Palace Huis Ten Bosch, The Hague

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He's known here as William the Silent. His assassination led to fears in England that Elizabeth I might meet the same fate.
And, also, as THE founding father (of the Orange dynasty and therefore of the country); even though he lived long before king Willem I (but in-between they had 'reigned' as 'stadtholders'). The literal translation from Dutch would be 'Father of the fatherland'.

And, also, as THE founding father (of the Orange dynasty and therefore of the country); even though he lived long before king Willem I (but in-between they had 'reigned' as 'stadtholders'). The literal translation from Dutch would be 'Father of the fatherland'.

Thank you that's interesting. Yes I was aware of the role of the stadtholder. The revolt of the Netherlands is a great story of the struggle for freedom.

I was reading that Huis ten Bosch was built for Amalia of Solms-Braunfels,Princess of Orange the wife of Frederick Henry, Prince of Orange the youngest son of William the Silent and Louise de Coligny.

I can't say I care much for Queen Máxima's office, the strong colors would drive me nuts. But I don't have to work there of course & as Duc says it did not do any damage to original interiors. The King's office is nice enough, lots of natural light and a nice view to the garden. Just the (lack of) book selection is a bit disappointing. I could even spot a book about skiing, which I am not sure is very related to his work ;).

I think that Willem of Nassau, Prince of Orange was the Pater Patriæ indeed but not the founder of the Orange dynasty in the Netherlands. That honour goes to Engelbrecht I von Nassau-Dillenburg, who married the 11 years old (!) Jehenne de Polanen in 1403, heiress to a dazzling fortune. This marriage would make this German noble family amongst the wealthiest and most powerful nobles in the Low Countries.

1403 Engelbrecht I von Nassau-Dillenburg married Jehenne de Polanen, Lady of Breda
|
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|
1442 Johan IV van Nassau-Breda
|
1475 Johan V van Nassau-Breda
|
1515 Hendrik III van Nassau-Breda married Claude de Chalon, princesse d'Orange
|
1530 René van Nassau-Breda, prince d'Orange
|
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|
1544 Willem I van Nassau-Dillenburg , prince d'Orange

Last edited:
I can't say I care much for Queen Máxima's office, the strong colors would drive me nuts. But I don't have to work there of course & as Duc says it did not do any damage to original interiors. The King's office is nice enough, lots of natural light and a nice view to the garden. Just the (lack of) book selection is a bit disappointing. I could even spot a book about skiing, which I am not sure is very related to his work ;).

What I could deduct on the King's bookshelf:

Great Maps, The World's Masterpieces Explored
Vargic’s Miscellany of Curious Maps
Het Universum van Amsterdam (about cartography in Amsterdam)
Ski-Atlas of the World
Goedemorgen, meneer Mandela (memoirs from the personal assistente of Nelson Mandela)
Interventions (memoirs of Kofi Annan)
Management Made Simple (McKinsey management book)
Meer Waarde (More Value - McKinsey management book)
De Verborgen Impact (The Hidden Impact - about sustainability)

A picture of the royal couple at Windsor Castle
A picture of the royal couple at the races
A picture of the Princess of Orange
A picture of a young Máxima
A picture of Queen Beatrix and Prince Claus
A holiday picture of the King's family

Other books and pictures were hard to deduct.

I don't care much for Queen Máxima's office decoration either,minus the overpowering wallpaper it wouldn't be too bad.

Does anyone know where to find Queen Maxima iPad stand? Thank you !

The planting of new Canadian maple tree at the Palace Huis ten Bosch in the Hague.

Modekoninginmaxima has written an article about some of the art works in Huis ten Bosch. Some paintings of birds in King Willem-Alexander's office are by the late 18th century painter Aert Schouman .

https://www.modekoninginmaxima.nl/e...derijen-in-de-werkkamer-van-willem-alexander/

The article also talks about 5 paintings stadholder Willem V ordered of Schouman. Together they cover 30 sq. meters and they were meant for the Stadholderly Quarters at the Binnenhof in The Hague. Six years after they were ordered the stadholder fled to London. Louis Napoleon moved this wall decoration to the attics of Huis ten Bosch, where they remained for 150 years. They were rediscovered during the restoration of the palace after Beatrix' inauguration and they were moved to the black dining room.

After Willem-Alexander's inauguration they were restored in an Atelier in Limburg and displayed at the museum of Dordrecht.

The king and queen apparently took an interest in the artist. The chairman of the royal collections found more paintings, which were acquired for nearly 40.000 Euros and they are now being restored.

The paintings in the office of the King are upper parts of the collection made for Willem V. The inspiration for the artist was the collection of tropical animals of the stadholder.

Back
Top Bottom