The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Old 09-09-2021, 05:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

The King gets the critics from animal activists and all sorts of what grabs anything just for being against something. But the annual closure of the Crown Domains predate his very life. Queen Juliana had little interest in the Crown Domains, so her daughter Princess Beatrix got a seat in the Board and practically was in charge since 1971, when the King was four years old.

So King Willem-Alexander conveniently is portrayed as a hunter wanting to shoot his Christmas dinner but the current management structures of the Crown Domain, the beheersplan (management plan), the organigram, the licenses, permissions, wild management, all predate his "rule" as Bearer of the Crown and so as manager of the Crown Domains. The management plan of the Crown Domains is in close cooperation with the State Domains and with the Province of Guelders, two other major landowners in the same region.

By hindsight Queen Wilhelmina better donated the Crown Domans to one of the Orange-Nassau family foundations instead of "to the People". King Willem-Alexander would then not have all this nosey-pokey into "his" affairs. But at the same time: the Golden State Carriage, not at all owned by the State, it's restoration paid for by the King, will probably never be used again with the same society and politicians pressing on the Cabinet.

So probably, even when the Crown Domains were not donated 'to the People' in 1956 but placed into an Orange-Nassau Family Foundation, all and everyone would blab their opinion about it as well, pressuring the King to do this or to do that.

Illustrative is that citizens of Brussels for years demand that the Royal Domain of Laeken should be opened for "the people" because they see it as unfair that one man has such a big park in densely populated Brussels. That domain was part of the Royal Donation of King Leopold II to the State, on condition of usufruct for the King. More or less the same as with Het Loo.

But that does not stop people to demand this and to demand that. That unique flora and fauna at Crown Domain Het Loo of the Royal Domain of Laeken thrive because of the serenity and lack of people, is of course easily woven away by the same 'nature / animal lovers'.
Old 02-21-2022, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Palace Het Loo will re-open on April 15th. Tickes can be booked online.

https://paleishetloo.nl/over/nieuws/...is-bijna-klaar

Many rooms have been refreshed and all the asbestos has been removed.

https://paleishetloo.nl/over/nieuws/...van-het-paleis

They have been adding a room of Prince Bernhard:

Old 02-21-2022, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Just in time for the Easter Holidays

Lots of wonderful restoration work.
Old 02-25-2022, 12:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Willem V (1748-1806) had the layout of the upper garden remodeled in more natural landscape style, after the fashion of the day, by the architect Philip W. Schonck.
Old 03-12-2022, 07:20 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Willem V (1748-1806) had the layout of the upper garden remodeled in more natural landscape style, after the fashion of the day, by the architect Philip W. Schonck.
And King Louis Napoleon changed it into a pelouse,and english garden,odly enough..

The Palace will open soon again after a long and thorough but beautifull restauration.

https://paleishetloo.nl/en
Old 03-21-2022, 03:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Het Oude Loo Castle (a country house and guest residence of the Dutch Royal Family) will become a shelter place for up to 30 Ukrainian refugees.

https://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/actuee...-vluchtelingen
Old 03-24-2022, 10:28 AM
Majesty

i am so happy to hear that WA and maxima have made available het loo to house ukrainian refugees. i wonder how many families they can host there and what the hosting situation is like as i assume there's not enclosed spaces one can give to a family for example, my guess is that individual rooms will be provided to individual people? in any case, it is a very generous offer and it shows they are walking the walk! i also wonder what they will do as i assume there's many artifacts in the palace which may be easily breakable/fragile which is probably tricky with families with small children. in any case, a lovely gesture. hope other families follow suit.
Old 03-24-2022, 10:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
i am so happy to hear that WA and maxima have made available het loo to house ukrainian refugees. i wonder how many families they can host there and what the hosting situation is like as i assume there's not enclosed spaces one can give to a family for example, my guess is that individual rooms will be provided to individual people? in any case, it is a very generous offer and it shows they are walking the walk! i also wonder what they will do as i assume there's many artifacts in the palace which may be easily breakable/fragile which is probably tricky with families with small children. in any case, a lovely gesture. hope other families follow suit.
In the media it was stated that the top floors of the mediaeval castle were used as accomodation for staff, so it is more or less already basically "ready". This building apparently can 8 families, between 20 to 30 persons.

The castle in the woods

They will live in fabulous lush green surroundings as the caste is surrounded by the Crown Domain Het Loo (7.900 hectare of forests, 1.550 hectare of moorlands en 250 hectare of agriculture grounds) which was given to the State by Queen Wilhelmina with the condition of usufruct by the Bearer of the Crown.

The up to 8 Ukrainian families to be housed there will feel like awaking in a dream:

The castle in the woods
Old 04-08-2022, 11:44 AM
Administrator

The renovated Palace Het Loo has been photograped this week:

** ppe gallery **
Old 04-08-2022, 12:04 PM
Administrator

The rooms are looking great, everything is in an excellent shape. The court yard still needs some works and will apparently only be finished in 2023.

It would be interesting to know which rooms were changed & how. I am not sure if all the pieces from Soestdijk were used for the Royal Palace in Amsterdam, Perhaps some items were added here? And I believe the room of Prince Bernhard is new.
Old 04-08-2022, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
The rooms are looking great, everything is in an excellent shape. The court yard still needs some works and will apparently only be finished in 2023.

So the Palace is only opening next year and not this year as it had been announced

Old 04-08-2022, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Queen Wilhelmina was the last royal resident at the Het Loo Palace and died here in 1962 it was also used as a summer-residence of the House of Orange-Nassau.

The restoration work is coming along very nicely.
Old 04-08-2022, 01:57 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
So the Palace is only opening next year and not this year as it had been announced
No, you are mistaken, that some outside renovations still need to take place doesn't mean that the palace won't be open for the public. The palace is opening this month! This weekend they'll do trial runs for 2000 visitors in total and from next Saturday onwards it will open again for the general public.

The Palace conservators have tried to present more of a story line instead of jumping back and forth between various centuries. Another major difference is that for the first time visitors will be allowed to use the state stairs. Until now that had been reserved for the royals and royal occasions.

See this story by NOS (in Dutch).
Old 04-08-2022, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
No, you are mistaken, that some outside renovations still need to take place doesn't mean that the palace won't be open for the public. The palace is opening this month! This weekend they'll do trial runs for 2000 visitors in total and from next Saturday onwards it will open again for the general public

Ah thanks.Was confused because at the pics on PPE it says opening in 2023

Old 04-08-2022, 02:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

The restoration work on the palace is very good.
Old 04-08-2022, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Queen Wilhelmina was the last royal resident at the Het Loo Palace and died here in 1962 it was also used as a summer-residence of the House of Orange-Nassau.

The restoration work is coming along very nicely.
I believe Princess Margriet and her family lived there for a few years, before it was decided to turn it into a museum & a bungolow was built on the estate.

Quote:
=Somebody]The Palace conservators have tried to present more of a story line instead of jumping back and forth between various centuries. Another major difference is that for the first time visitors will be allowed to use the state stairs. Until now that had been reserved for the royals and royal occasions.
Interesting article, it is the first time I realised that they were doing this. It makes sense as more and more museums are doing the same. And the ones that do not usually are difficult to follow unless you have significant knowledge of the topic beforehand.

I did not have the impression in the old museum that we were jumping back and forth & appreciated to see a room for each king and queen in -what I though was- a succession, with a few exceptions of course. But it seems that now they will be focussing on how things looked in the time of William III and Mary II on the one hand -already a focal point before- and in Queen Wilhelmina's days on the other hand. I wonder if that means a lot of things were removed? Such as the salon with the embroidened chairs of and by Queen Anna Pavlovna? The depressing heavy furniture of Queen Sophie, etc? And if so, what will they do with all the furniture that is left? The article states that the rooms of William and Mary will be mostly empty, as was the custom in their days.
Old 04-08-2022, 06:47 PM
Courtier

I'm stunned at the cost of the work done on Het Loo Palace.
Old 04-08-2022, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I believe Princess Margriet and her family lived there for a few years, before it was decided to turn it into a museum & a bungolow was built on the estate.
I'd forgotten that Princess Margriet and her husband have a new build on the estate.
Old 04-09-2022, 04:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

Interesting article, it is the first time I realised that they were doing this. It makes sense as more and more museums are doing the same. And the ones that do not usually are difficult to follow unless you have significant knowledge of the topic beforehand.

I did not have the impression in the old museum that we were jumping back and forth & appreciated to see a room for each king and queen in -what I though was- a succession, with a few exceptions of course. But it seems that now they will be focussing on how things looked in the time of William III and Mary II on the one hand -already a focal point before- and in Queen Wilhelmina's days on the other hand. I wonder if that means a lot of things were removed? Such as the salon with the embroidened chairs of and by Queen Anna Pavlovna? The depressing heavy furniture of Queen Sophie, etc? And if so, what will they do with all the furniture that is left? The article states that the rooms of William and Mary will be mostly empty, as was the custom in their days.
There is a big underground extension and I can imagine salons "lost" will be re-created in that extension.
Old 04-10-2022, 08:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

Clever solution: the palace ordered carpets in the same wood pattern as the wooden floor. To give an idea of the original 17th C "bare" look but at the same time protect the floors.

Example: this is a woven carpet in one of the galleries: picture

Tags
palace