Other Buildings Connected to the Orange-Nassaus

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
Here a pictures of villa Hoogcate and villa 't Waelre in Katwijk aan Zee. Princess Juliana lived in villa 't Waelre from 1927 to 1930 when she studied in Leiden from She stayed in the villa with 3 friends. The villa next door was rented for her private secretairy, baron Baud.

The villa's were previously owned by painters Menso Kamerlingh Onnes and Jan Toorop.

http://www.lalicorne.nl/katwijk_files/image007.jpg

On the left is the end of the Old Rhine. The building on the left is villa Sigrid, where painter Morgenstjerne Munthe once lived. The building was bought by the Rotterdam business man Josse Emile René Trousselot. His son René had it demolished and replaced by a modern villa, which now is a (shabby) hotel.

The villa's where the princess and her suite stayed were all demolished during WWII, like almost every building close to the sea side, as the Germans were building walls along the coast line.

When she left in 1930, she gave the village this statue, to commemorate the visherman who died at sea during WWI. I don't believe Queen juliana liked her time in the village too much btw. She wanted to enjoy student life, be less in the spotlights etc, and everywhere she went people were gazing at her, cheering etc. I assume she spent most time in Leiden.

Last edited:
A picture of the Niederlandisches Palais in Berlin:

untitled-3.jpg

(copyrights expired)

In 1803 or 1805 prince Willem VI (later king Willem I) bought a modest palace in Berlin, at the Unter den linden no. 36. He lived here until he was able to go back to The Netherlands from excile, after Napoleons fall. When the king he had to abdicate in 1840 because Belgium seperated from the Northern part of the United Netherlands, ánd because he married a catholic Belgian countess (among other things), the king moved back to Berlin. he died in this palace in 1843.After his death it was inherited by his 2nd son, prince Frederik, who was married to princess Luise of Prussia (youngest sister of Emperor Wilhelm I). When he died in 1881, the palace was inherited by his grand daughter, Queen Louise of Denmark, née Pss of Sweden, who sold it to the Prussian state.

Last edited:
An interesting article from the 'Reformatorisch Dagblad' (in Dutch):

Emma

It is about the estate Grunsfoort in Renkum. The estate was bought by king Willem III in 1881 for his 2nd wife Emma, because the Queen missed the landscape of Arolsen. Renkum. They changed the name to Oranje-Nassau Oord and the mansion was enlarged. In June 1883 the king and queen were able to go to the place for their first stay there.

The king was busy with hunting and making furniture (!). In 1890 the king died, and his widow became regent. Emma had little time and didn't visit the place very often anymore. In 1898, she received a national present of 300.000 guilders to thank her for her regency. She used this money to change the mansion and the estate to a sanatorium for TBC patients (for which she also used 200.000 guilders of her own money). In 1901 this was opened by Queen Wilhelmina, int he presence of Queen-widow Emma and prince Hendrik.

Aerial view: http://www.bergraceofftheroad.nl/images/stories/gfx/luchtfoto-ONO_800.jpg
front: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8c/Onopaleis.jpg

Other buildings connected to the Royal House?The Royal waiting rooms of Amsterdam Central Station and The Hague HS,Utrecht and Baarn will follow soon:

NS Koninklijke Wachtkamers

Last edited:
Was it a former country residence?

:flowers:Oh what a beautiful home........and give me the library now, that is my room for sure, would stay there all day and night with all those books and my needlework, never to leave..........dreamin again!

Was it a former country residence?

The house was owned by 'Princesses' Elisabeth Maria and Emilia Louisa 'of Portugal', at the time the house was called the house of the princesses (Princessenhuys). Their great grandfather, Dom Antonio Prior of Crato was a bastard son of Infante Luis, Duke of of Beja (3rd son of King Manuel I of Portugal). Dom Antonio tried to put up a rival claim to the throne of Portugal but had to escape from the Spanish as Philip II invaded the country. He moved to Holland, with his sons, among them Emmanuel.

A daughter of Willem I 'the silent' and Anna of Saxony, Emilia of Orange-Nassau fell in love with Manuel. Her brother stadholder Maurits absolutely forbade the match, but in his absence the couple married. The marriage was an unhappy one: they seperated after 29 years. Her husband deserted to the Spanish side and moved to Brussels.
Countess Emilia of Nassau - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Their eldest son Manuel married a poor countess of Hanau. The couple had four daughters, only two survived to adulthood: Emilia and Elisabeth. They bought the house in 1677 but bequated it to stadholder Willem III in later. He wasn't too interested in the property and sold it after some years.

The present owner is somebody who has a real estate company.

Last edited:
I can not find the entry for the Stadtholderly Court in Leeuwarden, so I post it here in "other residences".

The Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam has re-opened another wing and in there the most stunning Chinese Cabinet from the Stadtholderly Court in Leeuwarden (Friesland):
http://content.nos.nl/data/image/xxl/2014/10/24/713527.jpg

The Stadtholderly Court was sold by Queen Juliana in 1971. Precious items from the palace inventory were carefully stored in depôts. The fantastic Chinese Cabinet has been given in usufruct to the Rijksmuseum. The former Stadtholderly Court now is a hotel: http://www.detectivedinner.nl/image.php?i=132&ext=.jpg

A simple building in a provincial town but once with stunning interiors (like the Chinese Chamber above). There still are some nice salons but of course the true royal grandeur is lost now: http://www.meetingspot.nl/uploads/img/photogallery/nassau_zaal_001/nassau_zaal_001_447x338.jpg

Back
Top Bottom