Palace Het Loo & the Royal Domains, Apeldoorn

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The rooms are looking great, everything is in an excellent shape. The court yard still needs some works and will apparently only be finished in 2023.

So the Palace is only opening next year and not this year as it had been announced

Queen Wilhelmina was the last royal resident at the Het Loo Palace and died here in 1962 it was also used as a summer-residence of the House of Orange-Nassau.

The restoration work is coming along very nicely.

So the Palace is only opening next year and not this year as it had been announced

No, you are mistaken, that some outside renovations still need to take place doesn't mean that the palace won't be open for the public. The palace is opening this month! This weekend they'll do trial runs for 2000 visitors in total and from next Saturday onwards it will open again for the general public.

The Palace conservators have tried to present more of a story line instead of jumping back and forth between various centuries. Another major difference is that for the first time visitors will be allowed to use the state stairs. Until now that had been reserved for the royals and royal occasions.

See this story by NOS (in Dutch).

Last edited:
No, you are mistaken, that some outside renovations still need to take place doesn't mean that the palace won't be open for the public. The palace is opening this month! This weekend they'll do trial runs for 2000 visitors in total and from next Saturday onwards it will open again for the general public

Ah thanks.Was confused because at the pics on PPE it says opening in 2023

The restoration work on the palace is very good.

Queen Wilhelmina was the last royal resident at the Het Loo Palace and died here in 1962 it was also used as a summer-residence of the House of Orange-Nassau.

The restoration work is coming along very nicely.

I believe Princess Margriet and her family lived there for a few years, before it was decided to turn it into a museum & a bungolow was built on the estate.

=Somebody]The Palace conservators have tried to present more of a story line instead of jumping back and forth between various centuries. Another major difference is that for the first time visitors will be allowed to use the state stairs. Until now that had been reserved for the royals and royal occasions.

Interesting article, it is the first time I realised that they were doing this. It makes sense as more and more museums are doing the same. And the ones that do not usually are difficult to follow unless you have significant knowledge of the topic beforehand.

I did not have the impression in the old museum that we were jumping back and forth & appreciated to see a room for each king and queen in -what I though was- a succession, with a few exceptions of course. But it seems that now they will be focussing on how things looked in the time of William III and Mary II on the one hand -already a focal point before- and in Queen Wilhelmina's days on the other hand. I wonder if that means a lot of things were removed? Such as the salon with the embroidened chairs of and by Queen Anna Pavlovna? The depressing heavy furniture of Queen Sophie, etc? And if so, what will they do with all the furniture that is left? The article states that the rooms of William and Mary will be mostly empty, as was the custom in their days.

Last edited:
I'm stunned at the cost of the work done on Het Loo Palace.

I believe Princess Margriet and her family lived there for a few years, before it was decided to turn it into a museum & a bungolow was built on the estate.

I'd forgotten that Princess Margriet and her husband have a new build on the estate.

Interesting article, it is the first time I realised that they were doing this. It makes sense as more and more museums are doing the same. And the ones that do not usually are difficult to follow unless you have significant knowledge of the topic beforehand.

I did not have the impression in the old museum that we were jumping back and forth & appreciated to see a room for each king and queen in -what I though was- a succession, with a few exceptions of course. But it seems that now they will be focussing on how things looked in the time of William III and Mary II on the one hand -already a focal point before- and in Queen Wilhelmina's days on the other hand. I wonder if that means a lot of things were removed? Such as the salon with the embroidened chairs of and by Queen Anna Pavlovna? The depressing heavy furniture of Queen Sophie, etc? And if so, what will they do with all the furniture that is left? The article states that the rooms of William and Mary will be mostly empty, as was the custom in their days.

There is a big underground extension and I can imagine salons "lost" will be re-created in that extension.

Clever solution: the palace ordered carpets in the same wood pattern as the wooden floor. To give an idea of the original 17th C "bare" look but at the same time protect the floors.

Example: this is a woven carpet in one of the galleries: picture

Palace Het Loo will open its doors to the public again from Friday 15 April. Curators Johan de Haan, Hanna Klarenbeek and Paul Rem show the special places.

:previous:

Interesting article. The palace will be re-opened on the 21st by the King. I hope his aunt Pss Margriet will be there too as she lives next door and she is the member of the RF that is most commited to the palace.

The enomous underground extension is spectacular and the hard promise was that the 17th C outlook would not be disturbed. That is another conviction than the giant glass pyramid in of the former Louvre Palace in Paris.

This are some the glassplates on the basse-cour, hidden under some water from the fountain, which hides the enormous extension under the 17th C palace:
https://i.regiogroei.cloud/fn_check...x620/8ab32906-5023-34c2-9f16-72d90697024b.jpg

Imagine guests arriving for a gala banquet and walking over this basse-cour:
https://paleishetloo.nl/img/contain...our.jpg/74c12d1ee1e9a7cd4a08bafdc61c53e6.webp

This is how it looks below these glassplates. One can see Spanish marble stone walls and big oak doors. The riddle of the water on the glassplates is projected on the walls:
https://images0.persgroep.net/rcs/u...851550a453bd7f&quality=0.8&desiredformat=webp

For visitors the entrance to the palace is now at one of the side pavillions which has a stairway and elevators leading to the extension, there are the garderobes, the toilets, the coffee corner, etc. :
https://images0.persgroep.net/rcs/6...851550a453bd7f&quality=0.8&desiredformat=webp

There is also a new entrance for visitors, made of rusted steel, with patterns inspired by the baroque gardens:
https://paleishetloo.nl/img/contain...dag.jpg/00dbcee95c477311dd33659d2a6fe9a8.webp

The same gate in the dark:
https://paleishetloo.nl/img/contain...cht.jpg/8e0d4c97e98f1bd22612a7b29f294290.webp

In the basements visitors can see explanation films on beautiful screens not out of key with the historic environment:
https://paleishetloo.nl/img/contain...eis.jpg/822484a42f725d4008987bb1e63a02ea.webp

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom