconoclasm of the reformation,I'd imagine it was a richly decorated church.

Is there limited space at the moment?

Is there limited space at the moment?
I think there are now 3 places left if i remember it correct from the funerals in 2002 and 2004. So that would mean for Princess Beatrix and King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima.

Back
Top Bottom