The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Old 02-16-2015, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Wolf Hall's Thomas Cromwell was really a 'bullying monster' says Simon Schama

Simon Schama criticises Wolf Hall portrayal of Thomas Cromwell | History | News | Daily Express
Old 02-18-2015, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The truth about the Wolf Hall

The truth about the Wolf Hall codpieces: an interview with costume designer Joanna Eatwell | History Extra
Old 02-19-2015, 11:46 AM
Heir Apparent

I thought Damian Lewis was brilliant in the latest episode aired last night. His very public telling off of Cromwell showed for the first time the true extent of Henry's volatility and the potential dangers of being at the whim of someone who wields absolute power. Mark Rylance's wonderful reaction shots demonstrated there's nothing you can do but grin and bear it and hope you come through relatively unscathed. Henry's attempt at a reapproachment was a treat to watch. Anne, meanwhile (the equally wonderful Claire Foy) is undergoing a sudden awakening to how vulnerable her position is without Henry's continued desire for her. It's gripping stuff and sadly just one episode left.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:54 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
A toddler has landed a role as Elizabeth I in the BBC's Wolf Hall - after producers put out a last-minute appeal for a ginger curly-haired child.
Casting bosses searched through thousands of children on acting registers but couldn't find a suitable young actress to play the future Queen of England.
Red-haired Abi Ward, now three, from Cardiff, was recommended by a friend who saw the plea on Facebook and within days the tot was on set alongside her on-screen dad Damien Lewis.
Wolf Hall producers turn to Facebook to cast a child to play Elizabeth I | Daily Mail Online

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 03-15-2015, 03:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

I have all episodes of Wolf Hall, I started watching episode 1 but turned it off after the first episode. The storyline is not clear and the characters did not get a grip on me. Maybe because of an overdose in Tudor series and films. I will try it once again after a couple of months.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

So isn't it worth seeing?
Old 03-15-2015, 03:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Everyone is hallelujah! about it. So maybe I have to give it a new try.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:38 PM
Heir Apparent

The first episode is a little confusing, since there are many personalities to 'meet' and [of necessity] there are jumps back,and forward in time.
But if you stick with it your perseverance is well rewarded in subsequent episodes and IMO it beats other 'Tudor' series into a cocked hat in every respect - in acting most especially.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
The first episode is a little confusing, since there are many personalities to 'meet' and [of necessity] there are jumps back,and forward in time.
But if you stick with it your perseverance is well rewarded in subsequent episodes and IMO it beats other 'Tudor' series into a cocked hat in every respect - in acting most especially.
I agree with you,after the first episode I was hooked and it has been by far the best historical production by the BBC in a long time!
Old 03-29-2015, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Damian Lewis on playing Henry VIII in PBS' 'Wolf Hall': He 'was a Renaissance rock star'

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.2163339

Old 03-30-2015, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Anne Boleyn - Wolf Hall: Trailer - BBC Two

Old 03-30-2015, 05:14 PM
Courtier

This show will air on my local PBS channel at the end of April and I'm so excited! I read the book so I'm curious to see if they did a good job at adapting it for the small screen. From all your reviews it seems like it's a resounding yes!
Old 03-30-2015, 08:15 PM
Moderator Emeritus

I watched the entire show last week. I liked the fact that it wasn't a bunch of smutty trash glammed up to pander to a certain type of audience like The Tudors was. I refuse to watch shows like that any longer. I have nothing against taking some sort of creative license with history but not to the point that it becomes completely meaningless. Clair Foy did a really good job as Anne Boleyn. Damian Lewis was okay, I wasn't blown away by him. He's not my favourite Henry VIII. Mark Rylance was really good though. His Cromwell is so different from any of the others I've seen in the past, so much more human.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The character of Anne Boleyn was portrayed as a pretty despicable and conniving in this series,Claire Foy did a wonderful job as Anne.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Wolf Hall: Premiere's Tonight on PBS Masterpiece- 9pm US-
Inside Wolf Hall | Masterpiece | PBS

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-06-2015, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Review of Wolf Hall, Episode 1: Three Card Trick

Review of Wolf Hall, Episode 1: Three Card Trick
Old 04-06-2015, 04:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think Cromwell saw his sleeping wife on the staircase when he was leaving the house. I think that should have told him something was wrong. I picked up on that as soon as the scene occurred.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-06-2015, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I enjoyed this series so much that I bought the dvd boxset over the Easter Holiday weekend!
Old 04-06-2015, 06:13 PM
Courtier

It's about to start in Australia but I've ordered the box set anyway, based on the superb reviews which I've read. And this, too, is one of my 'special periods' so I'm eagerly awaiting it. If it's half as good as the novel then I will find it outstanding, I'm sure: nothing like as slipshod and inaccurate, for example, as The White Queen, which I stopped watching as I found it immensely irritating.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

‘Wolf Hall’ Recap: Cromwell Shows Us His Two Sides

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com//2...his-two-sides/