Palace Huis Ten Bosch, The Hague

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Will the kings and their daughters move to this palace?

Yes, the private appartments of the King are ready to be used. The other parts of the palace are finalizing the restoration/renovation/modernization. Also the palace park will get a new and more colourful lay-out, that work has already begun.

Last edited:
Yes, the private appartments of the King are ready to be used. The other parts of the palace are finalizing the restoration/renovation/modernization. Also the palace park will get a new and more colourful lay-out, that work has already begun.

The private appartments are not yet ready to use.It takes a little longer then planned.

The press will get the opportunity to have a look inside the palace once everything is in order.

The press will get the opportunity to have a look inside the palace once everything is in order.

That is good news!

Apparently they expect to be done in the spring. No official act is planned when the king is registring his family in The Hague. When Beatrix moved to The Hague there was still a carriage ride with the crème caleche IIRC. But that was to celebrate that The Hague became the official residence again for the monarch, after a gap of 32 years.

I take it that the Noordeinde Palace will still be used as a working Palace and on Princes Day?

Ah, I like that: only one flagpole with the royal standard. I saw pictures with three flagpoles but apparently these poles can be folded down.

Three flagpoles:
https://editorial01.shutterstock.co...therlands-shutterstock-editorial-9956494n.jpg

One flagpole:
https://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/binar...nieuws/2019/01/2019-paleis-huis-ten-bosch.jpg

It eyes better with one flagpole in use indeed. Good idea to use foldable poles indeed, to respect the 17th C façade.

I also like the new colour scheme of the windows and doors. It gives a more 17th C feel.

The windows and doors before the restoration:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8e/Huis_ten_Bosch.jpg

The windows and doors after the restoration:
https://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/binar...nieuws/2019/01/2019-paleis-huis-ten-bosch.jpg

Last edited:
Why are they moving? Is it like The Queen going back to BP after Christmas?

Buckingham Palace will have a much needed restoration as well. But in the Dutch situation it was seen as wiser, more effective and efficient to empty the complete building and turn it into a construction site.

In London it seems the intention that Buckingham Palace remains in use during the restoration. That is not cost-effective because with everything, removal of asbestos, replacing of technical installations, breaking floors, the builders have to take costly preparations first to keep the palace partly functional.

The Dutch royal family remained in the private villa the King bought as Prince of Orange and the builders, constructors, technicians, painters, restorators, etc had free play in Huis ten Bosch.

Wonderful to see the Royal standard flying over the Palace!

Buckingham Palace will have a much needed restoration as well. But in the Dutch situation it was seen as wiser, more effective and efficient to empty the complete building and turn it into a construction site.

In London it seems the intention that Buckingham Palace remains in use during the restoration. That is not cost-effective because with everything, removal of asbestos, replacing of technical installations, breaking floors, the builders have to take costly preparations first to keep the palace partly functional.

The difference is that Hus ten Bosch Palace was empty after Princess Beratrrix has moved out. And there are not staff memers from the Royal Household who work there and have their officed there like it is the case in Buckingham Palace. So it was easier to do it all in an empty Palace which would not be the case for Buckingham Palace.

The difference is that Hus ten Bosch Palace was empty after Princess Beratrrix has moved out. And there are not staff memers from the Royal Household who work there and have their officed there like it is the case in Buckingham Palace. So it was easier to do it all in an empty Palace which would not be the case for Buckingham Palace.

When Noordeinde Palace was in restoration (in the 1980's), and the Royal Palace Amsterdam (in the 2000's), and Huis ten Bosch (in the 2010's), and Het Loo Palace (right now), all was completely emptied. All staff were re-housed in temporary buildings. The same will happen to the Inner Court Complex, which will be restored soon: the whole complex with thousands of staff will transfer for at least 5 years to the former Department of Foreign Affairs. It was thought more efficient to empty all and everything and hand over the keys to the project bureau. They have a free field and no need to stop or delay works because maybe there is something in a part of the building.

Last edited:
When Noordeinde Palace was in restoration (in the 1980's), and the Royal Palace Amsterdam (in the 2000's), and Huis ten Bosch (in the 2010's), and Het Loo Palace (right now), all was completely emptied. All staff were re-housed in temporary buildings. The same will happen to the Inner Court Complex, which will be restored soon: the whole complex with thousands of staff will transfer for at least 5 years to the former Department of Foreign Affairs. It was thought more efficient to empty all and everything and hand over the keys to the project bureau. They have a free field and no need to stop or delay works because maybe there is something in a part of the building.

But the Brits think otherwise. And it seems that in Buckingham Palace always one wing will be emptied and then renovated. So it is not that the Royal Family and the workers are in the same rooms.

Did you mean going back to Buckingham palace after the renovation in 2025? Or going back to Buckingham palace , the way QEII alternates between her homes in Balmoral, Windsor and BP, with BP being the one she spends christmas?

I think other posts assumed the renovation of BP, but it just dawned on me you might have meant the alternating...
If that is the case: no, the dutch King and his family will not use various residencex and will move permantly to this Palace now the renovation is done.. :flowers:

Did you mean going back to Buckingham palace after the renovation in 2025? Or going back to Buckingham palace , the way QEII alternates between her homes in Balmoral, Windsor and BP, with BP being the one she spends christmas?

I think other posts assumed the renovation of BP, but it just dawned on me you might have meant the alternating...

If that is the case: no, the dutch King and his family will not use various residencex and will move permantly to this Palace now the renovation is done.. :flowers:

Thank you Lee, yes I indeed meant the seasonal shift from Sandringham to BP every winter, not the complete move out of Her Majesty. :flowers:

The Dutch royal family remained in the private villa the King bought as Prince of Orange and the builders, constructors, technicians, painters, restorators, etc had free play in Huis ten Bosch.

As above Duc, I actually meant when The Queen moves yearly, not when she moves out.

Last edited:
But the Brits think otherwise. And it seems that in Buckingham Palace always one wing will be emptied and then renovated. So it is not that the Royal Family and the workers are in the same rooms.

Yes, they do the same with the current restoration of the Palace of Westminster. It is done while MP's and their staff are absolutely crammed in every broomstick closet. In the BBC-series about the House of Lords I saw situations which would cause all alarm bells ringing from Dutch or German safety inspectors: blocked escape routes, four bureaus crammed into a former kitchenette without safety exit, part of the sprinklers cut off because a few walls furtherer in the building constructors were stripping walls. My jaws dropped when I saw that. I recommend King Charles to empty the whole BP and use Clarence House as residence as long as BP is under construction. But okay, to paraphrase Saint Paul: when in London, do as the Londoners do. :)

No, not at all. Unlike the British (and Danish) royals the Dutch monarch lives in the same place year round. Huis ten Bosch is the official residence of the monarch, so that's where the king and his family were expected to live (in a palace instead of a private villa), however, as others explained they used the transition from one monarch to the other to completely renovate the palace (although they aren't done yet; only the private apartments are fully ready). So, after almost 6 years as king the family finally moved in today (based on their comments last summer, they probably would have preferred to stay at the Eikenhorst, so hopefully they will learn to enjoy their new home).

Edit: just noticed that Lee-Z already answered the question.

Just a thought (i'm dutch but not from that area so don't know):
the princesses go to school on bike, right? doesn it make a lot of difference for them how long they will have to cycle now they are moving to this residence?

(also have some mental images of the girls quarelling about who gets which bedroom :lol: )

Just a thought (i'm dutch but not from that area so don't know):
the princesses go to school on bike, right? doesn it make a lot of difference for them how long they will have to cycle now they are moving to this residence?

(also have some mental images of the girls quarelling about who gets which bedroom :lol: )

For Amalia and Alexia school is much closer now (they passed Huis ten Bosch on their way to school previously). For Ariane it's a bit but not much further (and she only has a few more months left at primary school, and her secondary school will be closer as well). Her primary school is somewhat in-between her old and new home. I will look up the exact distances...

Huis ten Bosch - Sorghvliet: 5.3 km (19 min)
Eikenhorst - Sorghvliet: 9.8 (34 min)

Eikenhorst - Bloemcampschool: 2.8 km (9 min)
Huis ten Bosch - Sorghvliet: 3.3 km (11 min)

Last edited:

Queen Elizabeth spends Christmas at Sandringham. She actually spends most of her time at Windsor only spending 2 or 3 nights a week at Buckingham Palace.

Yes, they do the same with the current restoration of the Palace of Westminster. It is done while MP's and their staff are absolutely crammed in every broomstick closet. In the BBC-series about the House of Lords I saw situations which would cause all alarm bells ringing from Dutch or German safety inspectors: blocked escape routes, four bureaus crammed into a former kitchenette without safety exit, part of the sprinklers cut off because a few walls furtherer in the building constructors were stripping walls. My jaws dropped when I saw that. I recommend King Charles to empty the whole BP and use Clarence House as residence as long as BP is under construction. But okay, to paraphrase Saint Paul: when in London, do as the Londoners do. :)

Charles, or King George VII as it's said he will be called, dislikes Buckingham Place and has said he has no intention of moving there. Ironically, Princess Elizabeth lived at Clarence House and wanted to stay there after she became Queen but Churchill insisted she move to Buckingham Palace.

Last edited by a moderator:
When the say the media will have access - does that mean more pictures to come? I assume just from the official rooms. Out of interest which wing is for the family - the left or right as looking at it?

Whilst I don't wholly agree with abdication its nice they are moving in without having to have faced the death of Beatrix.

The flagpole with the Royal standard misses the golden crown. I see also the big golden lanterns are still missing. Maybe these items get new gold and will re-appear, as the restoration continues.

The crown which used to top the flagpole:
https://www.verwoerd-watersport.nl/images/Koninklijkestandaard_rouwwimpel.jpg

When the say the media will have access - does that mean more pictures to come? I assume just from the official rooms. Out of interest which wing is for the family - the left or right as looking at it?

Whilst I don't wholly agree with abdication its nice they are moving in without having to have faced the death of Beatrix.

I think the King will do a sightseeing with a camera team. Or a documentary about the restoration. When the silk wallhangings of the Japanese and Chinese Salons were restored, a visibly impressed Queen Beatrix showed a camera team the result. I saw snippets of that in the program Blauw Bloed, this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to see photos from inside, I guess I am dreaming! But it would be nice to see the decoration in all rooms

:previous: after just having hand-shovelled my driveway i can say i'm glad i don't have to do theirs :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom